What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 NY Giants - (Schoen & Daboll episode 2 – Danny turns Dimes into Dollars) (1 Viewer)

:tfp:

- Devito likely be starter rest of the way

- There is some kind of disconnect with this Giants team.
Xavier McKinney: "Giants leaders ‘not really being heard"

1. Arizona
2. Carolina -> Chicago
3. Chicago
4. :bag:

Chicago plays both Carolina and Arizona, 2 wins going to someone.
With Devito as the starter, the #1 pick is not out of the realm of possibilities.
If the Giants win another game this season ... that will clear up any questions about whether Shoen and Daball should be canned

:tfp:

- Devito likely be starter rest of the way

- There is some kind of disconnect with this Giants team.
Xavier McKinney: "Giants leaders ‘not really being heard"

1. Arizona
2. Carolina -> Chicago
3. Chicago
4. :bag:

Chicago plays both Carolina and Arizona, 2 wins going to someone.
(y)

Tommy DeVito now leads the NYG in passing TDs this year with 3. :bag:

118 points in 10 games.

Yesterday was an offensive explosion and we still lost by 32. :lmao:

Touchdown Tommy DeVito!
Yea baby!

Seriously...
is Wink Martindale back next year?
will they take a qb with the first or second pick?
were our expectations too high or is the injuries?
do you give Danny Dimes a mulligan for this season because of the injuries?
or is Danny just an injury waiting to happen?
so many questions.

Touchdown Tommy DeVito!
Yea baby!

Seriously...
is Wink Martindale back next year?
will they take a qb with the first or second pick?
were our expectations too high or is the injuries?
do you give Danny Dimes a mulligan for this season because of the injuries?
or is Danny just an injury waiting to happen?
so many questions.

Wink should be back, assuming he wants to be. At some point this has to be hurting his reputation. I don't think he forgot how to be a good coach. It isn't fault that his defense is on the field for 95% of the first half. (I think it was amazingly deflating for D to get the turn over and then watch the O bungle it and come away with no points. I think going for it was dumb. They were never winning that game, get a morale boost somewhere) The OL coach? Should get fired. Just no way can he come back. Someone earlier was saying it was a connection to Daboll. That connection can not save him. Has to go.

I don't want a QB with the first or second pick, but I thinking you have to at this point. Jones has been turned into hamburger behind this line. I think he has been irreparably broken at this point. See David Carr. I want answers for the OLine, but sadly I think it has to be QB there.

My expectations were not high. The previous regimes did untold damage to this team. It was always going to take more than a year to repair the damage of Reese and Getts. I was hoping for watchable, I didn't care about playoffs. At this point I am not even going to get watchable. Last night's game wasn't remotely entertaining.

Jones questions/answers are a 2 for 1: See above. I don't think you can trust Jones. Not his fault. After a while self-preservation kicks in. He has been beaten to a pulp. A human body can only take so many hits. He has exceeded his hit limit after being hung to dry by his offensive line so many times.

So many questions. One answer for me. Fix the OL. I'll ask a question: How many QBs is the team willing to slaughter before they fix it? How many seasons are going to get thrown away? (Ok, that was two questions)

Last edited:
While I think it's way to early to talk about the draft, I did find this interesting.
https://x.com/RalphVacchiano/status/1724179242538222033?s=20

The New York Giants are spiraling towards the top of the 2024 NFL Draft, where they'll obviously take a franchise quarterback ... right?Don't be so sure.Even with a top pick, the Giants might not be ready to move on from Daniel Jones.

I'm sure several heads would explode if the Giants were to pass on Williams and Maye

While I think it's way to early to talk about the draft, I did find this interesting.

The New York Giants are spiraling towards the top of the 2024 NFL Draft, where they'll obviously take a franchise quarterback ... right?Don't be so sure.Even with a top pick, the Giants might not be ready to move on from Daniel Jones.

I'm sure several heads would explode if the Giants were to pass on Williams and Maye
Then Daniel Jones becomes a very expensive backup. No team would take on his salary in a trade.
A qb makes sense with the top pick,but when the economics are factored in I can see why they wouldn't take one.

Then Daniel Jones becomes a very expensive backup. No team would take on his salary in a trade.
A qb makes sense with the top pick,but when the economics are factored in I can see why they wouldn't take one.
You take Williams if you have the 1st pick for sure ... He can play behind Jones to start the season (or maybe even the entire season) which often works out much better for rookies than being thrown into the fire
If jones happens to play great over that time he will have trade value ... if doesnt play good you release him after the season and take the remaining cap hit.

Be interesting if they do stay in the top 2. I think you do go QB there, but throwing a highly drafted rookie behind this line is far from less than ideal.

They (Schoen, etc.) can/leak publicly that they still believe in Jones, I mean what else could they realistically say at this point. Whoopsie, 5 games played on his $160mm contract, we think moving on is in the best interest of Daniel and the team.

To IrishTwinkie's point about the OL, mind-boggling how bad the unit has played even with the injuries.
Reminds me of a John McKay quote: "Coach, what did you think of your team's execution?"...."I'm in favor of it."

Team won't be relevant until they can play with the big boys in the division.
We've seen how far the talent/depth gap is with the Cowboys. We'll see shortly with the Eagles as well, nice gift the schedulers gave us with a visit to Philly on 12/25.

12/25? UGH. I won’t be watching that’s game. No need to throw up on perfectly good presents.

If you do draft a rookie QB, I think you have to sit him behind some cannon fodder until the line improves. Otherwise you just kill that one too.

I was talking with my wife (Bills fan) earlier today. Who is the bigger disappointment, Bills or Giants. I had to go with the Bills. I was cautiously optimistic at beginning of season for the Giants. I was thinking that the line might have turned a corner. Didn’t take long to become apparent that no, the Oline really hadn’t improved at all. But the Giants didn’t go from SB contender to out of the playoffs. (Anyone who thought giants were SB contenders were safely laughed at. I’d hope even rabid homers knew better)

But having a QB on a rookie salary has proven to be a successful strategy and the giants have that chance this year. It wont help until other things get fixed.

I’m still holding out hope for this front office. They seem to get it. They did right by Williams. So, we’ll see.

Be interesting if they do stay in the top 2. I think you do go QB there, but throwing a highly drafted rookie behind this line is far from less than ideal.

They (Schoen, etc.) can/leak publicly that they still believe in Jones, I mean what else could they realistically say at this point. Whoopsie, 5 games played on his $160mm contract, we think moving on is in the best interest of Daniel and the team.

To IrishTwinkie's point about the OL, mind-boggling how bad the unit has played even with the injuries.
Reminds me of a John McKay quote: "Coach, what did you think of your team's execution?"...."I'm in favor of it."

We've seen how far the talent/depth gap is with the Cowboys. We'll see shortly with the Eagles as well, nice gift the schedulers gave us with a visit to Philly on 12/25.
Giants MUST hire a new OL coach. Someone with a great track record like a Bill Callahan or somebody!

Giants MUST hire a new OL coach. Someone with a great track record like a Bill Callahan or somebody!
Can't tell if serious or not. I guess I just remember Bill as a bad head coach. I was thinking about this today and mused they should hire 5. One for each position, cause it was clear that remedial OL coaching was needed. Or maybe I am just bitter and sore that this is still a problem. I suppose both could be true.

Can't tell if serious or not. I guess I just remember Bill as a bad head coach. I was thinking about this today and mused they should hire 5. One for each position, cause it was clear that remedial OL coaching was needed. Or maybe I am just bitter and sore that this is still a problem. I suppose both could be true.
I'm serious about Callahan. I know he was a bad HC but "they" say he is one of the best OL coaches in the business. Now he is in his 70's so who knows if he wants to leave where he is and take on this disaster, but the Giants need to find someone that can coach this OL up.

I'm serious about Callahan. I know he was a bad HC but "they" say he is one of the best OL coaches in the business. Now he is in his 70's so who knows if he wants to leave where he is and take on this disaster, but the Giants need to find someone that can coach this OL up.
Mike Munchak is out there as well. Does he want to return? and consider here? Who knows, but please don't go into next year with Bobby Johnson.

I looked up Callahan. Who knew?!! I sure didn’t. I guess it never registered with me that he was still kicking around after that Raiders job. The Giants have to do something here. What they are doing isn’t working.

Tommy DeVito - not terrible despite being sacked about 10 times yesterday.
18 of 26 for 246 yards, 3 TD's and 0 interceptions
Can't ask for much more than that for your 3rd string UDFA QB

The Athletic did a players poll asking various questions. On the question of the worst stadium to play in, Metlife Stadium came in 1st with 18.4%, even ahead of FedEx which was 2nd with 13.9%. That's pathetic that a relatively new stadium is worse than FedEx which is notorious for falling apart. When they opened Metlife and it was brand new, it was already one of the worst. Now, it's considered the worst in the league by the players.

The Athletic did a players poll asking various questions. On the question of the worst stadium to play in, Metlife Stadium came in 1st with 18.4%, even ahead of FedEx which was 2nd with 13.9%. That's pathetic that a relatively new stadium is worse than FedEx which is notorious for falling apart. When they opened Metlife and it was brand new, it was already one of the worst. Now, it's considered the worst in the league by the players.
The MetLife turf is horrendous and it was probably front-of-mind for the players after the Rodgers injury.

The MetLife turf is horrendous and it was probably front-of-mind for the players after the Rodgers injury.
I'm sure that has something to do with this poll, but Metlife has always been one of the worst stadiums in the league. I remember when it was first opened and it started out ranked somewhere around 22nd... as a brand new stadium. It's only gone down from there. Supposedly they're changing the turf this offseason so it's ready for next year but I doubt it will increase the ranking that much since they would just be getting up to speed with the rest of the league.

I'm sure that has something to do with this poll, but Metlife has always been one of the worst stadiums in the league. I remember when it was first opened and it started out ranked somewhere around 22nd... as a brand new stadium. It's only gone down from there. Supposedly they're changing the turf this offseason so it's ready for next year but I doubt it will increase the ranking that much since they would just be getting up to speed with the rest of the league.
The Turf was replaced prior to this season

The Turf was replaced prior to this season
So even with the new turf it's the worst stadium in the NFL. Great.

Once again DeVito - not terrible
17 of 25 for 191 yards -1 TD and 0 interceptions
He did lose a fumble

He did lose a fumble
At least 3-5 of those incompletes hit the receivers right in the hands

Regardless ...
Giants have screwed themselves badly with these useless uninspiring wins over teams that are out tankiing them

He did lose a fumble

Regardless ...
Giants have screwed themselves badly with these useless uninspiring wins over teams that are out tankiing them
While I understand the sentiment about winning these games, you can’t expect the players on the field to just laydown and try to lose. They won without their best defensive player (Dex) and with their 3rd string QB.
That being said I’m convinced that Belichick told his kicker to miss that FG during the timeout.

On the bright side It is good to see Hyatt coming along.

Last edited:
All of Those Ints look like the were intended for the Giants defenders
They outplayed WAS last week and proved they were the better team.
At that point ... just let them score and take the L in record only
Same thing with the Pats game ... we couldve and shouldve missed the FG ... bellichick is smarter he knows one useless game has no imprtance to the future of this team

He did lose a fumble

Regardless ...
You play to win the game.
Giants sat a bunch of players against Philly last year with a chance to knock Philly out of the 1 seed

He did lose a fumble

Regardless ...
Giants sat a bunch of players against Philly last year with a chance to knock Philly out of the 1 seed
Because they were trying to win the NEXT game. Which they did,in Minnesota,in the playoffs.

He did lose a fumble

Regardless ...
Because they were trying to win the NEXT game. Which they did,in Minnesota,in the playoffs.
Yep ... Sometimes it makes sense not to play to win

Convincing members of the current team to play hard, with maybe some of your key players sitting to heal for to further a goal that the current team shares is galaxies apart from asking key players to sit to benefit a different collection of players. Especially when there is no guarantee that those players you are asking will be even be on the team. Careers are short and the Giants have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, this is a business. There is no next year for this collection of players. Next year is for a different collection of players.

Asking this is an instant way to lose the locker room. The outright cynical-ness of it will likely spoil any future negotiations with your current FAs let alone those on other teams.

He did lose a fumble

Regardless ...
I assure you every player on the field in that Philly game was playing to win.

He did lose a fumble

Regardless ...
I assure you every player on the field in that Philly game was playing to win.
Then they shouldnt have had everyone on the field

Matt Barkley waived, Jacob Eason released from practice squad. Signs pointing towards Tyrod Taylor being active this week.

Prefer they let NJ's own Tommy DeVito start on MNF.

edit: hopefully Seattle continues losing and that 2nd round pick continues to rise.

Last edited:
Matt Barkley waived, Jacob Eason released from practice squad. Signs pointing towards Tyrod Taylor being active this week.

Prefer they let NJ's own Tommy DeVito start on MNF.

edit: hopefully Seattle continues losing and that 2nd round pick continues to rise.
DeVito has been named the starter for MNF

Jones has G$ next year so he’ll likely be on the roster but could be competing with a top 5 pick
I would think if Jones is healthy he will be the starter even if the Giants take a QB in the 1st Rd next year
Doesnt hurt to have a QB learn for a year and If Jones performs well it increases his value.

I'd actually go back to DeVito, he could get some valuable time to see if he can be a suitable backup QB. Unfortunately Tyrod will probably walk next season so any experience Tommy can get would be great.

I'd actually go back to DeVito, he could get some valuable time to see if he can be a suitable backup QB. Unfortunately Tyrod will probably walk next season so any experience Tommy can get would be great.
I agree. Might as well find out what you have in DeVito, give the kid the opportunity to show he can bounce back from a pair of bad outings.
Daboll is saying they are going with Tyrod because he gives them the best chance to win. Well, the time to try to win was the Saints game. Tyrod was cleared to play then and they were mathematically still alive for the playoffs.

Sorry guys. Totally disagree. They've known all along what DeVito is. All you needed to see was the play sheet when he went in... all runs. no passing. He scares nobody. He is worse than just another guy. Not an NFL QB. This little joy should have come to end MUCH sooner than it did.

Users who are viewing this thread