What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - Brock party (4 Viewers)

I really don't get some of the AOC hate. Count me as someone who is good with giving him another year to see if he can build upon what he showed last year. He showed a lot more than just having a good arm. But I suppose beauty is in the eye.
There are two things at play I think. The first is largely that people expect rookies to light it up and if they don't then they suck. The average fan doesn't care about or maybe doesn't even understand athletic development and how big of a leap it is to go from college to play in the NFL. Yes, some guys come in as rookies and play amazingly well. Most do not. The second is that he isn't mobile. Being able to run is 'sexy' and yes, it does add an extra part to a QB's game to be an offensive weapon if they can run it absolutely is not critical for a good QB. Most running QB's end up hurt or hurt so much that they stop running as much as they did entering the league.

I am curious as to what Getsy will deploy with this offense. We have a top tier duo of WR's, a top tier duo of TE's, what should be a solid to good line (depending on how that RT spot plays out) and a few RB's that should be at least serviceable with upside for White if he continues his progression. Throw in a speedster and a proven though coming back from injury deep threat there are weapons for a QB who can be accurate and make good throws to have NFL success.

And as opposed to what we have had for the last couple of decades, we finally have a defense. That defense only got better from what we saw last year as all important pieces are still there and we added a legit threat at DT to add to it. I am betting we are shopping the current available CB's to add as well and if any of those top names play decently- Jones and Hobbs can hold their end. Then we will actually be winning some games with our defense.

But swinging back to AOC and the offense.... I don't know what we can expect from Getsy. He had Fields and that was up and down. Now, how much of that was about Fields development and lack of weapons and poor line play and how much of that is on Getsy? I don't know. Now I wish I paid more attention to those Bears games to have more insight. He played well for a QB that was a backup project that was not expected to actually play for the whole year, likely didn't get many snaps until "oh crap, Linguine arm sucks!" and then got tossed into the fire.... then, got a new OC mid season and had to work with that. That is a lot and with how well he played? There should be more hope for him than there is. But again, I think it is expectations of rookies and not being mobile so people poo on him.

I was ridiculed for saying they should go with O'Connell and maybe that is justified, but here we are. Minshew could beat him out, but maybe not.
IF AOC wins the job, the raiders coaching staff will be ridiculed if he doesn’t perform well. You’re not alone.

Just because they didn’t obtain a qb via the draft or trade or whatever doesn’t suddenly make any of us AOC converts. He’s still exactly what he was before, a middling, stone footed, slow processing, young qb, With a pretty good arm. Nice kid. Works hard. We’ll see.

I fully expect uncle Rico to win the job and to be the starter.
But what about the report that he would have been a top 10 pick this year based on what he showed last year?

He did reasonable well last year, but I still can't believe anyone can say that with a straight face.
AOC is a solid backup. He isn’t mobile at all but his biggest challenge last year was his processing speed. If that improves, he could be a solid starter in the NFL since he does have a great arm. The battle between AOC and Minshew for the starting QB position should be fun to watch. Unfortunately, LV is still stuck in the Carr tier of QB talent.
The game usually slows down for players entering their 2nd season.
He had the second best season last year behind CJ Stroud of all the rookie QB's starting last year.

So you’re telling me you’d rather have AOC over every other rookie qb from last year? 😂
Who said that? Please share whatever you're on.
:shrug:

I think there are also some unfair superficial things that I might even hold against AOC…he kinda looks like a gomer, a schlub and a little pudgy. Doesn’t look the rock star QB part whereas Minshew kinda does.

I think that’s an underlying bias of mine at least, and I’m hoping AOC approves me wrong.

I really don't get some of the AOC hate. Count me as someone who is good with giving him another year to see if he can build upon what he showed last year. He showed a lot more than just having a good arm. But I suppose beauty is in the eye.
There are two things at play I think. The first is largely that people expect rookies to light it up and if they don't then they suck. The average fan doesn't care about or maybe doesn't even understand athletic development and how big of a leap it is to go from college to play in the NFL. Yes, some guys come in as rookies and play amazingly well. Most do not. The second is that he isn't mobile. Being able to run is 'sexy' and yes, it does add an extra part to a QB's game to be an offensive weapon if they can run it absolutely is not critical for a good QB. Most running QB's end up hurt or hurt so much that they stop running as much as they did entering the league.

I am curious as to what Getsy will deploy with this offense. We have a top tier duo of WR's, a top tier duo of TE's, what should be a solid to good line (depending on how that RT spot plays out) and a few RB's that should be at least serviceable with upside for White if he continues his progression. Throw in a speedster and a proven though coming back from injury deep threat there are weapons for a QB who can be accurate and make good throws to have NFL success.

And as opposed to what we have had for the last couple of decades, we finally have a defense. That defense only got better from what we saw last year as all important pieces are still there and we added a legit threat at DT to add to it. I am betting we are shopping the current available CB's to add as well and if any of those top names play decently- Jones and Hobbs can hold their end. Then we will actually be winning some games with our defense.

But swinging back to AOC and the offense.... I don't know what we can expect from Getsy. He had Fields and that was up and down. Now, how much of that was about Fields development and lack of weapons and poor line play and how much of that is on Getsy? I don't know. Now I wish I paid more attention to those Bears games to have more insight. He played well for a QB that was a backup project that was not expected to actually play for the whole year, likely didn't get many snaps until "oh crap, Linguine arm sucks!" and then got tossed into the fire.... then, got a new OC mid season and had to work with that. That is a lot and with how well he played? There should be more hope for him than there is. But again, I think it is expectations of rookies and not being mobile so people poo on him.
No one is expecting him to be Lamar Jackson. The lack of mobility I’m talking about is the dude looks lead footed. No shift, no wiggle. He plods. I’ll take Joe Flacco mobility all day. I haven’t even seen that out of AOC. BUT I AM ROOTING FOR HIM! I’ve said multiple times in here that he he shows improvement this year.

And as far as I’m concerned I give rookies time. I think Bryce young is gonna be fine. Stroud is and will continue to make him look “bad” as the #1 pick. But I think he’s still got a shot to be a decent to pretty good qb. Hell, I’m on record in here that I wanted fields* And we’ve had a few years of sample size there.

*nor for his running ability. :lmao:

I think there are also some unfair superficial things that I might even hold against AOC…he kinda looks like a gomer, a schlub and a little pudgy. Doesn’t look the rock star QB part whereas Minshew kinda does.

I think that’s an underlying bias of mine at least, and I’m hoping AOC approves me wrong.
I agree with this. But I think minshew looks like a festival rat that is coming of a two week bender.

I was ridiculed for saying they should go with O'Connell and maybe that is justified, but here we are. Minshew could beat him out, but maybe not.
IF AOC wins the job, the raiders coaching staff will be ridiculed if he doesn’t perform well. You’re not alone.

Just because they didn’t obtain a qb via the draft or trade or whatever doesn’t suddenly make any of us AOC converts. He’s still exactly what he was before, a middling, stone footed, slow processing, young qb, With a pretty good arm. Nice kid. Works hard. We’ll see.

But what about the report that he would have been a top 10 pick this year based on what he showed last year?

He did reasonable well last year, but I still can't believe anyone can say that with a straight face.
AOC is a solid backup. He isn’t mobile at all but his biggest challenge last year was his processing speed. If that improves, he could be a solid starter in the NFL since he does have a great arm. The battle between AOC and Minshew for the starting QB position should be fun to watch. Unfortunately, LV is still stuck in the Carr tier of QB talent.
He had the second best season last year behind CJ Stroud of all the rookie QB's starting last year.

AOC showed flashes of his preseason self more and more as the season wore on, save for the Chiefs and Vikings games, where, to be fair, two of the more exotic defensive systems had his head spinning. But again, let's see what's what if/as the game slows down and the offense around him improves.
AO12 had very little first team reps to start the season and then to top it off he finally got the start and his OC was a rookie OC with no play calling experience and not running his own offense that you can't just replace overnight in the middle of the season.

So you’re telling me you’d rather have AOC over every other rookie qb from last year? 😂
Who said that? Please share whatever you're on.
:shrug:
I own it!!!! :P

Alex Monfreda
@AlexMonfreda
Packers were first in third-down conversion % in 2020, and 9th in third-down conversion % in 2021. In 2019, Packers were 19th. In 2018, Packers were 22nd. In 2017, Packers were 13th. In 2022, Packers were 17th.Should we be surprised the Packers’ situational football was best under Getsy? After all, he led the Bears to the 13th best 3rd down % in 2022, and 10th best in 2023. In 2021, before Getsy, the Bears’ third down % ranked — wait for it — dead last in the entire NFL at 32-of-32.

I agree with this. But I think minshew looks like a festival rat that is coming of a two week bender.
so fn true, but after listening to him on Crosby’s podcast it’s who he is and not some act. Limited social media, doesn’t watch much tv, is not motivated by money and loves the storied history of da raidahs

what does this have to do with playing quarterback?

Where in that post does Joey say anything about playing QB?

AOC looked like a young Tom Brady throughout last preaseason. It took a few bumpy initial starts to gain steam, but late regular season, he showed plenty of glimpses of the same early Brady moments, save again for the Vikings and Chiefs defenses. And as others have stated, his OC and OL didn't exactly do him favors last year.

The only QB in this last draft I was excited to see take over AOC's opportunity was McCarthy, tho Penix did grow on me. Rest of them, meh; glad to have Bowers + AOC + the full slate of future top picks instead.

You have an uncomfortable amount of focus on how our QB's look.

AOC looked like a young Tom Brady throughout last preaseason. It took a few bumpy initial starts to gain steam, but late regular season, he showed plenty of glimpses of the same early Brady moments, save again for the Vikings and Chiefs defenses. And as others have stated, his OC and OL didn't exactly do him favors last year.

The only QB in this last draft I was excited to see take over AOC's opportunity was McCarthy, tho Penix did grow on me. Rest of them, meh; glad to have Bowers + AOC + the full slate of future top picks instead.
I agree, and would add when AOC got the ball out of his hand quickly his performances were good. Hopefully, the game slows down in his second year.

Moving aside from QB talk,

It hasn't been focused on enough... MJ Devonshire and even moreso, Trey Taylor, were steals in rd 7. I predict both will not only make the team but will provide critical depth in key moments in 2024, and will ultimately become starters in the league at some point, health permitting. I don't understand how the NFL didn't grade these dudes higher, but awesome for the Raiders.

Paper is only worth what it is backed by, but on paper, I really liked this draft. High/extreme-value selections in every round but 3/4, and even with those two picks, they might have landed guys that could develop into productive starters; reaches, perhaps, but you can see the upside they were seeing to reach for.

You know exactly what the point of my post was, no? have you never thought about unconscious bias? Or can we only talk stats in here?

You have an uncomfortable amount of focus on how our QB's look.
:oldunsure: just reacting to joeys post. Have you watched any of that Crosby podcast with uncle Rico. Dude is a piece a of work.

You know exactly what the point of my post was, no? have you never thought about unconscious bias? Or can we only talk stats in here?
FF stats only!

Users who are viewing this thread