What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Ridiculous Schedule, Cam Hayward misses OTAs (7 Viewers)

Think Sutton but not positive.
He's signed for 2 more years for slightly more than we were paying Diontae Johnson. I'd be ok trading for him and letting him play out his current contract, but wouldn't want to extend him for big $$. He has shown to be a top 50 WR, but not a top 20 guy.
I’d rather roll wirh what we got before I’d pay him what he’s due.

Van Jefferson’s 2021 season was arguably better than every year of Suttons career except one. And better than every year since he tore his ACL. I’m not saying he’s as good, I am saying it’s a minimal at best upgrade.
There's honestly 40-50 WRs I'd rather have, probably more if you account for his $17 mil per year cost. I would 1000% rather have Deebo, Higgins, and Aiyuk.
A bit worried the target might be Lockett. He had better stats than Sutton last year, and the Seahawks have 3 solid WRs, but Lockett's cap hit balloons to $30 million next year and he's 31. I'd rather overpay a bit and get a WR under 28.

Think Sutton but not positive.
He's signed for 2 more years for slightly more than we were paying Diontae Johnson. I'd be ok trading for him and letting him play out his current contract, but wouldn't want to extend him for big $$. He has shown to be a top 50 WR, but not a top 20 guy.
I’d rather roll wirh what we got before I’d pay him what he’s due.

Van Jefferson’s 2021 season was arguably better than every year of Suttons career except one. And better than every year since he tore his ACL. I’m not saying he’s as good, I am saying it’s a minimal at best upgrade.
There's honestly 40-50 WRs I'd rather have, probably more if you account for his $17 mil per year cost. I would 1000% rather have Deebo, Higgins, and Aiyuk.
A bit worried the target might be Lockett. He had better stats than Sutton last year, and the Seahawks have 3 solid WRs, but Lockett's cap hit balloons to $30 million next year and he's 31. I'd rather overpay a bit and get a WR under 28.
I think you are free from the Lockett worry, if I'm wrong no one would be more blindsided about it then him because I recall him having a press conference this off-season when he amended his contract saying something about now people can stop talking about him getting traded.

Heavy.com should be renamed heavy on rumors and not substantiated news. Latest rumor Jay Jones who was just released today. Heavy just keeps mentioning these middle of the rung receivers

The most recent rumor is that we've basically called about half the top 15 WRs in the league, but that they would be post-June 1st due to current contracts. At this point I'll believe it when I see it. Too much buzz without substance.

There are a handful of free agents I wouldn't be too surprised if we signed.
  • Edge: Markus Golden or Bud Dupree on a relatively cheap contract to be OLB 3/4
  • CB: Pat P or Chandon Sullivan, assuming we don't sign Cam Sutton. We still need slot CB help unless Trice is healthy and already has that job locked down, which would be surprising.
  • S: Terrell Edmunds, I know we already brought in a safety, but it's a familiar face who Minkah likes and he'd be real cheap.

I'm very lazy but should we put a poll together for everyone to pick their favorite Steelers Rookie regardless of draft order.
You mean favorite draft pick this year? Love the 1st 2 but the 3rd round picks easily for me. And if Wilson can stay healthy it's easily him. (purposely evasive but you know)

If we're so fortunate to have a healthy PW for 5 years it'll be an awesome thing to watch.

I'm very lazy but should we put a poll together for everyone to pick their favorite Steelers Rookie regardless of draft order.
My favorite would probably be Zach Frazier, with Fautanu a tiny step behind just because we already have one solid tackle. We haven't had a good Center since the 2018 season. Mentally Pouncey was still an asset who could diagnose defensive schemes and help situate the offense, but physically his play deteriorated in 2019 and 2020. If Frazier can come in and become the commanding presence we've needed for the last 6 years, that would be amazing. And the fact that we got him without giving up one of our 3rd round picks is incredible.

My overall order just based on how excited I am for them to be Steelers is probably:
  1. Zach Frazier
  2. Troy Fautanu
  3. Payton Wilson (always been a fan of Steelers ILBs)
  4. Roman Wilson
  5. Mason McCormick
  6. Beanie Bishop Jr (UDFA slot CB, 4.39 pro day)
  7. Logan Lee
  8. Ryan Watts
McCormick would be higher if there was an opening at Guard, but I think that Seumalo and Daniels really did well with what they had around them last year. Seumalo is stuck between Moore and Cole, and Moore was worse than most people even realize. If our QBs weren't some of the fastest in the league at getting rid of the ball, there would have been way more sacks. Daniels had Cole and Chuks until Broderick was finally allowed to start. And then he had Cole and a rookie. A decent rookie, but still a work in progress.

I'm hoping that Beanie can come in and compete for starting nickel corner and that Trice might also push for nickel or outside. Beanie is very similar in size to Mike Hilton, but Hilton ran a 4.55 and Beanie ran a 4.39.

Not super excited about Lee because his size reminds me of Leal, I think he's undersized to play our typical DE role, but we'll see if he can put on muscle and maintain explosiveness. Also, Watts has some good plays but he ran a 4.71 and lots of the highlight reel plays are WRs beating him down the field and him catching up in fantastic fashion to make a play. He might be able to play slot or safety for us depending on his instincts.

McCormick is my favorite BECAUSE he was the third OL selected by Pittsburgh. Puts a bold exclamation mark on the 2024 draft and I didn’t see it coming. This is what we needed to do the year Najee was drafted. Long overdue. Plus he looks like a giant Lego person in pads yet still plays fast with good movement. Not natural!

Individual rookie I’m most excited to see is Payton Wilson. Been desperate for good ILB. Played for years at a very high level and love his closing speed. His ability to cover is impressive. Surrounded by the front seven talent, he will shine as soon as he gets a shot.

Frazier probably my fav, and I am not a WVU fan, just like the way he plays. I like all OL, was one myself decades ago.
I am curious what P Wilson can bring. I really wasnt expecting him to become a Steeler. Obviously dude has the size and athletic ability. Will it translate to the NFL?

FBG article on main page for OL rankings:

32PITBroderick JonesIsaac SeumaloZach FrazierJames DanielsTroy Fautanu

I definitely would question the Steeler's ranking. I was curious to see what copilot would say. Here you go...

While the Footballguys ranking might have placed the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offensive line at the bottom for 2024, there are several reasons why they might not end up dead last. Let’s explore some factors:

1. Offseason Additions:
  2. Coaching and Development:
    • Pat Meyer, the Steelers’ offensive line coach, has reason to be optimistic. With new talent on board, he can focus on developing their skills and cohesion.
    • The coaching staff’s ability to refine techniques, improve communication, and adapt to game situations will be crucial.
  3. Returning Players:
    • While the Steelers lost some key linemen in previous seasons, they still have experienced players. James Daniels at right guard and Isaac Seumalo at left guard bring stability to the interior.
    • Dan Moore Jr., who played left tackle last season, could continue to develop and contribute.
  4. Scheme Adjustments:
    • Offensive schemes can significantly impact line performance. The Steelers may adjust their play-calling and blocking schemes to maximize their linemen’s strengths.
    • A well-designed scheme can mitigate weaknesses and create favorable matchups.
  5. Health and Chemistry:
    • Injuries plagued the Steelers’ offensive line in 2023. If they can stay healthy, it will make a difference.
    • Building chemistry among linemen is essential. Consistent starters working together can improve communication and coordination.
  6. Motivation and Determination:
    • Being ranked last can serve as motivation. Players often strive to prove critics wrong and exceed expectations.
    • The Steelers’ linemen may take this ranking as a challenge and work hard to improve their performance.
In summary, while rankings provide a snapshot, the Steelers’ rebuilt offensive line has potential. Their offseason moves, coaching, returning players, and determination could lead to better results than predicted. Keep an eye on their progress throughout the season! 🏈🔥1

Steelers are apparently pondering on using Justin Fields as a returner.. LOL

I kid you not
Then why sign Cordarrelle. Plus, way to expose your backup QB to a potential injury who should be starting 1/3 of the way into the season. Unless MT truly wants him to sit the whole season and learn the system and the position from RW.

I kid you not
that cannot be a credible rumor. the rumor mill is pretty hard to take right now.
If true, then it seems they are not going to sign him to an extension, and just use him however they feel they can for a year. WR, RB, QB, returner.....Slash part 2.

I kid you not
Danny Smith is talking without thinking. Tomlin and the organization won't jeopardize their "future" QB for this.
Is he 100% their future QB tho.. He is going to cost a lot, and I am not sure they are going to do it.

I think JF was a cheap addition they made, with no huge loss if he isn't there in 2025.

They need to get a deal done with Fields, avoid the 5th year option next year, IDK if even they can if they use it on Najee. Fields should be willing to do a 3 year deal, make more this year, for doing nothing(maybe), but next year make less than the 5th yr option, which no one would use on him, but will likely have 2 yrs starting w Steelers, and if he is good enough, someone will pay him big time money, probably the Steelers.
Otherwise he is scrap heap QB next year in free agency, no starting spot.
Remember, Steelers traded a 6th rd pick for him, maybe other teams offered a 4 or 5th, but teams weren't exactly kicking in the Bears door to get him.

It has already been reported the Steelers are not going to pick up Fields' 5th year option. They may be trying to reach a deal for extension but if that falls through they'll just let the Wilson/Fields combo play out. The only way fields is getting big money next year is if Wilson gets hurt or sucks and Fields lights it up.

Right, so if he wants a longer career and a good chance to be a starter next year, here in Pittsburgh, take a 3 yr deal, $8-10M per year(a la Jordan Love did in GB), or with incentives if/when he starts, and how much he wins, baked into it.
Steelers knew they werent picking up that 5th year, so it would be silly to trade for him for one year, and then trade Pickett for a 4th rd pick or whatever it was(who could have been here for 2 more year, plus a 5th option). I guess tho, it did land them P Wilson in the draft.
Just gotta wait and see.....

The Steelers O-line was 25th last year. So we somehow got 7 spots worse while replacing Mason Cole and Dan Moore, and moving Broderick to his more natural position. Interesting. I'd be willing to bet all the money that we rank better than 32 by the end of the season...

The Steelers O-line was 25th last year. So we somehow got 7 spots worse while replacing Mason Cole and Dan Moore, and moving Broderick to his more natural position. Interesting. I'd be willing to bet all the money that we rank better than 32 by the end of the season...
This raises add’l questions:

(1) Is Arthur Smith incorporating a zone blocking scheme?

(2) How mobile/athletic are their OL-men?

(3) How long of a learning curve will there be w/ a possible new scheme before the OL gels?

(4) Will their running game suffer in the meantime?

Total speculation, a WAG. Bryant McFadden threw that out of leftfield tweet about a significant playmaker in the works. He previously got info about Justin Fields, and you'd think it might have been from Fields' agent David Mulugheta. David Mulugheta represents Tee Higgins and apparently the agent and the Bengals don't play nice together.

And Higgins wants more money than the Bengals are going to offer.

I hate that. It wasnt a big number?
Maybe an extension is planned? In which case it's not necessary.
Also hated to see it and surprised. It's about the same as what Devin Singletary got, seems worth it to me.

With RB's going year to year is best if you can so I guess I could see potential extension two ways. One is they don't have to do that until after this season, see how things go in Arthurs systems. That makes sense. But again you don't want to commit multiple years if you don't have to and just locking him up for 2025 seemed more ideal to me then extending him past 2025, and maybe more costy for 2025.

Perhaps with the QB uncertainty they just want to project as much cap space as possible for next season?

It is extremely unlikely they run this line out next year, but if they do it will be terrible. Rookie OL are bad. Guys who turn out to be great, almost always still start out bad. It takes until year 4 for an OLman to really develop.

Broderick Jones looked purty darn good last year. I expect both rookie lineman to do very well. The offensive line along with better QB play will result in not only an improved running game but also passing game.

Look last year Mason Cole was getting manhandled at times and at times misfiring snaps. Dan Moore Jr never should of started last year. He only made $1 million and he's such a likeable guy.

Steeler's OL is definitely not 32 ranked in my mind. The FBG ranking was laughable at best.

Also I don't view Najee as average. End of last year he was showing above average talent.

Look last year Matt Canada whose name i don't like to use because he was a horrible OC, terrible communicator, and didn't game plan with his coaches was running the offense into the ground and demoralizing the team. Plus it didn't help that Kenny was horrible.

Going into this season I'm higher on the Steelers than I have been the past 2 seasons. My concern is RW age and near the end of last year he was playing pretty good. He could stunt JF growth. I'm high on JF. The Bears never gave him all the weapons like Caleb has.

Also hoping that Payton Wilson stays healthy. If you haven't seen his highlights please do yourself a favor fire up YouTube and watch his highlights.

Last edited:

It is extremely unlikely they run this line out next year, but if they do it will be terrible. Rookie OL are bad. Guys who turn out to be great, almost always still start out bad. It takes until year 4 for an OLman to really develop.
Other than Tomlin's aversion to starting rookies it's quite likely that they do have that for the starting OL (with a caveat of Jones being on the right). They could continue on with Brown at LT but if they do I doubt it'll be a long spell for him until Fautanu is in. And same goes for center where Frazier is almost definitely already better than Herbig.

So hard to type on a cell phone. Lol

3C's excellent point on Tomlin's aversion to starting rookies. I see at least 4 starting at some point in the season

He is at best an average back and will be 27 next year and can be expected to start dropping off.

Pretty much this. Whether people agree with the "at best" or not is irrelevant: He's "old." This is what you get when you burn a premium pick on a depressed value position who is ALSO already old for his class. You get one contract out of him, maybe.

Those are the kind of picks that a SB winner from the previous year, with a still-in-their-prime QB, can afford to make. Not ones that hadn't had a playoff win in a couple of years and were sporting what was clearly "End Stage Ben" under center. I get why the team did what they did. They felt they owed Ben one more shot at a ring....but I didn't agree that a 1st round RB was going to be what got it for him then, and I haven't changed my mind about it at all.

Look, Harris seems like a great teammate and a guy who you aren't ashamed to call "Steeler", but they've gotten similar/better output from Warren playing for the same OC, behind the same line, with the same QBs and he was undrafted. Even if Warren's output degraded with higher usage, it'd still be a net gain since they didn't have to burn a 1st to land the production.

None of that matters at all now though. I think they're going to extend him, because Naj is one of "Tomlin's guys" and the team usually takes care of those. I also think that is the wrong move, given his age and high usage. Chances are the cliff with Naj will be sudden and precipitous. Let it happen to another team. "Better a year too soon..." etc, etc.

Last edited:
He has averaged 3.9 yds per carry. He is at best an average back and will be 27 next year and can be expected to start dropping off. He isn't worth what is making on his rookie deal now.
To be fair to Najee, and the whole Steelers offense the last 3 seasons, they were saddled with Matt Canada. Najee averaged 4.1 yards last year in a Matt Canada offense, that feels like 4.8 in an average NFL offense.

But yeah, I agree that the main reason for not extending him was probably his age. It doesn't make sense to pay a 30 year old RB (except maybe Ravens/Henry). If he has a great year I wouldn't be shocked by a 2-3 year contract.

M
He has averaged 3.9 yds per carry. He is at best an average back and will be 27 next year and can be expected to start dropping off. He isn't worth what is making on his rookie deal now.
To be fair to Najee, and the whole Steelers offense the last 3 seasons, they were saddled with Matt Canada. Najee averaged 4.1 yards last year in a Matt Canada offense, that feels like 4.8 in an average NFL offense.

But yeah, I agree that the main reason for not extending him was probably his age. It doesn't make sense to pay a 30 year old RB (except maybe Ravens/Henry). If he has a great year I wouldn't be shocked by a 2-3 year contract.

But how much was the 5-year extension? Seemed cheap IIRC.

M

$6.79 million per Spotrac

We called this on draft day 2021. Not picking up the 5th year option highlights what a poor decision it was to draft Najee in the 1st. Teven Jenkins was the next OT (G) taken. He would have been an easy call to pick up the 5th which is what you want from a round 1 draft pick.

To be clear... I like Najee. He has played well and been a reliable back. Not his fault Pittsburgh over drafted him. Najee would have to play like CMC or King Henry to be worth a first round pick.

M

A lot more than a 3rd round pick in 2025, but less than some of the contracts given out this year.

Not sure if this is an error or what. It doesn’t make any sense based on the run/pass block rankings from the same article.

Run blocking #20
Pass blocking #19

These do not = the #32 OL

Could we get Matt Bitonti or even Joe Bryant in here for further explanation? Do we have that kind of power? Joe has always been cooler than this guy -> :shades: The explanation could be as easy as this. 3 of the players have an NFL ranking score from last year. The Steeler's OL scoring rank at the end of last season was xx. Due to the fact that 2 rookies didn't play in the NFL last year the Steeler's ranking for this year is affected by the rookies. Hence ranking 32.

Users who are viewing this thread