What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Atlanta Falcons Thread (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Falcons selected Florida State RB Devonta Freeman with the No. 103 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
Freeman (5-foot-8, 206) was a timeshare back throughout his college career, rushing 404 times for 2,255 yards (5.58 YPC) and 30 touchdowns across three seasons. He added 47 receptions and is an impressive pass blocker on film. Freeman ran 4.58 at the Combine with a 9-foot-10 broad jump. A decisive, one-cut mover who runs better inside than his size indicates, Freeman projects as an NFL platoon back with a chance to develop into the lead part of a committee. On tape, he reminds of Shane Vereen or a bigger Darren Sproles. Freeman should prove to be a massive upgrade on Jacquizz Rodgers and could develop into top dog in Atlanta before long.

As a Ryan owner, I am not sure I am liking that ####. I know these idiots totally have ignored grooming a TE to take Gonzalez place but this is basically exchanging Gonzalez for Harry Douglas. That's a significant downgrade.

Rotoworld:

Falcons coach Mike Smith and GM Thomas Dimitroff confirmed that they see feature back potential in Devonta Freeman.
"I think if you look at his size, the first thing that comes to your mind is he may be a change-of-pace back. That is not the case," Smith said. Freeman, 5'8/206, brings excellent pass protection chops and an underrated inside running resume to Atlanta. He's going to get reps directly behind Steven Jackson this year and has an excellent chance to be a No. 1 runner by 2015. "He has the ability to tote the rock as a lead back," Dimitroff said.

Related: Steven Jackson

Source: ESPN.com

Hey look what I found? Crazy to think the 6-9 Falcons are playing for the division on Sunday. This team has been frustrating all year long but they do have talent, especially on offense. Game is at home and the fans will be loud.

Even crazier is that if they win, they will be favorites in the first round as they likely host Arizona.

flapgreen said:
No falcons fans around here I guess. 2 in-season posts
They're an apathetic fanbase, one of the worst in sports.

As a Saints fan glad to see Mike Smith gone, he actually had the team respectable for a number of years in a row for the first time in their history.

Last edited by a moderator:
flapgreen said:
No falcons fans around here I guess. 2 in-season posts
They're an apathetic fanbase, one of the worst in sports.

As a Saints fan glad to see Mike Smith gone, he actually had the team respectable for a number of years in a row for the first time in their history.
I agree. I had the mis-fortune of going to my first NFL game in the old Fulton Country Stadium in 1978. It was against the Saints and and Big Ben II unfolded on my side of the field for us to win the game. It propelled the Falcons into the playoffs for the first time...and sadly, I became a life-long fan. I moved from Atlanta to Wyoming in 1980. It would have been easier and smarter as a boy back then to just become a Bronco or Seahawk fan - but dammit if I didn't name my new puppy William Andrews - and I couldn't shake that first NFL game excitement...why give up on them because I moved far away- I just "knew" the Falcons were so close to being a dynasty. I was a stupid kid.

It has been 35 mostly miserable years watching this team. Hell Jerry Rice probably had Hall of Fame stats just against the Falcons alone. There have been some fun times but always always always when you feel we're finally over the hump....the whole "process" comes crashing back to earth (see Dallas vs Atlanta in 1981 playoffs (GOD dammit I knew we were going to win that game too...I"m still bitter about it); Too-Legit-To- Quit; 1998 Superbowl Eugene Robinson; Michael the dog killer Vick; Bobby the quitter Pigtrino; the 2010 & 2011 Playoffs just to name a few lows).

I do appreciate what Mike Smith brought the the team and I think the players liked playing for him. However - I just don't think he was capable of handling big pressure moments. I don't think he game planned appropriately. I don't think he could make adjustments to that plan when called for at halftime. Too often he took unnecessary risk when odds favored a more passive approach...and when odds favored a passive approach he would take the risk. Not only this year but throughout his tenure he was poor at clock management. He personally lost 2 games this year with his clock management gaffs (Detroit and Cleveland). Without those gaffs the Falcons were an 8-8 team and winners of the Division. I do think as a person and a coach he was quite honorable - and took the arrows for his teams losses and passed off the praise to the team for their wins.

As for the future - I think the organization would be pretty attractive for a new coaching staff. Highlighted by a good QB; stud WR; and some solid building blocks on the OL (remember they lost 5 starters on the OL this season). On D they have Trufant and well they have Trufant. They suffered a lot of injuries on D too and maybe there is some promise in some of those pieces. Obviously they need a player(s) who can generate some kind of pass rush. Think they are in a good situation with their cap and will have a good amount to spend in free agency. They pick 8th in the draft and have a full slate of picks. In a couple of years a new stadium too.

I have some hope, yet I am realistic too. And as I tell my kid "you know you don't have to be a Falcons fan like me- we live in Idaho - you can be a Seahawks fan or a Broncos fan - you don't have to follow in the sins of your father."

You have to post pretty damned well for me to like a falc post but congrats, you just got my like. Nice post.
For decades one of the best (imo THE best) rivalry in the NFL.

For today and only this day we can be friends. Because every time I see you post I'm reminded of that horrific Monday nite game in 2006.

So weird. Interviewing coaches and letting them having input on GM. So is their current GM not a part of the interviews? Blank is losing his mind

Rotoworld:

Arthur Blank - C - Falcons

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL is investigating the Falcons for piping artificial crowd noise into their stadium the past two seasons.

The Falcons allegedly were pumping the noise through the Georgia Dome speakers when the opposing offense was huddling up trying to call its play. Atlanta could be looking at a stiff fine and loss of a draft pick if found guilty of the trickery.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 1 - 11:02 AM

Rotoworld:

Arthur Blank - C - Falcons

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL is investigating the Falcons for piping artificial crowd noise into their stadium the past two seasons.The Falcons allegedly were pumping the noise through the Georgia Dome speakers when the opposing offense was huddling up trying to call its play. Atlanta could be looking at a stiff fine and loss of a draft pick if found guilty of the trickery.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 1 - 11:02 AM
That's stupid. What's the point?

How do you guys think the RBs will shake out this year? S. Jackson is gone. A. Smith is a FA but could return. What would his role be if he returns? What kind of role do you expect for Freeman? They need to concentrate on defense in the draft, but I can see using a pick on a RB too.

RC94 said:
How do you guys think the RBs will shake out this year? S. Jackson is gone. A. Smith is a FA but could return. What would his role be if he returns? What kind of role do you expect for Freeman? They need to concentrate on defense in the draft, but I can see using a pick on a RB too.
Freeman gets 1st crack at the job. I don't see them making the mistake that the Dolphins did by bringing in an over the hill bum like Moreno. However, I could see them drafting a bigger back like CIN did and if Freeman doesn't get it done, then they may turn to the bigger back. However, he probably will have to be able to catch the ball.

Dare I say it - but the Falcons are having themselves one heck of a draft. Filling needs and getting players at great value. WOW.

Dare I say it - but the Falcons are having themselves one heck of a draft. Filling needs and getting players at great value. WOW.
I'm thrilled. Im also a Clemson fan, so seeing both Vic and Grady will be fun. Grady is a steal in the 5th - he brings a lot to the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread