What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - waiting to see some football! (11 Viewers)

Kliff was a home run hire.

He totally made Patrick Mahomes.
This regime won’t be a one person show this time around. AP is the leader, or loudspeaker, face of the franchise (however one wants to see him). PG is the brains of the defense and Kingsbury will be offensive guru. All the while Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin will sit behind the scenes pulling the strings. While hopefully Champ and Telesco funnel in good players these coaches want.

This regime won’t be a one person show this time around. AP is the leader, or loudspeaker, face of the franchise (however one wants to see him). PG is the brains of the defense and Kingsbury will be offensive guru. All the while Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin will sit behind the scenes pulling the strings. While hopefully Champ and Telesco funnel in good players these coaches want.
My ONLY takeaway from the KK hire (I have decided to never type his last name) is that any notion that Pierce was going to be ground and pound+defense guy is kind of out the window. This seems like he is expecting/open to some wide open offense. Which I think is the way of the NFL these days.

OK, one other takeaway: Hiring a younger retread HC as an OC is kind of perfect, in my mind. Lessens the chances of an early departure, for one thing. If he does a good job, there is less of a worry, because he's a retread. There might be some buzz, but there is ALWAYS going to be a sexier pick than a 45 year old guy who has been fired already. And it also seems like he's not interested in college. I am hopeful that this hire works for stability.

Here is my prediction on what we do.... putting it down to be laughed at or awed at later.

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham
Some sort of Special Advisor title- Marvin Lewis
President of Football Operations- Pete Carroll

Hear me out here.

By order of how confident I am in the prediction, we start at HC. No matter what Davis wanted to do, I think at this point he really honestly has no choice but to hire AP. The fans, the players, the alumni, the media are all very loud and very emphatic about AP getting the job. Davis showed his willingness to listen to the fanbase as I am not sure if McD would have been fired when he was without the fanbase rising up. On top of that, Davis said that he would like to retain AP and I think AP showed enough for that to remain.

Marvin Lewis in some sort of advisor role essentially to continue to mentor AP. Marvin was already doing this in an unofficial role. I think the biggest reluctance that Davis will have is putting in place a rookie HC and rookie GM. I think he will want to support both with what he has called before "a strong football mind". I think Marvin fits that role in terms of guidance and assistance to AP perfectly having a wealth of HC experience and the relationship with AP already.

Graham at DC is only third in my confidence level because of the possibility of him getting hired as a HC elsewhere. If this does not happen, Graham will be back.

Putting Champ as the GM makes sense. He was highly respected while with the Bears and his time with the Donkeys. We interviewed him before hiring Zeigler which apparently was a packaged deal with McD. We liked him enough to poach him and make him the AGM. While he has been with us there have been some missed and some hits on roster decisions. The misses and fumbles largely seem to have had McD's stench over them but at the same time it is hard to say how much credit he gets for moves like drafting Parham and Tre, free agent add of Spillane, and the claiming of Jones as some examples.

Now we are getting into the territory of making long guesses more than anything. For OC, I think a prerequisite that Davis will put on hiring AP is that the OC be someone with a wealth of experience and I believe, a resume that includes HC on it. The two that fit that for me is Frank Reich and Kingsbury. I am giving Kingsbury the go ahead on my prediction for a few reasons. First, the rumors are already out there that this is a strong possibility if we retain AP. Second, he has a long history in many different places of getting good offensive production from his QB's and offenses. His record as a HC is not very good but he does have some experience there to bring to the table. Third, this fits the trend of younger offensive minds that is kind of the rage in the NFL.

Mentioned earlier, I think Davis will make it a point to bring in experienced football minds to support, mentor and help Champ and AP. For AP, I think that is Marvin. I think that the Raiders will hire a new "President of Football Operations" to be that person on the front office side. How much power or the role exactly is, that is hard to say but I think it is going to be about bringing in someone that has that team building perspective. I am the least confident about this prediction because it is somewhat a shot in the dark for first creating the position and then who would fill it. Pete Carroll is older and though it is said he wanted to keep coaching with the Seahawks, maybe moving to the executive role would be more appealing to him now. I am not seeing any rumors of him being tied to any other teams right now for HC. One fun fact is that Pete actually had the title of "President of Football Operations" at Seattle. He is a winner with both National Championship and Super Bowl wins on his resume. I went back and forth with him and Tom Coughlin as well. Tom has the football mind and some experience doing a similar role with the Jags for a few years. He further has already been involved in the mentoring of AP when he took over as well. Tom actually may be the smarter choice here but I felt like if I am going to make some predictions at least one of them has to be kind of 'wow' and Pete feels like that to me.

There you go. Our new Las Vegas Raiders heading into next year.
Well.... damn.... not too bad.

Here is my prediction on what we do.... putting it down to be laughed at or awed at later.

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham

Hear me out here.

By order of how confident I am in the prediction, we start at HC. No matter what Davis wanted to do, I think at this point he really honestly has no choice but to hire AP. The fans, the players, the alumni, the media are all very loud and very emphatic about AP getting the job. Davis showed his willingness to listen to the fanbase as I am not sure if McD would have been fired when he was without the fanbase rising up. On top of that, Davis said that he would like to retain AP and I think AP showed enough for that to remain.

Marvin Lewis in some sort of advisor role essentially to continue to mentor AP. Marvin was already doing this in an unofficial role. I think the biggest reluctance that Davis will have is putting in place a rookie HC and rookie GM. I think he will want to support both with what he has called before "a strong football mind". I think Marvin fits that role in terms of guidance and assistance to AP perfectly having a wealth of HC experience and the relationship with AP already.

Graham at DC is only third in my confidence level because of the possibility of him getting hired as a HC elsewhere. If this does not happen, Graham will be back.

Putting Champ as the GM makes sense. He was highly respected while with the Bears and his time with the Donkeys. We interviewed him before hiring Zeigler which apparently was a packaged deal with McD. We liked him enough to poach him and make him the AGM. While he has been with us there have been some missed and some hits on roster decisions. The misses and fumbles largely seem to have had McD's stench over them but at the same time it is hard to say how much credit he gets for moves like drafting Parham and Tre, free agent add of Spillane, and the claiming of Jones as some examples.

Now we are getting into the territory of making long guesses more than anything. For OC, I think a prerequisite that Davis will put on hiring AP is that the OC be someone with a wealth of experience and I believe, a resume that includes HC on it. The two that fit that for me is Frank Reich and Kingsbury. I am giving Kingsbury the go ahead on my prediction for a few reasons. First, the rumors are already out there that this is a strong possibility if we retain AP. Second, he has a long history in many different places of getting good offensive production from his QB's and offenses. His record as a HC is not very good but he does have some experience there to bring to the table. Third, this fits the trend of younger offensive minds that is kind of the rage in the NFL.

Mentioned earlier, I think Davis will make it a point to bring in experienced football minds to support, mentor and help Champ and AP. For AP, I think that is Marvin. I think that the Raiders will hire a new "President of Football Operations" to be that person on the front office side. How much power or the role exactly is, that is hard to say but I think it is going to be about bringing in someone that has that team building perspective. I am the least confident about this prediction because it is somewhat a shot in the dark for first creating the position and then who would fill it. Pete Carroll is older and though it is said he wanted to keep coaching with the Seahawks, maybe moving to the executive role would be more appealing to him now. I am not seeing any rumors of him being tied to any other teams right now for HC. One fun fact is that Pete actually had the title of "President of Football Operations" at Seattle. He is a winner with both National Championship and Super Bowl wins on his resume. I went back and forth with him and Tom Coughlin as well. Tom has the football mind and some experience doing a similar role with the Jags for a few years. He further has already been involved in the mentoring of AP when he took over as well. Tom actually may be the smarter choice here but I felt like if I am going to make some predictions at least one of them has to be kind of 'wow' and Pete feels like that to me.

Well done

I think that is very much underselling AP and over stating the role of Marvin Lewis.

I have spent a lot of time studying leadership including a graduate program in Organizational Leadership. One of the things I have keyed in as a great indicator or success is a leader to have self awareness and willingness to delegate and empower. I see that in spades with AP. He isn't worried about what their perception is (which is something a weak leader is preoccupied with) but is driven toward success of the team versus success of himself. It is genuine and something that the players respond to.

Everything that I have seen is that he has a very keen football mind. Just because he is an inspirational leader does not mean that that is all he is.

He lacks some experience so he is doing the absolute right thing in seeking experience out to get better. Bringing Lewis on board isn't about letting him pull the strings but it is about being able to draw on that experience. Coaching an NFL team is far more involved than leading men and putting a gameplan together. Lewis is there to give advice and be a sounding board. Perhaps take responsibility for some aspects. But it sure as heck doesn't mean AP is just a "loudspeaker" or "face of the franchise".

And one final note, let's keep in mind how the defense blossomed AFTER AP took over from McD. There was a marked improvement right away. You can't take that away from AP and just give Graham all the love.

I’d obviously prefer the Raiders competing for a Super Bowl but I love this time of year. The pre-draft season, where everyone (including myself) becomes an armchair GM.
The kid from Arizona St that transferred to LSU, Daniels? I can honestly say I didn’t see him play a down this year yet I’m to believe he’s a top 3 QB. That’s what the experts say and he won the Heismann so I’ll buy in some.
Last year Richardson was the polarizing QB. This year I think it’s Michael Penix.
Positives:
Tons of experience
Laser for an arm
Big hands, can sling it at the flick of a wrist
Quick release
Accuracy pretty solid (it’s debatable now after Title game)
High football IQ
Negatives:
Slight frame: not Bryce Young small, more like Bridgewater or RG3.
Multiple knee surgeries in past. Healthy the past 2 seasons.
Poor showing against a tough defense (Michigan) but lit up Texas so take it for what it’s worth
Not considered a “dual threat” QB
Overall, QBs move up draft boards every year as the draft gets closer. Reports coming out of Mobile is that Penix is lighting up Senior Bowl practice. The guy will be a first round draft pick for sure.
Is he mobile??? Thats the biggest knock on AOC , he cant scramble

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham

Hear me out here.

Well done
Thanks. I took the angle that Champ would get the nod and then that would mean Davis would bring in someone. If I had thought about Telesco, I would not have added a "President of Football Operations". I knew that that was my biggest swing for the fences and that if it happened Coughlin likely would have made more sense but like I said, I wanted to take a shot in the dark that if I hit would be an all time 'wow' moment for a prediction.

I’d obviously prefer the Raiders competing for a Super Bowl but I love this time of year. The pre-draft season, where everyone (including myself) becomes an armchair GM.
The kid from Arizona St that transferred to LSU, Daniels? I can honestly say I didn’t see him play a down this year yet I’m to believe he’s a top 3 QB. That’s what the experts say and he won the Heismann so I’ll buy in some.
Last year Richardson was the polarizing QB. This year I think it’s Michael Penix.
Positives:
Tons of experience
Laser for an arm
Quick release
High football IQ
Negatives:
Poor showing against a tough defense (Michigan) but lit up Texas so take it for what it’s worth
Overall, QBs move up draft boards every year as the draft gets closer. Reports coming out of Mobile is that Penix is lighting up Senior Bowl practice. The guy will be a first round draft pick for sure.
Which kid is the one that ended with injury every college year?

Penix. 4 seasons ended by injury.

Indiana has mustered only two winning seasons in the last 16 years, and those two years had something in common: They were the only two seasons in which Michael Penix Jr. appeared in a majority of games for the Hoosiers.

Before Penix found stardom at Washington, he helped lead a flailing Indiana program back to relevance in the Big Ten and gave Hoosiers fans something to believe in. Indiana won a combined 14 games in 2019 and 2020 but has just nine wins in the three seasons since.

The end of Penix's time in Bloomington wasn't as simple as a quarterback moving on to bigger and better things, however. Injuries ravaged his stint with the Hoosiers, ending all four of his seasons prematurely.

Penix got a fresh start under Washington coach Kalen DeBoer, who was his offensive coordinator when Indiana won eight games in 2019, and Penix has been able to push the slew of unfortunate injuries out of mind to become a legitimate NFL prospect.

MORE: Updated bowl projections entering championship weekend

Here's a closer look at Penix's injury history before he landed with DeBoer at Washington.

Michael Penix Jr. injury history​

— 2018: Penix appeared in three games as a true freshman in 2018 before suffering a season-ending ACL tear in October. He didn't make a start and threw only 34 passes, but Penix was splitting time with Peyton Ramsey in a competitive game against Penn State when he went down. Because the injury happened early enough in the season, however, Penix was able to set his sights on a full recovery ahead of the 2019 season.

— 2019: Penix, a lefthander, dislocated the SC joint in his non-throwing shoulder in November 2019, ending his season prematurely. He had made a pretty remarkable comeback, earning the Hoosiers' starting job as a redshirt freshman despite spending most of the offseason recovering from the torn ACL.

Indiana was 7-2 when Penix went down in a win over Northwestern, already the program's highest win total since 2007. Penix already had missed time earlier in the season, sitting out a 41-point loss to Ohio State, but the Hoosiers would struggle the rest of the way with losses to Penn State and Michigan plus a Gator Bowl loss to Tennessee.

MORE: Updated Heisman Trophy odds entering Pac-12 championship

— 2020:
The COVID-shortened season, which nearly didn't happen at all for Big Ten schools, was a bit of a dream season for Indiana. With Penix at the helm, the Hoosiers were ranked as high as No. 7 in the AP poll and earned wins over both Penn State and Michigan. Penix threw for 342 yards and three touchdowns in the win over the Wolverines, and he gave Ohio State a scare by throwing for 491 yards and five touchdowns in a loss.

While Penix was arguably a darkhorse Heisman Trophy candidate with 14 touchdown passes through five games, his season ended abruptly when he re-tore his ACL against Maryland. Indiana played only two more games, but Penix missed an opportunity to play in the Outback Bowl against Ole Miss as he recovered.

— 2021: By the time 2021 rolled around, injuries were starting to take a toll on Penix's mind. He told the Pac-12 Network earlier this year that he dealt with mental health struggles as a result.

"There were times when I'd wake up the day of the game and I'd wait until my roommate leaves, and I'd just lie on the floor, and I'd just cry to God, just praying that he'd protect me that day because I knew where my head was at at the time, and it wasn't truly fresh," Penix said, adding that there were "a lot of tears."

That makes it even more remarkable that Penix was able to not only continue his career after 2021, but also reach new heights. His 2021 season ended after only five games, with Penix suffering a dislocated joint in his throwing shoulder. At that point, Penix had thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in a season that would see Indiana finish winless in Big Ten play.

MORE: Where Michael Penix Jr. places in college football QB rankings after rivalry week

The desire to play never disappeared for Penix, who revealed earlier this year that he wasn't medically cleared from his second ACL tear before playing against Iowa in 2021. Penix said the doctor who performed his surgery said he couldn't formally clear him just yet but said he couldn't stop him from playing. Penix played, and while he suffered the shoulder injury the following month, his leg held up as well as he could have hoped.

In two years at Washington, Penix has made every start and morphed into one of the nation's top quarterbacks. After a Heisman runner-up season and a College Football Playoff semifinal win, Penix now has his sights set on a national championship.

Last edited:
Positives:
Tons of experience
Laser for an arm
Quick release
High football IQ
Negatives:
I worry he's not going to make the hand off, if it’s not to the A gap.

Positives:
Tons of experience
Laser for an arm
Quick release
High football IQ
Negatives:
Oh i agree , mobile running QBs are far more susceptible to injury as we see often. Not being mobile is all ever heard or read about AOC , so if we are going to bring in competition why bring in a guy whos already similar to AOC .

I really hope they don’t mortgage the future for a rookie qb. Put me in the camp that if there’s one they like in the 3rd or later, go for it. Otherwise, let the bears take their qb of the future and see if they can get fields for a 2nd and a bag of balls

Indiana has mustered only two winning seasons in the last 16 years, and those two years had something in common: They were the only two seasons in which Michael Penix Jr. appeared in a majority of games for the Hoosiers.

Before Penix found stardom at Washington, he helped lead a flailing Indiana program back to relevance in the Big Ten and gave Hoosiers fans something to believe in. Indiana won a combined 14 games in 2019 and 2020 but has just nine wins in the three seasons since.

The end of Penix's time in Bloomington wasn't as simple as a quarterback moving on to bigger and better things, however. Injuries ravaged his stint with the Hoosiers, ending all four of his seasons prematurely.

Penix got a fresh start under Washington coach Kalen DeBoer, who was his offensive coordinator when Indiana won eight games in 2019, and Penix has been able to push the slew of unfortunate injuries out of mind to become a legitimate NFL prospect.

Here's a closer look at Penix's injury history before he landed with DeBoer at Washington.

— 2018: Penix appeared in three games as a true freshman in 2018 before suffering a season-ending ACL tear in October. He didn't make a start and threw only 34 passes, but Penix was splitting time with Peyton Ramsey in a competitive game against Penn State when he went down. Because the injury happened early enough in the season, however, Penix was able to set his sights on a full recovery ahead of the 2019 season.

— 2019: Penix, a lefthander, dislocated the SC joint in his non-throwing shoulder in November 2019, ending his season prematurely. He had made a pretty remarkable comeback, earning the Hoosiers' starting job as a redshirt freshman despite spending most of the offseason recovering from the torn ACL.

Indiana was 7-2 when Penix went down in a win over Northwestern, already the program's highest win total since 2007. Penix already had missed time earlier in the season, sitting out a 41-point loss to Ohio State, but the Hoosiers would struggle the rest of the way with losses to Penn State and Michigan plus a Gator Bowl loss to Tennessee.

— 2020:
The COVID-shortened season, which nearly didn't happen at all for Big Ten schools, was a bit of a dream season for Indiana. With Penix at the helm, the Hoosiers were ranked as high as No. 7 in the AP poll and earned wins over both Penn State and Michigan. Penix threw for 342 yards and three touchdowns in the win over the Wolverines, and he gave Ohio State a scare by throwing for 491 yards and five touchdowns in a loss.

While Penix was arguably a darkhorse Heisman Trophy candidate with 14 touchdown passes through five games, his season ended abruptly when he re-tore his ACL against Maryland. Indiana played only two more games, but Penix missed an opportunity to play in the Outback Bowl against Ole Miss as he recovered.

— 2021: By the time 2021 rolled around, injuries were starting to take a toll on Penix's mind. He told the Pac-12 Network earlier this year that he dealt with mental health struggles as a result.

"There were times when I'd wake up the day of the game and I'd wait until my roommate leaves, and I'd just lie on the floor, and I'd just cry to God, just praying that he'd protect me that day because I knew where my head was at at the time, and it wasn't truly fresh," Penix said, adding that there were "a lot of tears."

That makes it even more remarkable that Penix was able to not only continue his career after 2021, but also reach new heights. His 2021 season ended after only five games, with Penix suffering a dislocated joint in his throwing shoulder. At that point, Penix had thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in a season that would see Indiana finish winless in Big Ten play.

MORE: Where Michael Penix Jr. places in college football QB rankings after rivalry week

The desire to play never disappeared for Penix, who revealed earlier this year that he wasn't medically cleared from his second ACL tear before playing against Iowa in 2021. Penix said the doctor who performed his surgery said he couldn't formally clear him just yet but said he couldn't stop him from playing. Penix played, and while he suffered the shoulder injury the following month, his leg held up as well as he could have hoped.

In two years at Washington, Penix has made every start and morphed into one of the nation's top quarterbacks. After a Heisman runner-up season and a College Football Playoff semifinal win, Penix now has his sights set on a national championship.
You can take a chance on the kid but that chance is not with an early round pick.

There was some discussion about Telesco and injuries with the Dolts. An early round pick on a kid like him would 100% be on the GM if you took the risk and he struggled with injury with that kind of injury history to be seen.

I really hope they don’t mortgage the future for a rookie qb. Put me in the camp that if there’s one they like in the 3rd or later, go for it. Otherwise, let the bears take their qb of the future and see if they can get fields for a 2nd and a bag of balls
I would happily give up a 2nd for Fields, use our 1st on potentially an OT (would love to see Alt fall to us) and let Kliff work with Fields. That is my dream scenario.

Positives:
Tons of experience
Laser for an arm
Quick release
High football IQ
Negatives:
He’s not a statue but I’d consider him a pocket passer.

I think that is very much underselling AP and over stating the role of Marvin Lewis.

I have spent a lot of time studying leadership including a graduate program in Organizational Leadership. One of the things I have keyed in as a great indicator or success is a leader to have self awareness and willingness to delegate and empower. I see that in spades with AP. He isn't worried about what their perception is (which is something a weak leader is preoccupied with) but is driven toward success of the team versus success of himself. It is genuine and something that the players respond to.

Everything that I have seen is that he has a very keen football mind. Just because he is an inspirational leader does not mean that that is all he is.

He lacks some experience so he is doing the absolute right thing in seeking experience out to get better. Bringing Lewis on board isn't about letting him pull the strings but it is about being able to draw on that experience. Coaching an NFL team is far more involved than leading men and putting a gameplan together. Lewis is there to give advice and be a sounding board. Perhaps take responsibility for some aspects. But it sure as heck doesn't mean AP is just a "loudspeaker" or "face of the franchise".

And one final note, let's keep in mind how the defense blossomed AFTER AP took over from McD. There was a marked improvement right away. You can't take that away from AP and just give Graham all the love.
Excellent post.

I would happily give up a 2nd for Fields, use our 1st on potentially an OT (would love to see Alt fall to us) and let Kliff work with Fields. That is my dream scenario.
Bingo! This is exactly what I’m hoping for as well.

— 2020:

Definitely a major concern for sure but he has made it through 2 seasons at Washington without breaking down and he’s healthy right now. It’s not like Hendon Hooker last year where the rookie season is basically a red shirt due to injury.

Hiring a younger retread HC as an OC is kind of perfect, in my mind. Lessens the chances of an early departure, for one thing. If he does a good job, there is less of a worry, because he's a retread. There might be some buzz, but there is ALWAYS going to be a sexier pick than a 45 year old guy who has been fired already. And it also seems like he's not interested in college. I am hopeful that this hire works for stability.
💯

great indicator [of] success is a leader to have self awareness and willingness to delegate and empower. I see that in spades with AP. He isn't worried about what their perception is (which is something a weak leader is preoccupied with) but is driven toward success of the team versus success of himself. It is genuine and something that the players respond to.
💯

Definitely a major concern for sure but he has made it through 2 seasons at Washington without breaking down and he’s healthy right now.
Is he? Is he 100%? Are both his shoulders and both his knees back to where they were? Will they ever be? We don't know. I only say that because the team who draft Penix can expect a discount, because of all those injuries. Hooker was a discount for several reasons: age/injury/Mickey Mouse offense.

Honestly, I will take any of these QBs in the 2nd round, because it's worth it. Nix/McCarthy/Penix. All worth the shot as a 2nd round pick. Penix and Nix being on the 6 year college plan kind of takes them out of the top half of the 1st round mix for me. Certainly not a trade UP. I ain't trading up for a guy with 4 season-ending injuries.

— 2020:

You can take a chance on the kid but that chance is not with an early round pick.

There was some discussion about Telesco and injuries with the Dolts. An early round pick on a kid like him would 100% be on the GM if you took the risk and he struggled with injury with that kind of injury history to be seen.
The Raiders specialize in taking injured 1st round picks

Positives:
Tons of experience
Laser for an arm
Quick release
High football IQ
Negatives:
He makes Joe Flacco look like tyreek

— 2020:

Definitely a major concern for sure but he has made it through 2 seasons at Washington without breaking down and he’s healthy right now. It’s not like Hendon Hooker last year where the rookie season is basically a red shirt due to injury.
Hooker went in the 3rd as well. Big difference. I wanted the raiders to take a flyer on him.

My ONLY takeaway from the KK hire (I have decided to never type his last name) is that any notion that Pierce was going to be ground and pound+defense guy is kind of out the window. This seems like he is expecting/open to some wide open offense. Which I think is the way of the NFL these days.
In 2020 ARI ran it 479 times vs. 575 throws (35.9 per game with 54.3% run/pass ratio), 2021 496 vs. 591 (34.8 with 54.6%), and 2022 Murray was at 34.3 per game before he got hurt. Their balance went out the window once the backup QB's took the field. That play balance of 54.5% passing would have been 12th lowest in the league in 2023. Raiders were 24th at 57.4%, and in the last 9 games under AP were 55.2%.

TLDR = Kliff ran more than AP did.

He had average talents of Kenyon Drake and James Conner and maximized those guys. I expect he'll have a ball with Jacobs.

In 2020 ARI ran it 479 times vs. 575 throws (35.9 per game with 54.3% run/pass ratio), 2021 496 vs. 591 (34.8 with 54.6%), and 2022 Murray was at 34.3 per game before he got hurt. Their balance went out the window once the backup QB's took the field. That play balance of 54.5% passing would have been 12th lowest in the league in 2023. Raiders were 24th at 57.4%, and in the last 9 games under AP were 55.2%.

He had average talents of Kenyon Drake and James Conner and maximized those guys. I expect he'll have a ball with Jacobs.
Jacobs who? The free agent?

I didn't say anything about what Pierce had done, merely commented on what people might think about him. Hiring Kliff will stifle that.

But yeah, he ran it 1% more than AP. Gotcha.

Um Jayden Daniels was the #31 rusher in the NCAA. The ENTIRE NCAA, all teams, all positions. 1134 yards on 135 attempts. 885 yards in 2022, and both years was the #1 rushing QB. He has strong pocket passer traits yes, but he is incredibly mobile.
I think he was talking about Penix. Had to have been.

OK, one other takeaway: Hiring a younger retread HC as an OC is kind of perfect, in my mind. Lessens the chances of an early departure, for one thing. If he does a good job, there is less of a worry, because he's a retread. There might be some buzz, but there is ALWAYS going to be a sexier pick than a 45 year old guy who has been fired already. And it also seems like he's not interested in college. I am hopeful that this hire works for stability.
I think at this point Kliff knows what he is and what he isn't. I think he doesn't want to be a head coach again and just wants to call plays as an OC.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Expect Andre Carter to join as a pass-rush specialist, as well.

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
The #Raiders are hiring former #Panthers and #49ers RB DeShaun Foster as their RBs coach, sources say. So while Vegas didn’t hire UCLA’s Chip Kelly as OC, the team is nabbing one of his Bruins assistants. Foster’s been at UCLA all but one year since 2012. Now an NFL coach.

I think at this point Kliff knows what he is and what he isn't. I think he doesn't want to be a head coach again and just wants to call plays as an OC.
I hope not, and he got paid on the way out of AZ.

These HC jobs are life changing money. 5 or 6 years, fully guaranteed. Saying no to that is no joke.

Yea, his rep from college is all in that 'air raid' but he adapted to the NFL game which is something that is a positive sign in that he can adapt.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Expect Andre Carter to join as a pass-rush specialist, as well.

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
The #Raiders are hiring former #Panthers and #49ers RB DeShaun Foster as their RBs coach, sources say. So while Vegas didn’t hire UCLA’s Chip Kelly as OC, the team is nabbing one of his Bruins assistants. Foster’s been at UCLA all but one year since 2012. Now an NFL coach.
I guess that means they are letting Polamula go

I hope not, and he got paid on the way out of AZ.

These HC jobs are life changing money. 5 or 6 years, fully guaranteed. Saying no to that is no joke.
I don't see Kliff as the kind of guy lacking in ego to not want the HC again.... whether he is suitable for it or not.

Imagine the Raiders being run like an actual elite NFL team ,with great educated obvious draft choices

Yeah, the problem for you guys is you hired Telesco. You might as well make peace with it now.
Bro, we are trading all our draft picks anyway. Doesn't matter. Anyway, don't make us relist the horror show that our 1st round picks have been the last 20 years.

Imagine the Raiders being run like an actual elite NFL team ,with great educated obvious draft choices

Yeah, the problem for you guys is you hired Telesco. You might as well make peace with it now.
Bro, we are trading all our draft picks anyway. Doesn't matter. Anyway, don't make us relist the horror show that our 1st round picks have been the last 20 years.

Just trying to ground your expectations... :)

No matter who the Raiders hire someone's going to trash it , so who cares

Dude, I totally get that you are still in stage 1 of the 7 stages of grief, shock and denial. Good luck as you progress through the complete series of stages.

Rule explaining minority draft pick compensation

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

Y'all might have known all this, but I was foggy on the rule.

Once a guy has been employed for two years (Champ Kelly eligible after this year, Patrick Graham is/was eligible this offseason) , the team gets comp 3rd round picks in back to back years.

So, if we lose Kelly to a GM job somewhere, or Graham to a HC job next year, it's two 3rd round picks. End of the round, in consecutive years.

I see from the title it says QB watch. So tell me, what is a realistic approach at QB for the Raiders in 2024 if you don’t think O’Connell is the answer? A rookie? Jayden Daniels? Penix? We already know Jimmy G isn’t the answer. He’s not even as good as O’Connell. I’m not sure a rookie not named Williams or Maye is the way to go. I like Daniels, but……

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread