What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (4 Viewers)

Defense is a turnstile and offense has no confidence, whether it's the coaching, the players, or both. Maybe the "cupcakes" left on their schedule help them both get back on track, but it's just as likely they go from 10-1 controlling their own destiny for a 1-seed and the division to a 5 seed playing on the road in the WC round. That would be a pretty big fall and among the worst in team history. And if I'm in the NFL writer's room, I would punch up the script to include a devasting injury in W17 @ MetLife that happens only because we had to play the starters to still have a chance at the division because we also drop 1 of these next 3.
The only thing I got wrong was the devastating injury. Likely happened this week instead of next, to DeVonta Smith on a waste of a play call after a timeout.

So you’re not a fan or the RB or TE screen with your 125 pound WR being the lead blocker being ran every week? Brian Johnson is the guy who draws up a play and has this bright look like it will work and everyone else looks confused. He has zero feel for calling a game.

That entire sequence starting after the hold was amongst the most disconnected drive I’ve ever seen. Laughably bad.

Coaches need to be fired. Not demoted. Fired.

I don’t know who’s to blame but this is exactly what happened after the SB with Doug. Promote unprepared guys and pray. This along with the defensive scheme seems like an organizational philosophy.

And lurie was quick to fire. Wonder what he's thinking
The main reason Doug was fired was because he was ordered to get a new OC and refused. I can see Lurie ordering new coordinators again. What happens next is up to Nick.

Defense is a turnstile and offense has no confidence, whether it's the coaching, the players, or both. Maybe the "cupcakes" left on their schedule help them both get back on track, but it's just as likely they go from 10-1 controlling their own destiny for a 1-seed and the division to a 5 seed playing on the road in the WC round. That would be a pretty big fall and among the worst in team history. And if I'm in the NFL writer's room, I would punch up the script to include a devasting injury in W17 @ MetLife that happens only because we had to play the starters to still have a chance at the division because we also drop 1 of these next 3.
The only thing I got wrong was the devastating injury. Likely happened this week instead of next, to DeVonta Smith on a waste of a play call after a timeout.

So you’re not a fan or the RB or TE screen with your 125 pound WR being the lead blocker being ran every week? Brian Johnson is the guy who draws up a play and has this bright look like it will work and everyone else looks confused. He has zero feel for calling a game.

That entire sequence starting after the hold was amongst the most disconnected drive I’ve ever seen. Laughably bad.

Coaches need to be fired. Not demoted. Fired.

I don’t know who’s to blame but this is exactly what happened after the SB with Doug. Promote unprepared guys and pray. This along with the defensive scheme seems like an organizational philosophy.

And lurie was quick to fire. Wonder what he's thinking
The main reason Doug was fired was because he was ordered to get a new OC and refused. I can see Lurie ordering new coordinators again. What happens next is up to Nick.
I can’t imagine Nick pounding on his desk to keep Brian Johnson or Matt Patricia. Also I wonder what this defense would look like with Dennard Wilson. That Baltimore defense looks aight-granted he’s not calling plays yet.

I can’t imagine Nick pounding on his desk to keep Brian Johnson or Matt Patricia. Also I wonder what this defense would look like with Dennard Wilson. That Baltimore defense looks aight-granted he’s not calling plays yet.
The defense would look the same or worse with Wilson. You can’t have our talent and expectations and get people with zero experience on both sides of the ball. Patricia is there cause they knew they F’d up with Desai. Probably figured Nick and Stoutland could assist Johnson too.

The defense would look the same or worse with Wilson. You can’t have our talent and expectations and get people with zero experience on both sides of the ball. Patricia is there cause they knew they F’d up with Desai. Probably figured Nick and Stoutland could assist Johnson too.
Have we figured out what Nick is good at? Dude should have taken over play calling a month ago, can’t be worse.

Have we figured out what Nick is good at? Dude should have taken over play calling a month ago, can’t be worse.
That’s a good question. Maybe he’s too soft?

Interesting quote for Sydney Brown on the .@SportsRadioWIP post game show on the Eagles being out physical’s by the Cards.

“Practice habits become game day reality.”

That’s a good question. Maybe he’s too soft?

Interesting quote for Sydney Brown on the .@SportsRadioWIP post game show on the Eagles being out physical’s by the Cards.

“Practice habits become game day reality.”
Was working when they were winning. Sounds like the message is wearing thin now.

The Howie arch is the something I’m getting concerned with though. He needs to just move on from players instead of keeping guys here. I feel like he listens to fans.

The reality is - this game was nothing new. How many games this year do we let opposing offenses drive down the field to win/tie the game? Seattle obviously... Dallas did it the game we beat them, and just barely stopped on the one yard line. Washington did it, Jets did it, Chiefs would have if their WR didn't drop multiple balls in their hands, Bills... This team honestly could just as easily be a 7 win team with just a few bounces differently.

The reality is - this game was nothing new. How many games this year do we let opposing offenses drive down the field to win/tie the game? Seattle obviously... Dallas did it the game we beat them, and just barely stopped on the one yard line. Washington did it, Jets did it, Chiefs would have if their WR didn't drop multiple balls in their hands, Bills... This team honestly could just as easily be a 7 win team with just a few bounces differently.
Yep and they’ve read that way all year. Like I know guys were split on Gannon and we had no chance to keep him but he definitely got the most out of the talent. Or someone did who’s not here.

I can’t stop looking at the DL and thinking wtf happened. It’s mind boggling to me to see them look totally useless.

The reality is - this game was nothing new. How many games this year do we let opposing offenses drive down the field to win/tie the game? Seattle obviously... Dallas did it the game we beat them, and just barely stopped on the one yard line. Washington did it, Jets did it, Chiefs would have if their WR didn't drop multiple balls in their hands, Bills... This team honestly could just as easily be a 7 win team with just a few bounces differently

Yep and they’ve read that way all year. Like I know guys were split on Gannon and we had no chance to keep him but he definitely got the most out of the talent. Or someone did who’s not here.

I can’t stop looking at the DL and thinking wtf happened. It’s mind boggling to me to see them look totally useless.
The rotation is not nearly as potent as last year. That's one but I feel like the scheme on when to attack and when to drop back is so retarded that they don't know what they're supposed to be doing half the time. Have we heard Jalen Carter's name in the last 4 weeks? I havent. Why is the DC not scheming him free every chance he gets? Why are we not looking for ways to get our play makers free?

For the first time in team history the Eagles have lost 3 games in a season after leading by double digits.

Still have one game left to blow and add to the record!

Have we heard Jalen Carter's name in the last 4 weeks? I havent. Why is the DC not scheming him free every chance he gets? Why are we not looking for ways to get our play makers free?
Josh Sweat looked like a guy who finally figured it out last year and was ready to take the next steps to being elite. Where has he been? Davis and Carter were hot and now what? Graham and Reddick also nothing of late. Milton Williams showed tons of flashes last year and I haven’t heard his name before today. Nolan Smith was supposed to be a Reddick clone player LBer last week?

The LBers are laughably bad but damn they don’t have half the talent as the DL group but they both look good the same.

Smirking at the tv camera when they’re ahead?

Looking lost when they’re losing?

Smirking at the tv camera when they’re ahead?

Looking lost when they’re losing?
Love those salty cowboys fans, just think about their drought to feel better. 😂

So i wanted to go over a few things but hope everyone had a safe and happy new years first.

Anyway got in touch with a few people and I was in Timeout but wanted to also point out why I posted the Mclane report this time. First of all he is to be taken with a grain of salt but only posted this as I had heard similar from others. The 10-1 not feeling like 10-1 team comment I heard from others so let’s go over everything. I wouldn’t be posting anything by McLane had I heard differently and I’ve been pretty consistent going after him. Obviously he does stretches or sugar coats truths though and should be taken with a grain of salt for the most part.

Hurts yes has more control over the offense. That’s a given for any QB enter more experience but there’s been issues with it. Like Wentz him and Johnson I’ve heard are too friendly. Like the final plays today hurts was changing plays that Johnson had called hence the personel issues. He’s also trying to keep AJ brown happy and like I said before being friends AJ seems to dominate the alpha over hurts and being friends Jalen doesn’t want to hurt his feelings and sometimes tell him knock it off. Jason Avant called AJ out this week for his poor body language. 11 targets last week for 60yds leading the team but he had 2 drops that should’ve been caught to put him over 100. He’s a good player but needs to be more motivated as he could be great. Hurts and Johnson can’t seem to stay on the same page and being too friendly seems to be hurting hurts.

As for hurts himself, those who were weary of giving him the extension are very vocal right now compared to those for it. Most expected a slight drop off but no one thought it’d be this bad. Context matters folks. Without the vultures goal line scores how many rushing scores does hurts have this year? They are also we rely lacking the powerback. Hurts seems like an introvert leader. Most still like him but many are getting f**king annoying with the philosophical quotes. Just say we sucked and need to do better. Stop with the it’s another learning experience etc. some would like him to be more vocal on the field and call AJ and others out when they lack effort. Like Watkins a few weeks ago on the WR screen not blocking some were miffed Jalen didn’t go up and saying something. Most still love Hurts but wish he’d be more vocal during games. Source told me after AJ got in his ear in the Vikings game Jalen looked like a b**ch to AJ and felt no seemed to care their franchise QB looked weak there.

As for defense most players loved dennard wilson and he should’ve been the guy. Most players liked desia but players saw him lacking a lot of confidence the last few games hence going to Lurie and Nick with their concern. Lurie put Patricia on Nicks radar after the desia signing. Hindsight desia never should e been hired and org philosophy needs to get away from the fangio sh**. Personel seems all wrong and most think keeping slay and resigning Bradberry were big mistakes. The problem is there was just no takers for slay in a trade last year so their hands were tied. They said expect complete reconstruction of the D this offseason. Originally the defense was going to be coached by Vic Fangio himself but he took the Miami job not really being employed by the eagles they couldn’t stop it. Desia was panic hire

The leadership according to those I talked too is a real concern. When guys like Graham and Kelce leave there’s no one outside of lane who’s been there for yrs they see as a leader outside of reddick. There’s some young guys they hope will step up like Hurts, Dean, Davis, Dickerson, Malita and a few others but they lack any real veteran leadership.

I asked about them missing CJGJ and the reaction was Howie F’d up and knows it should’ve paid him. Well liked in the locker room and was a vocal leader. They like board but he’s on the wrong side of his prime. I asked about if CJ get into FA if the team would bring him back source says it depends on the DC next year plus money the team is willing to spend what he wants. His agent and him wanted back and said they’d take the eagles offer but eagles had moved on by time Last offseason.

A few weeks ago I had asked about the team and sources told me you wouldn’t know they were 10-1 as the team vibe gave impressions of a .500 team. A lot of guys playing for themselves and just a lot of old guys they need to move on from at this point. A lot of finger pointing has been going on for the Loses. Very little accountability from coaches and players. Only reason they have t completely fallen apart is talent and guys like BG and Kelce.

I asked about sirianni. Source said his seat is getting very hot even now. But unless something catastrophic happens Nick is here next year but if things continue could see a coaching move by midsession next year or after the season. He hasn’t lost the team yet but it’s at the point where alarm bells need to be ringing. Source said coaching staff could use a few assistants with way more experience.

That all I have for now but it seems we got old issues popping up with this staff we had from the last regim

The defense was way more talented last year.

We went from TJ Edwards, Kyzir White, Marcus Epps, CJGJ, and Javon Hargrave to Nick Morrow, Zach Cunningham, Reed Blankenship, Kevin Byard and Jalen Carter. Couple that with Slay, Bradberry, Cox and BG being one year older and you have a major drop off and that's before you install a rookie DC.

From what I can see, the difference with the DL is:

1.) They don't have a solid rotation. In 2022, they came at you in waves. Now the wave is only Sweat and Reddick and Sweat is getting about 25% more snaps and has 50% less sacks. So by the end of the game, the DL is now tired out instead of fresh like last season.

2.) They haven't replaced Hargrave, Suh and Joseph's contribution in the middle of the D. Hargrave, Cox, Suh and Joseph collapsed the pocket which flushed the QB to the ends. Now there is no pressure up the middle. Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis may someday be studs, but they aren't there yet.

3.) The LBs aren't tackling as good as last year. The corners and safeties aren't covering as well.

The Eagles do reasonably well in 1st and 2nd down, but have repeatedly been burned on 3rd down. It's just a combination of not enough pressure, poor tackling and mediocre coverage.

So i wanted to go over a few things but hope everyone had a safe and happy new years first.

Anyway got in touch with a few people and I was in Timeout but wanted to also point out why I posted the Mclane report this time. First of all he is to be taken with a grain of salt but only posted this as I had heard similar from others. The 10-1 not feeling like 10-1 team comment I heard from others so let’s go over everything. I wouldn’t be posting anything by McLane had I heard differently and I’ve been pretty consistent going after him. Obviously he does stretches or sugar coats truths though and should be taken with a grain of salt for the most part.

Hurts yes has more control over the offense. That’s a given for any QB enter more experience but there’s been issues with it. Like Wentz him and Johnson I’ve heard are too friendly. Like the final plays today hurts was changing plays that Johnson had called hence the personel issues. He’s also trying to keep AJ brown happy and like I said before being friends AJ seems to dominate the alpha over hurts and being friends Jalen doesn’t want to hurt his feelings and sometimes tell him knock it off. Jason Avant called AJ out this week for his poor body language. 11 targets last week for 60yds leading the team but he had 2 drops that should’ve been caught to put him over 100. He’s a good player but needs to be more motivated as he could be great. Hurts and Johnson can’t seem to stay on the same page and being too friendly seems to be hurting hurts.

As for hurts himself, those who were weary of giving him the extension are very vocal right now compared to those for it. Most expected a slight drop off but no one thought it’d be this bad. Context matters folks. Without the vultures goal line scores how many rushing scores does hurts have this year? They are also we rely lacking the powerback. Hurts seems like an introvert leader. Most still like him but many are getting f**king annoying with the philosophical quotes. Just say we sucked and need to do better. Stop with the it’s another learning experience etc. some would like him to be more vocal on the field and call AJ and others out when they lack effort. Like Watkins a few weeks ago on the WR screen not blocking some were miffed Jalen didn’t go up and saying something. Most still love Hurts but wish he’d be more vocal during games. Source told me after AJ got in his ear in the Vikings game Jalen looked like a b**ch to AJ and felt no seemed to care their franchise QB looked weak there.

As for defense most players loved dennard wilson and he should’ve been the guy. Most players liked desia but players saw him lacking a lot of confidence the last few games hence going to Lurie and Nick with their concern. Lurie put Patricia on Nicks radar after the desia signing. Hindsight desia never should e been hired and org philosophy needs to get away from the fangio sh**. Personel seems all wrong and most think keeping slay and resigning Bradberry were big mistakes. The problem is there was just no takers for slay in a trade last year so their hands were tied. They said expect complete reconstruction of the D this offseason. Originally the defense was going to be coached by Vic Fangio himself but he took the Miami job not really being employed by the eagles they couldn’t stop it. Desia was panic hire

The leadership according to those I talked too is a real concern. When guys like Graham and Kelce leave there’s no one outside of lane who’s been there for yrs they see as a leader outside of reddick. There’s some young guys they hope will step up like Hurts, Dean, Davis, Dickerson, Malita and a few others but they lack any real veteran leadership.

I asked about them missing CJGJ and the reaction was Howie F’d up and knows it should’ve paid him. Well liked in the locker room and was a vocal leader. They like board but he’s on the wrong side of his prime. I asked about if CJ get into FA if the team would bring him back source says it depends on the DC next year plus money the team is willing to spend what he wants. His agent and him wanted back and said they’d take the eagles offer but eagles had moved on by time Last offseason.

A few weeks ago I had asked about the team and sources told me you wouldn’t know they were 10-1 as the team vibe gave impressions of a .500 team. A lot of guys playing for themselves and just a lot of old guys they need to move on from at this point. A lot of finger pointing has been going on for the Loses. Very little accountability from coaches and players. Only reason they have t completely fallen apart is talent and guys like BG and Kelce.

I asked about sirianni. Source said his seat is getting very hot even now. But unless something catastrophic happens Nick is here next year but if things continue could see a coaching move by midsession next year or after the season. He hasn’t lost the team yet but it’s at the point where alarm bells need to be ringing. Source said coaching staff could use a few assistants with way more experience.

That all I have for now but it seems we got old issues popping up with this staff we had from the last regim

Safety and CB is where I'd be investing my FA money. I think they'll go hard after a young CB. I think the D is also missing a Malcolm Jenkins-type safety. I like CJGJ, but the guy can't stay healthy, but I wouldn't hate a reunion if they decided to do that. I would also look at tier 2 LBs. Don't need the top guys, but you need competent, NFL pros. Enough of this signing guys halfway through training camp.

Also, Nakobe Dean is not an NFL linebacker. I don't view him as an answer to that position. I like what I've seen from Ringo, he could replace Bradberry if the Eagles go get a young CB to replace Slay.

Safety and CB is where I'd be investing my FA money. I think they'll go hard after a young CB. I think the D is also missing a Malcolm Jenkins-type safety. I like CJGJ, but the guy can't stay healthy, but I wouldn't hate a reunion if they decided to do that. I would also look at tier 2 LBs. Don't need the top guys, but you need competent, NFL pros. Enough of this signing guys halfway through training camp.

Also, Nakobe Dean is not an NFL linebacker. I don't view him as an answer to that position. I like what I've seen from Ringo, he could replace Bradberry if the Eagles go get a young CB to replace Slay.
Jair Alexander might be availble this offseason

I would rather have a bad record and be looking at a high draft pick than where we are right now. Dead man walking. Go sixers
Sixers will be out by round 2 again. Joel Embiid will either be hurt or go MIA when it matters again. Very good player but he seems like a guy who’s more worried about individual success then the team.

Haason Reddick, who reached double-digit sacks in 4 consecutive seasons, dropped into coverage more yesterday than any time since joining the Eagles.

He had his lowest percentage of snaps as a pass rusher since joining the Eagles.

Haason Reddick, who reached double-digit sacks in 4 consecutive seasons, dropped into coverage more yesterday than any time since joining the Eagles.

He had his lowest percentage of snaps as a pass rusher since joining the Eagles.
Exhibit A of the problem with Scheme. Why is our best pass rusher dropping into coverage? Especially when it has no impact!

Exhibit A of the problem with Scheme. Why is our best pass rusher dropping into coverage? Especially when it has no impact!
It was pointed out that AZ figured out early (or already knew) when the Eagles had a 5 man front and AZ went spread, that extra DE has to fall into coverage as a LB. So AZ would go hurry up once they showed that D to force them to keep doing it.

Rough fact to consider; its likely that yesterday's loss to the Cardinals was the last game Kelce, Cox and BG will ever play at the Linc.

Guys, I'm starting to think this team isn't as good as we thought.

The defense is terrible. It needs to get rid of the old guys and get younger, faster and meaner. They need to find a better scheme. I love Sydney Brown's aggression, once it becomes controlled aggression, he'll be a player. Ringo looks like he has potential. After that, I didn't see anything from the LBs and Safeties that said, I want that guy back.

The offense is just being utilized wrong. It should be run based to set up the pass. More play action. Slightly more RPOs.

Honestly, we had so many double digit leads that we couldn't hold or add onto. Last year, when the Birds were run based, they would take the air out of the game in the second half. Even if they didn't score, the long drives would eat up the clock, and wear down the defense and keep the other teams offense off the field. It forced teams to become one dimensional and then we could unleash the pass rush. This year, they go pass, pass, pass, punt and give the other team life and not kill any clock and kept the other teams playbook wide open.

The defense is terrible. It needs to get rid of the old guys and get younger, faster and meaner. They need to find a better scheme. I love Sydney Brown's aggression, once it becomes controlled aggression, he'll be a player. Ringo looks like he has potential. After that, I didn't see anything from the LBs and Safeties that said, I want that guy back.

The offense is just being utilized wrong. It should be run based to set up the pass. More play action. Slightly more RPOs.

Honestly, we had so many double digit leads that we couldn't hold or add onto. Last year, when the Birds were run based, they would take the air out of the game in the second half. Even if they didn't score, the long drives would eat up the clock, and wear down the defense and keep the other teams offense off the field. It forced teams to become one dimensional and then we could unleash the pass rush. This year, they go pass, pass, pass, punt and give the other team life and not kill any clock and kept the other teams playbook wide open.
The sad part is, they could literally utilize that offense starting n it week and win 5 games in a row that way. But they're too stubborn/stupid to admit that it was a mistake all year.

One thing I praised Siriani on since year one was his ability to adjust despite what people thought of him. Removing play calling. Allowing the team to be run first. Going for it on 4th when others wouldn't. He just seemed to not care what people thought of him. This year he seems to care what everybody thinks of him. Like he's trying to prove that he deserves the spotlight he receives. He's coaching for approval instead of coaching to win.

There's still a chance to turn it around. They can clearly see what works and what doesn't. I don't have any faith that they will but there is a chance.

We were winning so the sloppy play didn’t really matter, we all just kinda hoped that the team would improve. After the Bills win our luck ran out and we got demolished by quality teams and never got our mojo back.

Djax kept telling us our sloppy play was gonna catch up to us, and it did.

After SF tore us a new one we all expected some changes, but they never came. We actually got worse, especially on defense.

I feel like this team has lost its heart and is already kinda checked out for the season, I know the fans are.

No Super Bowl repeat. It was an ambitious goal anyway, frankly.

We were winning so the sloppy play didn’t really matter, we all just kinda hoped that the team would improve. After the Bills win our luck ran out and we got demolished by quality teams and never got our mojo back.

Djax kept telling us our sloppy play was gonna catch up to us, and it did.

After SF tore us a new one we all expected some changes, but they never came. We actually got worse, especially on defense.

I feel like this team has lost its heart and is already kinda checked out for the season, I know the fans are.

No Super Bowl repeat. It was an ambitious goal anyway, frankly.
The “changes” were quietly shifting defensive playcalling duties, but it didn’t make a difference.

The defense needs an entirely new scheme and coaching staff. And more talent at LB and in the secondary.

There's nothing we can do to help the defense this year. But this offense has a couple easy changes that can make it a 40+ ppg team. This in turn will help the defense.

Again no faith they make the changes. We'll see how desperate they feel.

There's nothing we can do to help the defense this year. But this offense has a couple easy changes that can make it a 40+ ppg team. This in turn will help the defense.

Did you mean 30 PPG? No offense in the history of the league has ever averaged 40 PPG.

I can only think of one game, vs Minnesota, where we ran the ball like we should. Maybe they try to do it again? Seems like it's too late in the game to change what we are. And our coaches are too dumb

Did you mean 30 PPG? No offense in the history of the league has ever averaged 40 PPG.
Over this next few games they could.

I still can’t believe we had 1st and 20 and went with 2 QB runs with our gimpy slide happy qb and a screen. This offense has Hurts, Swift, Brown, Smith and Goedert and that’s the path they chose. To play for a FG when your defense had given up 3 straight 70+ yard TD drives.

I still can’t believe we had 1st and 20 and went with 2 QB runs with our gimpy slide happy qb and a screen. This offense has Hurts, Swift, Brown, Smith and Goedert and that’s the path they chose. To play for a FG when your defense had given up 3 straight 70+ yard TD drives.

***** playcalling. Nothing else to call it

Users who are viewing this thread