What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Decline 5th year options for Harris and Fields (4 Viewers)

Me speculating -- we see WR and C today. With two 3rd round picks, there are options to move around and get a guy they want. Frazier or Roman Wilson maybe? Or still can trade for Aiyuk or Sutton. Or stand pat and let guys fall. They do like Van Pran as an option too.

Me speculating -- we see WR and C today. With two 3rd round picks, there are options to move around and get a guy they want. Frazier or Roman Wilson maybe? Or still can trade for Aiyuk or Sutton. Or stand pat and let guys fall. They do like Van Pran as an option too.
If Frazier or JPJ fall to the 40's, I could see a trade up happening. If both those guys are gone, I hope we don't take a center til the 3rd earliest. Take a later center and sign a FA to compete.

Do you think we go Sainristil if the centers are gone and we stick at 51?

Also, I still hope we trade for Aiyuk, especially since they drafted a WR in the 1st. And I'd much rather have Aiyuk than Deebo due to cost and injury concerns. Idk what it would cost, maybe a 3rd and 2nd next year?

I don't hate it. Trade up and get our C
He is the C. No way he sticks at T
Nah... he'll start at T.
Has he ever taken a snap?
He is 6'3''. He is not an NFL tackle.
He has longer arms than Joe Alt, what's the issue here?
Height matters. Defenders with length was an issue for him in college. It will be a huge issue in the NFL. How many evaluations of hum do you read that don't include that he will probably move inside.

Nah... he'll start at T.
Height matters. Defenders with length was an issue for him in college. It will be a huge issue in the NFL. How many evaluations of hum do you read that don't include that he will probably move inside.
I can see the move to guard. Center is a different position. I think the Steelers were having dreams of nostalgia with Polamalu 2.0.

Nah... he'll start at T.
I can see the move to guard. Center is a different position. I think the Steelers were having dreams of nostalgia with Polamalu 2.0.
I also think LG is probably his best home, but lots of good analysts have him as a C

If Aiyuk does get traded, I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how little draft compensation it costs. I'm thinking a 3rd, which would be his comp pick value 2 years from now, would be the ceiling. I think a 4th this year or a 3rd next year gets it done.

If Aiyuk does get traded, I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how little draft compensation it costs. I'm thinking a 3rd, which would be his comp pick value 2 years from now, would be the ceiling. I think a 4th this year or a 3rd next year gets it done.
That would be awesome! I assumed it would take two 3rds or a 2nd and 4th.

Isn't Deebo rumored to be the one being traded?

Sutton to Steelers makes sense for Steelers (reuniting Russell with Sutton). Not sure it makes sense for Denver though after getting their QB (Nix).

Higgins or Aiyuk to Bills makes sense for both sides. I'm not sure Deebo is a good fit for the Bills.

When asked if Fautanu is a right tackle or left tackle with the Steelers, Tomlin said simply, “He’s a tackle.”
Multiple times.

Could he move inside? Tackle.
Right tackle or left tackle. Tackle.
Did you consider center or cornerback. Tackle.
2-minute video
Short video with a decent breakdown of Fautanu. Evaluator projects him as an above average guard year 1. Clearly wasn't comfortable calling him a tackle. "But" long enough arms he could develop into a left tackle. Showed a couple examples of getting beat on the outside and inside. This is a bigger reason why he projects to the interior moreso than being an inch shorter than typical OT. Could use help on the left and right.

Not mentioned in this video, often seen it mentioned Fautanu doesn't have strong hands. Some guys have strong enough grip, that the battle is over as soon as they get their mits on you. Dawand Jones is a great example of OT who can't be beat after he latches on. Not the case here. Defenders in college can break free and win with spin move etc.

Positives: pretty much everyone loves his athleticism and lateral movement. Gets good position in a zone scheme which fits right in with Arthur Smith's zone blocking. Compliment his good punch. Very strong arms and plays with balance.

I'm thinking the Steelers love what you can't teach. Very athletic. Good at using leverage. Can pull, play zone and get to the next level easily. Above average player on the move. Makes perfect sense to have a guy like this in a wide zone concept.

Sutton to Steelers makes sense for Steelers (reuniting Russell with Sutton). Not sure it makes sense for Denver though after getting their QB (Nix).

Higgins or Aiyuk to Bills makes sense for both sides. I'm not sure Deebo is a good fit for the Bills.

I don't see it as a great match TBH. Sutton is an older, more expensive, less talented version of Pickens.

I wouldn't hate it, but would all depend on the price.

C and WR tonight seems likely. Love Roman Wilson but depends on where. Don't want a trade for either of those guys. And would be fine with Van Pran in the 3rd/4th. Feel like a DB could be in the works tonight too.

Enjoying the sweat! SF taking Pearsall is either a smart move to develop slowly and take over next season... OR draft their WR before trading away Aiyuk. SOOOOOOOOO hopeful Pittsburgh trades for Aiyuk today at a typical Omar value buy. A 2nd round pick makes a ton of sense. Anything less is theft. Aiyuk is FAR better than any WR the Steelers can draft and we must come away with a starter.

