What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (1 Viewer)

Question: Is Baltimore droppable?

Their schedule is @Jax/@SF/Mia. I also have KC, who plays NE this week, so it's very unlikely I'd start them ROS. I had been assuming I'd hold them this week and then maybe drop them for another streaming candidate in Weeks 16-17.

But I lost Herbert this week and would like to pick up two QBs to improve my odds of finding something valuable in the Browning/Flacco/Levis basement bin. The question is, if I dropped Baltimore this week, would another team pick them up and use them against me? Jax isn't a great matchup, but a gimpy TLaw makes it more attractive, and Baltimore in general is a pretty good D.

I'm like 85% sure I'm dropping them, but wanted to see what others think

Looks like I'm ditching HOU defense now.

Opinions on who is the better D/ST to pick up based on their weeks 16/17 matchups?

DEN (NE, LAC)
CHI (ARI, ATL)

all home games... I'm leaning DEN but will put in a claim for CHI as a consolation if someone beats me to 'em.
Chicago has been playing better lately, but Denver is a superior defense, and they have better matchups, too.

Question: Is Baltimore droppable?

Their schedule is @Jax/@SF/Mia. I also have KC, who plays NE this week, so it's very unlikely I'd start them ROS. I had been assuming I'd hold them this week and then maybe drop them for another streaming candidate in Weeks 16-17.

But I lost Herbert this week and would like to pick up two QBs to improve my odds of finding something valuable in the Browning/Flacco/Levis basement bin. The question is, if I dropped Baltimore this week, would another team pick them up and use them against me? Jax isn't a great matchup, but a gimpy TLaw makes it more attractive, and Baltimore in general is a pretty good D.

I'm like 85% sure I'm dropping them, but wanted to see what others think

I'd look at what the teams left have on their roster for Def/St.

I currently have only the 49ers. I also have a Bye so looking ahead to Week 16 and 17. 49ers have Ravens home in Week 16, so might want to avoid them for that week. Jets, Broncos, Eagles and Commanders are all available. Mostly I am looking at Jets and Broncos.

Jets - 16: home vs Washington, 17: at Cleveland
Broncos - 16: home vs New England, 17: home vs LA Chargers
Eagles - 16: home vs. NY Giants, 17: home vs Cardinals
Commanders - 16: at NY Jets, 17: home vs 49ers

I currently have only the 49ers. I also have a Bye so looking ahead to Week 16 and 17. 49ers have Ravens home in Week 16, so might want to avoid them for that week. Jets, Broncos, Eagles and Commanders are all available. Mostly I am looking at Jets and Broncos.

Jets - 16: home vs Washington, 17: at Cleveland
Broncos - 16: home vs New England, 17: home vs LA Chargers
Eagles - 16: home vs. NY Giants, 17: home vs Cardinals
Commanders - 16: at NY Jets, 17: home vs 49ers
You got decent options. Philly at home against Giants week 16. Broncos at home against Stick and Chargers week 17.

Anyone dumping GB with them having Carolina next week if you win?

Lots of options out there. Trying to play keep away.

I’m rolling with KC at NE. KC should be pissed. NE off 10 days rest though.

I also have NO in the bubble vs. NYG. Devito loud road game? Short rest.

I also have GB stashed.

The Rams and Raiders both have nice matchups.
I had NO stocked up for this week but the Giants did kind of explode this week so I am a little nervous but Devito on the road could easily see the clock strike midnight on his Cinderella run

Anyone dumping GB with them having Carolina next week if you win?

Lots of options out there. Trying to play keep away.

I’m rolling with KC at NE. KC should be pissed. NE off 10 days rest though.

I also have NO in the bubble vs. NYG. Devito loud road game? Short rest.

I also have GB stashed.

The Rams and Raiders both have nice matchups.
I had NO stocked up for this week but the Giants did kind of explode this week so I am a little nervous but Devito on the road could easily see the clock strike midnight on his Cinderella run
Saints at home is still decent in my opinion. Obviously all about choices but Id be okay rolling em out

Opinions on who is the better D/ST to pick up based on their weeks 16/17 matchups?

DEN (NE, LAC)
CHI (ARI, ATL)

all home games... I'm leaning DEN but will put in a claim for CHI as a consolation if someone beats me to 'em.
I'm holding CHI and trying to get DEN tonight.

