What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cowboys Thread. Week 1 vs. Brown’s -Brady’s Broadcasting debut (2 Viewers)

Don’t think it matters whether McCarthy or someone else is the coach, at least for next year. Dak Prescott isn’t going to win a Super Bowl. That’s the problem the Cowboys need to solve.

Can you elaborate on how Prescott is the problem?

What would you suggest they do?

Prescott has repeatedly flamed out in big spots. He's 2-5 lifetime in the playoffs, and now it's a stink that won't wash off him. You can see it's in his head. It's not like he's one of these young guys who can shake it off as a bad beat and turn it around, at a certain point it's just who he is. He's in his 30s, if he hasn't figured it out yet he's not going to - and in fact the longer it goes the worse it gets. No lack of talent around him to blame. He's an above average regular season QB who is missing that thing that all the greats have when it comes to playoff time. Who knows how differently last week game goes if he doesn't throw those two disastrous first half INTs?

I have no real suggestions for the Cowboys, sounds like they're stuck with Dak for at least another year. I don't know the details of his contract and whatnot, but if Jerry wants another ring before he gives up the ghost, I'm certain he's going to have to do it with a different QB.

Interesting. Thanks. We disagree as I think Prescott is good enough to win a Super Bowl on that team with that cast. But different opinions are what makes this game fun. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Don’t think it matters whether McCarthy or someone else is the coach, at least for next year. Dak Prescott isn’t going to win a Super Bowl. That’s the problem the Cowboys need to solve.

Prescott has repeatedly flamed out in big spots. He's 2-5 lifetime in the playoffs, and now it's a stink that won't wash off him. You can see it's in his head. It's not like he's one of these young guys who can shake it off as a bad beat and turn it around, at a certain point it's just who he is. He's in his 30s, if he hasn't figured it out yet he's not going to - and in fact the longer it goes the worse it gets. No lack of talent around him to blame. He's an above average regular season QB who is missing that thing that all the greats have when it comes to playoff time. Who knows how differently last week game goes if he doesn't throw those two disastrous first half INTs?

I have no real suggestions for the Cowboys, sounds like they're stuck with Dak for at least another year. I don't know the details of his contract and whatnot, but if Jerry wants another ring before he gives up the ghost, I'm certain he's going to have to do it with a different QB.

Interesting. Thanks. We disagree as I think Prescott is good enough to win a Super Bowl on that team with that cast. But different opinions are what makes this game fun. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Can you elaborate on why you think he IS good enough to win a Super Bowl? What particularly about his performance in big games or in the playoffs leads you to this conclusion?

Can you elaborate on why you think he IS good enough to win a Super Bowl? What particularly about his performance in big games or in the playoffs leads you to this conclusion?

Just watching him play. He was a serious candidate for MVP this season based on his play.

I think Prescott is good enough to win a Super Bowl on that team with that cast.

He is (as evidenced by his career regular season performances).

But he won't (as evidenced by his career postseason performances).

It's not a matter of talent. It's a psychological thing with him.

You may have access that I do not. But I am not close enough to the situation to have a detailed understanding of his psychological abilities.

I also think the "can't win the big one" is one of the most overrated things in all of sports. I don't think Dak Prescott is Peyton Manning but that was exactly the same thing everyone said about Manning. Until he won two SuperBowls.

I'm mostly not a fan of making big conclusions based on super small sample sizes against the very best opponents.

I think Prescott is good enough to win a Super Bowl on that team with that cast.

He is (as evidenced by his career regular season performances).

But he won't (as evidenced by his career postseason performances).

It's not a matter of talent. It's a psychological thing with him.

You may have access that I do not. But I am not close enough to the situation to have a detailed understanding of his psychological abilities.

I also think the "can't win the big one" is one of the most overrated things in all of sports. I don't think Dak Prescott is Peyton Manning but that was exactly the same thing everyone said about Manning. Until he won two SuperBowls.

I'm mostly not a fan of making big conclusions based on super small sample sizes against the very best opponents.

