What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (4 Viewers)

Was listening to the Go Birds pod and ESP said Jalen has not made a bad throw yet this camp. Like literally had never put the ball in harms way.

Book your tickets to Las Vegas now.

Just checked my timeshare, already no availability for Superbowl weekend. Damn!
I'd guess that no matter what teams are there, it's going to be the most expensive super bowl of all time and it won't be close.

Regular season games in that stadium you're paying $600 a ticket for nosebleeds. Man let me win the Superbowl lottery if the Eagles get there.
I was in Vegas for work and got a ticket to the post-covid first home opener with fans (vs BAL) for just over $100... just had to wait for the game to start first.
Awesome game, cool stadium, and unique experience. It was like 1/2 Raiders fans, 1/4 Ravens fans, and 1/4 tourists / drunks.
I think it's the only time I've seen the home QB have to try to quiet his own home crowd multiple times in a game.

Over/under on Eagles wins this year appears to be 11.5 wins.

If you think the Eagles were good just because they had "an easy schedule" last year, and looking at the fact they have the toughest schedule this year, on paper, surely the naysayers are taking the under, right?

I'm right at 12-13 this year waiting to see how they look in preseason and ongoing training camp battles.

If you think the Eagles were good just because they had "an easy schedule" last year, and looking at the fact they have the toughest schedule this year, on paper, surely the naysayers are taking the under, right?

I'm right at 12-13 this year waiting to see how they look in preseason and ongoing training camp battles.
I don't believe last year was a fluke or the product of an easy schedule, but I'm thinking the under this year - 10/11 wins. I think the team can still be just as talented or better than last year, but a lot went right for them including health. I also believe the Super Bowl hangover think is real.

I want to be wrong.

I don't believe last year was a fluke or the product of an easy schedule, but I'm thinking the under this year - 10/11 wins. I think the team can still be just as talented or better than last year, but a lot went right for them including health. I also believe the Super Bowl hangover think is real.

I want to be wrong.
Looking at the rest of the NFC, and considering our QB was runner up for MVP and put up a legendary performance in the Super Bowl, I'm taking the over. The QB power in the NFC is weak to say the least. You got Hurts and the rest of these guys vying to be the 2nd best QB in the conference

Solid yet unspectacular guys:

Cousins
Goff
Dak
Geno Smith

Question/We don't know guys

Danny Dimes
Fields
Bryce
Carr
Love

i think they win like 10 or 11. so under. but pls surprise me birds

I want to be wrong.

The health is more important than the schedule.

It's hard to win in the NFL, Superbowl hangover, relying on rookies / 2nd years, can't predict injuries, can't take anything for granted, etc.
Howie's done a good job putting us in a good position again, but I'd take the under and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I think they are going to win 12-13 games this year. The NFC is still weak. Every NFC team has legit question marks- and that's not even taking injuries into the equation. IMO, the Eagles are still the best team in the NFC. We still have quite a bit of depth to deal with inevitable injuries this season. But, if anything happens to Hurts, stick a fork in them. Was never a huge Mariota fan, and word out of camp is he is abysmal.

Why I could see them falling to 10-11 wins instead (without significant injury):
2 new coordinators. Desai probably having more of an impact (both positive and negative)

LB position still unsettled. Nakobe Dean has never played MLB before. And he didn't really see the field much last season. I don't think losing White was too big a deal- he played well, but not elite. TJ Edwards is not a guy who gets a lot of pub, but he played surprisingly well last year. To expect Dean to step in and replicate his 160+ tackles from last year, and make all the calls is a big ask. I think there could be a lot of growing pains the first 5ish games of the season. And who is going to get the start opposite Dean? Morrow? Elliss? FA/trade signing?

Safety is unsettled. Reed Blankenship played great last year, for a guy stepping in after injury. Hopefully, he remains a solid starter. But that's a lot of "hope". Who starts opposite him? K'von Wallace has been getting a lot of 1st team reps in camp. :scream: That doesn't exactly breed confidence. Sydney Brown isn't going to be ready to see the field until late in the season, if at all. So, either Edmunds or Evans has to step up and fill that role. I don't think Edmunds is bad, but he's JAG. If there are any pre-season Howie splash moves, I really hope it's at Safety.

The Offense is going to have to carry the Defense early on. Thankfully, the really grueling part of the schedule doesn't come until Week 6/7/8.

Jalen is killing it

"I didn't go through fire just to smell smoke." - Jalen "Metaphor King" Hurts

yeah but these numbers dont lie

from cbs

Jalen Hurts is on another level​

Hurts is already one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL, yet the Eagles quarterback is having his best start to training camp of his four-year career. Don't keep quarterback stats in camp, but he was tracked by several writers as going 15 of 17 with two touchdowns and no interceptions for what it's worth. Hurts is 50 of 60 for four touchdowns and zero interceptions through four practices.

Take practice numbers as they are, but Hurts has displayed excellent decision-making and arm motion throughout camp. He's processing information quicker and is on another level with his top two targets -- A.J. Brown and DeVonta Smith.

Hurts got off to a strong start in camp last year and never stopped. Excellent sign for the Eagles.

That could just mean that our secondary and linebackers are in trouble this year.
Slay’s play fell off at the end of last year too. Look at his first and second half of the season numbers. Plus we downgraded at Safety

They have new cordinators on both sides. DL and Edge rush looks good but we sevrely downgraded on Safety. I’m going with 10 wins for now given the harder schedule to go with it

Nakobe Dean is day to day with an ankle injury.
Yeah, and instead of putting Morrow in for 1st team reps, Smith filled in as an off-ball LB. Curious

They're trying to get him on the field in any capacity.
Not a fan of this. He's not an off ball LB. And we already don't value it, so to me it doesn't make sense. Train him as if he is Reddick and all should be fine.

I think we’re going to see some bizarre defensive formations this year from several teams but specifically both of ours.

Think Jerry Glanvilles “Grits Blitz” and your boy Buddy Ryan’s 46 scheme.

Yeah, and instead of putting Morrow in for 1st team reps, Smith filled in as an off-ball LB. Curious

Not a fan of this. He's not an off ball LB. And we already don't value it, so to me it doesn't make sense. Train him as if he is Reddick and all should be fine.

I think we’re going to see some bizarre defensive formations this year from several teams but specifically both of ours.

I agree with this. At least on our side, I have read that Desai likes to do more "overloaded" looks, so we might/should see a few defensive looks where guys that "play the same position" are both on the field. Like Jordan Davis, Cox, Milton Williams and Carter at once or Reddick and Nolan Smith on the field together. Should be fun!

I agree with this. At least on our side, I have read that Desai likes to do more "overloaded" looks, so we might/should see a few defensive looks where guys that "play the same position" are both on the field. Like Jordan Davis, Cox, Milton Williams and Carter at once or Reddick and Nolan Smith on the field together. Should be fun!
Yeah, I am really excited to see what Desai can cook up. I'm honestly just relieved to be rid of Gannon, but excited to see what Desai does with all of this talent.

Yeah, I am really excited to see what Desai can cook up. I'm honestly just relieved to be rid of Gannon, but excited to see what Desai does with all of this talent.
Me too. If he can get 18+ sacks out of Robert Quinn and all, I'm very curious/excited to see what he can do w this front 7.

Me too. If he can get 18+ sacks out of Robert Quinn and all, I'm very curious/excited to see what he can do w this front 7.

Robert Quinn has always been a sack master, the only thing that’s ever stopped him was scheme changes. He’s a horrific run stopper.

Robert Quinn has always been a sack master, the only thing that’s ever stopped him was scheme changes. He’s a horrific run stopper.
Yeah. Not last year. At all lol. Best 5 seasons are 19, 18.5, 11.5, 10.5 and 10.5 out of 12 pro seasons. Desai got the most sacks out of him other than the year he was 23 years old at his age 31 season. Bodes well for Sweat/BG/Reddick IMO.

Love these signings. Howie continues to amaze. Didn't realize we cut Taylor. Thought he had potential. Oh well

Love these signings. Howie continues to amaze. Didn't realize we cut Taylor. Thought he had potential. Oh well

Ive wanted Jack for awhile and if Zach stays Healthy he’s a great run stopper

have you seen the eagles LB depth? we needed people badly

Yes, and it's Howie who is listening to analytics and devaluing ILBs. It's a smart move by your GM. Again. There, credit where credit is due. But Myles Jack and Zach Cunningham probably aren't your answers there.
He's not gonna trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a solid player. Other than these 2 guys, or similar street free agents, there really isn't much to be done halfway thru training camp to improve the position. Relying on Nicholas Morrow and an UDFA from last year to fill the roles beside Dean probably wasn't the answer either. Can't have premium depth at every position. Definitely the weakest spot on the entire roster and certainly could prove to be an Achilles heel.

Yes, and it's Howie who is listening to analytics and devaluing ILBs. It's a smart move by your GM. Again. There, credit where credit is due. But Myles Jack and Zach Cunningham probably aren't your answers there.
He's not gonna trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a solid player. Other than these 2 guys, or similar street free agents, there really isn't much to be done halfway thru training camp to improve the position. Relying on Nicholas Morrow and an UDFA from last year to fill the roles beside Dean probably wasn't the answer either. Can't have premium depth at every position. Definitely the weakest spot on the entire roster and certainly could prove to be an Achilles heel.

Eagles are ahead of the curve on the LB position. They are the RBs of the defense. I'm more concerned with safety than LB.

Eagles are ahead of the curve on the LB position. They are the RBs of the defense. I'm more concerned with safety than LB.
Agreed. I view the Jack and Zach signings like the Suh and Joseph signings last year: solid impact depth.

Agreed. I view the Jack and Zach signings like the Suh and Joseph signings last year: solid impact depth.
I think Suh and Joseph were more solid depth, versus these LBs just being simply depth. Those DTs were accomplished vets that were available because they were deliberately waiting for the right opportunity or situation before signing somewhere. They were content to let something come to them where they could come right in and contribute for a contending team.

Jack and Cunningham are trying to prove they can still play in the NFL and weren't sitting around to sign a vet minimum/incentive heavy contract by choice. Worth a flyer that maybe one or both of them find a role and contribute but both could just as likely not even make the 53.

Last edited:
I think Suh and Joseph were more solid depth, versus these LBs just being simply depth. Those DTs were accomplished vets that were available because they were deliberately waiting for the right opportunity or situation before signing somewhere. They were content to let something come to them where they could come right in and contribute for a contending team.

Jack and Cunningham are trying to prove they can still play in the NFL and weren't sitting around to sign a vet minimum/incentive heavy contract by choice. Worth a flyer that maybe one or both of them find a role and contribute but both could just as likely not even make the 90.
I expect both to make the roster, Morrow, who signed a deal with 0 guaranteed money, to be cut, and potentially one more move at the position, but probably unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread