What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - waiting to see some football! (18 Viewers)

So someone was arguing that the Raiders arent following the Rooney rule the way its supposed to be followed.

I dont know a lot about the rule other than its meant to create diversity in hiring. What could the Raiders be doing wrong?

This person said quote ''you must interview 2 minorities neither of which can be from your organization for the head coaching position, one needs to be in person which can’t take place until the 22nd. So far they’ve interviewed no o/s candidates for HC,
And makes the league not only look bad,but it makes the league look condescending and that’s why they will come down hard on the Raiders. I think
BigSey93 either isn’t very bright or did it on purpose, because either way the league will come down on the Raiders when they hire AP''
Wait...
You are going to tell me that if the Raiders do indeed hire AP then people are going to be mad that they aren't interviewing enough minority coaches?!
Gawd, I am really starting to hate this world and understand all the old grumpy people that want to live in the middle of no where with minimal contact with other people.
Thats what i was thinking, sounds crazy dumb to me .
Nothing matters until after the 22nd. No rules have been broken. They can’t talk to anyone until then.

I'm pretty sure the Jan 22nd rule only applies to coaches employed by another team. Since Leslie Frazier isn't employed by an NFL team, he can be interviewed now. There's half the Rooney rule satisfied right there.

So someone was arguing that the Raiders arent following the Rooney rule the way its supposed to be followed.

I dont know a lot about the rule other than its meant to create diversity in hiring. What could the Raiders be doing wrong?

This person said quote ''you must interview 2 minorities neither of which can be from your organization for the head coaching position, one needs to be in person which can’t take place until the 22nd. So far they’ve interviewed no o/s candidates for HC,
And makes the league not only look bad,but it makes the league look condescending and that’s why they will come down hard on the Raiders. I think
BigSey93 either isn’t very bright or did it on purpose, because either way the league will come down on the Raiders when they hire AP''
Wait...
You are going to tell me that if the Raiders do indeed hire AP then people are going to be mad that they aren't interviewing enough minority coaches?!
Gawd, I am really starting to hate this world and understand all the old grumpy people that want to live in the middle of no where with minimal contact with other people.
Thats what i was thinking, sounds crazy dumb to me .
Nothing matters until after the 22nd. No rules have been broken. They can’t talk to anyone until then.
They can do video interviews but for employed coaches they have to wait.

I think there are a bunch of new staff's that will be looking to work. What are the chances Dallas and Philly fire their coaches? I would say it has to be high. Right?

Zero chance Philly fires Sirianni. I was thinking though, that I wouldn't be opposed to McCarthy in an OC role. Veteran guy, offensive design/playcalling has never been the issue in Dallas. Keep him far far away from actually preparing human beings to get motivated, but I see a quality X's and O's compliment to what AP would bring emotionally.

Here is my prediction on what we do.... putting it down to be laughed at or awed at later.

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham
Some sort of Special Advisor title- Marvin Lewis
President of Football Operations- Pete Carroll

Hear me out here.

By order of how confident I am in the prediction, we start at HC. No matter what Davis wanted to do, I think at this point he really honestly has no choice but to hire AP. The fans, the players, the alumni, the media are all very loud and very emphatic about AP getting the job. Davis showed his willingness to listen to the fanbase as I am not sure if McD would have been fired when he was without the fanbase rising up. On top of that, Davis said that he would like to retain AP and I think AP showed enough for that to remain.

Marvin Lewis in some sort of advisor role essentially to continue to mentor AP. Marvin was already doing this in an unofficial role. I think the biggest reluctance that Davis will have is putting in place a rookie HC and rookie GM. I think he will want to support both with what he has called before "a strong football mind". I think Marvin fits that role in terms of guidance and assistance to AP perfectly having a wealth of HC experience and the relationship with AP already.

Graham at DC is only third in my confidence level because of the possibility of him getting hired as a HC elsewhere. If this does not happen, Graham will be back.

Putting Champ as the GM makes sense. He was highly respected while with the Bears and his time with the Donkeys. We interviewed him before hiring Zeigler which apparently was a packaged deal with McD. We liked him enough to poach him and make him the AGM. While he has been with us there have been some missed and some hits on roster decisions. The misses and fumbles largely seem to have had McD's stench over them but at the same time it is hard to say how much credit he gets for moves like drafting Parham and Tre, free agent add of Spillane, and the claiming of Jones as some examples.

Now we are getting into the territory of making long guesses more than anything. For OC, I think a prerequisite that Davis will put on hiring AP is that the OC be someone with a wealth of experience and I believe, a resume that includes HC on it. The two that fit that for me is Frank Reich and Kingsbury. I am giving Kingsbury the go ahead on my prediction for a few reasons. First, the rumors are already out there that this is a strong possibility if we retain AP. Second, he has a long history in many different places of getting good offensive production from his QB's and offenses. His record as a HC is not very good but he does have some experience there to bring to the table. Third, this fits the trend of younger offensive minds that is kind of the rage in the NFL.

Mentioned earlier, I think Davis will make it a point to bring in experienced football minds to support, mentor and help Champ and AP. For AP, I think that is Marvin. I think that the Raiders will hire a new "President of Football Operations" to be that person on the front office side. How much power or the role exactly is, that is hard to say but I think it is going to be about bringing in someone that has that team building perspective. I am the least confident about this prediction because it is somewhat a shot in the dark for first creating the position and then who would fill it. Pete Carroll is older and though it is said he wanted to keep coaching with the Seahawks, maybe moving to the executive role would be more appealing to him now. I am not seeing any rumors of him being tied to any other teams right now for HC. One fun fact is that Pete actually had the title of "President of Football Operations" at Seattle. He is a winner with both National Championship and Super Bowl wins on his resume. I went back and forth with him and Tom Coughlin as well. Tom has the football mind and some experience doing a similar role with the Jags for a few years. He further has already been involved in the mentoring of AP when he took over as well. Tom actually may be the smarter choice here but I felt like if I am going to make some predictions at least one of them has to be kind of 'wow' and Pete feels like that to me.

There you go. Our new Las Vegas Raiders heading into next year.

Zero chance Philly fires Sirianni. I was thinking though, that I wouldn't be opposed to McCarthy in an OC role. Veteran guy, offensive design/playcalling has never been the issue in Dallas. Keep him far far away from actually preparing human beings to get motivated, but I see a quality X's and O's compliment to what AP would bring emotionally.
Zero? I think there is more of a chance than zero but yea, I think it would be a bit on the shocking side than the expected side. Now, if McCarthy keeps his job in Dallas.... that WILL shock me. Dead man walking and then Jerry will go hard after Belicheat.

Zero? I think there is more of a chance than zero but yea, I think it would be a bit on the shocking side than the expected side. Now, if McCarthy keeps his job in Dallas.... that WILL shock me. Dead man walking and then Jerry will go hard after Belicheat.
palpatine going after harbaugh and giving him more money than anyone else is on the table as well.

palpatine going after harbaugh and giving him more money than anyone else is on the table as well.
Yea, but Belicheat feels like that Palpatine move.

Here is my prediction on what we do.... putting it down to be laughed at or awed at later.

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham

Hear me out here.

By order of how confident I am in the prediction, we start at HC. No matter what Davis wanted to do, I think at this point he really honestly has no choice but to hire AP. The fans, the players, the alumni, the media are all very loud and very emphatic about AP getting the job. Davis showed his willingness to listen to the fanbase as I am not sure if McD would have been fired when he was without the fanbase rising up. On top of that, Davis said that he would like to retain AP and I think AP showed enough for that to remain.

Marvin Lewis in some sort of advisor role essentially to continue to mentor AP. Marvin was already doing this in an unofficial role. I think the biggest reluctance that Davis will have is putting in place a rookie HC and rookie GM. I think he will want to support both with what he has called before "a strong football mind". I think Marvin fits that role in terms of guidance and assistance to AP perfectly having a wealth of HC experience and the relationship with AP already.

Graham at DC is only third in my confidence level because of the possibility of him getting hired as a HC elsewhere. If this does not happen, Graham will be back.

Putting Champ as the GM makes sense. He was highly respected while with the Bears and his time with the Donkeys. We interviewed him before hiring Zeigler which apparently was a packaged deal with McD. We liked him enough to poach him and make him the AGM. While he has been with us there have been some missed and some hits on roster decisions. The misses and fumbles largely seem to have had McD's stench over them but at the same time it is hard to say how much credit he gets for moves like drafting Parham and Tre, free agent add of Spillane, and the claiming of Jones as some examples.

Now we are getting into the territory of making long guesses more than anything. For OC, I think a prerequisite that Davis will put on hiring AP is that the OC be someone with a wealth of experience and I believe, a resume that includes HC on it. The two that fit that for me is Frank Reich and Kingsbury. I am giving Kingsbury the go ahead on my prediction for a few reasons. First, the rumors are already out there that this is a strong possibility if we retain AP. Second, he has a long history in many different places of getting good offensive production from his QB's and offenses. His record as a HC is not very good but he does have some experience there to bring to the table. Third, this fits the trend of younger offensive minds that is kind of the rage in the NFL.

Mentioned earlier, I think Davis will make it a point to bring in experienced football minds to support, mentor and help Champ and AP. For AP, I think that is Marvin. I think that the Raiders will hire a new "President of Football Operations" to be that person on the front office side. How much power or the role exactly is, that is hard to say but I think it is going to be about bringing in someone that has that team building perspective. I am the least confident about this prediction because it is somewhat a shot in the dark for first creating the position and then who would fill it. Pete Carroll is older and though it is said he wanted to keep coaching with the Seahawks, maybe moving to the executive role would be more appealing to him now. I am not seeing any rumors of him being tied to any other teams right now for HC. One fun fact is that Pete actually had the title of "President of Football Operations" at Seattle. He is a winner with both National Championship and Super Bowl wins on his resume. I went back and forth with him and Tom Coughlin as well. Tom has the football mind and some experience doing a similar role with the Jags for a few years. He further has already been involved in the mentoring of AP when he took over as well. Tom actually may be the smarter choice here but I felt like if I am going to make some predictions at least one of them has to be kind of 'wow' and Pete feels like that to me.

Can we email this to Mark Davis and get him thinking like the fans think???

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham

Hear me out here.

Sure, send it over to your cousin, he will know what to do.

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham

Hear me out here.

No way, he would probably send it as a strip- 0 - gram and screw it up

I am sold on AP.

Not at all sold on Champ Kelly. I have no idea what he has or has not done the past two years. For all we know, he vouched for signing The Grop and a slew of other awful McZiegler moves. Cough, puke, Chan Jones.

That said, I am open to a GM that coach AP wants, including Champ K.

My gut does say that neither Champ, nor Pat Graham are worth two 3rd-round picks. If either is offered a HC or GM gig, Godspeed. Emphasis on speed.

AP, OTOH, at this moment, at least... **** dem picks!

I am sold on AP.

Not at all sold on Champ Kelly. I have no idea what he has or has not done the past two years. For all we know, he vouched for signing The Grop and a slew of other awful McZiegler moves. Cough, puke, Chan Jones.

If Champ had anything to do with the JimmyG and Chandler Jones signings I would think he would’ve been fired with the rest of them. But who really knows the inter workings of a front office, especially one that has been so unstable as the Raiders’.
One thing we do know is along with AP he was responsible for bringing in Jack Jones who might possibly be the best boundary corner this team has had in the past 10-15 years.

I think it was already announced that Pete Carroll was staying in the Seahawks organisation. I could be wrong about that...

Today HAS to be the day something is announced with the Raiders right? They have satisfied the Rooney Rule for both the GM and HC spot now.

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham

Hear me out here.

Following the idea of the Marvin Lewis mentorship of AP, which totally makes sense. Have to wonder if that coaching tree isn't where AP goes for an OC. AP doesn't have that coaching tree history like many other HCs in the league. So he needs to try to break new ground with that regard. Would make sense to me that he'd leverage Marvin Lewis' relationships and contacts to find the next OC

Overview of Raiders cap situation, potential moves:

NOTABLE PENDING UFAS​

QUARTERBACK
Bubble: Jimmy Garoppolo

RUNNING BACK Josh Jacobs, Ameer Abdullah

WIDE RECEIVERS
Bubble: Hunter Renfrow

TIGHT ENDS
Austin Hooper

OFFENSIVE LINE
Andre James, Jermaine Eluemunor, Greg Van Roten
Bubble: Jason Kelce (retirement)

DEFENSIVE LINE
Bilal Nichols, John Jenkins, Adam Butler
Bubble: Jerry Tillery

EDGE DEFENDERS
None.

LINEBACKERS
None.

SECONDARY
Amik Robertson (CB)

SPECIAL TEAMS
None.

CAP CLEARING POSSIBILITIES​

• Designate QB Jimmy Garoppolo a Post 6/1 release, freeing up $12.1M of cap after June 1st.
  • Process a full base salary conversion on WR Davante Adams, freeing up $12.5M of cap when factoring in 2 void years
  • Process a full base salary + $5.5M roster bonus conversion on WR Jakobi Meyers, freeing up $7.5M of cap when factoring in 3 void years.
  • Release WR Hunter Renfrow, freeing up $8.1M of cap
  • Extend OT Kolton Miller, lowering his current $15.6M cap hit in 2024. Miller projects toward a 3 year, $60M extension in our system.
  • Process a full base salary conversion on DE Maxx Crosby, freeing up $14.3M of cap when factoring in 2 void years
  • Release DT Jerry Tillery, freeing up $3.8M of cap
  • Extend S Marcus Epps, lowering his current $7.3M cap hit. Epps projects toward a 3 year, $23M extension in our system.

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham

Hear me out here.

No way, he would probably send it as a strip- 0 - gram and screw it up
That's actually a good idea... wanna go in on it?

I am sold on AP.

If Champ had anything to do with the JimmyG and Chandler Jones signings I would think he would’ve been fired with the rest of them. But who really knows the inter workings of a front office, especially one that has been so unstable as the Raiders’.
One thing we do know is along with AP he was responsible for bringing in Jack Jones who might possibly be the best boundary corner this team has had in the past 10-15 years.
Jimmy G and Jones had McD written all over it. I think I remember even Zeigler not really wanting to do either move.

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham

Hear me out here.

Following the idea of the Marvin Lewis mentorship of AP, which totally makes sense. Have to wonder if that coaching tree isn't where AP goes for an OC. AP doesn't have that coaching tree history like many other HCs in the league. So he needs to try to break new ground with that regard. Would make sense to me that he'd leverage Marvin Lewis' relationships and contacts to find the next OC
I like AP cause he isn't a retread. I get why he would have a Marvin Lewis type around as an advisor, but I'm not looking to bring in any of his old guard for OC. I'd rather a young up and comer. I understand why people would suggest a old steady hand, but I'd rather take a shot on someone new.

GM- Champ Kelly
HC- AP
OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Graham

Hear me out here.

I like AP cause he isn't a retread. I get why he would have a Marvin Lewis type around as an advisor, but I'm not looking to bring in any of his old guard for OC. I'd rather a young up and comer. I understand why people would suggest a old steady hand, but I'd rather take a shot on someone new.
I think the push will be to get someone on the staff with HC experience to continue to give AP support from experience around him. I really think the OC will have had HC especially if we do retain Graham as DC but I also think that AP will lean towards 'younger' which is why I settled on Kliff as my prediction.

Raiders still making roster moves

The Las Vegas Raiders continue to focus on their general manager search but interim general manager Champ Kelly technically still has a job to do. While real free agency doesn’t start until March 13, teams can sign players who weren’t on NFL rosters to end the season.

The Raiders are getting ahead of some signings and announced on January 16 that they’ve signed offensive guard Ben Brown, safety Tyreque Jones and running back Tyreik McAllister.

Defensive tackles under contract for next season: Jerry Tillery and Byron Young. And we can save 3 mill if we cut Tillery.

Lot of new faces next year on the DL.

Raiders reporters, who neer have scoops, are all making it pretty clear they think it's Champ and AP.

Seems like a "worst kept secret" at this point.

Raiders reporters, who neer have scoops, are all making it pretty clear they think it's Champ and AP.

Seems like a "worst kept secret" at this point.
Having them represent the Raiders during the MLK jr Day parade was a pretty big tell in my opinion. That would be pretty cold if they were let go just days after doing that. I’m pretty sure they’re locks for their jobs.

So far, the biggest loss of the offseason from a coaching standpoint was offensive coordinator Carmen Bricillo. But according to a report this week, the Raiders weren’t necessarily placing a premium on Bricillo’s services going forward.

“He wasn’t a favorite of players in Las Vegas, according to multiple sources,” ESPN’s Jordan Raanan reported on Thursday. “There were questions about his coaching techniques, and the Raiders didn’t exactly put up a fight to retain his services, given his connection to coach Josh McDaniels, who was fired Oct. 31.”

So far, the biggest loss of the offseason from a coaching standpoint was offensive coordinator Carmen Bricillo. But according to a report this week, the Raiders weren’t necessarily placing a premium on Bricillo’s services going forward.

“He wasn’t a favorite of players in Las Vegas, according to multiple sources,” ESPN’s Jordan Raanan reported on Thursday. “There were questions about his coaching techniques, and the Raiders didn’t exactly put up a fight to retain his services, given his connection to coach Josh McDaniels, who was fired Oct. 31.”
OL coach for clarification.

Not surprised. The offense is getting overhauled no matter what. From personnel to scheme, Oline, you name it, it will be nothing like last season. When you lose 0-3 in a dome, things must change drastically.

Not disrespecting what Belichick has accomplished over his career, but I'm very thankful he isn't (likely) going to be the Raiders HC. I can't name another person who I hate watching during interviews more than him.

I am pretty confident we will see a whole new offensive staff next year.

Not disrespecting what Belichick has accomplished over his career, but I'm very thankful he isn't (likely) going to be the Raiders HC. I can't name another person who I hate watching during interviews more than him.
It would be delicious if the Falcons just continue to suck.

I couldn't see us going that direction. Can you imagine, going from "you suck at this detail and that detail, are you dumb?" coaching which the team imploded to being energized and empowered by AP to go back to the originator of the "you suck at this detail and that detail, are you dumb?" coaching style? We very well could have seen the first ever team strike.

They've interviewed two minority HC candidates now, correct?

If so, what is the hold up at this point in announcing the hiring of head coach AP?

Users who are viewing this thread