What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

32-Hour Work Week (1 Viewer)

I don't recall it being mentioned in the discussion...but 1 less day of commute/travel time & expense would be a monumental gain for me. That's one of the main reasons that I would gladly move from a regular 5x8 to a 4x10. But now I am seeing the heavy part of the discussion being about 4x8? Very interesting to me. But if a pay decrease comes part of the package, I would not be in favor of that. Even with the 1 less day of commute to and from work.

Split the difference and make it 4x9 but with no salary reduction. Win/win scenario. Corporate looks like the hero and staff will be happy to have an extra leisure day … or get a side gig for more $$$.

Split the difference and make it 4x9 but with no salary reduction. Win/win scenario. Corporate looks like the hero and staff will be happy to have an extra leisure day … or get a side gig for more $$$.
My first job out of college was 37.5. basically you were there for 8 but lunch counted.

So you could work 3 10s and an 8. Was awesome

My first job out of college was 37.5. basically you were there for 8 but lunch counted.

Many in our office work what they refer to as “compressed schedule”. You basically work 45 minutes longer every day for 9 days and get the 10th day off. I’d say about 50% of my staff are on this type of setup.

What pay decrease would you live with for a 20% reduction in work time?
That seems entirely dependent on tax
Does it? I think most of us can come up with a number regardless of tax implications. I would take pretty close to a 20% hit to only have to work 4 days
I'm looking it in the context of someone giving a percentage right after you posted. If I'm at a point where a 10% pay cut is all at the same rate, then fine, it's not overly relevant. If that sort of cut results in me going to a lower tax bracket where a chunk of the cut actually results in greater take home pro rata, then that's different. Obviously I'm talking from a different tax jurisdiction, but I'm in a spot where I'm in no immediate rush to try to upgrade my pay in a new job on account of I've only just started hitting a new rate

I’m already part time, so working less days overall makes little difference. But I’d take a 20% cut, if my 7-shift blocks were guaranteed to be two threes, with a decompression day in between, plus one less hour/day.

I already have half day Fridays so my technical work week is only 36 hours.

I’m sure in some positions if can and will work, but not sure how it’s going to work for manufacturing, teachers, service industry, etc
Curious why you think it wouldn’t work for teachers?

I’m basing it on a standard 5 day 8 hour work week. I don’t see the schools shifting to a 4 day week
Yeah. School doubles as daycare for many too and having a different math teacher every Friday I just see don’t see being very effective. While maybe this would help keep teachers in the field and attract more new teachers, there is a huge shortage now and you would need a lot more staff to try to schedule that fifth day and still deliver meaningful instruction.

Many in our office work what they refer to as “compressed schedule”. You basically work 45 minutes longer every day for 9 days and get the 10th day off. I’d say about 50% of my staff are on this type of setup.
Yes I'm familiar with 9/80. And 4-10. I worked 9/80. Ours was 8.. 9 hour days. (9.5 with lunch) and 8 hour (8.5) on the 9th day. Worked that for 10 years before I went 4-10s.

The 37.5 was just awesome

M-f 7:30 to 3:30 or
M 7:30 - 5:30 t-th 7:30-4:30 off every Friday or
M-W 7:30-5:30. Th 7:30- 3:30 off every Friday.

We just had to submit our 2 week blocks 1 week in advance.

Sometimes I'd switch it up

M-T 7:30-5:30 off wed th 7:30-5:30 Friday 7:30-3:30

That 2.5 hours really makes it better

I’m sure in some positions if can and will work, but not sure how it’s going to work for manufacturing, teachers, service industry, etc

I’m basing it on a standard 5 day 8 hour work week. I don’t see the schools shifting to a 4 day week
Yeah. School doubles as daycare for many too and having a different math teacher every Friday I just see don’t see being very effective. While maybe this would help keep teachers in the field and attract more new teachers, there is a huge shortage now and you would need a lot more staff to try to schedule that fifth day and still deliver meaningful instruction.
Couldn’t they stagger the teachers. Half do a Mon - Thu, other half do a Tue - Fri? Obviously you need to get creative with scheduling

Couldn’t they stagger the teachers. Half do a Mon - Thu, other half do a Tue - Fri? Obviously you need to get creative with scheduling
The kids would have twice as many classes on Tuesday-Thursday but half as much timr would be one model.

