What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Philadelphia Eagles - Schedule time to clear your schedule for the scheduled unveiling of the 2024 schedule. (4 Viewers)

The Eagles will be interviewing one of their former players Mike Caldwell for their defensive coordinator job according to ESPN. He was let go by Doug Pederson and the Jaguars as their DC. 

Eagles also rewatched out to wink martindale

Wade Phillips was a terrible head coach but a great DC. Not saying Rivera will be the same but former HC returning to DC seems to work out more often than not.
He never lost the locker room, in either city. That says a lot.
For most of his Washington tenure I'd agree. But the team, most noticeably the defense, quit on the field during the latter part of this season. When a team quits playing hard, they're at least partly quitting on the coach. Nobody badmouthed him in public, he retained that much loyalty from players. But the play on the field is something he was responsible for, especially after firing del Rio and taking over coaching the defense by himself.
That true but if the HC is firing and taking over a coordinator position, the players usually checked out already. Happens to even the best of coaches. Andy and Doug both had similar endings here in Philly.

At the moment I see zero downside for someone like Rivera for our current situation. We need a veteran coach, who can assemble a staff and teach these young guys the right way on that side of the ball. I’m sure not being a HC will help him focus as a DC. He reads like a lot of the “failed” HC’s who could be good/great DC’s and stick around for years.
this...and TBH, I LOVE the idea of prior HC at coordinator. At least you know you'll keep them a few years. I tend to believe one reason it's so difficult for a team to stay at the top is the change of coordinators and schemes whenever they have success and their coaches get pilfered

Also - they may need to tell Sirianni he needs to be more involved in the offense and playcalling, and take responsibility. The "what does he even do" needs to go away - the "ceo" model fails far more then it works. Depends on who we get at OC, but unless we get someone that is unlikely to go get a HC job somewhere - tell Sirianni to be the guy, sink or swim.

Lots of good coordinators were not good as HC's - even in their "specialty". Dan Quinn's defenses were never great in Atlanta.

Thats because fans kind of do what you’re doing below. They assume cause the guy came form one side of the ball or the other that they do the same when HC. Like everyone would love Vrabel and he’s a “CEO” type too. Im really not sure why or when that type of coaching became like a curse word. It’s can definitely be effective. Even with that said, we appear to be the team that wants an innovative HC who’s calling plays so it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Also - they may need to tell Sirianni he needs to be more involved in the offense and playcalling, and take responsibility. The "what does he even do" needs to go away - the "ceo" model fails far more then it works. Depends on who we get at OC, but unless we get someone that is unlikely to go get a HC job somewhere - tell Sirianni to be the guy, sink or swim.

Lots of good coordinators were not good as HC's - even in their "specialty". Dan Quinn's defenses were never great in Atlanta.

Thats because fans kind of do what you’re doing below. They assume cause the guy came form one side of the ball or the other that they do the same when HC. Like everyone would love Vrabel and he’s a “CEO” type too. Im really not sure why or when that type of coaching became like a curse word. It’s can definitely be effective. Even with that said, we appear to be the team that wants an innovative HC who’s calling plays so it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Because not all coaches can do it. If you aren't really leading one side of the ball...then you need to be really good at setting the direction, culture, etc.. of the franchise. Obviously Harbaugh the classic example of that. But - who else has done it successfully? There's far more examples of successful coaches that really put their stamp on what the team does well. For every Harbaugh there's a dozen Sean Payton, Shanahan, McVay, Zac Taylor, LaFleur...

CEO coach is like game manager QB.

Who are the coaches in the league that do this along with Sirianni? I'm sure he isn't the only guy that is CEO Coach. Does Harbaugh call plays? Did Pete Carroll? Just genuinely curious about this.

Who are the coaches in the league that do this along with Sirianni? I'm sure he isn't the only guy that is CEO Coach. Does Harbaugh call plays? Did Pete Carroll? Just genuinely curious about this.
those two definitely. They do not call plays. I don't believe Belicheck called plays, did he?

Belichick
Tomlin
Gannon
Harbaugh
McDermott
Campbell
Ryans
Pierce
Saleh
Bowles?

99% sure that entire group don’t call plays and are “CEO” types.

HC’s need to be able to assist in all aspects of the game during the game. You’ll obviously see them helping a unit, coach or players in game. In addition, almost every coach you’d consider great is a CEO type.

This CEO term appears new and I’m not sure why it’s looked at as bad unless you have a specific preference.

Even Reid takes breaks in game from calling plays.

Belichick
Tomlin
Gannon
Harbaugh
McDermott
Campbell
Ryans
Pierce
Saleh
Bowles?

99% sure that entire group don’t call plays and are “CEO” types.

HC’s need to be able to assist in all aspects of the game during the game. You’ll obviously see them helping a unit, coach or players in game. In addition, almost every coach you’d consider great is a CEO type.
The greats like Shula, Parcells, Dungy, Cowher, Jimmy Johnson, Carroll etc didn’t call plays.

This CEO term appears new and I’m not sure why it’s looked at as bad unless you have a specific preference.

Got it. So I'm getting to a point here where the Q about Sirianni is "what does he even do" and it seems to be, naturally, a Philly-only phenomenon posing this question, considering the long long list of the other coaches mentioned where the same question could be asked.

So it seems, per D Gunn, that Brian Johnson is out. After Tennessee made a deal last night I guess Carolina and Atlanta aren't really options for him so, he gone.

Now please hire someone good. And I really don't want Frank Reich in all honesty.

So it seems, per D Gunn, that Brian Johnson is out. After Tennessee made a deal last night I guess Carolina and Atlanta aren't really options for him so, he gone.

Now please hire someone good. And I really don't want Frank Reich in all honesty.

I dont either. But anything is gonna be better than Johnson. He was god awful

I know Andy started allowing Doug to call plays in KC to help build his resume. Andy also scripted the first 10-20 plays for the game and didn’t deviate from that script till later on.

The term CEO coach is definately newer haven’t heard it much since this year

I dont either. But anything is gonna be better than Johnson. He was god awful
He was. And to play Devils Advocate about "what does Nick do"

This is the biggest mystery to me. If its his offense, and like, you got CMC calling out your plays on live TV, why didn't he like ya know, get BJ to at least try to improve/call better plays?

This is the biggest mystery to me. If its his offense, and like, you got CMC calling out your plays on live TV, why didn't he like ya know, get BJ to at least try to improve/call better plays?
I'm not sure this is that big a deal, to be honest.

When they had Mahomes on the Manning cast, he basically called every play Denver ran inside the red zone for a touchdown.

I think it just comes from familiarity and all the film these guys watched.

Not sure why we love our coaches who failed elsewhere. People on Reddit wanted Duce back.

I really like Slowack or whatever from Hou and I really want someone who’s gonna use more motion, get our top playmakers the ball either on jet touch or sweeps etc. more RPO and play action getting Hurts moving around outside the pocket etc. I just don’t see hurts being anything then other just in the top 10 of QBs in his career but he’s got athleticism And it needs to be on full display.

When they had Mahomes on the Manning cast, he basically called every play Denver ran inside the red zone for a touchdown.

I hear ya. If this were the *only* problem with Brian Johnson I'd let it slide. But there were....a myriad of issues with him being OC. From the collapse, not not having anything over the middle, to basically being that guy that just throws deep balls on Madden you play against all the way to the simplest s*** like not having answers for blitzes.

And my overarching point is, with how OBVIOUS the issues were on offense, why didn't Nick like, do anything to try to remedy, any of these key/main issues that seem like NFL Offense 101.

Staff members are upset about Brian Johnson being let go, says @JFowlerESPN.“There’s some weird vibes out of there. I just don’t know that everybody on the staff is happy about everything that’s gone down – especially with Brian Johnson who was sort of caught in the middle.”

whenever these coordinator and coach conversations come up i'm left wondering, there aren't 32 capable HC, OC and DC's in the world that half of them look at best pedestrian every year? with the kind of money NFL throws around, it's shocking they can't attract better minds. (censoring myself here for borderline political statements about the NFL). it's odd as an industry worth more than most.

whenever these coordinator and coach conversations come up i'm left wondering, there aren't 32 capable HC, OC and DC's in the world that half of them look at best pedestrian every year? with the kind of money NFL throws around, it's shocking they can't attract better minds. (censoring myself here for borderline political statements about the NFL). it's odd as an industry worth more than most.

cause its all scripted. like WWF

Staff members are upset about Brian Johnson being let go, says @JFowlerESPN.“There’s some weird vibes out of there. I just don’t know that everybody on the staff is happy about everything that’s gone down – especially with Brian Johnson who was sort of caught in the middle.”
It’s so predictable.
Which part, the non stop drama or the fact that someone is reporting there is drama lol

If this is real and real coaches are upset BJ got fired, I say fire them too

It’s so predictable.
Which part, the non stop drama or the fact that someone is reporting there is drama lol

If this is real and real coaches are upset BJ got fired, I say fire them too

It was only a matter of time before they made him a victim. You could see this coming a mile away. If he didn’t get an interview no sources would be upset.

The narrative for the next year will be all about evil Nick and unapproachable Jalen. Gotta get the clicks.

Are we doing this all over again?

REPORT: Sources close to and around the team say Jalen Hurts should have been a better leader this season and at times was described as “detached”, “stoic”, “isolated”, and “unapproachable”, says @JSantoliquito of @BleedingGreen.

A source on the Eagles described Jalen Hurts as a “good dude” who sometimes doesn’t realize when he’s acting like a prime-donna “expletive” [jerk]. Multiple sources close to and inside the Eagles confirmed this.

This is now multiple different reports coming out about Jalen Hurts leadership.

If this were the case, how would you explain 2022 when the Eagles dominated the season and lost by a bad call in the Super Bowl?
Wentz has a great year too once 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think Wentz could have been a great one but he played like a maniac and the injuries just wrecked him. The Goff/Wentz debates brings back memories. I guess the Rams made the right choice after all.
His ego wrecked him IMO

Got it. So I'm getting to a point here where the Q about Sirianni is "what does he even do" and it seems to be, naturally, a Philly-only phenomenon posing this question, considering the long long list of the other coaches mentioned where the same question could be asked.
Yea - not directed at you but i dont get the "What does he do?" "What does he do?" is get us into the playoffs and the Super Bowl. He did it. No one else was in charge, Nick was. If folks want to make the losing his fault, ya got to make the winning his doing also.

Yup this is correct. I forget the podcast, might have been Chris long’s, but he basically said it was obvious because of the personnel and who they lined up. He explained it much better than I am

The #Eagles are set to receive 4 compensatory picks in the 2024 NFL Draft:

- 3rd round pick (Javon Hargrave)
- 5th round pick (Issac Seumalo)
- 5th round pick (Andre Dillard)
- 5th round pick (TJ Edwards)

That’s the most in the NFL.

Yea - not directed at you but i dont get the "What does he do?" "What does he do?" is get us into the playoffs and the Super Bowl. He did it. No one else was in charge, Nick was. If folks want to make the losing his fault, ya got to make the winning his doing also.
Agree 100%. He's a leader, he has a style. Seems like the players by all accounts like him and well, if he is here to stay, we gotta learn to a degree to at least have some patience and hope he learns/adapts and changes things.

And can we, for the love of God, stop comparing him to Andy Reid, who has been coaching in the NFL since.....1992 or when Nick Sirianni was 11 years old.

And can we, for the love of God, stop comparing him to Andy Reid, who has been coaching in the NFL since.....1992 or when Nick Sirianni was 11 years old.
Yeah that’s just crazy. On top of being one of the best HC’s the game has seen he’s an incredible play caller, QB developer and coach evaluator. Hes one of the best in the game for a variety of reasons and they’re not a dime a dozen

10 total draft picks including 4 in the first 110 picks or so. Not too bad!

Fowler

Former #Commanders head coach Ron Rivera is interviewing with the #Eagles for their defensive coordinator position, per sources. The last time Rivera was a DC, his 2010 Chargers led the league in total defense.

10 total draft picks including 4 in the first 110 picks or so. Not too bad!

And just think all the picks we will get for hurts!

GNHeoQEI_x96.jpg

Honest NFL

@TheHonestNFL

I think it sucks that Brian Johnson was the scapegoat for an offense that he very clearly was not the father of, but if this is what it takes to kill Sirianni’s system once and for all, then so be it. BJ is going to get a chance to actually be an OC eventually instead of just the figurative head of the operation for broadcasts and pressers. It’s hard to be a first-year play caller for an offense that makes pre-snap checks & adjustments at one of the lowest rates in the league. The thing that makes Andy Reid a special play caller is that once the huddle is broken, the QB becomes the play caller and has a wide variety of checks to attack or combat whatever the defense presents. There are no wasted snaps. The Eagles offense had much bigger problems than Brian Johnson, but Sirianni just sacrificed him to the football gods for his own system’s failures.

Fowler

Former #Commanders head coach Ron Rivera is interviewing with the #Eagles for their defensive coordinator position, per sources. The last time Rivera was a DC, his 2010 Chargers led the league in total defense.
You’ve been late with these updates man. Get it together lol
I’m at work
Since yesterday?
Been busy with some personal stuff too
Ok, you’re excused, but you can’t use the same excuses for at least a year.

Fowler

The last time Rivera ran a defense was the last 5 games of this last WAS season, after he fired Del RIo after Thanksgiving. His Defense gave up 45, 28, 30, 27, and 38 points. The team went 0-5. Nothing would make me happier to see him running PHI's D. They'd give up 50+ a game

Fowler

You’ve been late with these updates man. Get it together lol
I’m at work

In all fairness it would be nice if you looked back to see if anyone else has posted the same thing. I know it's going to happen every now and then. But you seem to repeat a lot of what has already been posted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread