What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (10 Viewers)

Just like luck plays a big part in fantasy football it also plays a big part in real football. But whether a GM chooses a good player at the end of the 1st round or at the end of the 7th round, I'm still going to give him credit for doing something the other 31 GMs didn't do.

We must pay Goff. There is no way around it. What Holmes said yesterday has me a bit concerned.
The window is small. In a few years many good young players on this roster will be a due a raise.

I don't want to hear about building. The building was accelerated with how well they did this year.
Now is the time to go get a dominant pass rusher. Trade that 1st rounder for a DE or a corner that will make a difference.

Just sucks the draft is in Detroit this year. lol.

The window is not small. As long as we have Brad bringing in quality players in the draft and have Dan running the show getting everything out of that talent, we will be putting out real contenders. It always takes a bit of luck to make it to the Super Bowl, but this team will be kicking people in the teeth for years to come.
That sounds like something Dan Campbell would say.

Windows are tiny in the NFL. The process is intentionally designed that way. The only way to trick the boogey man is with an elite QB.

The Lions are between a rock and a hard place with a guy like Goff at the helm (and having to pay him, no less). It's kinda like bringing a knife to a gun fight the way the NFL is currently landscaped with the best teams in the NFL having top QBs and also strong Ds.

It depends on what kind of window we are talking about.

Playoff windows can be open for decades with a good coach and gm, but it doesn't mean they are super bowl caliber teams.

Super bowl windows are usually 2 to 5 years and the Lions just started theirs. If you want to cheat that window you need an all time great qb like Mahomes, Brady, Manning. Goff is good, but he isn't all time good.

We must pay Goff. There is no way around it. What Holmes said yesterday has me a bit concerned.
The window is small. In a few years many good young players on this roster will be a due a raise.

I don't want to hear about building. The building was accelerated with how well they did this year.
Now is the time to go get a dominant pass rusher. Trade that 1st rounder for a DE or a corner that will make a difference.

The window is not small. As long as we have Brad bringing in quality players in the draft and have Dan running the show getting everything out of that talent, we will be putting out real contenders. It always takes a bit of luck to make it to the Super Bowl, but this team will be kicking people in the teeth for years to come.

Windows are tiny in the NFL. The process is intentionally designed that way. The only way to trick the boogey man is with an elite QB.

The Lions are between a rock and a hard place with a guy like Goff at the helm (and having to pay him, no less). It's kinda like bringing a knife to a gun fight the way the NFL is currently landscaped with the best teams in the NFL having top QBs and also strong Ds.

Now you came from the Goff thread to the Lions thread to bash Goff?

I'd say that Goff stole his girlfriend but we all know that didn't happen.

Not probably hurt his fantasy team a few years ago.

Good one, LOL.

Not really bashing Goff. He's using almost all of his physical headroom (or upside). In that sense, I'm complimenting him.

The serious talk is centered around the decision to extend Goff, what to pay him, and if he's the type of QB to be able to lead a team to a title. If I'm bashing anyone, it's the Lions. This isn't a guy like Mahomes, where you want to lock him up as soon as possible.

I see comments like it's a foregone conclusion "we have to pay him now". No...that's not the case. What are the Lions worried about? See what Goff does next year against a 1st place schedule, see how Hooker develops, then pay him if you absolutely have to.

Last edited:

Playoff windows can be open for decades with a good coach and gm, but it doesn't mean they are super bowl caliber teams.

Super bowl windows are usually 2 to 5 years and the Lions just started theirs. If you want to cheat that window you need an all time great qb like Mahomes, Brady, Manning. Goff is good, but he isn't all time good.
Playoff windows last decades? LOL. Either way, the idea is to win a title. I don't think Detroit cares too much about just making the playoffs other than the obvious (that it's a lot better than not making the playoffs).

Otherwise, that's pretty much what I said (more or less).

Not probably hurt his fantasy team a few years ago.
Nah. That said, he does have more help than any QB in the NFL save maybe Purdy. Goff is going to put up some numbers.

Unfortunately, magic football doesn't translate 1:1 to the real world.

He's just a butthurt Cowboys fan. How bout dem cowboys?
LOL. I give Detroit fans some rope. They've been bad so long, it's understandable to be super-pumped about their team. I totally get it.

It takes awhile to let everything soak in, especially after a tough loss. You guys will eventually become more stable (not as up and down) as you get used to winning, assuming the Lions continue their current path. You'll learn to ride it out more evenly and be more open to criticism as you go in and out of windows.

It's all part of the process.

Last edited:

Good one, LOL.

Not really bashing Goff. He's using almost all of his physical headroom (or upside). In that sense, I'm complimenting him.

The serious talk is centered around the decision to extend Goff, what to pay him, and if he's the type of QB to be able to lead a team to a title. If I'm bashing anyone, it's the Lions. This isn't a guy like Mahomes, where you want to lock him up as soon as possible.

I see comments like it's a foregone conclusion "we have to pay him now". No...that's not the case. What are the Lions worried about? See what Goff does next year against a 1st place schedule, see how Hooker develops, then pay him if you absolutely have to.

First of all there is only 1 Mahomes.

Now Prescott is in the same situation as Goff, last year of his 40 million contract that gave no playoff success in return. What are the Cowboys going to do with a QB that has a proven track record of losing big games? Trey Lantz is the type of QB you like, mobile, strong arm, so let Dak walk and save a ton of cap space?

Good one, LOL.

First of all there is only 1 Mahomes.

Now Prescott is in the same situation as Goff, last year of his 40 million contract that gave no playoff success in return. What are the Cowboys going to do with a QB that has a proven track record of losing big games? Trey Lantz is the type of QB you like, mobile, strong arm, so let Dak walk and save a ton of cap space?
I definitely liked the trade for Lance considering the price. He's an option, the draft is an option...basically, I'm for keeping every possible option open.

Dak isn't going anywhere because of the no-trade clause. Until he proves he can excel in the playoffs, keep our options open and make a move (Lance, whatever) as soon as a sound one presents itself. If Dak doesn't prove he can do it by this time next year, don't pony up the money.

One surefire way to hinder a window is for a non-premium player to take up a bunch of cap space.

Last edited:
Good to see short means 5 years.

Good one, LOL.

The serious talk is centered around the decision to extend Goff, what to pay him, and if he's the type to be able to lead a team to a title. If I'm bashing anyone, it's the Lions. This isn't a guy Mahomes, where you want to lock him up long-term.

I see comments like it's a foregone conclusion "we" have to pay him now. No...that's not the case. What are the Lions worried about? See what he does next year, see how Hooker develops, then pay him if you absolutely have to.

Absolutely, if Goff wants $50+ million, there is no reason to rush to extend him. We can sign him next year for that. In the open market, there will not be teams lining up to sign him to a 4-year $220M deal. I just don't see all this supposwd leverage Goff has. Not a single GM and HC has a higher view of Goff than Brad and Dan, but even they are not going to sacrifice other positions. They know and greatly appreciate his strengths, but are also are well aware of his limitations. Goff is absolutely not close to a Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Burrow and others.. If Goff wants to play next season for $33 million and take a chance on not getting injured and going on the open market, go for it, but he will be disappointed. Goff is a low $40's million QB.

Good one, LOL.

The serious talk is centered around the decision to extend Goff, what to pay him, and if he's the type to be able to lead a team to a title. If I'm bashing anyone, it's the Lions. This isn't a guy Mahomes, where you want to lock him up long-term.

I see comments like it's a foregone conclusion "we" have to pay him now. No...that's not the case. What are the Lions worried about? See what he does next year, see how Hooker develops, then pay him if you absolutely have to.

Absolutely, if Goff wants $50+ million, there is no reason to rush to extend him. We can sign him next year for that. In the open market, there will not be teams lining up to sign him to a 4-year $220M deal. I just don't see all this supposwd leverage Goff has. Not a single GM and HC has a higher view of Goff than Brad and Dan, but even they are not going to sacrifice other positions. They know and greatly appreciate his strengths, but are also are well aware of his limitations. Goff is absolutely not close to a Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Burrow and others.. If Goff wants to play next season for $33 million and take a chance on not getting injured and going on the open market, go for it, but he will be disappointed. Goff is a low $40's million QB.
I generally agree with this. I'm not sure Goff is worth more than he's getting now, but a small bump in pay would be reasonable.

To me, the Lions have as much leverage as Goff does with Hooker in the fold.

Playoff windows last decades? LOL. Either way, the idea is to win a title. I don't think Detroit cares too much about just making the playoffs other than the obvious (that it's a lot better than not making the playoffs).

So clearly you don't watch football. We have teams that make the playoffs or are right there every year with the same coach.

The Lions have the best owner-GM-HC combo in the NFL. Kansas City built a dynasty because of Andy Reid. They had a championship caliber team before Mahomes even got there, now it is a dynasty. Shiela, Brad, and Dan have built a championship caliber team. They can win SB with Goff. But i think Hooker has more upside.

Good one, LOL.

I generally agree with this. I'm not sure Goff is worth more than he's getting now, but a small bump in pay would be reasonable.

I am OK rolling the dice and not extending Goff this off season and grooming Hooker another year. Hooker is already 26 and has not thrown a NFL pass, will be 27 if Goff left. If Hooker does not progress Lions can then extend Goff or tag him if need be. Goff knows there is no better fit for him than Detroit and reality it he is set for life if he never played another down.

I could be wrong but just don`t see teams lining up to sign Goff as a UFA for 50 a year. 3 for 120 and call it a day.

Good one, LOL.

Sorry if you mentioned this is one of your many previous posts on the topic, but where would you rank Goff as a QB in the current NFL?

So clearly you don't watch football. We have teams that make the playoffs or are right there every year with the same coach.
“Or are right there”…yeah, I guess.

I LOL’d at the idea of making the playoffs most years for long stretches, just to get beat. Your prize is picking later in the draft.

That’s commendable, but not the goal.

Good one, LOL.

I am OK rolling the dice and not extending Goff this off season and grooming Hooker another year. Hooker is already 26 and has not thrown a NFL pass, will be 27 if Goff left. If Hooker does not progress Lions can then extend Goff or tag him if need be. Goff knows there is no better fit for him than Detroit and reality it he is set for life if he never played another down.

I could be wrong but just don`t see teams lining up to sign Goff as a UFA for 50 a year. 3 for 120 and call it a day.
That’s the play, IMO. And it’s an opinion few Lions fans have.

BTW, I could see Hooker being ready before ‘25.

Good one, LOL.

Sorry if you mentioned this is one of your many previous posts on the topic, but where would you rank Goff as a QB in the current NFL?
I’d have to think about a numbered rank, but he’s a mid-tier guy, ideally suited as a bridge.

Good one, LOL.

I’d have to think about a numbered rank, but he’s a mid-tier guy, ideally suited as a bridge.

That is how I feel about Prescott too. 12-15 range. Good,not a great QB that will take a team deep. Dak can put up good numbers, the best in garbage time. I know because I have had him on FF teams. They both have a year on their deals so we will see what happens.

Thing is there are probably 20 bridge guys starting right now, and 30 more bridges as backups.

Good one, LOL.

I think it is a useful exercise as it puts in perspective of how few really good quarterbacks there are in this league. When you have one that fits your system well and has proven to be productive it becomes harder to not keep them on board. Trying to find a competent replacement is not as easy as it seems. I understand not wanting to break the bank, but this team is ready to win right now as well. It will be interesting to see how they handle the situation.

Good one, LOL.

I think it is a useful exercise as it puts in perspective of how few really good quarterbacks there are in this league. When you have one that fits your system well and has proven to be productive it becomes harder to not keep them on board. Trying to find a competent replacement is not as easy as it seems. I understand not wanting to break the bank, but this team is ready to win right now as well. It will be interesting to see how they handle the situation.
Yeah, it’s a monumental decision. I have no doubt Holmes realizes Goff’s shortcomings. I believe that’s why he used a day-2 pick on Hooker. Back in the day, Goff’s lack of athleticism wouldn’t have been a deal-breaker. Now, it’s a huge factor. The game has changed.

If he was better at the deep ball, I think you could more easily overlook his athletic deficiencies. While Goff has put up numbers, you have to realize how much help he’s got.

People seem to think it’s a lock Goff will get extended, but I’m not so sure. And if he does, at what cost? Detroit has some looming critical franchise decisions.

Good one, LOL.

Yeah, it’s a monumental decision. I have no doubt Holmes realizes Goff’s shortcomings. I believe that’s why he used a day-2 pick on Hooker. Back in the day, Goff’s lack of athleticism wouldn’t have been a deal-breaker. Now, it’s a huge factor. The game has changed.

If he was better at the deep ball, I think you could more easily overlook his athletic deficiencies. While Goff has put up numbers, you have to realize how much help he’s got.

People seem to think it’s a lock Goff will get extended, but I’m not so sure. And if he does, at what cost? Detroit has some looming critical upcoming franchise decisions.

Dallas is in the same boat. Jerry almost let him walk last time, looking back he should have. All teams have to make critical decisions.

Good one, LOL.

People seem to think it’s a lock Goff will get extended, but I’m not so sure. And if he does, at what cost? Detroit has some looming critical upcoming franchise decisions.

Dallas is in the same boat. Jerry almost let him walk last time, looking back he should have. All teams have to make critical decisions.
QB is especially critical, though, and even more so when a team starts getting enough talent on their roster to be in a window.

It probably would be better for the game if it weren’t true, but it’s just how things are right now.

Good one, LOL.

QB is especially critical, though, and even more so when a team starts getting enough talent on their roster to be in a window.

It probably would be better for the game if it weren’t true, but it’s just how things are right now.
Agree, Wilson ruined Denver's chances with his huge deal.

Basically Mahomes is the only one living up to his deal. If Purdy wins it will be a steal compared to what guys like Carr, Prescott, Murray, Watson have delivered on their deals. That is the NFL, you have to hitch your wagon to someone.

Good one, LOL.

People seem to think it’s a lock Goff will get extended, but I’m not so sure. And if he does, at what cost? Detroit has some looming critical franchise decisions.
Goff is not the reason the Lions are not in the Super Bowl. He played well enough for the Lions to have beaten SF and then would have faced a KC team they beat earlier in the year. I think your argument loses much of its value just on this.

So how do you measure whether Goff is a successful QB? Is it SB wins or SB appearances? Is it playoff appearances or a winning record?

Goff does lack mobility and creativity out of the pocket are those end alls? Also occasionally he does panic under pressure.
But he’s elite in play action and accuracy in the middle of the field.

Who would you rather have that’s available? Your whole argument seems to be that they chuck him for Hooker because Hooker is more mobile I guess.
That’s hard to grasp since Hooker hasn’t shown a thing yet in the NFL.

Now we hope that Hooker is the real deal. If he is better than Goff he’ll play over him. Holmes has said it’s easier to get worse than better at QB.

March 11-13 — “Legal tampering” period

Starting at Noon ET, teams can start to negotiate with agents of players who are set to become unrestricted free agents. This is where we often see the first deals come to fruition. While a player cannot officially sign during this two-day window, they can “agree to terms” with teams. Last year, the Lions were able to acquire Cameron Sutton, Emmanuel Moseley, and David Montgomery during the tampering period, so don’t be surprised to see some early action again this year.

March 13 — HAPPY NEW LEAGUE YEAR + start of free agency
Looks like we are a good month away from anything happening. 🙁

March 11-13 — “Legal tampering” period

Starting at Noon ET, teams can start to negotiate with agents of players who are set to become unrestricted free agents. This is where we often see the first deals come to fruition. While a player cannot officially sign during this two-day window, they can “agree to terms” with teams. Last year, the Lions were able to acquire Cameron Sutton, Emmanuel Moseley, and David Montgomery during the tampering period, so don’t be surprised to see some early action again this year.

March 13 — HAPPY NEW LEAGUE YEAR + start of free agency
Looks like we are a good month away from anything happening. 🙁

Draft prep bruh

Detroit Pistons played at the Sacramento Kings last night. During the introduction of the Detroit players the Kings played video showing highlights of the 49ers beating the Lions last week. As part of this they altered Eminem’s music and played it as background.

Pistons went out and beat the Kings by 13 points for one of their few wins of the year and especially one on the road.

Detroit Pistons played at the Sacramento Kings last night. During the introduction of the Detroit players the Kings played video showing highlights of the 49ers beating the Lions last week. As part of this they altered Eminem’s music and played it as background.

Pistons went out and beat the Kings by 13 points for one of their few wins of the year and especially one on the road.
The Sacramento Kings have never once had a ladybug on their shoes

Frank Ragnow, who expressed at the end of a grueling season that battling injuries for the past two years has taken a toll on him, has confirmed that his career will continue in Motown.

"I just need a few weeks to get healthy," Ragnow told the Free Press at NFL Honors. "I guess my typical offseason routine is kind of get right back into it, but I think as I’m getting older I need to understand that sometimes maybe less is more. And I just need some time to make sure I’m healthy and then we’ll get rolling again."

AP Coach of the Year

Kevin Stefanski 21-18-6 = 165
DeMeco Ryans 20-21-2 = 165
Dan Campbell 3-3-9 = 33
Kyle Shanahan 3-3-2 = 26
John Harbaugh 2-2-10 = 26
Sean McVay 1-2-10 = 21
Mike Tomlin 0-1-2 = 5
Shane Steichen 0-0-4 = 4
Matt LaFleur 0-0-2 = 2
Todd Bowles 0-0-1 = 1
Mike McDaniel 0-0-1 = 1
Sean McDermott 0-0-1 = 1

AP Assistant Coach of the Year

Jim Schwartz 25-10-5 = 160
Mike MacDonald 11-11-6 = 94
Ben Johnson 6-10-5 = 65
Bobby Slowik 4-7-12 = 53
Todd Monken 3-8-7 = 46
Steve Spagnuolo 1-3-2 = 16
Raheem Morris 0-1-3 = 6
Dan Quinn 0-0-4 = 4
Brian Flores 0-0-3 = 3
Dave Canales 0-0-2 = 2
Steve Wilks 0-0-1 = 1

AP Offensive Rookie of the Year

C.J. Stroud 48-2-0 = 246
Puka Nacua 2-48-0 = 154
Sam LaPorta 0-0-40 = 40
Jahmyr Gibbs 0-0-4 = 4
Bijan Robinson 0-0-3 = 3
Zay Flowers 0-0-1 = 1
Jayden Reed 0-0-1 = 1
Rashee Rice 0-0-1 = 1

AP Defensive Rookie of the Year

Will Anderson 16-21-8 = 151
Jalen Carter 14-14-10 = 122
Kobie Turner 14-6-7 = 95
Devon Witherspoon 4-7-16 = 57
Joey Porter Jr. 1-0-1 = 6
YaYa Diaby 1-0-1 = 6
Brian Branch 0-0-6 = 6
Jack Campbell 0-1-0 = 3
Byron Young 0-1-0 = 3
Calijah Kancey 0-0-1 = 1

Frank Ragnow, who expressed at the end of a grueling season that battling injuries for the past two years has taken a toll on him, has confirmed that his career will continue in Motown.

"I just need a few weeks to get healthy," Ragnow told the Free Press at NFL Honors. "I guess my typical offseason routine is kind of get right back into it, but I think as I’m getting older I need to understand that sometimes maybe less is more. And I just need some time to make sure I’m healthy and then we’ll get rolling again."

Funny to hear athletes say "getting older" at 27. This is great news.

Lions will handle Rags with kid gloves going forward at practices and give him days off when needed.

Lions getting some help on the coaching staff bringing new DL and DB coaches. Deshea Townsend is being brought in as a defensive passing game coordinator, a new coaching position. Dre Bly is still the CB coach. Townshend was the CB coach and pass game coordinator for Jacksonville. Townshend has also had stints with the Titans and the Bears. Seems like mostly a lateral move.

Lions will handle Rags with kid gloves going forward at practices and give him days off when needed.

He can have every day off except Sunday, and maybe a Monday or two

He can have every day off except Sunday, and maybe a Monday or two
And the fourth Thursday in November

I love the job Holmes has done and give him full credit for nailing the past few drafts, but a reminder that draft success has a lot to do with luck, and is not necessarily "sticky". The Seahawks went on al all-time heater from 2010-12 (Thomas, Sherman, Russ, Wagner, Wright, Tate) and build the foundation for their Super Bowl teams. But their picks in subsequent years weren't nearly as good, even though it was the same guys making them. The same trend has played out with other teams.

I hope Holmes' run continues, but it's by no means guaranteed.
It also has a lot to do with strength of schedule and the quality of the other teams in the division.

I love the job Holmes has done and give him full credit for nailing the past few drafts, but a reminder that draft success has a lot to do with luck, and is not necessarily "sticky". The Seahawks went on al all-time heater from 2010-12 (Thomas, Sherman, Russ, Wagner, Wright, Tate) and build the foundation for their Super Bowl teams. But their picks in subsequent years weren't nearly as good, even though it was the same guys making them. The same trend has played out with other teams.

It also has a lot to do with strength of schedule and the quality of the other teams in the division.
Those things affect how your team performs, but I’m not sure they impact how your draft picks turn out

The draft is also great when you're zigging while other people are zagging and you happen to be correct. Gibbs and Campbell were questionable picks at the time they were made. I'd still argue that they're controversial, but we can have that debate later. I certainly wouldn't argue now that they were bad picks; just that their positional value was on the low end of things.

Those things affect how your team performs, but I’m not sure they impact how your draft picks turn out
It doesn't necessarily affect how they turn out, but who you pick in the first place. There have also been more than a few examples where a team had a cakewalk schedule against the pass, the QB had a "good" year, they give said QB a new contract instead of drafting a replacement, QB sucks the next year when schedule goes from easy to difficult.

Probably as big or bigger news than any FA. With the guards both unsigned that would have left a gaping hole on the strength of the team. Now at the least they will retain their 3 OL pillers at C and T.

Probably as big or bigger news than any FA. With the guards both unsigned that would have left a gaping hole on the strength of the team. Now at the least they will retain their 3 OL pillers at C and T.

Lot of good guards and centers in this draft. Hoping we draft four lineman with our seven picks - C, G, DI, ED - but after last year's draft cycle, it's In Brad We Trust for me.

(nobody asked but I'd be good with 2 CBs, 2 OL, 2 DL, and maybe a K)

We need a developmental guy or two. I was pretty underwhelmed by Brodric Martin and Colby Sorsdal but we likely won't know until their 3rd or 4th year if either is any good.

Users who are viewing this thread