What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - waiting to see some football! (6 Viewers)

Do we really need a new Raider thread every year? Why not just have a running Raider thread? I always find myself trying to monitor Raider posts in two different threads this time each year. Just a thought and a post to mark this thread.
I mostly do it just to post The Autumn Wind again. If more prefer it I can just update thread title going foward (but I am still posting The Autumn Wind every new season).
I can never get enough Autumn Wind. No objection to however many times that is posted.

Yeah, I always thought the new-thread-per-year approach was because we’re one of the most active team threads on the board, so it gets reeeeeally long by the end of the season each year.

and I mostly only typed this reply just to keep this 2024 thread at the top for the other regular posters to see :)

The year we win the Super Bowl we have to keep that thread going right. A new one might be bad luck.
Well kind of. I think the main reason I keep making new ones is along these lines. I'm like "omg, f this year, hope next is better" so the old thread needs to be flushed too. Plus Autumn Wind.

I don't want to lose Graham but if he is hired as a Head Coach somewhere at least we get 2 3rd round picks, one this year and one next year.

Do we really need a new Raider thread every year? Why not just have a running Raider thread? I always find myself trying to monitor Raider posts in two different threads this time each year. Just a thought and a post to mark this thread.
I mostly do it just to post The Autumn Wind again. If more prefer it I can just update thread title going foward (but I am still posting The Autumn Wind every new season).
I can never get enough Autumn Wind. No objection to however many times that is posted.
Amen! I'm a child of the 70s whose dad was a Raiders fan. I can read the words "Autumn Wind" and immediately hear John Facenda & picture the NFL Films video. FWIW, I've been here a long time & thought every team thread updated yearly :shrug:

49ers Asst GM Adam Peters, Colts Asst GM Ed Dodds, and former Chargers GM Tom Telesco all lined up to interview for our GM role.

If Telesco isn't allowed to pick the HC that might not be so bad. They Dolts have made good roster moves while he was in control just had a really bad HC.

Charles Woodson says Antonio Pierce has brought back something this organization has been missing for a long time
I agree completely and it is why I want him as my top pick... even over me previous "please, please, please hire him" pick in Harbaugh.

Charles Woodson says Antonio Pierce has brought back something this organization has been missing for a long time
I agree completely and it is why I want him as my top pick... even over me previous "please, please, please hire him" pick in Harbaugh.
I’m going to be disappointed if AP isn’t the HC. It will be yet another mistake by Davis and probably cause some fans to walk away or at least care less about the team. I know I will definitely lose interest in the team.

CWood’s opinions have to have a lot of weight with Mark Davis, right?
It seems to me that the players, fanbase and alumni are overwhelmingly clamoring for AP. I don't see how you can ignore them all.

Holy crap what did the put in the water in University Heights in the early 1990's????

Telesco is married to Larah, and they have three children.[7] Telesco is a friend of David Caldwell, who served as the general manager for the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2013 to 2020. The two knew each other from their days at St. Francis High School, John Carroll University as well as when they were Colts executives. When he was playing for the Blue Streaks football team he was also teammates with Chris Polian and Greg Roman. The 1995 squad also included Josh McDaniels, Nick Caserio and London Fletcher.[8]

The Raiders have yet to make any interview requests for coaches employed by other NFL teams. They have received one, as the Chargers asked to talk to defensive coordinator Patrick Graham about their head coaching vacancy.

Graham, who transformed the Raiders’ defense into a top-10 unit this season, is expected to draw interest from multiple teams.

Teams seeking new general managers could request permission to interview candidates from other clubs Monday.

Much like the head coach interview process, teams with general manager vacancies are required to conduct in-person interviews with at least two external candidates who are persons of color and/or women.

The Raiders, thus far, have requested interviews with Colts assistant general manager Ed Dodds, 49ers assistant general manager Adam Peters, Bengals senior personnel executive Trey Brown and Bills director of player personnel Terrance Gray.

It won't be popular, but sign me up for some Russell Wilson in 2024. We can probably force DEN to pay us to take him since we'd pick up his $39M 2024 guaranteed money so their hit would only be $46M or so. We'd have to get him to rework the contract to not guarantee 2025's salary so early, but Russ knows he won't get that on his next deal anyway if DEN cuts him so he'll probably be willing to work it out. Here's what I would do if I were them:

Russ' has $39M in 2024 guaranteed, can't do much about that. But that's not a scary number in today's QB market and they can work on the structure
Russ has a $37M 2025 salary that's fully guaranteed against injury (but otherwise zero guarantee). This is DEN's sticking point. Right now they can get out of it but they're hosed if he gets hurt.

What we could do is say ok Russ, we'll give you $35M on day one as a signing bonus and a $4M salary for 2024. We nuke that injury guarantee, instead make it $10M fully guaranteed right now and $30M guarantee on the 5th day of the 2025 league year. Repeat that strucutre for a couple years. He gets way more money up front on day one, some money fully guaranteed in 2025, and the chance to fully guarantee 2025 if he plays well. This would only be $11M cap hit for 2024 while we eat that Jimmy Grapes dead money and $47M for 2025 (and perhaps beyond).

Russ isn't cooked. He's not SuperBowl Russ but he's still way better than what we have now and at $40M he's an economical bridge to whatever is long term. He could have 4-5 more years left even. And if he's our 2023 QB we're in the playoffs. We definitely beat MIN, we likely beat IND and PIT/LAC/MIA/DET are different conversations with competent QB play. We only had three games all year we lost by more than one possession and one was the CHI debacle with Hoyer.

Mark me down as a no on Russ. I absolutely would not trade for him. If the Broncos cut him then maybe I'd consider since he will probably play next year for league minimum since if he's cut the Broncos are on the hook for paying him already. Whoever he signs with next year just gets offset of what Broncos are paying him. I've been saying this for a long time - The way to be mediocre or bad is to pay average QBs a large portion of your salary cap. If you find a difference maker at QB I'm all for paying up. Until then stop overspending on the Carrs and the Jimmy Gs and the like.

The Raiders have yet to make any interview requests for coaches employed by other NFL teams. They have received one, as the Chargers asked to talk to defensive coordinator Patrick Graham about their head coaching vacancy.

Graham, who transformed the Raiders’ defense into a top-10 unit this season, is expected to draw interest from multiple teams.

Teams seeking new general managers could request permission to interview candidates from other clubs Monday.

Much like the head coach interview process, teams with general manager vacancies are required to conduct in-person interviews with at least two external candidates who are persons of color and/or women.

The Raiders, thus far, have requested interviews with Colts assistant general manager Ed Dodds, 49ers assistant general manager Adam Peters, Bengals senior personnel executive Trey Brown and Bills director of player personnel Terrance Gray.
Makes sense that Davis is conducting his GM interviews first. Especially if his plan is to allow the new GM to hire the new HC.

Strange things going on with the Giants that are affecting the Raiders too. DC Martindale suddenly resigned and now they say they would hire AP as DC if he doesn’t get the HC gig in Vegas. They’re also interviewing Raiders Oline coach Dante Scarneccia (sp?) for the same position.
As for Graham and the Chargers, he’s definitely earned his interviews and deserves to be seriously considered but I’m sure it’s to satisfy the Rooney Rule. I would be shocked if Graham gets a HC job with guys like Harbaugh and Vrabel out there.

It won't be popular, but sign me up for some Russell Wilson in 2024. We can probably force DEN to pay us to take him since we'd pick up his $39M 2024 guaranteed money so their hit would only be $46M or so. We'd have to get him to rework the contract to not guarantee 2025's salary so early, but Russ knows he won't get that on his next deal anyway if DEN cuts him so he'll probably be willing to work it out. Here's what I would do if I were them:

Russ' has $39M in 2024 guaranteed, can't do much about that. But that's not a scary number in today's QB market and they can work on the structure
Russ has a $37M 2025 salary that's fully guaranteed against injury (but otherwise zero guarantee). This is DEN's sticking point. Right now they can get out of it but they're hosed if he gets hurt.

What we could do is say ok Russ, we'll give you $35M on day one as a signing bonus and a $4M salary for 2024. We nuke that injury guarantee, instead make it $10M fully guaranteed right now and $30M guarantee on the 5th day of the 2025 league year. Repeat that strucutre for a couple years. He gets way more money up front on day one, some money fully guaranteed in 2025, and the chance to fully guarantee 2025 if he plays well. This would only be $11M cap hit for 2024 while we eat that Jimmy Grapes dead money and $47M for 2025 (and perhaps beyond).

Russ isn't cooked. He's not SuperBowl Russ but he's still way better than what we have now and at $40M he's an economical bridge to whatever is long term. He could have 4-5 more years left even. And if he's our 2023 QB we're in the playoffs. We definitely beat MIN, we likely beat IND and PIT/LAC/MIA/DET are different conversations with competent QB play. We only had three games all year we lost by more than one possession and one was the CHI debacle with Hoyer.
DEN is on the hook for his 24 salary. The contract does contain offset language. If they cut him, which seems likely (a trade would be a shock), he collects 39 mill from DEN, less whatever he signs for elsewhere. A team can sign him for 1.3 mill, and he makes 39 mill next year, but only 1.2 mill is on the new team's books.

If I had to guess right now, I think he gets cut, some other team signs him to a minimum deal for 24, and he collects 37.8 mill from DEN.

The question then becomes what kind of deal for further years will he want. Because I don't think Wilson is signing a one year minimum deal with no future guarantees.

Language isn't clear on whether or not Champ getting hired as GM elsewhere would net comp pick(s), since he is interim GM here... Again, I would guess the NFL would rule against the Raiders to set the precedent.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. *The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club.* There can be no break in employment between clubs.

DEN is on the hook for his 24 salary. The contract does contain offset language. If they cut him, which seems likely (a trade would be a shock), he collects 39 mill from DEN, less whatever he signs for elsewhere. A team can sign him for 1.3 mill, and he makes 39 mill next year, but only 1.2 mill is on the new team's books.
That's exactly what I said, nothing is going to change the fact he's getting $39M next year. What we could affect is how it's paid and how 2025 is handled. We could work both of those into a middle ground.

Mark me down as a no on Russ. I absolutely would not trade for him. If the Broncos cut him then maybe I'd consider since he will probably play next year for league minimum since if he's cut the Broncos are on the hook for paying him already. Whoever he signs with next year just gets offset of what Broncos are paying him. I've been saying this for a long time - The way to be mediocre or bad is to pay average QBs a large portion of your salary cap. If you find a difference maker at QB I'm all for paying up. Until then stop overspending on the Carrs and the Jimmy Gs and the like.
Russ is well above average even now. 66.4% completion ratio. 26 TD to 8 INT, 98 rating which was 8th in the NFL - behind Mason Rudolph's very small sample size and Cousins/Brownings' half season.

To add to the chart comparing AOC to Carr (not that this is a valid benchmark, it just shows how much of an upgrade he would have been):

RkPlayerAgeFromToGGSCmpAttIncCmp%YdsTDIntPick6TD%Int%RateSkYds
23​
2014​
2014​
16​
16​
348​
599​
251​
58.1​
3270​
21​
12​
1​
3.5​
2​
76.6​
24​
149​
25​
2023​
2023​
10​
9​
193​
312​
119​
61.9​
1974​
10​
7​
0​
3.2​
2.2​
81.3​
22​
159​
Russell Wlson​
2023​
2023​
15​
15​
297​
447​
150​
66.4​
3070​
26​
8​
N/A​
5.8​
1.8​
98.7​
45​
258​

5.8% TD is top 5 type number and 1.8% TD is top 10, and that's with a pretty bad OL giving up 45 sacks to a relatively mobile QB.

An above average QB gets us into the playoffs with a legit D that can dominate any individual game we play.

I think I have a little JJ MCCarthy bandwagon developing
As a raging Buckeye fan I am terrified of this (and Harbaugh) happening. As a raging Raider fan I would be all over this (and Harbaugh) happening. I don't wanna fight myself for the next 4+ years (although the tequila shots will be fun).

Gimmie Shedeur Sanders and AP instead and I'm ecstatic.

That's exactly what I said, nothing is going to change the fact he's getting $39M next year. What we could affect is how it's paid and how 2025 is handled. We could work both of those into a middle ground.

Russ is well above average even now. 66.4% completion ratio. 26 TD to 8 INT, 98 rating which was 8th in the NFL - behind Mason Rudolph's very small sample size and Cousins/Brownings' half season.

To add to the chart comparing AOC to Carr (not that this is a valid benchmark, it just shows how much of an upgrade he would have been):

23​
2014​
2014​
16​
16​
348​
599​
251​
58.1​
3270​
21​
12​
1​
3.5​
2​
76.6​
24​
149​
25​
2023​
2023​
10​
9​
193​
312​
119​
61.9​
1974​
10​
7​
0​
3.2​
2.2​
81.3​
22​
159​
Russell Wlson​
2023​
2023​
15​
15​
297​
447​
150​
66.4​
3070​
26​
8​
N/A​
5.8​
1.8​
98.7​
45​
258​

5.8% TD is top 5 type number and 1.8% TD is top 10, and that's with a pretty bad OL giving up 45 sacks to a relatively mobile QB.

An above average QB gets us into the playoffs with a legit D that can dominate any individual game we play.
I’d be fine with Russ, especially if it means sticking it to the Donkeys twice a year. A QB room of Russ, AOC and whoever (possible rook) is much more promising going into a season instead of an injured, washed up Grop, Hoyer and rookie AOC for dang sure.

Language isn't clear on whether or not Champ getting hired as GM elsewhere would net comp pick(s), since he is interim GM here... Again, I would guess the NFL would rule against the Raiders to set the precedent.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. *The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club.* There can be no break in employment between clubs.
Based on the updated Rooney Rule guidelines, the Raiders would be eligible for draft-pick compensation if another team hired Kelly as its general manager.

Vincent Bonsignore at vbonsignore@reviewjournal.com. Follow @VinnyBonsignore on X.

Just passing on what has been reported by LVRJ. I think the interim tag is the difference.

66.4% completion ratio. 26 TD to 8 INT, 98 rating which was 8th in the NFL

And how did his 2022 stats without Sean Payton look?

Hard NO to committing anything other than vet minimum $$$ and placeholder or backup status to @DangeRuss Wilson. He is the epitome of the type of QB personality that the new AP-Raiders brand of football does not need.

He is the epitome of the type of QB personality that the new AP-Raiders brand of football does not need.
You're gonna have to defend this statement. First off, we don't even know if the "AP-Raiders brand" is going to continue. Second, what "QB personality" has Wilson ever displayed that's not all in on winning football games?

I think the interim tag is the difference.
100%. The entire point of the interim tag is to differentiate it from the actual position. If you're a bride-to-be, you're not a bride. They couldn't make him the actual GM even if they wanted to until the Rooney Rule is satisfied, so no way he would be excluded from compensation.

Just passing on what has been reported by LVRJ. I think the interim tag is the difference.

I posted the actual NFL rule language in the post you quoted. There is room there for interpretation by the NFL - and ultimately a ruling on whether or not Interim-GM counts the same as actual GM. I don't think there's been a prior precedent set, and like I keep saying, since this is the Raiders, I could easily seeing the NFL deciding that iGM and GM are the same, and thus, no comp picks awarded.

Vinny Bonsignore (a journalist) is assuming that iGM and GM would be considered different. Until we hear that from someone quoting an actual NFL spokesperson, it's more conjecture and opinion than fact.

iGM and GM would be considered different. Until we hear that from someone quoting an actual NFL spokesperson, it's more conjecture and opinion than fact.
They didn't comply with the Rooney Rule when giving him the (interim) duties, so by definition he cannot be the actual Primary Football Executive.

He is the epitome of the type of QB personality that the new AP-Raiders brand of football does not need.
You're gonna have to defend this statement. First off, we don't even know if the "AP-Raiders brand" is going to continue. Second, what "QB personality" has Wilson ever displayed that's not all in on winning football games?

Wilson is a known diva QB, who has annoyed teammates and coaches for years. He fell flat on his face in 2022 and then Sean Payton resurrected his corpse this season, until he too, got tired of Russ and Carr'd him to end the season.

iGM and GM would be considered different. Until we hear that from someone quoting an actual NFL spokesperson, it's more conjecture and opinion than fact.
They didn't comply with the Rooney Rule when giving him the duties, so by definition he cannot be the actual Primary Football Executive.

You could be right. I'm not saying anything absolutely. Only thing I am sure of, is if there is room in the language for the NFL to screw the Raiders, they will. And that the actual Rooney Rule does not distinguish between iGM and GM.

Here are the Raiders’ UFAs:

Only guys I'd look to re-sign would be Jacobs, Van Roten, Jenkins and Butler; maybe Amik. And out of those five, only Jacobs for more than a minor deal. There will be ~$80 MM in free cap once Grop and Frow are cut. Spend wisely elsewhere, and Jacobs could easily be brought back - assuming he isn't sulky and wants to recommit to this team.

Josh Jacobs
RB
Ameer Abdullah
RB
Brandon Bolden
RB
Jakob Johnson
FB
DeAndre Carter
WR
Austin Hooper
TE
Jesper Horsted
TE
Greg Van Roten
G
Andre James
C
Hroniss Grasu
C
Jermaine Eluemunor
OT
Bilal Nichols
DL
John Jenkins
DL
Adam Butler
DL
Curtis Bolton
LB
Amik Robertson
CB

Here's an interesting wrinkle from The Athletic. I didn't realize Miller was benched to end the season...

It hasn’t been discussed often, but the future of left tackle Kolton Miller is also worth monitoring. Miller regressed in 2023, missed four games due to injury and spent two more games on the bench behind Thayer Munford despite being healthy and available. If the Raiders were to trade or cut Miller, they would take a $6.75 million dead-money hit in 2024 and free up $8.9 million in cap space.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Graham get hired as a HC elsewhere and the Raiders get two 3rd rounders in return. Assuming Mork doesn't trip up again, and actually does re-hire AP, Marvin Lewis would be the obvious and very-capable replacement. Then if Marv leaves in a year or two to become a HC somewhere, in come two more 3rds.

The Niners have been tapping into this minority-coach development honey pot for years. Would like to see the Raiders take use the same blueprint.

Here's an interesting wrinkle from The Athletic. I didn't realize Miller was benched to end the season...

It hasn’t been discussed often, but the future of left tackle Kolton Miller is also worth monitoring. Miller regressed in 2023, missed four games due to injury and spent two more games on the bench behind Thayer Munford despite being healthy and available. If the Raiders were to trade or cut Miller, they would take a $6.75 million dead-money hit in 2024 and free up $8.9 million in cap space.
I don't think that's a benching so much as getting a look at Munford. Miller's been a stalwart at a critical position for a long time, they aren't going to walk away from that history. His contract is super team-friendly as well (relative to past performance). He'd have to be really awful for longer than 1/2 an unhealthy season for us to move on from him. But I like the words "worth monitoring" the author used - keep an eye on, don't panic.

23​
2014​
2014​
16​
16​
348​
599​
251​
58.1​
3270​
21​
12​
1​
3.5​
2​
76.6​
24​
149​
25​
2023​
2023​
10​
9​
193​
312​
119​
61.9​
1974​
10​
7​
0​
3.2​
2.2​
81.3​
22​
159​
Russell Wlson​
2023​
2023​
15​
15​
297​
447​
150​
66.4​
3070​
26​
8​
N/A​
5.8​
1.8​
98.7​
45​
258​

We will have to disagree as I don't think Russ is well above average. I watched him play a lot the last two years and I didn't see a difference maker. He was good at times and horrible at others. Also, his last two teams have been happy to get rid of him. I agree he's an upgrade over AOC, but he's not the type of guy I'm looking to tie up a significant percentage of my cap in.

Titans requested an interview with Raiders interim head coach Antonio Pierce for their head coaching vacancy.
Pierce took over after Josh McDaniels was fired midseason and immediately began to turn things around. He coached the team to a 5-4 record to close the year and has been unanimously supported to be the team’s future head coach by his players. Not only does he have a shot at removing the interim tag from his title in Las Vegas, but the Raiders may now have some competition for his services. Having fired Mike Vrabel after two consecutive losing seasons, the Titans are also in need of a new boss.

I just saw AP getting an interview with the Titans.

We declined a request from another team (I don't think the report said who) to interview Graham for a DC role.

Users who are viewing this thread

• ZADO