What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (1 Viewer)

I liked what CJGJ brought to the team, but he's not worth what he's going to be making. Good for him on getting paid after this season, but he's not a top 5 safety.

I'm curious wo your top 5 are. Jessie Bates is one and is an FA this year. There's really one safety on the open market outside of CJGJ worth giving money too and that Nassir Aderley the Chargers player who's a local kid who played at Delaware and we too both Sanders and JJAW over and was picked a few picks later.
PFFs list has him at 6. I wouldn't argue too hard against that list.

CJGJ's play puts him clearly in the top 10 last year.

He is young and talented. I'd love to keep him. If he is going to break the bank: "Good luck, and thanks for the great play last year."

I was more so curious his top 5 and who'd he replace him with. Going from him to Blankenship and Epps or another avg Safety is a huge Downgrade.
Hmm, no fair enough, that was an off the cuff remark, I haven't looked at the state of safeties around the league. Let me rephrase, I don't think he's worth a 4yr, 70-75 million dollar deal, like a top 5 safety should get. He'll likely get that, and I don't think that is commiserate with what he'd bring to the team.
I don't know about him getting top 5 money. We shall see. His personality with be an automatic "NO" for a decent chunk of teams. I'm guessing he lands around the 14-$15M range, I don't see him getting the Derwin James type of contract.

The most optimistic cap space projections for 2023 will have them able to open $30-$35 million in space for 2023. That would involve re-structuring Slay (also something I doubt happens, I think they will be looking to shed his contract after 2023 so no way they tie up future cap on him for his 33yo+ seasons; they just cross their fingers and hope his bad back half of 2023 was not a permanent drop off and they get one more good season from him before his contract goes from a $24MM dead cap hit to $0), doing some early payouts/restructuring of Kelce (which they have started on already), doing Hurts' new deal (which will actually lower his 2023 hit), kicking the can down the road again with Lane's contract (since he looks to be playing at least 2 more years), then cutting Quez, and lastly restructuring Elliot and extending Lovato (again.)
Looks like they have made it known to Slay they won't extend him so he's asked to look for a trade that might get him somewhere in a deal that will include an extension.

And they checked the Elliot extension off the "free up cap" list.

I think next up will be the Lane restructure and then trading Quez for a 5th or 6th in the upcoming draft.

Eagles have allowed Darius Slay's agent, Rosenhaus, to seek a trade, although they hope to keep him.
(per @diannaESPN)

32 years old, final year of his deal and we can use the picks.
yeah, it is certainly interesting. after being captain last year, i wonder if their is dissention in the Eagles locker room or what, like is he that upset that Denard Wilson didn't get the Defensive coordinator position?

The most optimistic cap space projections for 2023 will have them able to open $30-$35 million in space for 2023. That would involve re-structuring Slay (also something I doubt happens, I think they will be looking to shed his contract after 2023 so no way they tie up future cap on him for his 33yo+ seasons; they just cross their fingers and hope his bad back half of 2023 was not a permanent drop off and they get one more good season from him before his contract goes from a $24MM dead cap hit to $0), doing some early payouts/restructuring of Kelce (which they have started on already), doing Hurts' new deal (which will actually lower his 2023 hit), kicking the can down the road again with Lane's contract (since he looks to be playing at least 2 more years), then cutting Quez, and lastly restructuring Elliot and extending Lovato (again.)
Looks like they have made it known to Slay they won't extend him so he's asked to look for a trade that might get him somewhere in a deal that will include an extension.

And they checked the Elliot extension off the "free up cap" list.

I think next up will be the Lane restructure and then trading Quez for a 5th or 6th in the upcoming draft.
good call on that one. hope it isn't a sour taste for either side and just a business move. with Slay being captain last year, you have to think there are some teams who come calling....

Eagles have allowed Darius Slay's agent, Rosenhaus, to seek a trade, although they hope to keep him.
(per @diannaESPN)

yeah, it is certainly interesting. after being captain last year, i wonder if their is dissention in the Eagles locker room or what, like is he that upset that Denard Wilson didn't get the Defensive coordinator position?
Maybe. It does seem weird, but I guess he wants to also get paid one last time. Seems they are just trying to keep him "as happy as possible" but this is a bummer.

(per @diannaESPN)

This is the year for him to get an extension. 32 years old, coming off a Super Bowl run, as a starting CB in one of the best pass defense. He should be able to get paid. Next year as a FA? He'd be 33, and could easily take a step back, and it'll be harder to get $$. From his POV it's the right move, can't blame him for wanting a trade to get an extension if the Eagles can't.

If Slay is traded they take on $22 mil in dead money. Sounds like this is just part of the negotiations, let them see what they can find out there then come back and make a deal. The Patricia thing was a dumb rumor, nothing to do with this, he just wants an extension. It's his last chance to get paid. My question is how far do you want to extend a 32 year old CB? Technically, Eagles could do nothing, have him play the last year and say goodbye. Be shocked if a trade happens.

If Slay is traded they take on $22 mil in dead money. Sounds like this is just part of the negotiations, let them see what they can find out there then come back and make a deal. The Patricia thing was a dumb rumor, nothing to do with this, he just wants an extension. It's his last chance to get paid. My question is how far do you want to extend a 32 year old CB? Technically, Eagles could do nothing, have him play the last year and say goodbye. Be shocked if a trade happens.
But there's still cap savings. If he plays out the last year and then leaves, we're still going to have a cap hit, that's the breaks with how we do contracts, there's always a ton of dead money way out. And frankly that's the only we fielded a competitive team these past two years, otherwise when the cap contracted after COVID we'd have been seriously screwed.

But there's still cap savings. If he plays out the last year and then leaves, we're still going to have a cap hit, that's the breaks with how we do contracts, there's always a ton of dead money way out. And frankly that's the only we fielded a competitive team these past two years, otherwise when the cap contracted after COVID we'd have been seriously screwed.
Really hope he learns his market isn't what it used to be and we can get him relatively cheap on an extension, but I'd be very surprised if we do extend him at age 32.

Really hope he learns his market isn't what it used to be and we can get him relatively cheap on an extension, but I'd be very surprised if we do extend him at age 32.
And I think that's why they're letting them look. They'll find no team is going to offer a good enough trade PLUS give him the money he wants, not at his age, and not with a deep CB draft upcoming. Reports I'm seeing say Slay didn't ask for a trade. it's a pure negotiating tactic that maybe the Eagles leaked, but who knows.

The savings if they trade him is like $3mil, not worth it unless someone offers a 2, but what team will do that? Now if it freed up enough money to resign Bradberry, I'd get it, otherwise doesn't make sense.

I liked what CJGJ brought to the team, but he's not worth what he's going to be making. Good for him on getting paid after this season, but he's not a top 5 safety.

I'm curious wo your top 5 are. Jessie Bates is one and is an FA this year. There's really one safety on the open market outside of CJGJ worth giving money too and that Nassir Aderley the Chargers player who's a local kid who played at Delaware and we too both Sanders and JJAW over and was picked a few picks later.

He is young and talented. I'd love to keep him. If he is going to break the bank: "Good luck, and thanks for the great play last year."

I was more so curious his top 5 and who'd he replace him with. Going from him to Blankenship and Epps or another avg Safety is a huge Downgrade.
Hmm, no fair enough, that was an off the cuff remark, I haven't looked at the state of safeties around the league. Let me rephrase, I don't think he's worth a 4yr, 70-75 million dollar deal, like a top 5 safety should get. He'll likely get that, and I don't think that is commiserate with what he'd bring to the team.
I don't know about him getting top 5 money. We shall see. His personality with be an automatic "NO" for a decent chunk of teams. I'm guessing he lands around the 14-$15M range, I don't see him getting the Derwin James type of contract.

Thats the type of personality teams want in a Safety. I feel guys like him and JuJu get underrated because people look at the personality and don't put everything together. Joakim Noah was the same way. He might have been one of the best all around C's during his time outside jumping shooting but people dogged him for his personality. These are guys you love to hate if they aren't on your team and guys when they're on your team they are loved.

I'll put it this way any safety we sign on the open market will cost a lot. Bates, Adderly, CJGJ, Marcus Allen, Vonn Bell, etc. Spotrac projects CJGJ getting a contract like this though 5 years, $66,658,780$ avg PPY 13,331,756

(per @diannaESPN)

He wants a new new. My biggest fear is looking at the team right now who we might resign etc I'm looking at a pretty down year for us right now and when I mean down we aren't going to be as close as good as we are this year. We should make the playoffs but right now that's based on how avg the NFC as a whole is currently. Teams got a better playbook offensively now. Can the Eagles coaches adjust? We might be in a ton of shootouts this year at this rate.

Patricia being in the same building as Slay might have something to do with it

I heard that was nothing more then Boston reporter he's friendly with trying to Draw up some interest in him. No different then a players agent coming out say "we got multiple teams interested" when reality is they have 1 team or nothing. After his DET time Patricia isn't viewed kindly around the league. He was apparently a pass game coordinator for NE and I heard there was issues between him and Jones. NE coaches with Josh McDaniel , BOB and him aren't being well received around the league anymore. They are coming in with the BB my way or the highway attitude with zero room to adapt. When you are winning like NE was over the years its easier to put up with all the ******** from what I've heard from former NE players. It's why guys like Blount and Long said they had more time winning a title here then NE. They couldn't even have any in NE.

Basically from what I've heard is if NE continues to struggle players aren't gonna buy into BB's ******** much longer. It's an easy thing to do when you are having the success they did and BB and NE got lucky with a BS call against OAK and having Tom for yrs. Now that that's dried up BB needs to adapt. I think BB gets a longer leash then other coaches based on past success but if he loses the locker room he's done

This is why Chip Kelly never worked in the NFL for long.

BG back for one more year!

Never a question he wasn't going anywhere. Just like Kelce. He either retires or plays one more. Considering BG and Kelce are neighbors I think Kelce comes back one more year. Then they ride off into the sun set and have play dates with their kids.

Brandon Graham on taking a large paycut to stay in Philly:

“It wasn't about the money. I love Philly. I don't want to miss a championship with Jalen. Jalen is the man. I just told my agent make it happen."

“It wasn't about the money. I love Philly. I don't want to miss a championship with Jalen. Jalen is the man. I just told my agent make it happen."
stuff like this makes me like Hurts more and more. Wasn't a believer in September, but 150% sold now

stuff like this makes me like Hurts more and more. Wasn't a believer in September, but 150% sold now

Give me another year like this year and I might be sold. Hurts issue throughout his playing career has been consistency and taking that into either the next game or next year.. I still don't think with his playing style he's gonna be in the league very long unless he changes his style a bit. His mobility is his best asset.

Fingers crossed that Joey Porter Jr is there for Philly at 10. His closest spider chart comp is Sauce Gardner. Only player I'd consider over him is Jalen Carter if he drops because his legal issues. Let Slay play out his final year and let Bradberry walk.

CJGJ is the only FA I would consider bringing back. He's versatile enough to play CB or S. He brings an attitude as well.

Also, Hargrave is at the age where DTs fall off the cliff. Eagles better not re-sign him. Let him go and hope Jordan Davis can fill the void.

Fingers crossed that Joey Porter Jr is there for Philly at 10. His closest spider chart comp is Sauce Gardner. Only player I'd consider over him is Jalen Carter if he drops because his legal issues. Let Slay play out his final year and let Bradberry walk.

CJGJ is the only FA I would consider bringing back. He's versatile enough to play CB or S. He brings an attitude as well.

Also, Hargrave is at the age where DTs fall off the cliff. Eagles better not re-sign him. Let him go and hope Jordan Davis can fill the void.
I like him too, some of my guys are telling me he is not a great fit for the scheme as he is more a Man guy. I say "if you can play man you sure as hell should be able to play zone"

I haven't seen him mocked that high, I think we could trade back and get him. What are your thoughts on the other 2 CBs? Good chance 2 or even all 3 are there when we pick, which I'd love to trade back if that's the case.

I figured Hargrave was gone- just too expensive. But, was hoping TJ would’ve been re-signed.

Please, Howie, make an effort to keep Kyzir White!

I haven't seen him mocked that high, I think we could trade back and get him. What are your thoughts on the other 2 CBs? Good chance 2 or even all 3 are there when we pick, which I'd love to trade back if that's the case.

Watch Porter play a lot. He comes from a football family so you know he'll be the ultimate professional.

Not in love with Ringo. He never jumped out at me as a great CB. If Porter is gone, I'd probably go OL or DL with my first pick and try and piece mail the secondary for a year.

Didn't see Gonzalez play so I don't have an opinion on him. His spider comps are Will Blackmon, Jaycee Horn.

Hargrave to the Niners damn. 4/80
That's all? I thought he's get more but maybe it's all guaranteed.
40 mil guaranteed
Crazy good deal. Makes Niners that much better adding Hargrave to Bosa.
Yeah but they lost to us b/c they couldn't block Reddick or didn't want to. And they lost McGlinchey now too. Still have a ? who is the QB. They will have a winning record for sure, but I"m not scared of them by any stretch.

Watch Porter play a lot. He comes from a football family so you know he'll be the ultimate professional.

Not in love with Ringo. He never jumped out at me as a great CB. If Porter is gone, I'd probably go OL or DL with my first pick and try and piece mail the secondary for a year.

Didn't see Gonzalez play so I don't have an opinion on him. His spider comps are Will Blackmon, Jaycee Horn.
Meant Witherspoon. He's being mocked to us everywhere. They're saying Gonzalez is shaping up to be the clear first CB so we likely don't get him anyways. I know mocks aren't everything but Porter going usually in the mid to late teens. Never seen him top 10 so I'm confident he'll be there when we pick but we could trade back at that point.

I have a feeling Porter is the Steeler's target. If the Eagles trade down, I could see the Steelers attempting to leap frog them by trading up.

Users who are viewing this thread