But generally breaking up the continuity of same teacher/same kids/same content up that much could be bad.

Heck, you basically have to teach them how to act like humans again for 2 days after any kind of break now.

Related I suppose. I'm closing in on "retiring" and then going to work somewhere about 20-30 hours a week just to keep busy. But I found out my employer offers full benefits at 20 hours a week so I might just stay where I'm at if I can get them on board with that in a few years. Wife is 3.5 years younger so I'll need medical for her until she makes it to medicare age.

Texas already has four day districts. Not sure how they are doing, I expect it's a disaster.

The kids would have twice as many classes on Tuesday-Thursday but half as much timr would be one model.

But generally breaking up the continuity of same teacher/same kids/same content up that much could be bad.

Heck, you basically have to teach them how to act like humans again for 2 days after any kind of break now.
One giant gym class all day long on Fridays.

I'm in. I work a 4 day now but 4-10s.

That being said for me 32 hours I could still get my work done no problem. My job I'm sure like others has ebbs and flows. I can have "nothing" to do a couple days, to up in my eyeballs others. It all depends

The question is would you take pay cuts and or PTO cut for this to happen
In theory you keep the same pay. Not sure about PTO, that may have to drop a bit.

I think there is something to paying employees by task/production vs hours.
All of my excess PTO as is just goes to manufacturing long weekends anyway.

The department I resigned from recently was increasing work expectations for many roles to 55+ hours a week. Not sure they would have gone for this.

Would you support legislation that makes 32 hours full time and hours over that required to be paid at OT rates?
Good lord no.
I'm conflicted on it. I agree its probably a bad idea for the government to get involved. However I like the idea on its face and think there is a lot of positive data supporting a reduced work week. The problem is that the majority of companies won't go for it unless incentivized.

32-40 would be straight time.... over 40 OT or is it 44 now? I forget what the reg is.

*This is hourly - I assume salary already work more than 40 - which i don't agree with either but it is what it is

i sort of feel like covid separated a lot of wheat from chaff and those that made it through are now so busy that there is all the time you want it would be nice to see it dial back a little bit take that to the bank bromigos

Would you support legislation that makes 32 hours full time and hours over that required to be paid at OT rates?
Good lord no.
I'm conflicted on it. I agree its probably a bad idea for the government to get involved. However I like the idea on its face and think there is a lot of positive data supporting a reduced work week. The problem is that the majority of companies won't go for it unless incentivized.
The problem is you're applying the theory across the board. There are so many businesses and jobs that are production, performance, or service industry based where this model would certainly not work unless the pay is also reduced by the same rate. And even if payroll is reduced by the same rate you're not considering that the cost of overhead is remaining the same.

Everyone at this point seems to want to work less and get paid more. Of course they do. It's great, in theory. But, at some point unless other serious sacrifices are made this system is going to implode.

Good lord no.
The problem is you're applying the theory across the board. There are so many businesses and jobs that are production, performance, or service industry based where this model would certainly not work unless the pay is also reduced by the same rate. And even if payroll is reduced by the same rate you're not considering that the cost of overhead is remaining the same.

Everyone at this point seems to want to work less and get paid more. Of course they do. It's great, in theory. But, at some point unless other serious sacrifices are made this system is going to implode.

How did it work the other 5 times the work week was reduced?

The issue here is that as a whole, less work for the same pay is essentially "back-owed". On average productivity is up 400% over what it was when the 40 hour work week was first instituted, but inflation adjusted wages and the length of the workweek are both essentially flat (and CEO salaries and corporate profits up about a zillion percent).

If we'd done it linearly, we should all be working 10 hour weeks by now and we'd still be outputting as much as we did in 1940 when the 40 hour work week was first introduced. If we'd done it fairly and linearly and split that production increase, we'd all be working 20 hours weeks and production would still be up 200% over what it was back when we first started working 40. Instead, we've given up that entire 400% increase in production for free.

So we can say "you can't just produce less and get paid the same without sacrificing any of that pay". But we've been doing the opposite for the last 80 years. Producing more and getting paid the same, and working the same amount.

Why is it completely acceptable for corporations to get more output for the same amount of money, but completely incomprehensible that they might get less output for the same amount of money? Especially when they've already spent the last 80 years building up a surplus of extra output for no extra money?

I totally get that those numbers are a broader metric that may not apply to all fields (like restaurants etc). So I'm genuinely wondering how that worked when the work week was reduced in the past. I'm sure there were plenty of restaurant owners saying "restaurants can't exist with a 40 hour work week!" back then. Yet they still exist.

Last edited:
Good lord no.
Is this answer because you don't think the government should be involved at all in defining when OT kicks in, or because you think 40 (or some other number) is the appropriate number?
When I was a kid, the US and EU were in comparable places in terms of wealth. Now there is a fairly massive gulf between us. Let's not jump off that bridge just because our buddies did.

Good lord no.
Is this answer because you don't think the government should be involved at all in defining when OT kicks in, or because you think 40 (or some other number) is the appropriate number?
When I was a kid, the US and EU were in comparable places in terms of wealth. Now there is a fairly massive gulf between us. Let's not jump off that bridge just because our buddies did.
I don't think that answers the question, unless you're saying you just think 40 (or some other number rather than 32) is the appropriate number.

Good lord no.

I know this isn't feasible for all industries. Tip based jobs probably don't have any room. Production would need to eat some of the costs. They probably won't like that, but it's time to relook at some things.

My counter point is that since the 80s workplace productivity has outpaced worker income by 3.5x. The trend lines are continuing to grow further apart. Each year more technology and innovation are coming online that increases production. The same man hours are going in, but the production and profits are accelerating. So I don't think it's fair to say a reduction in manpower would cause the system to fail. Yes, it is going to eat at production and profit, but industries have been banking those upticks for years while not bringing the workforce along with them.

Sure, as a whole EU does not compare but there are plenty of countries in the EU that have more or similar wealth per capita as the US.

Sure, as a whole EU does not compare but there are plenty of countries in the EU that have more or similar wealth per capita as the US.

Yeah, on median wealth per adult the US ranks 15th, behind 9 EU countries. And that 15th is essentially tied for 15th with 2 additional EU countries.

Yeah, on median wealth per adult the US ranks 15th, behind 9 EU countries. And that 15th is essentially tied for 15th with 2 additional EU countries.
And on the more important mean wealth metric the US ranks 3rd only behind those global economic powerhouses Switzerland and Luxembourg. No other EU countries sniff the US's collective wealth.

Last edited:

And on the more important mean wealth metric the US ranks 3rd only behind those global economic powerhouses Switzerland and Luxembourg. No other EU countries sniff the US's collective wealth.

Curious why mean would be considered more important than median? Yes we have more wealth inequality and outrageously rich billionaires that drive up the mean against the median and that's....a good thing?

Curious why mean would be considered more important than median? Yes we have more wealth inequality and outrageously rich billionaires that drive up the mean against the median and that's....a good thing?
Because mean is a better measure collective wealth, i.e. the wealth of the entire system. Beyond that I'm not gonna take the political bait.

In addition, isn't it a bit misleading to say the US (250mm adults) ranks behind 9 EU countries, when many of those countries don't come close to comparing in terms of size and diversity (e.g. Luxembourg = 504K, Denmark = 4.5mm, Switzerland = 7mm, etc, etc.).

Last edited:
Good lord no.

The issue here is that as a whole, less work for the same pay is essentially "back-owed". On average productivity is up 400% over what it was when the 40 hour work week was first instituted, but inflation adjusted wages and the length of the workweek are both essentially flat (and CEO salaries and corporate profits up about a zillion percent).

If we'd done it linearly, we should all be working 10 hour weeks by now and we'd still be outputting as much as we did in 1940 when the 40 hour work week was first introduced. If we'd done it fairly and linearly and split that production increase, we'd all be working 20 hours weeks and production would still be up 200% over what it was back when we first started working 40. Instead, we've given up that entire 400% increase in production for free.

So we can say "you can't just produce less and get paid the same without sacrificing any of that pay". But we've been doing the opposite for the last 80 years. Producing more and getting paid the same, and working the same amount.

Why is it completely acceptable for corporations to get more output for the same amount of money, but completely incomprehensible that they might get less output for the same amount of money? Especially when they've already spent the last 80 years building up a surplus of extra output for no extra money?

I totally get that those numbers are a broader metric that may not apply to all fields (like restaurants etc). So I'm genuinely wondering how that worked when the work week was reduced in the past. I'm sure there were plenty of restaurant owners saying "restaurants can't exist with a 40 hour work week!" back then. Yet they still exist.
Who made the investments in the infrastructure and technological advancements allowing the productivity to increase 400%?

It wasn’t the 40 hour per week employee.

I’m also not really talking about giant corporations banking billions in profits year after year by gouging customers and overworking employees because they’ve got people waiting in line to take their jobs.

Humans are losing jobs left and right to AI and technology and our response to that is to hold corporations hostage for a shorter work week and the same pay/benefits? Good luck.

Good lord no.

Who made the investments in the infrastructure and technological advancements allowing the productivity to increase 400%?

It wasn’t the 40 hour per week employee.

I’m also not really talking about giant corporations banking billions in profits year after year by gouging customers and overworking employees because they’ve got people waiting in line to take their jobs.

I'm pretty sure Jack in the Box didn't invent the computer. Nor Bobby J's Corporate Staffing Solutions. Nor the majority of the other tens of thousands of companies benefitting from the increased production it has brought.

And if the goal is to say the broader metaphysical entity of "companies" did it so "companies" should retain all the benefits, it makes just as much logical sense to say "workers" built it so "workers" should reap the rewards.

In reality, of course, it was shared, as the benefits should be as well.

If the goal in creating easier things is merely to increase corporate productivity and output then why are we even here, man? Should we increase the workweek to 45 hours down when FSD vehicles permeate the market and people have extra time to work while commuting? I mean, that technology will undoubtedly be created by a company, so it only makes sense that the time it saves people should be given back to companies, right?

That seems entirely dependent on tax
Does it? I think most of us can come up with a number regardless of tax implications. I would take pretty close to a 20% hit to only have to work 4 days
I'm looking it in the context of someone giving a percentage right after you posted. If I'm at a point where a 10% pay cut is all at the same rate, then fine, it's not overly relevant. If that sort of cut results in me going to a lower tax bracket where a chunk of the cut actually results in greater take home pro rata, then that's different. Obviously I'm talking from a different tax jurisdiction, but I'm in a spot where I'm in no immediate rush to try to upgrade my pay in a new job on account of I've only just started hitting a new rate

Could you unpack this a bit? We have progressive tax rates, so unless I am completely misreading what you are saying which is entirely possible, this doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense based on how we as a country calculate income tax.

Because mean is a better measure collective wealth, i.e. the wealth of the entire system. Beyond that I'm not gonna take the political bait.

In addition, isn't it a bit misleading to say the US (250mm adults) ranks behind 9 EU countries, when many of those countries don't come close to comparing in terms of size and diversity (e.g. Luxembourg = 504K, Denmark = 4.5mm, Switzerland = 7mm, etc, etc.).

Well if the discussion is for bragging rights over who produces and sells more widgets then sure..

But the implication as it was originally brought up was that we work more and have worse work/life balance, but we're wealthier/better off for it.

Because the point everyone seems to be stuck on is the idea that having a better work/life balance means we have to make less money and sacrifice individual wealth. But it doesn't. It simply means our tippy top would have to make less money, money that they've taken on the backs on uncompensated worker productivity increases over the last 85 years since the modern work week was put into place.

Once you disregard the tippy top .01% our wealth is basically the same for the other 99.9% of us. But our CEOs make more than their CEOs which puts us up higher on one particular leaderboard of wealth measurements so.......yay, I guess?

Because the point everyone seems to be stuck on is the idea that having a better work/life balance means we have to make less money and sacrifice individual wealth. But it doesn't. It simply means our tippy top would have to make less money, money that they've taken on the backs on uncompensated worker productivity increases over the last 85 years since the modern work week was put into place
This ties in with the noncompetes going away. There are places that don't have them already like Cali, and the lack of noncompetes has made software startups much easier to do.

What the corporations tell us would make it harder for them to compete is a very long list, and many of those things have proven not to be true.

I feel like most people have worked in jobs where they didn't need 40 hours to get their work done. I assume this is why there are plenty of message board posts during the workday. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread