What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Decline 5th year options for Harris and Fields (4 Viewers)

Najee Harris is currently 26. He's been pretty much healthy with a heavy workload. His 5th year option was declined. Will the Steeler's sign him to a 2–3-year contract? I hope to a 2-year deal. Having over 1,000 rushing yards for the past 3 seasons was a stat that use to be impressive. He is the first Pittsburgh Steeler to run for 1k yards in each of his first 3 seasons.

But then there's the Matt Canada affect - Predictable play calling.
For further context, here’s a small round-up of the Steelers’ offensive resume in 2023:
  • 30th in total yardage
  • 29th in scoring
  • 29th in expected points added (EPA), per RBDSM.com
  • 28th in passing offense
  • 30th in rushing offense
  • 23rd in offensive DVOA efficiency, via FTN.com
Plus Kenny played horribly.

Do NFL running backs regress? Facts or fiction <-- Some of the charts are pretty interesting.

My uneducated guess is that the Steeler's don't view Najee as worth $6,790,00 million for his fifth year. You're thinking well duh that's obvious. But with improved QB play, OL play, and OC scheme's. Najee has the opportunity to increase his value. But father time is against him as well as metrics on running back's and how they tend to fall off a cliff performance wise.

Pittsburgh Steeler's are paying pennies on the dollar for their QB room. I felt that Najee should have had his 5th year exercised. I'm expecting both Jaylen and Najee to have better years.

Franchised running backs in 2024 the number is 12 million. Obviously, you're not looking at Najee as being a franchise RB this year. But what happens if he blows up. Due to better OL, QB play, and overall scheme. What happens if he plays even angrier hoping to get a big pay day. He will be an unrestricted free agent. My guess is regardless of what he does this year. The Steeler's will move on. Omar isn't afraid to walk away from Kevin Colbert's guys.

Last edited:
To be blunt, Najee is a classic overrated Steeler, just like Terrell Edmunds was.

Najee is a replacement level player who has been significantly outplayed by his back up the past two years and another example of why you don't draft RBs in the first round.

To be blunt, Najee is a classic overrated Steeler, just like Terrell Edmunds was.

Najee is a replacement level player who has been significantly outplayed by his back up the past two years and another example of why you don't draft RBs in the first round.
Certainly! Let’s compare the stats of Najee Harris and Jaylen Warren:
  1. Najee Harris:
    • Played in 51 games.
    • Accumulated 3,269 rushing yards.
    • Carried the ball 834 times.
    • Averaged 3.9 yards per carry (YPC).
    • Scored 22 rushing touchdowns.
    • Longest run: 25 yards.
    • Fumbled 5 times.
    • Averaged 64.1 rushing yards per game1.
  2. Jaylen Warren:
    • Played in 33 games.
    • Accumulated 1,163 rushing yards.
    • Carried the ball 226 times.
    • Averaged 5.1 YPC.
    • Scored 5 rushing touchdowns.
    • Longest run: 21 yards.
    • Fumbled 5 times.
    • Averaged 35.2 rushing yards per game1.
In their most recent season (2023):
  • Najee Harris:
    • Played 17 games.
    • Accumulated 1,035 rushing yards.
    • Carried the ball 255 times.
    • Averaged 4.1 YPC.
    • Scored 8 rushing touchdowns.
    • Fumbled 2 times.
    • Averaged 60.9 rushing yards per game.
  • Jaylen Warren:
    • Also played 17 games.
    • Accumulated 784 rushing yards.
    • Carried the ball 149 times.
    • Averaged 5.3 YPC.
    • Scored 4 rushing touchdowns.
    • Longest run: 74 yards.
    • Fumbled 4 times.
    • Averaged 46.1 rushing yards per game1.
Based on these stats, Najee Harris has been more productive overall, but Jaylen Warren had an impressive longest run in his last season. Keep in mind that individual performance can vary based on team dynamics, play-calling, and other factors.

Certainly! Let’s compare the stats of Najee Harris and Jaylen Warren:
  1. Najee Harris:
    • Played in 51 games.
    • Accumulated 3,269 rushing yards.
    • Carried the ball 834 times.
    • Averaged 3.9 yards per carry (YPC).
    • Scored 22 rushing touchdowns.
    • Fumbled 5 times.
    • Averaged 64.1 rushing yards per game1.
  2. Jaylen Warren:
    • Played in 33 games.
    • Accumulated 1,163 rushing yards.
    • Carried the ball 226 times.
    • Averaged 5.1 YPC.
    • Scored 5 rushing touchdowns.
    • Longest run: 21 yards.
    • Fumbled 5 times.
    • Averaged 35.2 rushing yards per game1.
In their most recent season (2023):
  • Najee Harris:
    • Played 17 games.
    • Accumulated 1,035 rushing yards.
    • Carried the ball 255 times.
    • Averaged 4.1 YPC.
    • Scored 8 rushing touchdowns.
    • Fumbled 2 times.
    • Averaged 60.9 rushing yards per game.
  • Jaylen Warren:
    • Also played 17 games.
    • Accumulated 784 rushing yards.
    • Carried the ball 149 times.
    • Averaged 5.3 YPC.
    • Scored 4 rushing touchdowns.
    • Longest run: 74 yards.
    • Fumbled 4 times.
    • Averaged 46.1 rushing yards per game1.
Based on these stats, Najee Harris has been more productive overall, but Jaylen Warren had an impressive longest run in his last season. Keep in mind that individual performance can vary based on team dynamics, play-calling, and other factors.

Lol this is such an intellectually dishonest post. You mean the guy that has over 600 more carries has more rushing yards and more TDs than the other guy? Interesting!....

I like how you just brush off the difference in one guy averaging 5.1 yards per carry over two seasons and the other guy averaging 3.9 as if that's just some silly little stat equally comparable to who had the longest run. Let me clear, that is an ASTRONOMICALLY HUGE DIFFERENCE. One # is absolutely elite and one of the best #s in the league, and the other is the exact opposite, one of the lowest, least effective, and worst #s in the league. And it's not a small sample size. It's over the course of two years.

Let me put it another way. One of these things is not like the other:

1. Lamar Jackson
2. Christian McCaffrey
3. Jaylen Warren
4. Justin Fields
5. Jahmyr Gibbs

These are the top 5 guys last year, in order, in yards per carry. And here's some more info on each guy:

1. 2023 League MVP
2. 2023 Offensive POTY
3. Backing up a guy who averages 3.9 YPC and only 6 yards per catch
4. Owns the single-game QB rushing record in NFL history, 3rd fastest QB in NFL history to reach 2K rushing yards
5. 2023 PFWA all-rookie team and Pro Bowler

Jaylen Warren absolutely deserves to be the primary rushing option on the Steelers until he proves that he can't do it. Najee's best role is a guy you bring in as a change up in the second quarter and fourth quarter and tell him to just blindly run as hard as he can for 10-12 carries. Which is basically what he does, since he doesn't have any natural vision or instincts at the running back position and runs like he's wearing horse blinders.

And don't even lazily try to come in and here and claim Warren's stats are inflated because he just comes in on 3rd and 17 when we're down two scores in the fourth quarter and rips off a 10 yard run. He has 16 total 3rd down carries in 2 years. 7% of his total carries. And his splits and eye test show he's just as good in the first three quarters than he is in the fourth. Basically any situation, first down through fourth, ahead, tied, or behind, first or second half, Warren is dramatically better than Najee.

Last edited:
November 21 Matt Canada was fired. If you look at the stats over the last 7 games. Both Najee Harris and Jaylen Warren averaged the same number of yards per carry around 4.2. Prior to that the Canada offense was so vanilla that the opposing teams could gear up on the play. There are 2 things that Jaylen has over Najee better in open space and hands. I'm sure there are others. But I wouldn't discredit Najee so passionately as you are. Keep in mind once Mason become the starter the offense started to click more.

I just want them both to stay healthy. It’s a long season and both will get plenty of touches.

I’ve been drafting both in Fantasy best ball this year though much heavier on Warren because I think his home run ability and vision will make him far more effective. Still expect Najee to get enough to outpace his ADP. Think Detroit where both Jahmyr Gibbs and Montgomery are both worth starting every week. Achane and Mostert. Chubb and Hunt a few years back.

Arthur Smith offense with QBs who excel in play action? I’m buying while others are fading. My biggest concern is needing another outside WR to compliment Pickens. Without a second weapon, Pickens can be schemed out. Is Roman Wilson good enough?

I just want them both to stay healthy. It’s a long season and both will get plenty of touches.

I’ve been drafting both in Fantasy best ball this year though much heavier on Warren because I think his home run ability and vision will make him far more effective. Still expect Najee to get enough to outpace his ADP. Think Detroit where both Jahmyr Gibbs and Montgomery are both worth starting every week. Achane and Mostert. Chubb and Hunt a few years back.

Arthur Smith offense with QBs who excel in play action? I’m buying while others are fading. My biggest concern is needing another outside WR to compliment Pickens. Without a second weapon, Pickens can be schemed out. Is Roman Wilson good enough?
Not to play on the outside and win as a rookie. He has some tools that mean he could develop to the outside, but I think he is slot only. Unless that big trade is coming, there is a huge problem.

Not to play on the outside and win as a rookie. He has some tools that mean he could develop to the outside, but I think he is slot only. Unless that big trade is coming, there is a huge problem.
Wilson is a speedy vertical slot guy who will be used for PA looks. He's not an outside WR who can beat beat press/man coverages consistently.

I do agree that the Steelers still need an outside WR to compliment Pickens, but who knows what their WR usage plans are.

Last edited:

Wilson is a speedy vertical slot guy who will be used for PA looks. He's not an outside WR who can beat beat press/man coverages consistently.

I do agree that the Steelers still need an outside WR to compliment Pickens, but who knows what their WR usage plans are.
If you look at Smith's past, they are likely running a lot of 12 personnel. They need someone to be available deep to take advantage of play action.

Both Najee and Warren are solid and will benefit from not having Canada's scheme holding them back. I think the front office just wants to see how Najee does with the new scheme. Also, Najee has always seemed self-motivated, but if the Steelers ever had an "all-in" year, it's this one with two incredibly cheap QBs. Players often have their best season in contract years, it might be as simple as wanting Najee to go HAAM this year before discussing an extension after the season.

I like both Warren and Harris. However when evaluating them I don't think a side-by-side comparison of stats tells the whole story. For the most part Harris has a lot more 1st and 2nd down carries than Warren.
I would also love to see the defensive alignment comparison. It felt like Najee was being bashed against 10 man fronts within Canada's scheme since the play calling was so predictable. Warren had change of pace on 3rd down with much lighter pressure up front.

Users who are viewing this thread