What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Philadelphia Eagles - 30 years ago, from the makers of V.I. Warshawski (6 Viewers)

Step 1- Fire Everybody
Step 2- Hmmmmmm, maybe we better not fire everyone just yet

I'm not sure I have seen a collapse quite like the Eagles from 10-1
Was it a mirage thru 11 weeks, what was going well that produced those wins?
Miami played you all this season and they crumbled in the 2nd Half but I thought we were good enough to be on the field with you guys.

I would allow the HC a Year 3 since he did make the Super Bowl and had them 10-1 but I would revamp the assistants, pretty sure you all lost a couple and a slew of players last off season, maybe expectations were too high this year.

You all have one of the better GMs in the NFL, that's a huge advantage in figuring out the problems and addressing them.
That's the baffling part. It wasn't a mirage. You don't accidentally beat Miami, Dallas, KC and Buffalo all in a row, 3 of them with comebacks. Yea they had flaws we all saw but fixable flaws. They showed incredible grit to keep fighting through all that though.

Then the niners game just took their mojo. They never got it back. They were a completely different team after that. Never seen it before. Similar thing happened to the Jags it looked like from afar. I don't know how you keep the coaches when it looked like they and the players all quit when they knew the super bowl dream was over.
I think it was the Sea game which broke folks

On 10/22/23 I sent a text that said "Hurts just came out of the half with a knee brace on I think". Didnt realize until today that they didnt call a single QB run yesterday and thought he looks SO SLOW last night. I fully expect to hear he's having surgery soon.
Absolutely. Within the next month there will be reporting that he had some kind of cleanup surgery. And FWIW, they didn't call any QB runs, but they ALSO didn't call many RB runs. What did Swift have, 5 carries in the first half? Then they ran it a bunch when the game was out of hand. It felt to me at the time that they were almost 'stat padding' to be able to say they ran the ball. ugh.

Reactions: JAA
On 10/22/23 I sent a text that said "Hurts just came out of the half with a knee brace on I think". Didnt realize until today that they didnt call a single QB run yesterday and thought he looks SO SLOW last night. I fully expect to hear he's having surgery soon.
Absolutely. Within the next month there will be reporting that he had some kind of cleanup surgery. And FWIW, they didn't call any QB runs, but they ALSO didn't call many RB runs. What did Swift have, 5 carries in the first half? Then they ran it a bunch when the game was out of hand. It felt to me at the time that they were almost 'stat padding' to be able to say they ran the ball. ugh.
Not to mention like what did we even sign Penny for. I'm sure that guy hates the Eagles more than any of us right now.

Maybe I am not on the same bandwagon, but I feel like Nick needs to go. He took over play calling for the offense while the defense collapsed. This team had zero motivation and i look at that as a HC problem. Personally, I would love to have someone hard charging.. maybe Vrabel. BTW, this article fired me up: https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/...tice-habits-miami-heat-golden-state-warriors/. If we are lazy in practice, we are lazy in games. Practice as you play IMO.

Coordinators must go. Nick didn't hire the coordinators but surely didn't get the most out of them either. Whatever Jeff and Howie decide to do, I'm ok with.

With that said, Howie needs to take a look in the mirror. Signing old guys (again) to extensions didn't help out or work. Ignoring the S and LB positions again, did not work. These need to remedied immediately.

I expect a big FA/trade season from him.

I get the coordinators were bad, but just asking a logistics question. What kind of coordinators is Nick attracting 4 years (next year) into a 5 year deal after his team went off a cliff like an 18 wheeler.

Seems like an odd way to do business. If he stays, he should be extended. To allow the most leverage in funding co-ordinations in line with Nick’s wants or a new regime.
I agree with what the premise of your question is basically asking "Why would anyone"

Philly has a weird system where we don't let the HC hire the coordinators, where he kinda tells us what he wants to run and THEN we go find guys to fit that system or whatever.

I admit it sure as hell does not seem optimum, but it is what it is.

And if he is not extended any potential coordinator hired could be viewed as a potential HC replacement I guess.

I'm at the point where honestly I think a fresh reboot is required. Find a guy who LOVES Hurts and what he can bring. An offensive guru of sorts. There are guys out there.

Let me change my inquiry slightly - what is it that Eagles fans like and admire about Nick’s coaching?
He seemed to be a players coach that the players liked and played hard for. Until the SF game, he got them to buy in for 2.5 years. Then it just stopped.
I think people are weighing way too much into the SF game. They had the Seattle game for 59 minutes and the defense went completely inept against Locke on the 92-yard drive. I think that was more of the turning point.

The Eagles had a short week and came off of the Ot game against the Bills when facing SF who had 13 days of rest. So I wouldn’t overthink that one with the gauntlet of KC, Dallas, and Miami before them (Washington sandwiched in there and for whatever reason always plays the Eagles tough)

I can't remember such a complete and utter collapse by a team. By the end of the season, there were probably only a very small handful of teams I actually thought they could/should beat.
I held out hope they could win against TB, they were probably the best matchup. Deep down though, I thought Tampa would do whatever they wanted on offense. My only hope was that the offense could win a shoot out.
My fear is that the nfl finally figured Hurts out. The RPO worked last year, but now there is film out there and defenses know how to stop it.
My fear is that, except for Jalen Carter, the defensive line just isn't that good. They hit the wall in November and never recovered. Jordan Davis seems lazy and unmotivated.
My fear is that the offensive line is going to fall apart with Kelce gone. Dude was the glue that held them together.
My fear is that Siranni just caught lightning in a bottle last year and just isn't a great coach. His in game adjustments are nonexistent.
Hard to argue some of these. I’ll argue the DL though. I think they were #1 against the run for the first 11 games of the season and the DL was clicking (not as great as last year but not as atrocious as the end of the season).

Reactions: JAA
After sleeping on it, I want Nick gone but won't be devastated if he stays.

But I want Vrabel. He's the perfect fit. Fix the F'n defense. Hire an OC with experience, maybe a failed HC like Reich, Staley, etc.

Or hell, give me Harbaugh and then bring in Wink or another experienced DC to completely take it over and revamp our defense.

And this "Epic collapse" narrative is getting old and fast. Me and a few others highlighted how fortunate this team was early on. This team NEVER passed the eye test beginning in week 1! Week after week we were all "waiting for it to click" and it never did. I expect the inflated view of what they were from people who don't watch them. If you watched every game you knew they werent as good as national people made them out to be or what their record said.
Sure, but they still collapsed. We literally played Tampa Bay this year earlier and it looked like a completely different team we fielded. Everyone agreed and knew there were issues - but it was still an epic collapse. The team we watched early in season doesn't lose by 20 points to Tampa Bay.

I think Nick's fate is going to be determined by 1 question to 1 player - do you have faith in his vision for the offense and does it align with what you think are your strengths?

But I want Vrabel. He's the perfect fit. Fix the F'n defense. Hire an OC with experience, maybe a failed HC like Reich, Staley, etc.

Or hell, give me Harbaugh and then bring in Wink or another experienced DC to completely take it over and revamp our defense.
Still can't believe TEN was dumb enough to fire Vrabel. IMO, he's the best candidate out there.

I'm curious about how most of us feel about the type of new coach we think would be best. A defensive minded guy like Vrabel because the D is such a mess and probably needs a big influx of new players? Or an offensive minded guy because offense in the NFL is more important than the D?

I'm curious about how most of us feel about the type of new coach we think would be best. A defensive minded guy like Vrabel because the D is such a mess and probably needs a big influx of new players? Or an offensive minded guy because offense in the NFL is more important than the D?
No, we need an offensive coach...just not one like Siraini who apparently is bad at it.

on Sirianni, looking at 2023 he was fine with Steichen and Gannon. so we could say he wasn't the one who got us to the SB, it was the coordinators. or, optimistically, we can also say he can find two new coordinators who are better than the ones we have now and be just fine. can he be like Doug P or is he Frank R?

Ya I think I'd want an offensive coach (innovative), with a really strong re-tread DC (Wink, Rivera, Etc).

However, Vrabel is too good of a coach and would be the exception, and I'd be on board with this hire.

Also we're realistically tied to Jalen for the next 3 years at least. We definitely should have held off, franchised him, and waited to make sure he could string a few good seasons together. He did show improvement, and I think with a good play caller/designer he could be good...but I'm less sure of it then I was three months ago.

on Sirianni, looking at 2023 he was fine with Steichen and Gannon. so we could say he wasn't the one who got us to the SB, it was the coordinators. or, optimistically, we can also say he can find two new coordinators who are better than the ones we have now and be just fine. can he be like Doug P or is he Frank R?
He's too young/inexperienced to flourish without great coordinators. IF he can find 2 great ones, sure, keep him. But I don't have much faith in him doing that. A new coach like Vrabel or Harbaugh I think would have no problem attracting great coordinators.

Also we're realistically tied to Jalen for the next 3 years at least. We definitely should have held off, franchised him, and waited to make sure he could string a few good seasons together. He did show improvement, and I think with a good play caller/designer he could be good...but I'm less sure of it then I was three months ago.
Meh, I'm really not in the camp of "oh it was such a mistake what we paid him". Hindsight is easy... at the time, he was EASILY worth that. Even halfway through this season when he was struggling, he was still likely worth that. We took a chance, and it didn't totally bite us in the ***... we structured his deal so well that I think it was still better than had we franchised him.

QB's are just going to keep getting paid more and more ridiculous numbers. Soon enough he will be a middle of the pack paid NFL QB.

Really crappy ending to a season where we end up not doing one thing well. Among all the things we do badly this is what makes me the most angry.
The coaches stubborn refusal to never go run heavy even with aj brown not playing and hurts having a broken finger was criminal.

And this "Epic collapse" narrative is getting old and fast. Me and a few others highlighted how fortunate this team was early on. This team NEVER passed the eye test beginning in week 1! Week after week we were all "waiting for it to click" and it never did. I expect the inflated view of what they were from people who don't watch them. If you watched every game you knew they werent as good as national people made them out to be or what their record said.
Sure, but they still collapsed. We literally played Tampa Bay this year earlier and it looked like a completely different team we fielded. Everyone agreed and knew there were issues - but it was still an epic collapse. The team we watched early in season doesn't lose by 20 points to Tampa Bay.
I don’t think an epic collapse is when we can see coming.

The 2023 book has been closed and when you go back to the beginning the signs were glaring. At the time we thought we were out of synch but this is who we were. The offense and defense were underperforming starting week 1 and as teams adjusted it got worse and worse.

When Mac Jones and Sam Howell are carving you up it’s only a matter of time before the good teams figure you out. We were blinded by their record and not by what we saw from the very first game.

The only issue I have with this, is the second you get that offense rolling they’re gone. Unless one of these guys is a lifer OC it’s just to hard to maintain.

Just listened to Eskin and said that Lurie is not a fan of Belichick and wouldn’t even interview him.

We seem to really be chasing and looking for an innovative offensive play caller. If that’s what they want there’s quite a few out there now you could get if they’d be interested in the job. I think this team really wants a head coach that’s going to call plays.

The only issue I have with this, is the second you get that offense rolling they’re gone. Unless one of these guys is a lifer OC it’s just to hard to maintain.

Just listened to Eskin and said that Lurie is not a fan of Belichick and wouldn’t even interview him.

We seem to really be chasing and looking for an innovative offensive play caller. If that’s what they want there’s quite a few out there now you could get if they’d be interested in the job. I think this team really wants a head coach that’s going to call plays.

Lions OC
I would be cool with Vrabel though and him finding a good oc

Really crappy ending to a season where we end up not doing one thing well. Among all the things we do badly this is what makes me the most angry.
The coaches stubborn refusal to never go run heavy even with aj brown not playing and hurts having a broken finger was criminal.
Not making excuses, but the Bucs deployed specific 6 man run heavy fronts to get Philly out of their run game. They were daring Hurts to throw.

Lions OC
Or Bobby Slowik

It won’t be popular to say but all things considered (injury and horrible coaching) Hurts played better than expected.

This isn’t the same player we saw this year. Just look at how much faster he looks in these. We have to have that part of his game back.

Not making excuses, but the Bucs deployed specific 6 man run heavy fronts to get Philly out of their run game. They were daring Hurts to throw.
I swear it was the same defensive gameplan from the 2021 playoffs. I don’t think Bowles respects Hurts at all.

Lions OC
Or Bobby Slowik
Some info on Slowik.

Lions OC
Or Bobby Slowik
Some info on Slowik.

Slowik may be the hottest candidate in all of coaching.

He's everyone's current darling.

Lions OC
Or Bobby Slowik
Some info on Slowik.

Yeah you’d think him and Ben Johnson would be the top offensive guys. I like Slowik’s background more but hard to argue with Johnson’s success as well.

I swear it was the same defensive gameplan from the 2021 playoffs. I don’t think Bowles respects Hurts at all.
It’s what teams do to running QB’s. Look at Lamar in the playoffs. They just make you beat them throwing. With Hurts being unable to run and our OC limiting the field for throws it was probably easier this year than in 21

Lions OC
Or Bobby Slowik
Some info on Slowik.

Yeah you’d think him and Ben Johnson would be the top offensive guys. I like Slowik’s background more but hard to argue with Johnson’s success as well.

Yes. Slowik and Johnson are easily the top 2 guys among the snarky, "offense is everything" crowd. Of which I'm in.

Lions OC
Or Bobby Slowik
Some info on Slowik.

Yes. Slowik and Johnson are easily the top 2 guys among the snarky, "offense is everything" crowd. Of which I'm in.
I’m in the same crowd and I think Jeff Lurie and Howie are as well. They’ve been after this type of guy since Reid left.

Lions OC
Or Bobby Slowik
Some info on Slowik.

I like it

Maybe I'm just not able to think of one, but I don't think the "Give the coach one more year to try to turn things around" after a disastrous season has ever seen that coach turn things around enough to win (or make a serious run at) a SB.
The issue is, who wants to work for an owner/GM who has no patience? Like Tepper? They are career ruiners.

Regarding Siriani, I never would have expected or thought he'd get fired after the start to the season. But, this collapse that the Eagles had is historically bad. Super Bowl, regular season record... ok, sure. And I know you can't make rash decisions based on emotion.

BUT, his Coordinators were awful. Not just awful, but absolute bottom of the barrel, unforgivably awful. And we saw the same issues trotted out for the past 7 weeks, with ZERO adjustments made. And the team play reflected that. All of the Coordinators and position coaches need to go- every single player on the team regressed this year. That was his staff, and if Nick's an Offensive mind, and BJ has been in his system for 3 years, a huge part of the blame falls on him. Whoever was responsible for the craptastic playcalling.

I'm not saying that I feel like Nick needs to be fired, but at this point, I trust Lurie and Howie to make the right decisions. I won't be outraged if they do clean house entirely. They have to get all new Coordinators, anyway, so if Nick's not calling plays- why keep him, if there's any chance he has lost the locker room?
If the do fire, which I think is 0% chance, I will support Lurie and Roseman who brought me LII

You're missing the point. When you hear that a team loses both coordinators and it hasn't happened in 30 years, how do you process that info? Because it's reads like you think the transition should be smooth because one guy should be able to overcome the jobs of 8-10 coaches.

So if your belief is that losing both coordinators makes it difficult for a coach to succeed, and you think that Sirianni should not be fired, you must be keeping Johnson or Patricia/Desai, right?

2005 Patriots played in (and won) the previous SB then lost both coordinators. They started shaky, barely getting to 4-4 before getting things turned around and finishing the season winning 6 of their last 8 games, won the AFC East, won their WC round playoff game, then lost to the 13-3 Broncos, who went to the SB.

1995 49'ers played in (and won) the previous SB then lost both coordinators. They won the NFC West for the 4th consecutive year, had the best scoring offense, and best overall defense in the NFL, then lost in the divisional round.

Not expecting Sirianni to be Belichick or Seifert, but a coach worth keeping and giving another chance to should have at least been able to show some ability to contribute to avoiding the unmitigated disaster this season turned into, even if the things he tried would have been met with mixed success. What's the point of a head coach that can't at least reach that bar? He tried one thing (moving Patricia up) and it failed miserably.

Coordinators must go. Nick didn't hire the coordinators but surely didn't get the most out of them either. Whatever Jeff and Howie decide to do, I'm ok with.

With that said, Howie needs to take a look in the mirror. Signing old guys (again) to extensions didn't help out or work. Ignoring the S and LB positions again, did not work. These need to remedied immediately.

Name 1 big name linebacker Howie ever brought in. Unfortunately, in Howies Salary Cap world, which I subscribe to, LBs and RBs are after thoughts.

I get the coordinators were bad, but just asking a logistics question. What kind of coordinators is Nick attracting 4 years (next year) into a 5 year deal after his team went off a cliff like an 18 wheeler.

Seems like an odd way to do business. If he stays, he should be extended. To allow the most leverage in funding co-ordinations in line with Nick’s wants or a new regime.
I agree with what the premise of your question is basically asking "Why would anyone"

Philly has a weird system where we don't let the HC hire the coordinators, where he kinda tells us what he wants to run and THEN we go find guys to fit that system or whatever.

I admit it sure as hell does not seem optimum, but it is what it is.

And if he is not extended any potential coordinator hired could be viewed as a potential HC replacement I guess.

I'm at the point where honestly I think a fresh reboot is required. Find a guy who LOVES Hurts and what he can bring. An offensive guru of sorts. There are guys out there.

Let me change my inquiry slightly - what is it that Eagles fans like and admire about Nick’s coaching?
Last season

Maybe I'm just not able to think of one, but I don't think the "Give the coach one more year to try to turn things around" after a disastrous season has ever seen that coach turn things around enough to win (or make a serious run at) a SB.
The issue is, who wants to work for an owner/GM who has no patience? Like Tepper? They are career ruiners.
But the counter to that is we have way more examples of this not working (just happened with Staley and LAC this year), than examples (any?) where a coach on the hot seat came back and made a SB run, or won one. If you know you're in a situation that is 95%+ likely to fail, why not try and find another Andy Reid? There's only 32 HC jobs. There's far more that would jump at the chance to be one for Lurie or Tepper than would decline.

Staley for Offensive Coordinator?

Users who are viewing this thread