Would love to have them both.

Chicago...at home...in December...against a warm weather team (AZ) and a dome team (ATL)? Yup.

Raiders D playing lights out vs Chargers QB who i dont think has ever played in any games besides preseason

Reactions: GPS

DEN (NE, LAC)
CHI (ARI, ATL)

Chicago...at home...in December...against a warm weather team (AZ) and a dome team (ATL)? Yup.
I agree with you for the most part. I will say sometimes we get cute and frame an option to make it look better then it is. Like the Bears being 2nd in interceptions stat. All scoring is different, but in mine the Bears defense is 23rd in total points. 31st in sacks. 27th in fumble recoveries. They just aren't a good defense.

Defensive Maneuvers

(ESPN)

Wk 15 Proj. Stats
TEAMWK 15WK 16 TOP 4HOLD?ERR.PAPYINT.SACKSFR
Dolphins vs. Jets13.2YES4.615.02101.04.00.7
Chiefs @ Patriots11.2YESYES4.513.42570.83.40.8
Falcons @ Panthers10.84.515.92670.83.70.6
49ers @ Cardinals9.2YES6.817.32810.93.20.6
Saints vs. Giants9.15.415.92870.84.80.7
Raiders vs. Chargers9.14.615.72890.93.30.6
Titans vs. Texans9.03.817.93060.73.20.4
Browns vs. Bears8.4YES5.217.42310.63.40.6

(Yahoo)

Wk 15 Proj. Stats
TEAMWK 15WK 16 TOP 4HOLD?ERR.PAPYINT.SACKSFR
Dolphins vs. Jets15.2---14.6-1.04.00.7
Falcons @ Panthers13.9---16.5-0.83.70.6
Chiefs @ Patriots13.4YESYES-13.5-0.83.40.8
Raiders vs. Chargers12.8---16.4-0.93.30.6
Saints vs. Giants12.6-YES-16.6-0.84.80.7
49ers @ Cardinals12.0-YES-17.8-0.93.20.6
Titans vs. Texans11.9---17.7-0.73.20.4
Packers vs. Buccaneers11.5---19.4-1.03.10.5

DEN (NE, LAC)
CHI (ARI, ATL)

I agree with you for the most part. I will say sometimes we get cute and frame an option to make it look better then it is. Like the Bears being 2nd in interceptions stat. All scoring is different, but in mine the Bears defense is 23rd in total points. 31st in sacks. 27th in fumble recoveries. They just aren't a good defense.
Hmmm. Those are year to date stats right?

Think this D has turned a corner since getting Sweat. And at the same time, the offense is much more functional. Would be interesting to look at ranks just over the last few games.

What are your thoughts oh Defense Geniuses!!

Is Washington a good enough defense to get and hold for their week 16 play as they play the Jets in the Meadowlands??

DEN (NE, LAC)
CHI (ARI, ATL)

Hmmm. Those are year to date stats right?

Think this D has turned a corner since getting Sweat. And at the same time, the offense is much more functional. Would be interesting to look at ranks just over the last few games.
Last 4 games stats. Yahoo standard defense scoring.. Bears at 3rd in total points average. 17th in sacks per game. Definitely have improved overall, since the addition of Sweat. Make for a fascinating option. I will say it takes guts to roll em out with everything on the line.

Trying to find the optimal pairing from this group for weeks 16 and 17. I currently have the Jets and 49ers rostered but all the other teams listed are on the WW.

Week 16
Bills at LA Chargers (QB Easton Stick)
Bears home vs Cardinals (QB Kyler Murray)
Broncos home vs Patriots (QB likely Bailey Zappe)
Rams home vs Saints (QB either Derek Carr or Jameis Winston)
Jets home vs Commanders (QB Sam Howell)
Eagles home vs Giants (QB Tommy DeVito)
49ers home vs Ravens (QB Lamar Jackson)

Week 17
Bills home vs Patriots (QB likely Bailey Zappe)
Bears home vs Falcons (QB Desmond Ridder)
Broncos home vs Chargers (QB Easton Stick)
Rams at Giants (QB Tommy DeVito)
Jets at Browns (QB Joe Flacco)
Eagles home vs Cardinals (QB Kyler Murray)
49ers at Commanders (QB Sam Howell)

In my league this is the defense's average PPG scoring
Jets DST -12.0
Bills DST - 8.7
49ers DST - 8.5
Broncos DST - 7.4
Bears DST - 6.2
Eagles DST - 5.9
Rams DST - 4.2
Here are the Points Allowed for the season in my league
Giants - 12.7 against
Patriots - 11.1 against
Commanders - 11.1 against
Browns - 9.5 against
Falcons - 7.6 against
Cardinals - 7.1 against
Chargers - 5.1 against

mulling over
  • Browns v CHI
  • Packers v TB
  • Texans at TEN
also have a bid in for Dolphins (somebody rage dropped the Eagles last weekend, Miami owner bid up to dropFins for PHI)

likely going with Browns this week their pass rush looked great last weekend

I have a week 15 bye and the Broncos defense. Somehow the Bills defense is on the wire.... I'm very tempted to drop a guy like Hollywood or Doubs to scoop up the Bills since it's a best ball league.

mulling over
  • Browns v CHI
  • Packers v TB
  • Texans at TEN
also have a bid in for Dolphins (somebody rage dropped the Eagles last weekend, Miami owner bid up to dropFins for PHI)

I picked up GB for weeks 14 and 15 but week 14 didn’t go so well for GB. I’m leaning towards LV this week against a Herbert less Chargers team that has not played well most weeks. If I had your choice I would take the Browns.

mulling over
  • Browns v CHI
  • Packers v TB
  • Texans at TEN

I would go with Browns. They could get Ward back which would tremendously help on any bombs to Dj Moore. Browns are just a better defense that the other options, which were both throttled by weaker offenses last week (Giants and Jets).

my plan is ATL this week @ Carolina and also on the WW Pick up Denver vs NE and vs a Stick led Chargers team should I make it to the superbowl in weeks 16 and 17..... My plan WAS to pick up Philly for the playoffs should they sho some sort of improvement because they have a pretty good schedule but the dont seem to be able to stop anybody.

my plan is ATL this week @ Carolina and also on the WW Pick up Denver vs NE and vs a Stick led Chargers team should I make it to the superbowl in weeks 16 and 17..... My plan WAS to pick up Philly for the playoffs should they sho some sort of improvement because they have a pretty good schedule but the dont seem to be able to stop anybody.
Plus NYG/AZ may not be the cake matchups we all thought they were a few weeks ago

Trying to find the optimal pairing from this group for weeks 16 and 17. I currently have the Jets and 49ers rostered but all the other teams listed are on the WW.

Week 16

Week 17

Jets DST -12.0
Bills DST - 8.7
49ers DST - 8.5
Broncos DST - 7.4
Bears DST - 6.2
Eagles DST - 5.9
Rams DST - 4.2
Giants - 12.7 against
Patriots - 11.1 against
Browns - 9.5 against
Falcons - 7.6 against
Cardinals - 7.1 against
Chargers - 5.1 against
Lots of possibilities there. You could just start both NYJs and 9ers against the Commandos and do very well.

I'm anxious to see exactly how bad LAC is with Eaton Stick. That could make the Bills and Broncos (who alternate NE LAC) very good bets.

Last edited:
Texans EDGE Will Anderson did not participate in Wednesday’s practice.

Anderson was banged up in the Texans’ Week 15 loss to the Jets. He starts out the week not practicing with an ankle injury, leaving the Texans’ pass rush without a key producer. If he cannot get some practice in later in the week, the rookie will be in danger of missing Week 15. Other Texans defenders - CB Tavierre Thomas (hamstring) and LB Blake Cashman (hamstring) joined Anderson as non-participants on Wednesday.

K. Allen ruled OUT. LV D just got more attractive this week.

Getting cold feet on the MIA D. They are seriously banged up.

This is exactly my predicament now. Rushed to pick up LV once I heard the Allen news. Now I have to choose between MIA or LV.

I was all in on ATL before the Allen news broke.

Who would you guys choose between LV and ATL this week?
I've benched Miami and gotten burned each time for getting cute. Now these Raiders are staring at me. Smh

This is exactly my predicament now. Rushed to pick up LV once I heard the Allen news. Now I have to choose between MIA or LV.

I'd be tempted if I knew that both J. Jacobs and M. Crosby were playing.

I'd be tempted if I knew that both J. Jacobs and M. Crosby were playing.
It would make the decision easier. I have been using the Jets all year but starting them against Miami the first week of playoffs is unappealing. I could stick with GB instead of LV but GB didn’t look good at all last week against the Giants.

Week 16

Week 17

Jets DST -12.0
Bills DST - 8.7
49ers DST - 8.5
Broncos DST - 7.4
Bears DST - 6.2
Eagles DST - 5.9
Rams DST - 4.2
Giants - 12.7 against
Patriots - 11.1 against
Browns - 9.5 against
Falcons - 7.6 against
Cardinals - 7.1 against
Chargers - 5.1 against
Lots of possibilities there. You could just start both NYJs and 9ers against the Commandos and do very well.

I'm anxious to see exactly how bad LAC is with Eaton Stick. That could make the Bills and Broncos (who alternate NE LAC) very good bets.
Yeah, that is what I am also looking at.

But you guys are supposed to help me pick between them!

Currently have Browns, Falcons, Bears. Plan so far is

Falcons vs @CAR
Bears vs ARZ (cold day in CHI)
Browns vs Jets

on the wire are:

Chiefs
Colts
Denver
Rams (!)

I think I'm overthinking it

2023 NFL season, Week 15: Four things to watch for in Chargers-Raiders on Prime Video

Except:

3. Khalil Mack fueling Chargers defense. The Chargers defense has endured its share of ribbing this season, struggling mightily at times, especially in the early going. But Mack has been a revelation in his age-32 season, racking up 15 sacks, which ties his career high set back in his second season with the Raiders in 2015. Mack has always relished facing his former team, with 10 sacks in five career games against them. Six of those came in the Week 4 matchup, along with two forced fumbles and a pass deflection, as Mack tortured O'Connell and the Raiders' offense for four quarters. He's also been hot lately. Although Mack was held without a sack last week, he had three straight two-sack games prior to that and eight sacks and three forced fumbles in his past six contests. Even without Joey Bosa, the Chargers defense has been good to very good since a 41-38 loss to the Lions, allowing 16.8 points per game the last four. The Raiders feature elite threats in wide receiver Davante Adams and running back Josh Jacobs (who are both questionable to play), but they've combined for only 10 TDs this season and only one between them the past three.

4. Raiders defense will try to take advantage of beat-up Chargers. The Raiders have played pretty good defense under Pierce, holding four of their five opponents to 20 points or fewer. The Chiefs dropped 31 on them in Week 12, but they've otherwise been stout in the five-game span. No shocker that Maxx Crosby has been at the center of it. Despite injuring both knees in recent weeks and being questionable for Thursday, Crosby has played 97% of the Raiders' defensive snaps and has seven games in which he's played every snap, per NGS, and he's supplied 28.2% of the team's pressures. But first-rounder Tyree Wilson has come on lately, with a sack and several pressures Sunday, and Malcolm Koonce also has chipped in. They'll be facing a Chargers offensive line that entered the season as a perceived team strength but were dominated Sunday against the Broncos -- and on the whole, that unit has disappointed in 2023. Offensive tackles Rashawn Slater and Trey Pipkins by and large have held their own, with the interior struggling more, although both had their hands full in the first matchup. The Chargers can't seem to get running backs Austin Ekeler and Joshua Kelley going lately, and the pass game figures to be limited with Stick starting and wide receiver Keenan Allen out with a heel injury, although Joshua Palmer's return from IR should help.

I am struggling this week in my decision:
Atlanta vs Carolina (my choice this morning)
New Orleans vs NY Giants (would have chosen earlier, but Giants played well last week)
Cleveland vs Chicago Bears (do I hang on to Cleveland's early season greatness?)

Thoughts??

High Stakes League, plays through Week 18. 2 12-Team Leagues, whose Champions play W18. As a #1 Seed, I got a Bye for Week 15. Fortunate enough between drafting and judicious FAAB spending to have an overloaded stable of RB's that I can't afford to drop any of (8 of 20 spots). QB heavy scoring, so carrying 3. Precious little room for a 2nd D/ST, been streaming all Season.

Chose to roster the Broncos, during this last week of FAAB, from a very sparse group to choose from. With the Week 15 Bye, I'll avoid @ Lions. That sets me up for vs Patriots, vs Chargers, @ Raiders. Think I like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread