What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Decline 5th year options for Harris and Fields (3 Viewers)

Man, I really would love this draft if Hunter Nourzad would have been there at 178 like I was targeting. So I ended up not getting a Center unfortunately. I also doubt they take Boyd, as nobody was at the pro day at all.

20. Nate Wiggins - CB Clemson
51. Patrick Paul - OT Houston
84. Ricky Pearsall - WR Florida
98. Jeremiah Trotter Jr. - LB Clemson
119. Jaden Hicks - S Washington State
178. Khristian Boyd - DT Nothern Iowa
195. Brennan Jackson - EDGE Washington State

I like Nate Wiggins he will go late teens to no later than 29. I'm still high on Corey Trice the steal of last years draft minus the injury. However, with an injury such as Corey's you have to give him a 1 full playing year then past judgement on that 2nd full year of play.

Only knock on Hunter is he will be 24 in November. Otherwise, a solid guy who played multiple positions in college.

Ricky Pearsall has been getting attention from the Chargers. He's been rising on the boards and probably won't be there at 84.

I love how you guys do mock drafts of the actual draft. When I do a mock for ff I tend to either get depressed because I'll never land that roster in a real league, or I'll get big headed thinking the people I draft against are morons but in all actuality, they are some of the brightest people around and usually take my teams to school.

Man, I really would love this draft if Hunter Nourzad would have been there at 178 like I was targeting. So I ended up not getting a Center unfortunately. I also doubt they take Boyd, as nobody was at the pro day at all.

Solid but who is going to play C?

Herbig. If this scenario happens I bet they'd sign/trade for a center.

Yea, I waited too long. Under this scenario, it is Herbig vs Spencer Anderson in camp I bet. So looks like if we pass on C in 1-2, that we have to select one of the second tier guys at 98 or 119. I gambled that Nourzad would be there at 178,

The more drafts I see the more I want us to trade down, if feasible. If we can net another 2nd or 3rd or both, that makes taking a center in the 2nd more palatable.

Personally I would be pretty happy with Arnold, Fuaga, Fashanu, Latu, Latham, Murphy, Fautanu, DeJean, Mims, Wiggins, Powers-Johnson, Barton, McConkey, Newton, or Guyton, so trading down to the mid-late 20's would be fine. Teams might want to move up for a tackle or CB, probably not a center, though if JPJ goes before us I would not be shocked if someone moved up for Barton.

Not a big fan of Thomas or Kool-Aid or Chop Robinson or AD Mitchell or Xavier Worthy.

This one is more like it:

20. Amarius Mims - OT Georgia
51. Zach Frazier - OC West Virginia
84. Johnny Wilson - WR Florida State
178. M.J. Devonshire - CB Pittsburgh
195. Dylan McMahon - OG/C NC State

I'd love to see the Steeler's pick Luke McCaffrey comes from great bloodlines. He transitioned from QB to WR 2 years ago. Only way they draft Luke is if he falls in the draft and as their 2nd receiver in the draft. Of which both will not happen. But you gotta like a kid like this. He's not your Arthur Smith big boned WR.

I'd love to see the Steeler's pick Luke McCaffrey comes from great bloodlines. He transitioned from QB to WR 2 years ago. Only way they draft Luke is if he falls in the draft and as their 2nd receiver in the draft. Of which both will not happen. But you gotta like a kid like this. He's not your Arthur Smith big boned WR.
Every mock draft I take him late. With kickoffs changing he has even more upside. Steelers also love NFL bloodlines.

McCaffrey, Trotter, and Eichenberg all have NFL relations and are positions of need.

Championship:

20. JC Latham - OT Alabama
51. Xavier Legette - WR South Carolina
84. Cedric Gray - LB North Carolina
98. Calen Bullock - S USC
119. Hunter Nourzad - OC Penn State

Every mock draft I take him late. With kickoffs changing he has even more upside. Steelers also love NFL bloodlines.

McCaffrey, Trotter, and Eichenberg all have NFL relations and are positions of need.

Would not surprise me to get one of those legacy guys at all. Trotter's size and their recent experience with Bush may scare them though.

Championship:

51. Xavier Legette - WR South Carolina
84. Cedric Gray - LB North Carolina
98. Calen Bullock - S USC
119. Hunter Nourzad - OC Penn State
I think taking OT in the 1st typically ends up with the better overall draft. Unless they like Blake Fisher (they didn't send a large contingent to Notre Dame), there's not an OT I like much after the 3rd, and there's often a dead zone of OTs after pick ~45. More and more often I'm getting Frazier in the 2nd round again, not sure if that's realistic or what. I'm not confident Fuaga will last to 20, but recently got this mock and would be very happy:
20. Taliese Fuaga, RT, Oregon St.
51. Zach Frazier, OC, WVU
84. Mike Sainristil, Slot CB, Michigan
98. Johnny Wilson, WR, FSU
119. Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU
178. Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio St
195. Sione Vaki, S, Utah

I keep getting Wingo and Eichenberg late in drafts, I think both fit needs and may fall due to perceived weaknesses. Eichenberg reminds me a lot of Chris Borland. His career was cut short because he worried about CTE (rightfully so), but he was a stalwart piece of the defense who used football instincts to make up for some lack of speed. Worst case, he's a solid LB 3/4 and special teamer.

If Diggs is only worth a 2025 2nd plus mids, we should trade a 2024 3rd for Aiyuk plus 2025 mid-picks. He is better than any WR we would get there. If we could then trade backwards to like 28 in the 1st and get Mims, Latham, Powers, or Barton, while gaining some picks, that would be a huge win IMHO.

If Diggs is only worth a 2025 2nd plus mids, we should trade a 2024 3rd for Aiyuk plus 2025 mid-picks. He is better than any WR we would get there. If we could then trade backwards to like 28 in the 1st and get Mims, Latham, Powers, or Barton, while gaining some picks, that would be a huge win IMHO.
I think his price has gone up... Buffalo will be looking for a WR, and possibly KC with what may happen with Rice.

I'd be happy with this, but all reports are that Aiyuk will sign long term with the 49ers. It sounded like he's off the market.

This looks like a Steelers type draft:

51. Braden Fiske - DT Florida State
84. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger - OC Georgia
98. Mike Sainristil - CB Michigan
119. Luke McCaffrey - WR Rice
178. Tommy Eichenberg - LB Ohio State
195. Mohamed Kamara - EDGE Colorado State

I would be ok with that. Not really a fan of Fiske though.

When Lebeau was with the Titans, he loved guys that (could) play multiple positions. He always had the depth DBs playing S and CB.

Is their still a vibe like that in Pittsburgh? I saw this-
AaronWilson_NFL
UH safety-linebacker Hasaan Hypolite (5-11, 215)
@Landlord_5
participating in #Texans local prospect day, per a league source. Colorado transfer and team captain played slot corner, free safety and defensive line snaps, 33 tackles last season for special-teams standout, all-academic selection
@KPRC2

Back then I'd wish I could bet he'd be one of their UDFA signings

I would be ok with that. Not really a fan of Fiske though.

I shouldn’t say I am not a fan, I just don’t know if he will translate to the NFL

Leroy had Nate Wiggins in one of his mocks which I liked a lot.

Fields to wear #2.

So, here's my thoughts on Jersey number #1. Supposedly the last person to wear it was during 1999 preseason QB Anthony Wright. Gary Anderson wore number #1. The number is not officially retired. But according to here it's unofficially retired. Personally, I feel that he should be able to wear #1.

The only numbers officially retired by the team are:
  • 70 (Ernie Stautner, DT, 1950-1963)
  • 75 (Joe Greene, DT, 1969-1981)
  • 32 (Franco Harris, RB, 1971-1983)

Pittsburgh Steelers “Unofficially” Retired Numbers​

While only the team knows for sure, here is a list of numbers it appears the Pittsburgh Steelers have “unofficially” retired along with their associated players:

1. Gary Anderson, K, 1982-1994
7. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, 2004-2021
12. Terry Bradshaw, QB, 1970-1983
36. Jerome Bettis, RB, 1996-2005
43. Troy Polamalu, S, 2003-2014
47. Mel Blount, CB, 1970-1983
52. Mike Webster, C, 1974-1988
63. Dermontti Dawson, C, 1988-2000
58. Jack Lambert, LB, 1974-1984
59. Jack Ham, LB, 1971-1982
86. Hines Ward, WR, 1998-2011

Saw a mock today with us getting Olu Fashanu at 20, definitely wouldn't hate that. He was talked about as a top 10 pick if he came out last year, and early this year had top 8 buzz. Could be like some other players we got in the past where people would say there's no way he'll be there at X pick, and we snag them.

An excellent value draft would be something like:
20. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn St
51. Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon
84. Mike Sainristil - CB Michigan
98. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger - OC Georgia
178. Khristian Boyd, DL, Northern Iowa
195. Tommy Eichenberg - LB Ohio State

Brett Kollmann was talking about Boyd the other day and he looks like a solid rotational DL to get later in the draft. It was against smaller schools, but he was man handling O-linemen. Having him learn while backing up Heyward, Benton, and Ogunjobi would be solid.

Hitting OT, C, CB, and WR in the first 4 picks, and then getting solid contributors at ILB/DL/WR later in the draft would be awesome.

Saw a mock today with us getting Olu Fashanu at 20, definitely wouldn't hate that. He was talked about as a top 10 pick if he came out last year, and early this year had top 8 buzz. Could be like some other players we got in the past where people would say there's no way he'll be there at X pick, and we snag them.

Brett Kollmann was talking about Boyd the other day and he looks like a solid rotational DL to get later in the draft. It was against smaller schools, but he was man handling O-linemen. Having him learn while backing up Heyward, Benton, and Ogunjobi would be solid.

Hitting OT, C, CB, and WR in the first 4 picks, and then getting solid contributors at ILB/DL/WR later in the draft would be awesome.

This would be damn near perfect. I don’t watch a lot of college football, why is Eichenberg so low?

This would be damn near perfect. I don’t watch a lot of college football, why is Eichenberg so low?
I think that is too high. He is not an NFL LB'er. Way too stiff.

He's projected to go in the 5th I think, but he could fall because he's probably going to be a liability in coverage. Overall, he was a captain for Ohio St for 2 years and was a leader on one of the best defenses in the country. I think his worst case scenario is a solid ILB-4 and special teamer, which isn't terrible for a 6th rounder.

His projected 40 time based on play speed was ~4.69. His 20 yard shuttle was 4.24 and his broad jump was 9'8". He's 6'2" & 233 lbs.
There was another player profile with a 4.22 short shuttle, a 9' 11" broad, and 4.65 40-time. 6'1" and 233 lbs... Lavonte David. I doubt Eichenberg can be that good at ILB, even for his upside, but it's hard to say he's slow when there's other ILBs with really similar athleticism.

I think a more realistic comp is Chris Borland who was worse at most metrics, but had great instincts (though an extremely short career).

More rumors coming out today:
  • Steelers to sign Justin Simmons soon.
  • Steelers might trade for Juju.
I'd definitely be ok with signing Simmons, and I think the possibility of a trade for Juju is less than 1%.

More rumors coming out today:
  • Steelers to sign Justin Simmons soon.
  • Steelers might trade for Juju.
I'd definitely be ok with signing Simmons, and I think the possibility of a trade for Juju is less than 1%.
Would love Simmons. Only want JuJu if it a for a late round pick swap and the Patriots pay part/most of his salary.

Participated in a mock on another site with 31 other jerks that I finished up with today. Results...

1- OT Amarius Mims
2 - OC Josh Frazier
3 - WR Ja'Lynn Polk
3 - DL Maason Smith
4 - DB Kris Abrams-Draine
6 - DB Jarvis Brownlee
6 - LB Edefuan Ulofoshio
OT then center then WR then DL or LB feels like the best value recently. If the rumors about Becton are true, that could flip the draft on its head (if he's healthy).

Participated in a mock on another site with 31 other jerks that I finished up with today. Results...

1- OT Amarius Mims
2 - OC Josh Frazier
3 - WR Ja'Lynn Polk
3 - DL Maason Smith
4 - DB Kris Abrams-Draine
6 - DB Jarvis Brownlee
6 - LB Edefuan Ulofoshio
OT then center then WR then DL or LB feels like the best value recently. If the rumors about Becton are true, that could flip the draft on its head (if he's healthy).

Yeah, possibly.

I can see a world where they'd still go after OT early though. Interest in Becton could have as much to do with Dan Moore sucking as a swing tackle (since he cant really be depended on to play LT) as it does with them needing a legit starting RT (cuz he also sucks at that).

Teams really need three "quality" tackles. We know Dan Moore isnt one. They may just be ready to move on from him totally.

Last edited:

I really hope they extend him. Give him a 2-3 year deal with $25MM guaranteed.

I really hope they extend him. Give him a 2-3 year deal with $25MM guaranteed.
If it's a typical Steelers' contract it will have an out after 1-2 years to limit our liability.

JPJ visiting today.

Also, they can't draft him because then when someone says JPJ we won't know which one they're talking about.

JPJ visiting today.

Also, they can't draft him because then when someone says JPJ we won't know which one they're talking about.
He'll make a great 2nd round pick. 🤞
You think he will be there at 51 or they will need to trade up?
I think 1 of the 3 centers will make it there. I'd bet heavily that it's a tackle in round 1 unless they're all gone. And only way they trade up is if there's concern about getting 1 of the 3 centers where they are in the 2nd.

Reading tea leaves, (Pro day and top 30 visits) Mims or Wiggins appear to be the Steelers' top targets at 1:20
I really like both. Mims scares me more with his lack of experience, but the little he did play RT is impressive. Wiggins speed and skills are ridiculous. Paired with Porter, the defense is looking very very strong.

For these drafts, assumed Steelers sign a safety in FA. Draft focus is to lock in a corner and focus on youth to help Arthur Smith restructure the offense.

With that in mind dabbled with Walkthemock draft starting Wiggins vs Mims. Both are available at 20 consistently.
PickPlayerPosCollege
1:20Nate WigginsCBClemson
2:19Xavier LegetteWRSouth Carolina
3:20Sedrick Van PranIOLGeorgia
3:34Brenden RiceWRUSC
4:19Roger RosengartenOTWashington
6:2Logan LeeDLIowa
6:19Dillon JohnsonRBWashington

Traded a 6th to move up 9 spots for Rice in the 4th. Felt like he was far better than anyone else in this range & would be gone before our pick.
PickPlayerPosCollege
1:20Amarius MimsOTGeorgia
2:19Xavier LegetteWRSouth Carolina
3:20Sedrick Van PranIOLGeorgia
3:34Khyree JacksonCBOregon
4:10Brenden RiceWRUSC
6:2Jaden CrumedyDLMississippi St.
AcquiredViaTraded Away
4:10LAC4:19, 6:19

Reading tea leaves, (Pro day and top 30 visits) Mims or Wiggins appear to be the Steelers' top targets at 1:20
I really like both. Mims scares me more with his lack of experience, but the little he did play RT is impressive. Wiggins speed and skills are ridiculous. Paired with Porter, the defense is looking very very strong.
I think the current order of 1st round picks if available are:
  1. Terrion Arnold
  2. Amarius Mims
  3. Nate Wiggins
  4. JC Latham
  5. Troy Fautanu
  6. Jackson Powers Johnson
This is assuming someone from the top 10 doesn't fall to us, like Bowers or Dallas Turner, and is mostly based on Pro-Day visits and top 30 visits with emphasis on pro-days attended by HC & GM.

1. Terrion Arnold
  2. Amarius Mims
  3. Nate Wiggins
  4. JC Latham
  5. Troy Fautanu
This is assuming someone from the top 10 doesn't fall to us, like Bowers or Dallas Turner, and is mostly based on Pro-Day visits and top 30 visits with emphasis on pro-days attended by HC & GM.
Oddly, Tomin and Khan only attended 4 pro days this year: Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Clemson.

1. Terrion Arnold
  2. Amarius Mims
  3. Nate Wiggins
  4. JC Latham
  5. Troy Fautanu
Oddly, Tomin and Khan only attended 4 pro days this year: Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Clemson.
That's the main reason I don't have Fautanu and JPJ higher. Also, glad to see we brought in Fisher for a visit, think he's solid if we don't go OT in the 1st and wait til the 3rd or 4th.

The first thought that came to my mind after reading this article about Darnell Washington was Ladarius Green whose career was cut short due to injuries. Darnell could end up the guy who we have a lot of faith in whose body breaks down. The guy is huge the fact that he didn't play more last year still raises major red flags for me. Then there's the talks that he could be an excellent offensive tackle on the team if he made the move.

JPJ visiting today.

He'll make a great 2nd round pick. 🤞
You think he will be there at 51 or they will need to trade up?
I think 1 of the 3 centers will make it there. I'd bet heavily that it's a tackle in round 1 unless they're all gone. And only way they trade up is if there's concern about getting 1 of the 3 centers where they are in the 2nd.
Dulac thinks there may be concern about 1 of the 3 being there at 51.

Gerry Dulac: I think it's more likely they trade up in the second round if they haven't used their No. 1 pick on a center
Jim_Bow_Dean: Is it possible for them to get a top Tackle and Center in this draft?
Gerry Dulac: Sure. But only if they make a trade to move up
Jake in Colorado: Gerry - thanks for all you do. What are your thoughts on what the Steelers will do at center? Clearly they have to address it somehow but it seems like they may want someone else at 20 and that the top centers will be gone by their 2d round pick. Is the georgia center good enough to plug and play?
Gerry Dulac: Jake, they HAVE to. Which is why I said if they don't think any center had a No. 20 grade on them, they will have to trade up in the second round to get one of the three they like.

Also read that Mims stock might be falling so maybe they could go JPJ in the 1st (but centers "never go that high"...cough cough Pouncey) and Mims in the 2nd if he were to fall.

Users who are viewing this thread