What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - Brock party (2 Viewers)

Saw it on X , have no idea if its been verified or not
Ok yeah I didn't think it would be verified, just wondered who it was. Some people have really good info/algorithms that are close but some just throw **** against the wall to see what sticks.

What if Daniels pulls an “Elway/Eli” and refuses to play for anyone but the Raiders and forces a trade?
I know it’s a pipe dream, but crazy things sometimes happen. And there’s really nothing else to talk about right now.

Wonder if he isn't waiting out the draft and even some of training camp to better evaluate that team or situation he wants to place himself in

I’ve seen a couple of mocks where the raiders take Penix at 13.
If they like what they see and believe in him, I would be ecstatic with finally taking a stab at our first, young franchise QB in ages.

If it’s a whiff, at least they went for it.
See the Texans for how quickly a team can turn it around if they hit on a young QB.

ETA: wrote “15” instead of pick “13”

Last edited:
I've come around to the idea of taking Penix at 13 if

a. The current Raiders brass, particularly coach AP believe in him, and
b. They have intel that a trade down would materially risk not getting him.

The more I've watched him, the more glimpses I've seen of a lefty CJ Stroud.

Don't force it though if you don't see it, Raiders.

Shoot, they might have to jump Minnesota and Denver to get him now. A couple months ago it was conceivable to get a RT at 13 then possibly trade back into the back half of the 1st to get him. He won’t be there now after the offseason he’s been having IMO.

Shoot, they might have to jump Minnesota and Denver to get him now. A couple months ago it was conceivable to get a RT at 13 then possibly trade back into the back half of the 1st to get him. He won’t be there now after the offseason he’s been having IMO.
So much is made leading up to the drafts that teams will pump up QB's when they don't need a QB hoping a QB hungry team reaches for one or makes a trade with them to reach for one. I am not going to say Penix is not worth a 13 spot selection or a 3rd round... I don't know. I haven't even read up on the QB class let alone watched them play but what I do know is that this period in the off season is all about deception, misinformation and trying to play with a poker face.

So much is made leading up to the drafts that teams will pump up QB's when they don't need a QB hoping a QB hungry team reaches for one or makes a trade with them to reach for one. I am not going to say Penix is not worth a 13 spot selection or a 3rd round... I don't know. I haven't even read up on the QB class let alone watched them play but what I do know is that this period in the off season is all about deception, misinformation and trying to play with a poker face.
He’s got the best arm in the draft class, he’ll get over drafted by someone who’s desperate for a QB. If it weren’t for the injuries, he’d be top 3. Can’t wait to see how it all unfolds.

The draft is a month away still. 6 QBs gonna be mocked in front of us by then!! :rant:

This whole Penix thing is really jumping off because of good 40 time. This feels a bit more like hype I'm more wary of than the McCarthy hype, which feels more real, and more like media catching up

The draft is a month away still. 6 QBs gonna be mocked in front of us by then!! :rant:

This whole Penix thing is really jumping off because of good 40 time. This feels a bit more like hype I'm more wary of than the McCarthy hype, which feels more real, and more like media catching up
Yup, people were going nuts because he had a real good 40 time. He's a pocket passer and he doesn't run though so I don't really care what his 40 time was. And what QB has had a bad pro day? They all get hyped after their pro day cause almost all of them look great at their pro day.

Yup, people were going nuts because he had a real good 40 time. He's a pocket passer and he doesn't run though so I don't really care what his 40 time was. And what QB has had a bad pro day? They all get hyped after their pro day cause almost all of them look great at their pro day.
Penix hasn't really needed to run in the Washington offense. He was shredding defenses with his arm and a group of receivers that all may be drafted. If you watched the Texas game you would have seen his capability to run (3-31). But even better, you would have seen his great ability to move in the pocket. Penix has more than enough agility for the NFL game.

Penix hasn't really needed to run in the Washington offense. He was shredding defenses with his arm and a group of receivers that all may be drafted. If you watched the Texas game you would have seen his capability to run (3-31). But even better, you would have seen his great ability to move in the pocket. Penix has more than enough agility for the NFL game.
I don't doubt his ability to move in the pocket. I don't think his 40 times matters all that much and his 40 time would have done nothing to make me like him more or less. I saw the Texas game and probably 5-6 others this year as well as games from prior years and games when he was at Indiana. I never thought to myself "this guy is going to be a great NFL QB." Maybe I'm wrong. I'd be fine taking him in the second round or later and finding out. Too many really good players (OL, CB, DL) will be there at 13 with 4 QBs and 3 WRs being picked before that for me to be on board with taking him at 13. I think his bust potential is extremely high.

For any of you following the mock draft thread, I am running the Raiders' war room and took a shot earlier today to try to trade for the Chargers #5 pick to draft JJM. Unfortunately, I was beat out by the Vikings who sent the Chargers both their 1sts this year (1.11 and 1.23). :(

Here was my offer, with points based off a trade value chart that was linked in that thread...

LAC would get:

2024 1.13 - 1150 pts
2024 2.12 - 460
2025 3.xx - 179

LV would get:

2024 1.05 - 1700
2025 4.xx - 61

Basically, I offered this year's 2nd rounder, plus a 3rd/4th round pick swap next year. If the Raiders like McCarthy, I'd be ok if they made such a deal to get him. No bank breaking, but if a team is looking to trade down at a reasonable cost, let's go.
Fun exercise. But the dolts aren’t making a trade with the raiders.

For any of you following the mock draft thread, I am running the Raiders' war room and took a shot earlier today to try to trade for the Chargers #5 pick to draft JJM. Unfortunately, I was beat out by the Vikings who sent the Chargers both their 1sts this year (1.11 and 1.23). :(

Here was my offer, with points based off a trade value chart that was linked in that thread...

LAC would get:

2024 1.13 - 1150 pts
2024 2.12 - 460
2025 3.xx - 179

LV would get:

2024 1.05 - 1700
2025 4.xx - 61

Basically, I offered this year's 2nd rounder, plus a 3rd/4th round pick swap next year. If the Raiders like McCarthy, I'd be ok if they made such a deal to get him. No bank breaking, but if a team is looking to trade down at a reasonable cost, let's go.
Fun exercise. But the dolts aren’t making a trade with the raiders.

I could see the Chargers making this trade if it was the best offer they got. But I have been hearing more speculation that QBs might go with the first 4 picks, with whoever wants QB4 trading up with the Cardinals rather than the Chargers.

So curious to see what this Raiders draft looks like with coach AP the alpha voice in the building and room. IMO, Telesco is lead scout overall, and primary picker in the late rounds: while, like Gruden, AP will mostly steer the ship in the early rounds. Gruden is firmly established a terrible scout/drafter. But that doesn't mean AP is as well.

So curious to see what this Raiders draft looks like with coach AP the alpha voice in the building and room. IMO, Telesco is lead scout overall, and primary picker in the late rounds: while, like Gruden, AP will mostly steer the ship in the early rounds. Gruden is firmly established a terrible scout/drafter. But that doesn't mean AP is as well.
I’m hoping for a collaboration. With, if not a consensus, at least a majority on what to do with the 1st few picks. They’ve put a lot of people in the room with a lot of experience. Lean into that

This will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If AP gets veto power over these picks that could turn out to be just as bad as the Gruden hire. But no way to tell until it plays out obviously.

This will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If AP gets veto power over these picks that could turn out to be just as bad as the Gruden hire. But no way to tell until it plays out obviously.
All we have is AP`s acquisition of Jack Jones and the FA pickups , based on what ive seen so far i like the odds of them making some stellar decisions

Didn't they say Telesco has final say on the roster? I'm sure AP will have strong opinions on who should be taken and they will be considered, but if they wanted AP to have final say on any of the picks I don't think they hire Telesco and would have stuck with Champ as the GM. Gruden was a super bowl winning coach with immense clout within the organization. AP is starting his first full year as a HC.

Didn't they say Telesco has final say on the roster? I'm sure AP will have strong opinions on who should be taken and they will be considered, but if they wanted AP to have final say on any of the picks I don't think they hire Telesco and would have stuck with Champ as the GM. Gruden was a super bowl winning coach with immense clout within the organization. AP is starting his first full year as a HC.
If they give up the farm for Jayden Daniels then we’ll know for sure how much clout AP has with the organization, which would be a lot.
If they stay at 13, play it conservatively, draft a RT, most likely that’ll be Telesco doing his thing like in years past.
That pick will speak volumes as to who’s running the show.

Based on how he has surrounded himself with mentors, and guys who have been there before, I suspect he will change the philosophy on how a decision is made, but doesn't (want to) hold the final say. He's proven in his actions that he fights for what he believes in (Jones for example), but that doesn't mean he's a great scout or able to measure talent. He went to the table to fight for an individual he has personally known for years.

I do agree with Bruno2 - if they go and get Jayden, then that action would outweigh my assumptions today.

Based on how he has surrounded himself with mentors, and guys who have been there before, I suspect he will change the philosophy on how a decision is made, but doesn't (want to) hold the final say
Yeah, we have no evidence he's looking to overrule the GM, why would we assume that?

Because other coaches have?

I don't see it that way...

Just look at what AP did and has done. As an interim HC he went out and tapped into Coughlin, Lewis and Gase.

“Their knowledge and wisdom is beyond anything I can ever try to mimic, make up, have in the building,” Pierce said. “They’ve seen it, they’ve done it, they’ve built programs and organizations from the ground up. They turned bad organizations into really good ones and ones that have been winning programs, so why not learn from them? I’d be a fool not to use my resources.”

Building his coaching staff, hired Lewis as Assistant Head Coach, Joe Philbin as Senior Offensive Assistant, and almost Kliff Kingsbury as OC until he was poached by the Redskins. Lewis and Philbin were clearly added for their HC experience and for AP to tap into that as those positions basically are "we want you on the staff- we will figure out a title for you." and seeking to bring Kingsbury on as an ex-HC himself shows not desire to shy away from a collaborating type of engagement.

All of this is strong evidence that AP doesn't have an ego that makes him have to be the one making the decisions. As the HC, he will but he has shown every step of the way his desire to seek out those with a voice that he can tap into. Also, keep in mind, that he was in on the last interviews for GM. I don't see any reason to believe that he will all of a sudden run over others in the room to what he thinks. As the HC, obviously his voice will be a significant one but I think he wants to work with the staff- coaches and front office, to come to these decisions together.

Just look at what AP did and has done. As an interim HC he went out and tapped into Coughlin, Lewis and Gase.

“Their knowledge and wisdom is beyond anything I can ever try to mimic, make up, have in the building,” Pierce said. “They’ve seen it, they’ve done it, they’ve built programs and organizations from the ground up. They turned bad organizations into really good ones and ones that have been winning programs, so why not learn from them? I’d be a fool not to use my resources.”

Building his coaching staff, hired Lewis as Assistant Head Coach, Joe Philbin as Senior Offensive Assistant, and almost Kliff Kingsbury as OC until he was poached by the Redskins. Lewis and Philbin were clearly added for their HC experience and for AP to tap into that as those positions basically are "we want you on the staff- we will figure out a title for you." and seeking to bring Kingsbury on as an ex-HC himself shows not desire to shy away from a collaborating type of engagement.

All of this is strong evidence that AP doesn't have an ego that makes him have to be the one making the decisions. As the HC, he will but he has shown every step of the way his desire to seek out those with a voice that he can tap into. Also, keep in mind, that he was in on the last interviews for GM. I don't see any reason to believe that he will all of a sudden run over others in the room to what he thinks. As the HC, obviously his voice will be a significant one but I think he wants to work with the staff- coaches and front office, to come to these decisions together.

I agree that AP will seek collaboration and consensus, but I also think he'll have by far the biggest voice and influence in the rooms where that consensus is formed.

I also think a lot of people like Jayden Daniels.

If the Raiders take him, I do not take this as a sign that AP isn't listening to Telesco.

Telesco is allowed to like Daniels also. I'd be a little concerned if Telesco DIDN'T want Daniels.

We have enough history to be miserable about. Let's not make up new ****.

I agree that AP will seek collaboration and consensus, but I also think he'll have by far the biggest voice and influence in the rooms where that consensus is formed.
Is there an NFL team that the HC doesn't have one of, if not, the largest voice and influence in the room? Even when a GM has the final say for roster positions- it is a very dysfunctional team that sidelines the HC.

Is there an NFL team that the HC doesn't have one of, if not, the largest voice and influence in the room? Even when a GM has the final say for roster positions- it is a very dysfunctional team that sidelines the HC.

Of course, but my point is that I think AP will have THE biggest voice/influence; and more broadly that I am intrigued and optimistic about having him in the room in that way.

Everyone is just guessing.

I don’t care who has final say or if it’s a true democracy. The results will speak for themselves.

Of course, but my point is that I think AP will have THE biggest voice/influence; and more broadly that I am intrigued and optimistic about having him in the room in that way.
AP was saying the guys they are targeting are Alpha males . and leaders who play all out and will compete hard for playing time . Does that fall in line with Telescos thinking? I have no idea but i hope so . Talent alone wont cut it with AP . I picture in my mind AP , Telesco, Champ, Marvin Lewis and Matt Sheldon , maybe a couple more guys , all sitting around a big conference table evaluating talent and bouncing all that experience off of each other , coming up with a great list of college players to go after . I dont see one guy overriding the majority consensus about one player or another. This will be a team effort and i believe it will show on draft day .

I dont see one guy overriding the majority consensus about one player or another. This will be a team effort and i believe it will show on draft day .

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting AP would make the picks on his own, but that he'd have (by far) the biggest voice/influence on the group as they attempt to form consensus.

I dont see one guy overriding the majority consensus about one player or another. This will be a team effort and i believe it will show on draft day .

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting AP would make the picks on his own, but that he'd have (by far) the biggest voice/influence on the group as they attempt to form consensus.
oh absolutely, his vision of the Raiders culture is the common goal IMO.

Everyone is just guessing.

I don’t care who has final say or if it’s a true democracy. The results will speak for themselves.

From the article:

It’s pretty uncommon to see a team hire a head coach before they have a general manager installed. It’s uncommon because the general manager is usually the one hiring the head coach, not the other way around.

But Mark Davis believes in Antonio Pierce so much that he decided to ink him to a new deal before deciding on a GM. The Raiders were able to accomplish that a few days later, but the order in which this was decided is interesting.

Does Pierce now have more organizational power than new GM Tom Telesco? That remains to be seen. But one thing that is clear is that Telesco will be the one making the decisions about the roster. Here is what Paul Gutierrez had to say about the Pierce-Telesco dynamic going into the offseason:

Raiders owner Mark Davis told ESPN that the general manager will have final say on all personnel decisions, and the biggest one is at quarterback, where rookie Aidan O’Connell was inconsistent after taking over for Jimmy Garoppolo midseason.
Pierce wants a franchise signal-caller, and he has a relationship with Heisman winner Jayden Daniels (LSU) from when they were both at Arizona State. But jumping from the No. 13 pick in the draft to No. 2 or No. 3 might be too rich for Telesco’s taste.
Telesco has a very mixed track record when it comes to drafting, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if he leaned on Pierce heavily to make decisions. The most important decision they need to make this offseason is at quarterback. How they handle that will tell us everything we need to know about how the pairing will work out in Las Vegas.

Users who are viewing this thread