What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (1 Viewer)

Torn between these two. I can see NE running the ball all day and preventing Miami from racking up any good score save fumbles in that contest and I can also picture Denver at home putting up some good numbers with a hotter Lock. The matchups aren't that great this week on the wire.
Yup.

Hard for me to stop thinking about how terrible that NE offense was against the LAR though. And this after hammering LAC 45-0.

Miami D seems legit. How often is Mahommes picked off 3 times? 

Buffalo definitely seems like one of the top AFC teams now, but I wonder if they play down to the competition a little in a "sandwich" game.

Been riding Mia the last few weeks now but one thing that worries me is their run D. Will they get lit up again similar to the Den game.

they are at home but vs a decent D and ok run game it looks eerily similar 

Broncobiv said:
What about Cleveland? They finish the fantasy playoffs @ NYG and @ NYJ. They really aren't the best real-life D, but the matchups don't get much better. They've given up 47 and 35 the past 2 weeks, but that was to BAL and TEN, two far better offenses than the pair of NY teams. 
Yep, trying to decide between them and the Bucs against Atlanta.

I am leaning CLE but the last two games and the points they've allowed is concerning, even with softer match ups. Trends and recent momentum sometimes matter.

Torn between these two. I can see NE running the ball all day and preventing Miami from racking up any good score save fumbles in that contest and I can also picture Denver at home putting up some good numbers with a hotter Lock. The matchups aren't that great this week on the wire.
Between BUF v DEN and NE vs MIA I would be taking BUF despite being on the road. They are much better than DEN, and even though DEN's offense looked like they had a spark, I can't see BUF taking a foot off the gas.

NE vs MIA is the kind of game where anything can happen. Might be boom, might be bust.

My two cents, anyway.

Dodds has Ari ranked #3 and it’s throwing me off
Well crap...I have AZ in one league and was considering replacing them with CLE. Maybe I should stick with the stronger real life D instead of playing matchups (although AZ vs PHI still isn't that bad, even with Hurts). 

Yep, trying to decide between them and the Bucs against Atlanta.

I am leaning CLE but the last two games and the points they've allowed is concerning, even with softer match ups. Trends and recent momentum sometimes matter.

Between BUF v DEN and NE vs MIA I would be taking BUF despite being on the road. They are much better than DEN, and even though DEN's offense looked like they had a spark, I can't see BUF taking a foot off the gas.

NE vs MIA is the kind of game where anything can happen. Might be boom, might be bust.

My two cents, anyway.
Good point about CLE and the last two games = momentum.  I picked them up to potentially start down the stretch.  I have had PIT and rolled with them all year.  Went w/ SF this past weekend which was negligible but think I have roll with PIT.

Staring at them on the wire and debating if they are a better play this week than the Bucs, who I would shed (retaining CLE for that WK 16 NYJ tilt).
I would think that the Eagles would still play it somewhat conservative with Hurts in there, 0 sacks & 0 INTs last week vs NO (although he threw 30 times).

Doug Peterson with backup QBs: 11-3 

With Wentz: 35-33-1 

Looking ahead to week 16, since I'm set with the Rams this week vs NYJ.

Having trouble deciding about Rams (@SEA), Dolphins (@LV) or options like Bears (@Jax), or TB (@Det). Rams and Dolphins have been very solid as of late but look to have tougher matchups.

Good point about CLE and the last two games = momentum.  I picked them up to potentially start down the stretch.  I have had PIT and rolled with them all year.  Went w/ SF this past weekend which was negligible but think I have roll with PIT.
Watching that game, the only thing keeping Baltimore in it was Lamar Jackson going crazy with his legs. CLE's pass rush is legit, and they're going to put serious pressure on the Giants. I'm playing CLE especially if Denzel Ward suits up.

Looking to pick up for next week one of these two

Niners at Cowboys - SF currently favored by 3.5

Browns at Giants - CLE currently favored by 3

Currently have Seahawks - next week they are at Washington - Seahawks favored by 3.5
In the same boat.  Smith has WFT playing well right now.  I'm going with CLE vs NYG, then carrying them over vs NYJ if I make the finals.

Mike Preston: The Ravens offense is finding its form. Now it’s time for the defense to tighten up.

Like most of the Ravens staff, defensive coordinator Don Martindale probably spent Monday night celebrating a 47-42-win over the Cleveland Browns, one of the most exciting victories in the team’s 25-year history in Baltimore.

By Tuesday morning, he was probably mad at himself and any of his defensive players within earshot. The Ravens gave up 493 yards of total offense against the Browns and continued a downward spiral in recent weeks.

The lackluster play is disturbing, and some changes are needed if the Ravens are to advance deep into the postseason.

“You know, every game is a game-by-game basis,” outside linebacker Matthew Judon said. “If we shut a team out, you all aren’t going to say, ‘You’re the best defense.’ If we give up 42 points, we’re not the worst defense. It was just this game.”

The problem is that the Ravens defense isn’t getting better. In a 34-17 win against the Dallas Cowboys last week, the team allowed 111 rushing yards on 28 carries as halfback Ezekiel Elliott had 77 yards on 18 attempts. The Browns rushed for 138 yards on 28 attempts Monday night, and Cleveland doesn’t have a dynamic quarterback like Lamar Jackson carrying the ball.

The Browns just grind it out with running backs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Successful playoff teams, especially those on the East Coast, need to be able to run and stop the run.

On offense, the Ravens appear to be gearing up. It’s the opposite on defense.

“They exploited some stuff,” Judon said. “We have to go to the film. And we have to correct that stuff. But everybody isn’t going to jump off the ship over here, at least we’re not. So, we’re going to go to work, like we always do. We’re going to correct it. We’re going to come back next week and we’re going to fight.”

Part of the problem has been the subpar play of the defensive line. Neither nose tackle Brandon Williams (ankle) nor defensive end Calais Campbell (calf) seem to have fully recovered from injuries, and Campbell also had a severe bout with COVID-19 from which he might still be experiencing lingering effects. If those two can’t keep opposing offensive linemen off rookie inside linebackers Patrick Queen and Malik Harrison, the Ravens are in trouble.

Both of those youngsters aren’t physical enough to fight off blockers and might be hitting the wall most rookies hit this time of year. Fatigue sets in because college seasons aren’t as long as those in the NFL.

Then there is the pass rush. The Ravens didn’t have any sacks against Cleveland and only hit quarterback Baker Mayfield five times. They only had one sack against Dallas and five pressures. Martindale has been trying several different stunts and an assortment of blitzes to get pressure, but the Ravens only have seven sacks in the past six games.

Maybe that’s why the Ravens were so soft in coverage in the second half Monday night. That didn’t make much sense because the Browns receivers, with the exception of Jarvis Landry, are just as average as the Ravens’ crew. Cleveland went to the short passing attack and scored touchdowns on four of its last five possessions with drives of 75, 70, 70 and 75 yards.

In some cases, the Ravens were in prevent mode, but what exactly did they prevent?

The Ravens did suffer some injuries in the secondary. Starting cornerback Marcus Peters played through a calf strain and fellow cornerback Jimmy Smith missed the second half because of a shoulder injury. At this point, the Ravens can’t count on Smith because he spends more time in the training room than on the field.

The Ravens also might have a safety issue. Both of their starters, DeShon Elliott and Chuck Clark, are great at going forward and making tackles, but don’t cover a lot of ground defending deep passes.

The Ravens have to address these concerns. In recent weeks, Jackson has gone back to displaying the form that made him the league Most Valuable Player in 2019 by making big plays with his legs instead of his arm.

Earlier in the season, the defense was playing well, and it appeared as if the group might peak by the end of the year. There is still time with three weak opponents coming up in the Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants and Cincinnati Bengals, but the real answer won’t come until the postseason.

That’s when the quality of the opponents will get better.

But will the Ravens?

Carrying 3 defenses now! Mia vs NE, Sea vs WFT, and Buff vs Den.

was leaning Mia as Cam has looked awful but Sea looks appealing if Smith doesn't play but I feel Buff is a good D and is getting healthy 

really no clear winner

Looking ahead to week 16, since I'm set with the Rams this week vs NYJ.

Having trouble deciding about Rams (@SEA), Dolphins (@LV) or options like Bears (@Jax), or TB (@Det). Rams and Dolphins have been very solid as of late but look to have tougher matchups.
Same boat, carrying Mia/LAR the past few weeks but week 16 (hopefully  it matters) thinking about Hou vs Cinci or Chi vs Jax

Carrying 3 defenses now! Mia vs NE, Sea vs WFT, and Buff vs Den.

was leaning Mia as Cam has looked awful but Sea looks appealing if Smith doesn't play but I feel Buff is a good D and is getting healthy 

really no clear winner
If A. Smith is QB I rule out SEA D. He doesn't make too many silly mistakes and plays it conservative most of the time. If Haskins...different ball game.

I'm debating Miami or Buffalo. Leaning Miami. That defense has been a turnover machine. Flores knows NE and he'll do enough to stuff the run because he knows Cam can't throw the ball.

I dropped AZ in one league and SEA in another, and picked up CLE in both. Hard to argue with @NYG and @NYJ for the last 2 playoff rounds! 

TDCommish said:
He moved them down a little bit.
I'm not sure how valuable Arizona will be this week.  Hurts was sacked 3 times by GB after he came in (and they were already down big, allowing GB to key on the pass).  Last week, against NO, he wasn't sacked at all.  

He's much quicker to run or throw the ball away than Wentz, and that might prevent the matchup against Philly from being such a boon for opposing D/ST.  

I picked up Arizona and Dallas before week 13, because I had already secured a 1st round bye & liked the idea of having the D facing the Eagles in the two playoff weeks.  Now I'm debating between picking up Chicago for this week, instead of Arizona.😒

I am seriously considering Sea since Alex isn't  starting. I have Mia vs NE and Buff vs Den.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ardbeg4ever said:
Yeah it's the classic "Movable Object vs the Resistable Force" but going with Rams against SEA or MIA vs Vegas is also risky.
Vegas with Mariota and without Jacobs is an attractive matchup imo. Cahrgers made Mariata look good, but I suspect he'll play differently against a real defense. 

I am seriously considering Sea since Alex isn't  starting. I have Mia vs NE and Buff vs Den.
I own MIA and BUF and in your case I think SEA with Haskins starting is too much to pass up.

I'm going Miami over BUF D because I just don't think NE can move the ball and Miami's offense appears healthier. BUF situation screams of a bit of a letdown...big PIT win...west coast ish trip...NE next week. Just think Lock and the DEN running game could disappoint BUF D owners.

I own MIA and BUF and in your case I think SEA with Haskins starting is too much to pass up.

I'm going Miami over BUF D because I just don't think NE can move the ball and Miami's offense appears healthier. BUF situation screams of a bit of a letdown...big PIT win...west coast ish trip...NE next week. Just think Lock and the DEN running game could disappoint BUF D owners.
Ya the Den offense lately would give me pause where as it wouldn't have 4 weeks ago. The NE matchup just seems so tasty but what NE did against the Chargers a few weeks ago gives me pause with rookie QB. Seems like that could be a grind out slugfest . Not even sure right now what the over/under is in that game. If Mia had Fitz going I'd be inclined to roll Mia. They have the better D than Sea but man Haskins and no Gibson..... decisions 🤔

Teams looking for a cheap, available WW pickup going into the weekend could do a lot worse than snagging the Packers for tonight's game vs Panthers. Rodgers playing chip-on-the-shoulder-on-a-mission. No mercy. Playing in Lambeau in prime time, Panthers with no McCaffery, and little to nothing to play for, in the cold, dark winter Wisconsin night. I can't see how this isn't a laugher of a blowout, and if so, the Packer D should feast.

Teams looking for a cheap, available WW pickup going into the weekend could do a lot worse than snagging the Packers for tonight's game vs Panthers. Rodgers playing chip-on-the-shoulder-on-a-mission. No mercy. Playing in Lambeau in prime time, Panthers with no McCaffery, and little to nothing to play for, in the cold, dark winter Wisconsin night. I can't see how this isn't a laugher of a blowout, and if so, the Packer D should feast.
The Panthers will play for pride. They will put up a fight. It may not work out for them, but they will try. 

Ya the Den offense lately would give me pause where as it wouldn't have 4 weeks ago. The NE matchup just seems so tasty but what NE did against the Chargers a few weeks ago gives me pause with rookie QB. Seems like that could be a grind out slugfest . Not even sure right now what the over/under is in that game. If Mia had Fitz going I'd be inclined to roll Mia. They have the better D than Sea but man Haskins and no Gibson..... decisions 🤔
NE ruled D. Harris out. Easily their best offensive player. That means bum S. Michel gets some touches. And J. White is questionable.

NE ruled D. Harris out. Easily their best offensive player. That means bum S. Michel gets some touches. And J. White is questionable.
Oof. This is making rolling with Buffalo extra tough. I don't think Denver can hang with Buffalo, and I'm looking for late sacks/turnovers to push it over the top.

I don't like MIA's offense enough to keep NE off the field, really. That's my thought in sticking with BUF.

Oof. This is making rolling with Buffalo extra tough. I don't think Denver can hang with Buffalo, and I'm looking for late sacks/turnovers to push it over the top.

I don't like MIA's offense enough to keep NE off the field, really. That's my thought in sticking with BUF.
That's my concern as well with Mia. 

Seriously have my finger on the Miami trigger. Lookin' down that barrel of a gun/son of a gun/son a #####/gettin' paid/gettin' rich. it's queued up and ready. 

ETA: Nope. Buffalo.

Users who are viewing this thread