Sutton makes sense for Pittsburgh too. Hard to argue bringing in Russ' 10 TD receiver. Clearly has a connection there. Confused what Denver is up to drafting Bo Nix then trade away their top 2 WR??? Madness.

When asked if Fautanu is a right tackle or left tackle with the Steelers, Tomlin said simply, “He’s a tackle.”
Multiple times.

2-minute video
Short video with a decent breakdown of Fautanu. Evaluator projects him as an above average guard year 1. Clearly wasn't comfortable calling him a tackle. "But" long enough arms he could develop into a left tackle. Showed a couple examples of getting beat on the outside and inside. This is a bigger reason why he projects to the interior moreso than being an inch shorter than typical OT. Could use help on the left and right.

Not mentioned in this video, often seen it mentioned Fautanu doesn't have strong hands. Some guys have strong enough grip, that the battle is over as soon as they get their mits on you. Dawand Jones is a great example of OT who can't be beat after he latches on. Not the case here. Defenders in college can break free and win with spin move etc.

Positives: pretty much everyone loves his athleticism and lateral movement. Gets good position in a zone scheme which fits right in with Arthur Smith's zone blocking. Compliment his good punch. Very strong arms and plays with balance.

I'm thinking the Steelers love what you can't teach. Very athletic. Good at using leverage. Can pull, play zone and get to the next level easily. Above average player on the move. Makes perfect sense to have a guy like this in a wide zone concept.
He has very small hands

Multiple times.

2-minute video

He has very small hands
He can use the gloves Kenny left behind.

Multiple times.

2-minute video

He has very small hands

What a terrible pick that was.

Multiple times.

2-minute video

He has very small hands

Sure, I'll defend my man Pickett one more time. Different tack this time--look at the QBs that went in the top 15 yesterday, what, six of them? Teams must find their guy. Without an above-average QB, it's just not going to happen. Weak as it was, Kenny was one of the top QBs available and the Steelers rolled the dice at #20. Did it work out? Of course not. But NFL teams cannot bypass their potential starter at #20. I'll concede it did not work out but I have no issues with a team speculating on a potential franchise QB at 20.

Last edited:
Multiple times.

2-minute video

He has very small hands

Sure, I'll defend my man Pickett one more time. Different tack this time--look at the QBs that went in the top 15 yesterday, what, six of them? Teams must find their guy. Without an above-average QB, it's just not going to happen. Weak as it was, Kenny was one of the top QBs available and the Steelers rolled the dice at #20. Did it work out? Of course not. But NFL teams cannot bypass their potential starter at #20. I'll concede it did not work out but I have no issues with a team speculating on a potential franchise QB at 20.
All of them are better than Kenny.

Kenny played what 6 years of college ball. His draft class the QB class was very weak. Regardless of what people think a lot of us thought the Steelers wasted their pick on him.

Michael Penix Jr. played 6 years of college ball. Will sit behind Kirk cousins for potentially 1-2 years. If it's 2 years he'll be 26. Falcons over drafted him. I'm not big on Michael either.

Kenny played what 6 years of college ball. His draft class the QB class was very weak. Regardless of what people think a lot of us thought the Steelers wasted their pick on him.

Michael Penix Jr. played 6 years of college ball. Will sit behind Kirk cousins for potentially 1-2 years. If it's 2 years he'll be 26. Falcons over drafted him. I'm not big on Michael either.
Penix is the most pro ready and possibly the 2nd best qb in the class. Age aside, the Falcons picking him is less the problem than the ridiculous contract they gave Cousins. That said, if they didn't pick him it's likely the Steelers pick Barton since Fautanu is probably picked before 20, so thanks ATL!

Multiple times.

2-minute video

He has very small hands

Not specific to KP... couldn't disagree more on the premise. making a bad 1st round QB reach on a day 3 talent in the 1st would set the franchise back years 95% of the time.

It's the SAME THING as if the steelers took potential starter John Plumlee at 20 yesterday. Steelers don't have a QB under contract in 2025, so the team would be pressured to move on from Russ/Fields to Plumlee as soon as he's ready this season. Basically trashes a SB run for the next few years if he doesn't work out. I'd argue a better approach is to draft Plumlee day 3 as a developmental QB. See if he works out with zero pressure to start. He's still a 5% potential of being an average starter without giving up on the next 2-3 seasons if he doesn't pan out.

Welp, there goes one of the Cs. Still a DB or two who'd fit though. Still 4-5 WRs who are rated as 2nds that could be a possibility.

Gut sez it's gonna be WR here in the 2nd. While I believe they're absolutely going to draft a C this weekend...and if Frazier is there at 51 he'd be my pick....I'm starting to think maybe they're angling for someone that wasn't talked about very much.

Off ball LB certainly a consideration, but there aren't more than a couple who'd be worth a 2nd.

Users who are viewing this thread