What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Ridiculous Schedule, Cam Hayward misses OTAs (3 Viewers)

Bieniemy or Kubiak are fantastic choices. Thought Eric was primed for a head coach position. Didnt think he’d be in play.
Agree, both strong choices.

As far as I know on Eric B the potential HC ship has sailed away from his life for right now, have not even heard his name on the interview circuit this off-season.
Yea, that isn’t in the cards this season it seems. Apparently the steelers were close to bringing him in as a Flores type position last season but he wanted to do something else.

as well as another QB that I don’t want to mention for fear of identifying the source. But not one I had heard linked to us before who has a prolific career.
Interesting and made me run through the possible candidates and found myself wondering does Ryan Tannehill qualify? Not that you need to answer, just talking out loud.
Tannehill makes sense whether he is the mystery QB or not. With Levis in the fold, why wouldn’t the Titans shop him around. Steelers might get him cheap like we did with ARob last offseason.

as well as another QB that I don’t want to mention for fear of identifying the source. But not one I had heard linked to us before who has a prolific career.
Interesting and made me run through the possible candidates and found myself wondering does Ryan Tannehill qualify? Not that you need to answer, just talking out loud.
Tannehill makes sense whether he is the mystery QB or not. With Levis in the fold, why wouldn’t the Titans shop him around. Steelers might get him cheap like we did with ARob last offseason.
He's actually a free agent.

What I saw from Eric B this year as OC of Washington would make me pass on him. He tried to run things as though Mahomes was still the QB, and it was dreadful.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the “mystery” qb is likely.
When you mentioned prolific career. From an EOL QB perspective who could be available. My mind immediately went to Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, and Kirk Cousins(could barely slide into this prolific thang). EOL you're looking to win immediately. Jets have the 10th pick in the draft. They could easily move up for a QB or hope for one of them to fall. Others such as Kyler, Ryan Tannehill, Derek Carr, Jimmy G., Geno Smith are not prolific QBs. Justin Fields is a gamble worth taking. Russell Wilson too costly from a monetary perspective and doesn't come off like a model teammate.

When you mentioned prolific career. From an EOL QB perspective who could be available. My mind immediately went to Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, and Kirk Cousins(could barely slide into this prolific thang). EOL you're looking to win immediately. Jets have the 10th pick in the draft. They could easily move up for a QB or hope for one of them to fall. Others such as Kyler, Ryan Tannehill, Derek Carr, Jimmy G., Geno Smith are not prolific QBs. Justin Fields is a gamble worth taking. Russell Wilson too costly from a monetary perspective and doesn't come off like a model teammate.
He mentioned Cousins in the post so it isn’t him. I can’t imagine the Jets would trade away Rodgers after the way the season played out.

Cam says anyone saying he should take a pay cut can piss off. He definitely still has the heart and the drive.

Justin Fields will be in the final year of his deal in 2024, with his 5th year option costing $25 million. So it would be roughly ~$14 million per year for 2 years if Chicago keeps most of the signing bonus, etc. on their books. If whatever OC we hire thinks he can turn Fields into a top 8 QB then we should pull the trigger but I'd probably limit the offer to a 3rd this year and a 4th in 2025.

I do think Chicago has done him a disservice by not being able to use his talents to their fullest, but Fields had 1 game over 300 yards this season, it's definitely a risk. I'm fine if we miss out because another team offers more compensation.

Cam says anyone saying he should take a pay cut can piss off. He definitely still has the heart and the drive.

No way you can have Cam back at $22 million cap hit. If he wants to play they're going to need to come to an extension.

No way you can have Cam back at $22 million cap hit. If he wants to play they're going to need to come to an extension.
I've been assuming a 2-year extension prior to the injury issues this year. I don't think Cam would or should take a discount on next season, but years 2 and 3 of the deal probably shouldn't be $16 mil per year purely based on his age and the likelihood that his injuries will probably increase and he will slow down. I'd assume $12 mil per year, possibly with void years at the end of the contract to provide more relief.

He mentioned Cousins in the post so it isn’t him. I can’t imagine the Jets would trade away Rodgers after the way the season played out.
Maybe it's the other Jets qb. :oldunsure: He does throw the ball well when moving to his left. :ROFLMAO:

If the Rams select a QB in the first round and/or the Jet's. Will they then trade their aging QB or let him mentor the rookie.
I would expect the Rams to keep Stafford to try and make a run with him & Donald. I think the Jets would be happy to move on from Rodgers, but it looks like his contract is pretty bloated and would be hard to move.

Also, I'm not sure either the Jets or Rams will select a QB in the 1st. QB could go 1, 2, 3, and then fall to late 1st, but both teams are in win-now mode. I could see both teams taking a QB in the 2nd. It would be hilarious if the Jets took a QB in the 1st just to try and activate "Spite Aaron".

If the Rams select a QB in the first round and/or the Jet's. Will they then trade their aging QB or let him mentor the rookie.
No way on Rodgers, the coaching staff owes him their jobs, he's the only reason they get to return because he's running the show.

Depending on who you want to believe, or not, Stafford was made available last off-season because he has a $31M guarantee that was going to kick in for the 2024 season with a cap number of $50M. After the way he played this year I don't think they are as worried about that guarantee, there is no cap savings now if he's traded before June 1. Rams finally have some cap space and draft picks and would expect them to try and make a run with Stafford. They might draft a QB in round one or high to develop and make Stafford available after the 2024 season.

Albert Breer

Source: The Steelers and Raiders have put in slips to interview Rams pass-game coordinator Zac Robinson for their OC jobs. Robinson interviews with the Patriots tomorrow, previously interviewed with the Bears.

Haven't mastered reading minds, key is connecting through the subconscious ya?

Team needs, QB is technically #1 need as Kenny Pickett is garbage, Rudolph is a free agent and Trubisky is an easy cut. I believe the Steelers will sign at least 1 QB (hopefully Rudy) to be the starter. Outside QB, C seems like the top need. Philly center is retiring, so they'll be fighting with us to get a top replacement. I struggle between ILB and OT as #2. Lean towards OT with ILB coming back from injury. CB #3. WR #4 DL #5.

Mason Cole has to go before March 19th 1.5mil roster bonus. If we don't go free agency here, Jackson Powers Johnson or Sedrick Van Pran are critical targets on the draft board. OT Graham Barton reportedly might become a C at NFL level. His tape looks terrible. No idea why he is listed around 36th best draft prospect and hope Pittsburgh steers clear.

OT Taliese Fuaga is fun to watch film. Great size, freaky strength and his quickness pops. You blink and he is suddenly 5 yards down field. Current mocks, he's available 100% of the time at pick 20. Think that'll change by April. Would be ideal to improve the OL along with a Center. Getting Fuaga and either JPJ/SVP round 2 feels like a winning start.

Wouldn't be shocked to see a high pick on WR. It's a deep class and we could see a first round WR talent in round 2 or 2nd rd talent in the 3rd. Diontae is on the last year of his contract if I'm not mistaken. He's a terrific #2 with Pickens stepping up to #1. TD threat and gets great separation. If only his hands were more reliable... Would make a ton of sense to take a hard look at this group to find a guy to replace Diontae. Jerry Rice's son Benden Rice (caleb's #1) might drop to the 4th round. Good cheaper candidate who could benefit from a season playing as backup WR taking over ARob role.

Does a 4th round RB become a priority too? Probably not. Najee Harris 10 weeks back, I thought was prime for not picking up his 5th year option. He really came on running his tail off and earned his 5th year extension. Might as well maximize burning a 1st round pick on a RB by getting 5 years on a rookie contract around 6mil. He's too critical to the offense at a reasonable price tag. Plus it's amazing he hasn't missed time due to injury. One tough SOB.

Anyone hoping for a coaching change on the defensive side of the ball is out of luck it sounds like.

Ok I tried..... We just need someone who can read Leroy's mind. :wink:
Well it’s not Arod.

Not sure of the other guy really being available. But this OC interview is a connection to him and Rudolph.
The local station today was mentioning Russell Wilson on the cheap. Since Denver will end up paying for most of his salary. Currently at 35 he'd be a stop gap measure. Better than anyone on the roster. But in the past Russell has come off like prima donna. This could have been the prolific QB you were referring.

Ok I tried..... We just need someone who can read Leroy's mind. :wink:
Well it’s not Arod.

Not sure of the other guy really being available. But this OC interview is a connection to him and Rudolph.
The local station today was mentioning Russell Wilson on the cheap. Since Denver will end up paying for most of his salary. Currently at 35 he'd be a stop gap measure. Better than anyone on the roster. But in the past Russell has come off like prima donna. This could have been the prolific QB you were referring.
No

Steelers interview Kliff Kingsbury for OC. His offenses weren't great in AZ, but maybe that's because he had too much on his plate. I'd rather not hire Kliff.

Mock 2.0 for fun,

Cooper DeJean
    CB Iowa
    Sedrick Van Pran
    OC Georgia
    Ja'Lynn Polk
    WR Washington
    Omar Speights
    LB LSU
    Tyler Davis
    DT Clemson
    Walter Rouse
    OT Oklahoma
    Jaylen Key
    S Alabama

Ok. So I am hearing OC is someone that hasn’t been reported as even interviewing nor anyone I previously mentioned. Not sure what to make of this.

Mock 2.0 for fun,

Cooper DeJean arguably #1 CB available at 20 is a win on paper, but i think it'll be easier to find a quality CB in free agency vs OT.
    CB Iowa
    Sedrick Van Pran chicken dinner! big fan of SVP. any draft getting this guy or JPJ at C is a success
    OC Georgia
    Ja'Lynn Polk great pick! big receiver big playmaker. probably only lasted to mid 3rd because this class is deep and talented
    WR Washington
    Omar Speights ILB feels like a must draft somewhere between rd 2 and 4. Inject some youth.
    LB LSU
    Tyler Davis DL makes sense. adding youth to the group and develop
    DT Clemson
    Walter Rouse Hate waiting till the 6th before selecting OT. Isaac Seumalo got stuck between a turnstyle LT and C who can't snap. Let's give the new OC and QB a chance by upgrading both.
    OT Oklahoma
    Jaylen Key Any S taken this late is a practice squad guy or outside chance special teams ace at best. Rather take a shot at any other position. Punter perhaps?
    S Alabama
Like this draft overall, but hopefully Omar works some magic so we don't need a CB in the first. Bring back Seven Nelson???
Big concern is going into camp with Dan Moore Jr. as starting LT with no competition. Makes me cringe. Word on OT, this is a deep and talented group. Maybe 7 expected to grade out as 1st rounders.

Ok. So I am hearing OC is someone that hasn’t been reported as even interviewing nor anyone I previously mentioned. Not sure what to make of this.
Must be Ron Mexico (aka Mike Vick). Who else is worthy of replacing Matt Canada?

Don't like the sound of this. Started getting hopes up we wait for SF to lose and go hard for Kubiak.

So do you believe the decision on OC has been made and is final?
Not sure. Wasn’t definitive. More “sounds like it’s X” who there may have been rumors about, but no reports on an interview as far as I have seen.

Unless they're worried about someone scooping them I don't think they're going to be in a rush.

Unless they're worried about someone scooping them I don't think they're going to be in a rush.
Nobody scooping who I am hearing. Robinson to Falcons
I’ll bite. Who are you hearing?
Arthur Smith …. Hope it is bad info.

Stafford was the qb but I just don’t see it. Especially if we lost out on the Rams coordinators.

I assumed Stafford was who you meant, but no way the Rams do that, IMO. Could not take that seriously.

Smith would certainly be a "Canadian" sort of move. Vomit.

Nobody scooping who I am hearing. Robinson to Falcons
I’ll bite. Who are you hearing?
Arthur Smith …. Hope it is bad info.

Stafford was the qb but I just don’t see it. Especially if we lost out on the Rams coordinators.

I assumed Stafford was who you meant, but no way the Rams do that, IMO. Could not take that seriously.

Smith would certainly be a "Canadian" sort of move. Vomit.
Yea. Never bought the qb and the oc would be very disappointing. No report on an interview there but rumors of interest.

The source isnt in the room for everything so sometimes I think he takes a tidbit and reports to my friend as gospel.

I'm seeing Smith reported as "getting interest from as many as 7 teams!" on si.com, but even they're only speculating "the Steelers could be another team interested." So, I took that as them not being one of the 7 who have been scratching up his tree yet.

Still holding out at least a little hope they're after someone who is still on a team in the playoffs. Smith would be....beyond disappointing. His flavor of OC would basically cement that Tomlin is going to stubbornly continue to go full "Cowherball", in a decidedly non-"Cowherball" era, and damn the torpedoes otherwise. :bored:

Arthur Smith was a good OC so he wouldn't be a terrible choice. I mentioned him in the 2023 thread as a possibility. Certainly most feel Kubiak might be better (remains to be seen) but he will probably go somewhere else if he leaves the 9ers.

Also, not sure if the source is "Poni" or the source made the same mistake as he did, but he ran with the below tweet and counted 8 teams needing OC's and the tweet said more than 7 so 1 of them HAD to be the Steelers. There's more than 8 teams who need OC's though since there's 8 new HC's and several of those are OC's who just got promoted.

Dianna Russini
Former Falcons head coach Arthur Smith has received serious interest from more than 7 teams about joining their offensive staff as the offensive coordinator, per sources. He will have options.

I don't think they're going to go running a contract to him unless they're convinced he's the guy. As Russini says, Smith has options.

"Arthur Smith was a good OC" if you're cool with becoming Titans East. I'll take a pass. Especially if by hiring him it meant there was even a scrap of a chance there was a Tannehill signing in the offing.

His brand of offense is not going to win Super Bowls, IMO. It's not 1998. They'd almost certainly run the wheels off, though, which I imagine would give Coach T (and a bunch of provincial homers) "pants feelings." Meh. They can do better. Not saying they WILL, but they CAN.

Seeing a lot of chatter on the innerwebz that Smith is just going to wind up following Vrabel wherever he ends up, which makes a lot of sense. Vrabel is also a guy who seems content to rack up winning records with no real playoff success to show for it, has a history with Smith, and is certainly a dude I would wager gets "pants feelings" about running the ball 500+ times in a season.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread