What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (1 Viewer)

I honestly think people are overrating this guy a ton. I'm not saying he's not a good player but people are acting like he's a once in a lifetime talent. I've seen this take too many times in the NBA draft only for mist of those players never live up to that potential. He's also coming from the Big12 conference which IMHO is like an arena football league or backyard forrtball conference. Its not known for it's defense. If this guy came from the SEC or B1G conference or even the ACC I'd give a lot more thought to it. We also don't do well drafting players skill wise from the Big12. Hurts is an SEC player more so then a Big12 guy.

People are also forgetting ATL needs an RB. Yes people are mocking OL to them but in typical ATL fashion they usually go in the opposite of what people think. I could see them taking Robinson at 7 honestly.

And I just saw something on CSN Chicago that a Redditor who broke the DJ Moore CHI trade is now saying they've heard CHI is likely to take Bijan.

Either way my point is a lot of this Bijan talk could be all moot by our Pick tomorrow night

I don't see the point of taking him, but I won't be upset if the Eagles do.
The point of taking him is that we would immediately be the best offense in the league. He would be BPA where we draft. And he fills a need. Anyone feeling like Penny can make up the 275-300 carries we got from Miles is fooling themselves.

Eagles will use a RBBC approach to the carries. Gainwell barely got any carries in the regular season and then in the playoffs was splitting carries 50/50 with Sanders. My best guess is the Eagles will use the same approach this season. Gainwell will get increased production from 53 carries in 2022 to ~175-200 carries in 2023. They're probably hoping Penny can stay healthy give them maybe ~125-150 carries. Boston Scott will eat up the rest.

It makes much more sense to get a defensive player and use a later pick on a RB than use the #10 pick on a RB and blow up your cap space budget on the position at RB going forward. Like I said, I don't see the point of doing that, but I won't be upset.
Why would you blow up your cap space?

Because if you draft Robinson at 10 you're paying $4M, $5M, $6M, and then $7M for the running back position. They are usually around the $3-5M range for RB spending. So they're blowing (and in years 3 and 4 going over) their entire budget on one guy.

Looking at future years, they're going to have some rather substantial dead money hits for older guys they kicked the can on coming up during this rookie contract (Cox, Slay, Kelce, etc.). It's prudent to draft positions that the NFL values more at the top of the draft (QB, DL, OL) than a position that is undervalued in the NFL. If you feel strongly that you need a #1 RB type, they are available every offseason for cheap. Miles Sanders cap hit for 2023 will be $2.5M and the Eagles balked.
6 million is NOT blowing up any budget, regardless of position. I find that thought odd and confusing. It's ok to spend 50 million on one guy, but 5 or 6 million on another stud is too much?

The RB pendulum has swung far far too far. He's well worth a first. Is he worth the 10 pick? Maybe....I certainly wouldn't be upset.
There's really no evidence a RB makes a difference on a SB team. The only one for his drafted team since 05 to have made a direct impact on his team getting there is Todd Gurley. You could argue Sony Michel in the same SB but he wasn't even the starting RB on his team that year.

Think of it like a fantasy draft. Would you draft a QB (Mahomes) in the first round because he's the best or wait till round 6 or 7 because they're the 5-10th best and will still get you decent scoring while you can fill out your roster with better players at other positions?
Emmitt Smith might disagree. Trends are trends until they aren't trends anymore. Our current RB's are Penny, who is always hurt, Scott who is not a bellcow guy, and Gainwell, who, despite having the best offensive line in football, has averaged 4.3 and 4.5 YPC the past 2 years. There's plenty evidence out there for teams that have 2 great WR's a really good tight end and a really good RB that the offense is VERY hard to stop. Think about the Marshall Faulk Rams and the Edgerrin James Colts

Emmitt Smith played in a non-salary cap era. Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln.

Also, to those who don't think going over your budget by $6M isn't a big deal...It's the difference between having Reed Blankenship at S or CJGJ.
good grief....6 million isn't even going over the (NON EXISTENT) budget by 6 million. What's the budget for a decent starting RB? ZERO?

We didn't go there anyway, but I say again the pendulum has swung a ridiculously long way in the "RBs don't matter" direction

The Eagles spend ~5M per year on the RB position. That's total. Not just for one guy.
Sigh. So 5 or 6 million 3 years from now is a significant raise from this 5 or 6 million total now?

Look....I was hesitant on using pick 10 on him (honestly had some hope we might move back 5 picks or so and pick up value and still get him)...I totally get that RB values in general are lower then they were even just 10 years ago let alone 25-30 years ago. But talking about 6 million being too much for a RB while accepting paying another guy 50 million is crazy to me. Bijan looks like a terrific young player, and yes the difference between a stud like (what he projects to be) and JAG playing the position is absolutely worth a half a percentage point of the cap. I'm flabbergasted that folks worry about spending 2 or 3 million extra of the cap at the position.

In the end we didn't overpay for a RB, and I think Carter was absoultely the right pick.

I think you and a lot of others are really overrating Bijan. Good player sure but lets remember what conference he played in. Marquis Brown was this supposed great player from OU and he's now in ARZ, was injured a lot and hasn't done much. Granted he's had two incredible poor QB trying to get him the ball, but he was sought out as this difference maker to make his team better. He also was in the same conference.

I honestly think people are overrating this guy a ton. I'm not saying he's not a good player but people are acting like he's a once in a lifetime talent. I've seen this take too many times in the NBA draft only for mist of those players never live up to that potential. He's also coming from the Big12 conference which IMHO is like an arena football league or backyard forrtball conference. Its not known for it's defense. If this guy came from the SEC or B1G conference or even the ACC I'd give a lot more thought to it. We also don't do well drafting players skill wise from the Big12. Hurts is an SEC player more so then a Big12 guy.

People are also forgetting ATL needs an RB. Yes people are mocking OL to them but in typical ATL fashion they usually go in the opposite of what people think. I could see them taking Robinson at 7 honestly.

And I just saw something on CSN Chicago that a Redditor who broke the DJ Moore CHI trade is now saying they've heard CHI is likely to take Bijan.

Either way my point is a lot of this Bijan talk could be all moot by our Pick tomorrow night

The point of taking him is that we would immediately be the best offense in the league. He would be BPA where we draft. And he fills a need. Anyone feeling like Penny can make up the 275-300 carries we got from Miles is fooling themselves.

Eagles will use a RBBC approach to the carries. Gainwell barely got any carries in the regular season and then in the playoffs was splitting carries 50/50 with Sanders. My best guess is the Eagles will use the same approach this season. Gainwell will get increased production from 53 carries in 2022 to ~175-200 carries in 2023. They're probably hoping Penny can stay healthy give them maybe ~125-150 carries. Boston Scott will eat up the rest.

It makes much more sense to get a defensive player and use a later pick on a RB than use the #10 pick on a RB and blow up your cap space budget on the position at RB going forward. Like I said, I don't see the point of doing that, but I won't be upset.

Because if you draft Robinson at 10 you're paying $4M, $5M, $6M, and then $7M for the running back position. They are usually around the $3-5M range for RB spending. So they're blowing (and in years 3 and 4 going over) their entire budget on one guy.

Looking at future years, they're going to have some rather substantial dead money hits for older guys they kicked the can on coming up during this rookie contract (Cox, Slay, Kelce, etc.). It's prudent to draft positions that the NFL values more at the top of the draft (QB, DL, OL) than a position that is undervalued in the NFL. If you feel strongly that you need a #1 RB type, they are available every offseason for cheap. Miles Sanders cap hit for 2023 will be $2.5M and the Eagles balked.
6 million is NOT blowing up any budget, regardless of position. I find that thought odd and confusing. It's ok to spend 50 million on one guy, but 5 or 6 million on another stud is too much?

The RB pendulum has swung far far too far. He's well worth a first. Is he worth the 10 pick? Maybe....I certainly wouldn't be upset.
There's really no evidence a RB makes a difference on a SB team. The only one for his drafted team since 05 to have made a direct impact on his team getting there is Todd Gurley. You could argue Sony Michel in the same SB but he wasn't even the starting RB on his team that year.

Think of it like a fantasy draft. Would you draft a QB (Mahomes) in the first round because he's the best or wait till round 6 or 7 because they're the 5-10th best and will still get you decent scoring while you can fill out your roster with better players at other positions?
Emmitt Smith might disagree. Trends are trends until they aren't trends anymore. Our current RB's are Penny, who is always hurt, Scott who is not a bellcow guy, and Gainwell, who, despite having the best offensive line in football, has averaged 4.3 and 4.5 YPC the past 2 years. There's plenty evidence out there for teams that have 2 great WR's a really good tight end and a really good RB that the offense is VERY hard to stop. Think about the Marshall Faulk Rams and the Edgerrin James Colts

Emmitt Smith played in a non-salary cap era. Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln.

Also, to those who don't think going over your budget by $6M isn't a big deal...It's the difference between having Reed Blankenship at S or CJGJ.
good grief....6 million isn't even going over the (NON EXISTENT) budget by 6 million. What's the budget for a decent starting RB? ZERO?

We didn't go there anyway, but I say again the pendulum has swung a ridiculously long way in the "RBs don't matter" direction

The Eagles spend ~5M per year on the RB position. That's total. Not just for one guy.
Sigh. So 5 or 6 million 3 years from now is a significant raise from this 5 or 6 million total now?

Look....I was hesitant on using pick 10 on him (honestly had some hope we might move back 5 picks or so and pick up value and still get him)...I totally get that RB values in general are lower then they were even just 10 years ago let alone 25-30 years ago. But talking about 6 million being too much for a RB while accepting paying another guy 50 million is crazy to me. Bijan looks like a terrific young player, and yes the difference between a stud like (what he projects to be) and JAG playing the position is absolutely worth a half a percentage point of the cap. I'm flabbergasted that folks worry about spending 2 or 3 million extra of the cap at the position.

In the end we didn't overpay for a RB, and I think Carter was absoultely the right pick.
I think a key factor being overlooked in this discussion is the 2nd contract. That’s when a high-profile RB becomes expensive and usually cost prohibitive or crippling. So they are very unlikely to get one with the team that drafted them , and if they do, that team usually regrets it.

Whereas, if you use that draft pick resource on a position you will gladly re-sign to another contract (or even a 3rd one down the line) and pay market price for, it’s measurably a more valuable use of resources.
:goodposting::moneybag:

The outcome of last night’s First Round was pretty much the ONLY scenario with us not getting Bijan that could still unite all of Philadelphia to be satisfied today.

Anything else, and we would still be wasting time and energy on lamenting the loss of Bijan.

I'm still not happy taking Carter but I'd rather take him then Bijan. I would've rather taken Smith and with 3O traded back or taken Torrence OT or Branchbut I can't argue with the great Value we got on Smith. It's similar to Dean last year but I think Dean might be better value considering the round we took him and where he was projected to be. I do get the Carter choice so I won't harp on it too much and he's got guys from his UGA time here to watch him

The outcome of last night’s First Round was pretty much the ONLY scenario with us not getting Bijan that could still unite all of Philadelphia to be satisfied today.

Anything else, and we would still be wasting time and energy on lamenting the loss of Bijan.
I think the Falcons taking him before our pick relieved us of that issue. As much as people wanted him I dont think they wanted to trade up and get him.

What happened last night is a reason why I stopped even looking at mocks. If someone had that they'd be ridiculed beyond belief lol

trapdogg was all over Bijan to the Falcons in his mock.

I even put that Bijan to ATL out there as well as maybe CHI. But it's typical ATL. They need OL/and Def help but go and take he sexy highlight guy instead.

Yeah I think at this point we can safely say we aren't going to be adding to the RB room. Maybe maybe we draft Charbonnet? I just don't see it though. Really really REALLY want to get Branch somehow, maybe trade for Budda Baker? Gonna beat that drum until it's locked in that we are NOT getting him. Cody Mauch is a guy I got my eye on. Hyatt or Mims as the slot guy in maybe round 3?
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they draft a RB in the midrounds.

Zach Evans please. Or Christian Rodriquez JR out of UK late

Yeah I think at this point we can safely say we aren't going to be adding to the RB room. Maybe maybe we draft Charbonnet? I just don't see it though. Really really REALLY want to get Branch somehow, maybe trade for Budda Baker? Gonna beat that drum until it's locked in that we are NOT getting him. Cody Mauch is a guy I got my eye on. Hyatt or Mims as the slot guy in maybe round 3?

I’m a big fan of Rodriguez because I’m a UK fan, but he will probably go undrafted and will sign as an UDFA. But someone may bite in the 6th or 7th round.

Last edited:
Has there ever been a dynamic where an entire unit has all played at a high level in college together let alone won titles? At any position? I can't remember any group having 3 players from the same school let alone the same years they were all there.
Closest thing I can think of was Kendricks & Barr to Minnesota from UCLA in back to back years. Both were phenoms as Bruins and as Vikes. But not three players, which by the way is 4 players with Dean.

Speaking of UCLA, Charbonnet would be a great fit here as a better version of Jordan Howard paired with Penny/Gainwell. He'd easily take over those goal line carries from Hurts with confidence. If he gets into the third round, it's value+++. I still don't understand how Sermon would fit into the room, so if he's slated for a role then probably no RB drafted at all. But one can hope.

They see Sermon/penny in the Jordan Howard role. Sermon has been plagued by Injuries and was literally cut by SF who needed RBs. He wasn't impressive when he did get a chance. First game and carry he had was against us where he fumbled his first touch. OSU RB's are hard to gauge at times. You could get a good one for a few yrs in Zeke and then you get duds like Sermon, Mike Webber, Beanie Wells, etc. Or you end up with The Texas Tornado Eddie George.

I’m a big fan of Rodriguez because I’m a UK fan, but he will probably go undrafted and will sign as an UFA. But someone may bite in the 6th or 7th round.

He's a guy if a team feels they won't be able to compete with In UDFA for him would take him in the late rounds. Eagles did this with Jordan Malaitta.

They matter they just aren't bell cows anymore. The avg career of an NFL RB is barely 3 yrs. Meanwhile you can get a OL or DL or WR or QB high and could be there for the next decade. So how would you want to use your economical resources? Let me ask you this. Are DAL and NYG any better then they were before taking Zeke and Saquan because my answer would be about the same or worse now that all that money is loaded up on that position.
There's still a big bust rate in the second half of the first. FIVE years of cost control is valuable too. Take the player who's gonna have the best impact for the next 5 years, and let years 6+ take care of themselves

Users who are viewing this thread