Sure, look I admit I could be wrong. I don't have any inside info, just what I've seen in my years of watching football. Peyton Manning is a good comp, although IIRC he was contending with the early Pats dynasty and got knocked out several times by the eventual Super Bowl champions. But yeah, I'll give you that.

On the flip side, Manning stands out as a good comp because, have there been many others? I don't remember many QBs flaming out in the playoffs this often for the first ten years of their career before eventually getting over the hump. Think I'd have to go back as far as Elway for the only other example I can think of where a QB was good enough to usually make the playoffs but didn't win a SB until later in their career (and at least he made it to a bunch of Super Bowls and just kept losing to the dominant NFC).

Dak's led the Cowboys to a bunch of double-digit-win regular season records and never even made it to a conference championship game. "When someone shows you who they are, believe them."

Just watching him play. He was a serious candidate for MVP this season based on his play.
You keep saying this. Serious MVPs don't post games like this

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTSACKSQBRRTG
21/341343.9013-2840.657.7

Or this

14/241536.4133-1344.351.6

Heard interesting question the other day.

If the Ravens lose to the Texans will the same people who think McCarthy should be fired also call for the head of John Harbaugh?

I'd ask if people will also say that Lamar can't win the big one or is overrated like they say about Dak now but I already know the answer to that one.

I don't remember many QBs flaming out in the playoffs this often for the first ten years of their career before eventually getting over the hump.
Stafford

Eh, he made it to the playoffs three times with the Lions, all three as a 6 seed. I don't think they were ever a serious Super Bowl contender in those years. There have been other QBs who have similarly won Super Bowls late in their career because they were on a bad team for the early part of their career. It's not the same, imo.

The Cowboys have made it to the playoffs five times with Dak, four of them as division winner. This team has been good enough to go all the way multiple times, and yet even as 1- and 2-seeds they haven't even gotten past the divisional round. Something's broken.

I don't remember many QBs flaming out in the playoffs this often for the first ten years of their career before eventually getting over the hump.
Stafford

Eh, he made it to the playoffs three times with the Lions, all three as a 6 seed. I don't think they were ever a serious Super Bowl contender in those years. There have been other QBs who have similarly won Super Bowls late in their career because they were on a bad team for the early part of their career. It's not the same, imo.

The Cowboys have made it to the playoffs five times with Dak, four of them as division winner. This team has been good enough to go all the way multiple times, and yet even as 1- and 2-seeds they haven't even gotten past the divisional round. Something's broken.

When it's Stafford you want to suggest it's because his team was not good enough. When it's Dak it's just because of him and not because of the rest of the team. Just seems awfully selective to me.

Stafford
The quality of surrounding talent between Dak’s Cowboys and Stafford’s Lions is significant, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Dak has had the advantage of good to great surrounding talent. What’s most telling here is that Dallas has been favored, often by a touchdown or more, in multiple upset playoff games. Detroit was nearly a universal underdog.

Stafford

I would argue the “something broken” is owner involvement and the spotlight it puts on them. It’s too much. They are constantly in the news cycle and I bet the players can’t help but get drunk on their press clippings. And as soon as things start to go against them, they panic…especially Dak because he is so front and center. He’s good enough to win a Super Bowl with IMO, but not in that environment. Same thing with Romo.

Stafford

When it's Stafford you want to suggest it's because his team was not good enough. When it's Dak it's just because of him and not because of the rest of the team. Just seems awfully selective to me.

Obviously it's a team sport, and not all of the Cowboys' failures are attributable to Dak. But yes, I am going to make a distinction between a perennial 12-win team and a Lions team that occasionally squeaked in as a 6 seed. It would be silly not to. Dak's playoff failures are not because he lacks sufficient talent around him.

Stafford

They’ve been good enough to go all the way?

Dak hasn’t played well but he only gave up 14 of those 48.

The first pick - Cooks certainly could have fought harder for that ball. That should have been a lazy incompletion, not 7 the other way.

Stafford
The quality of surrounding talent between Dak’s Cowboys and Stafford’s Lions is significant, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Dak has had the advantage of good to great surrounding talent. What’s most telling here is that Dallas has been favored, often by a touchdown or more, in multiple upset playoff games. Detroit was nearly a universal underdog.
And how did that talent perform against the Packers?

Stafford

...yes? I don't understand the question. Is it somehow your contention that the Cowboys have never been a legitimate Super Bowl contender since Dak took over?

Stafford

Obviously it's a team sport, and not all of the Cowboys' failures are attributable to Dak. But yes, I am going to make a distinction between a perennial 12-win team and a Lions team that occasionally squeaked in as a 6 seed. It would be silly not to. Dak's playoff failures are not because he lacks sufficient talent around him.
Neither Stafford or Dak can control how their defenses perform, they just have a large degree of impact on the performance of their offense and I don't think that Lions offense was considered inferior talent level then the Dallas offense today.

Stafford's defenses did let him down in most of the losses. Average opposing score was 31.6 with a low of 24. In Dak's 5 exits his D gave up an average of 30.8. The only major difference was the game SF put them out only scoring 19.

In his 3 playoff losses the Stafford led offenses put up 18 points and the Dak led offenses put up 22.8.

You can cite overall talent, season record, etc,etc but it all comes down to that one game that week and that's what people are judging Dak on if he can win it all or not. IMO I see no difference in how Staffords cast let him down then how Daks' cast did for him and I absolutely rememeber people saying Stafford was just not a 'winner".

Stafford

Neither Stafford or Dak can control how their defenses perform, they just have a large degree of impact on the performance of their offense and I don't think that Lions offense was considered inferior talent level then the Dallas offense today.

Stafford's defenses did let him down in most of the losses. Average opposing score was 31.6 with a low of 24. In Dak's 5 exits his D gave up an average of 30.8. The only major difference was the game SF put them out only scoring 19.

In his 3 playoff losses the Stafford led offenses put up 18 points and the Dak led offenses put up 22.8.

You can cite overall talent, season record, etc,etc but it all comes down to that one game that week and that's what people are judging Dak on if he can win it all or not. IMO I see no difference in how Staffords cast let him down then how Daks' cast did for him and I absolutely rememeber people saying Stafford was just not a 'winner".

:shrug: We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether Stafford failing to take a 6 seed anywhere in three tries in Detroit is comparable to Dak failing to take the Cowboys anywhere in five tries.

(Edited to add: the Lions were sizable road underdogs in all three appearances with Stafford. The Cowboys were home favorites in three of their playoff losses under Dak.)

Peyton is admittedly a very good comp - tons of regular season success, winning 12+ games every year but not winning a Super Bowl until his 9th season. So there is hope for Dak yet. I wouldn't bet on him ever getting it done, though. Just one man's opinion based on what I've seen.

Last edited:
Stafford

...yes? I don't understand the question. Is it somehow your contention that the Cowboys have never been a legitimate Super Bowl contender since Dak took over?

So Dak has proven that he’s incapable of winning a SB but the other 21 guys are winners?

I would say that every Cowboys team Dak has been on was flawed in some major way, most having to do with a lack of depth of major deficiency at a position group.

This year it was trotting out 190lb LBers and poor scheme/getting out coached.

Last year like most was not being able to stop the run. (No DT)

The year “Dez caught it” we had everything except for a pass rush and wouldn’t you know it, a one legged Rodgers beat us.

Just watching him play is why I think he ISN'T good enough to win a Super Bowl. The MVP chatter died by the end of the 2nd quarter in Buffalo.

The problem with Dak is that he continues to make bad decisions with the football in the games that matter the most. For example, his game this year against San Francisco he tossed 3 INTs. Can't blame the Dallas Defense for that.

His last two playoff exits were really eye opening to this football viewer. I can't get this visual from last year's playoff exit out of my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Q4gUhtCf8

What QB that's left in the playoffs right now makes that kind of throw in that situation? 2nd and 2 from the San Fran 18, 1:24 left in the half. A FG gives Dallas the lead 9-6 going into HT. The play call was bad, sure. But a QB CAN NOT make that throw. It's inexcusable.

And yet, that's not a singular event in his career - a career that is now 8 years in the books. He continues to wilt under pressure. There is no Captain Comeback rhetoric used when discussing him either. If he doesn't play with a lead, it's a problem. And he augments the problem by making critical errors with the football, ergo the playoff exit to the Packers. Down 7-0, Dallas forces GB to punt. It took Dak 43 seconds to give the ball right back to Green Bay. Blink. 14-0.

It's stuff like this that I see watching him play. I don't care that he shreds the Giants or throws for 400 yards losing to the Packers. Go win. Go win when it matters the most. Then I'll believe. Until then, I can't buy in, man. I just can't.

Just watching him play is why I think he ISN'T good enough to win a Super Bowl. The MVP chatter died by the end of the 2nd quarter in Buffalo.

The problem with Dak is that he continues to make bad decisions with the football in the games that matter the most. For example, his game this year against San Francisco he tossed 3 INTs. Can't blame the Dallas Defense for that.

His last two playoff exits were really eye opening to this football viewer. I can't get this visual from last year's playoff exit out of my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Q4gUhtCf8

What QB that's left in the playoffs right now makes that kind of throw in that situation? 2nd and 2 from the San Fran 18, 1:24 left in the half. A FG gives Dallas the lead 9-6 going into HT. The play call was bad, sure. But a QB CAN NOT make that throw. It's inexcusable.

And yet, that's not a singular event in his career - a career that is now 8 years in the books. He continues to wilt under pressure. There is no Captain Comeback rhetoric used when discussing him either. If he doesn't play with a lead, it's a problem. And he augments the problem by making critical errors with the football, ergo the playoff exit to the Packers. Down 7-0, Dallas forces GB to punt. It took Dak 43 seconds to give the ball right back to Green Bay. Blink. 14-0.

It's stuff like this that I see watching him play. I don't care that he shreds the Giants or throws for 400 yards losing to the Packers. Go win. Go win when it matters the most. Then I'll believe. Until then, I can't buy in, man. I just can't.

No worries. We can disagree there. I think watching him play he's good enough to win a Super Bowl. No worries.

No worries. We can disagree there. I think watching him play he's good enough to win a Super Bowl. No worries.

It's like two guys looking at the same gal....one thinks she's a trip to Hollywood and the other sees his aunt Gladys with a moustache. ;)

Stafford

So Dak has proven that he’s incapable of winning a SB but the other 21 guys are winners?

None of them are winners, because they haven't won (in a Dallas uniform at least, idk if anyone on the roster has a ring from elsewhere). But by all objective standards, Dallas has been talented enough to win the Super Bowl multiple times since Dak arrived. It's not a lack of sufficient ability that has held them back. And the defense, whatever their flaws may be, isn't responsible for the disastrous INTs Dak has thrown.

Stafford

None of them are winners, because they haven't won (in a Dallas uniform at least, idk if anyone on the roster has a ring from elsewhere). But by all objective standards, Dallas has been talented enough to win the Super Bowl multiple times since Dak arrived. It's not a lack of sufficient ability that has held them back. And the defense, whatever their flaws may be, isn't responsible for the disastrous INTs Dak has thrown.

How are we the only two people in this thread that sees this? I don't get it. What has he done in a big game EVER that makes anybody think 'he's THE GUY'? It's just puzzling to me.

You keep saying this

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying Dak Prescott wasn't in the MVP talk late in the season?
Nope, the amateurs were discussing him. Scratch that, I am an amateur, what do you call people who ignore the facts and film that are in front of you? It was blatantly obvious he was beating up on cupcakes.

Three of the five "signature wins" you mention were at home against teams that didn't have winning records. Another was gifted to them by the refs. That leaves a home win against Philly as the only earned signature win....we saw how good Philly really was over the last month. MVPs do more the eat cupcake Ws.

By the way, I'm not a hater. I'm the guy who scoops up Dak late in leagues most years, after collapses like these drop his draft stock to QB15 (ref FBG preseason rankings)

RANKPLAYERAGEEXPBYEExperts
1Jalen Hurts PHI725310
2Josh Allen BUF727513
3Patrick Mahomes II KC628610
4Lamar Jackson BAL727513
5Joe Burrow CIN72737
6Justin Herbert LAC72535
7Justin Fields CHI724213
8Trevor Lawrence JAX72429
9Deshaun Watson CLE62865
10Anthony Richardson IND722R11
11Daniel Jones NYG526413
12Geno Smith SEA533105
13Tua Tagovailoa MIA725310
14Kirk Cousins MIN6351113
15Dak Prescott DAL43077

Stafford

How are we the only two people in this thread that sees this? I don't get it. What has he done in a big game EVER that makes anybody think 'he's THE GUY'? It's just puzzling to me.

I think Dak is good enough to win with but not at his current salary. The Cowboys have tried so hard to make everything Prescott friendly. The result is he puts up inflated numbers which demands high compensation.

The Cowboys have created this mess and the only way out is a coming to Jesus talk with Prescott but I doubt will see it the same way.

The Cowboys have one shot at this. They need to break the bank for Free agents, draft well and find a great defensive coordinator.

I don’t think they’ll get all of those things done and I think bringing in BB would have helped their chances.

I’ll always be a Cowboys fan but @ me when they blow up the whole thing.

Stafford

I think Dak is good enough to win with but not at his current salary. The Cowboys have tried so hard to make everything Prescott friendly. The result is he puts up inflated numbers which demands high compensation.

The Cowboys have created this mess and the only way out is a coming to Jesus talk with Prescott but I doubt will see it the same way.

The Cowboys have one shot at this. They need to break the bank for Free agents, draft well and find a great defensive coordinator.

I don’t think they’ll get all of those things done and I think bringing in BB would have helped their chances.

I’ll always be a Cowboys fan but @ me when they blow up the whole thing.

Mike McCarthy should spend all off-season developing Lance like his job depends on it. He was drafted by a far superior team with a great recent track record drafting and developing players...they just couldn't justify spending the time on Lance and he had to go because they found a hidden gem in Purdy. But one of the league's best GM/HC combo saw enough in him take him so high (and didn't they pay up to get him?) so there is something there. Mike Mac needs to unearth it.

Have Lance take over next year and let Dak walk. Sign Lance to a team friendly deal. Add another RB/WR and shore up that god awful LB core. Diggs is back, they have Lawrence Taylor 2.0. It's just time to admit Dak isn't the answer.

Nope, the amateurs were discussing him.

No worries. We can just disagree there. I think people who know and understand football were discussing him in the MVP conversation.

MVP is like a stock price, it fluctuates real time and you can follow it by monitoring the betting odds.

Let me ask you this: Where were Dak's odds to win the MVP after his disastrous San Francosco performance this year?

He started to gain traction in the absence of any true front runners by playing well against lesser opponents. Mahomes (who should be in the running every year) took himself out of the running. Allen and the Bills were struggling. Burrow was lost to injury. Tua can't beat a good team (well, except for Dallas) and A-aron never took flight. Guys like Dak and Purdy were in the discussion by default. Hell, CJ Stroud emerged as a possible candidate. It was a weird year.

And then, from the back of the pack like the great racehorse Zenyata, Lamar Jackson emerged and snatched it. What did Dak do on the precipice of his season in a game where he could have bolstered his case to win the award? He wilted in Buffalo and Dakked the race away.

TLDR - Dak got mentions in the absence of a better candidate. He peed down his leg and Lamar snatched it. Ball game.

Last edited:

Or this

Serious MVP candidates don't post games like that?
How about games like these?
Are these serious MVP games?

17/22 169 Yards 7.7 AVG 0 TD 1 INT 4 Sacks 79.5 RTG 12.2 QBR
22/38 236 Yards 6.2 AVG 0 TD 1 INT 4 Sacks 65.2 RTG 45.5 QBR
18/27 157 Yards 5.8 AVG 1 TD 0 INT 4 Sacks 94.2 RTG 35.8 QBR
18/32 177 Yards 5.5 AVG 1 TD 0 INT 2 Sacks 82.4 RTG 37.3 QBR

Or this

I don't see 3 INT in a game there. Huh. Weird.

Or this

So MVP consideration is based only on interceptions?
Hmmm...weird.

Or this

17/22 169 Yards 7.7 AVG 0 TD 1 INT 4 Sacks 79.5 RTG 12.2 QBR:
22/38 236 Yards 6.2 AVG 0 TD 1 INT 4 Sacks 65.2 RTG 45.5 QBR: Bad loss
18/27 157 Yards 5.8 AVG 1 TD 0 INT 4 Sacks 94.2 RTG 35.8 QBR: Up by 16 with 2 mins to play, + win probability the whole way
18/32 177 Yards 5.5 AVG 1 TD 0 INT 2 Sacks 82.4 RTG 37.3 QBR: 25-9 win, + win probability the whole way
17/22 169 Yards 7.7 AVG 0 TD 1 INT 4 Sacks 79.5 RTG 12.2 QBR: 25-9 win, + win probability the whole way
22/38 236 Yards 6.2 AVG 0 TD 1 INT 4 Sacks 65.2 RTG 45.5 QBR: Bad loss
18/27 157 Yards 5.8 AVG 1 TD 0 INT 4 Sacks 94.2 RTG 35.8 QBR: Up by 16 with 2 mins to play, + win probability the whole way
18/32 177 Yards 5.5 AVG 1 TD 0 INT 2 Sacks 82.4 RTG 37.3 QBR: On the road vs. the Chargers, another win

Personally I don't think Lamar deserves it either. But as you point out, he wasn't padding his stats in wins. Stroud out stated both of them and took a dumpster fire to the playoffs. Cmac flat out dominated most of the year. Lamar will win it because he got hot at the end of the year and most of the football people voting on this aren't real bright. It's a regular season award. Wins and stats in September should be weighted the same as those in December.

Or this

So MVP consideration is based only on interceptions?
Hmmm...weird.

Not all INTs are created equal. A Hail Mary pass at the end of a half or an INT on 3rd and long that lands deep in your opponent's territory aren't costly. They can be ignored.

The interceptions Dak throws are costly, careless, reckless and game changing. 3 INTs in one game against your biggest rival when your playing for NFC supremecy is unforgivable. And Dak does it time and time again. Costly INTs when it matters most against teams the Cowboys have to beat to be true contenders.

Your stats above don't include anything with more than 1 INT. Why? What did you prove by selectively posting those? Nothing.

Dak is the reason why Dallas lost to San Francisco in the playoffs last year. He is the reason they lost to San Francisco in the regular season this year. Dak is the reason they lost to Green Bay in the playoffs last weekend. These are facts and they are not debatable.

Dak wasn't playing or calling the defense that got absolutely schooled by LeFleur and basically a rookie QB.

No, but he gifted LeFluer and his offense a short field for a TD, turned it over again for another TD and was ineffectual at establishing an offensive rhythm when his team needed it most.

At a critical juncture, his offense held the ball for 43 seconds before he handed the ball back to Green Bay. That isn't smart football. At some point, the intelligence of the person managing this needs to be called into question.

He wouldn't have lost the game either.
The defense sucked balls. It contributed to the loss. That’s all I’m saying

He wouldn't have lost the game either.
The defense sucked balls. It contributed to the loss. That’s all I’m saying

My guy, the best defense is a good offense. One that can control the ball and the time of possession. Go review the box score. Dak had the ball 43 seconds before giving the ball back to Green Bay.

Read that again. 43 seconds, ball right back to Green Bay.

At the very least, Dak could have understood the importance of maintaining possession and controlling the game. But what did he do instead? Handed the ball right back to Green Bay without taking any time off the clock.

I mean, this is Football 101. And year after year he flunks the course. He just has these brain farts again and again and again at critical junctures in the biggest games. When is enough enough?

Actually that’s not all I’m saying. If the cowboys want to contend for a Super Bowl, they need to upgrade a lot more than just the QB position

Agreed. Another legit WR. A power back to take the load off Pollard who is and was never a bell cow. And linebackers. My god, what a joke.

But Dak is not the guy. Enough already. His decision making in moments that matter the most is subpar and I can't really fathom a defense to prove me wrong. Year in, year out he wilts and costs his team.

Users who are viewing this thread