What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 NFL MVP race (1 Viewer)

The MVP is Lamar's

Agreed but CJ Stroud deserves more love
You think he deserves it over Lamar?
Read my previous. I agreed Lamar is the MVP.
Right, so what love are you thinking CJ deserves if you think every voter should vote for Lamar?
Are you not familiar with the voting process? There's such thing as 2nd, 3rd, 4th place, etc.
So in the "NFL MVP RACE" we should be discussing how comes 3rd or 4th place and giving them love for that? lol

The MVP is Lamar's

Right, so what love are you thinking CJ deserves if you think every voter should vote for Lamar?
Are you not familiar with the voting process? There's such thing as 2nd, 3rd, 4th place, etc.
So in the "NFL MVP RACE" we should be discussing how comes 3rd or 4th place and giving them love for that? lol

Sure, seems valid to list the worthy contenders or voters wouldn't have that option :shrug:

The MVP is Lamar's

Sure, seems valid to list the worthy contenders or voters wouldn't have that option :shrug:
It's still to calculate the #1 winner of it. You're saying he should be getting 'more love' from who... the people in this thread? I don't see any people discussing how he shouldn't be 4th in voting.

It's still to calculate the #1 winner of it. You're saying he should be getting 'more love' from who... the people in this thread? I don't see any people discussing how he shouldn't be 4th in voting.

Just stop all the nonsense. Not really one for clogging up the thread with frivolous arguments. Take care little buddy!

Just stop all the nonsense. Not really one for clogging up the thread with frivolous arguments. Take care little buddy!
Stroud should likely get no votes at all, but should easily win ROY. Maybe a couple irrelevant 5th place votes.

Stroud should likely get no votes at all, but should easily win ROY. Maybe a couple irrelevant 5th place votes.
Easily? Puca Nacua would like a word.

True, he's there too. But I still think Stroud gets it and that it's not super close.

Please no discussion on runner ups or worthy contenders in this thread. TIA :wink:

True, he's there too. But I still think Stroud gets it and that it's not super close.
It’s not close. The starting QB for the team that went from 1.02 to possibly playoffs, and played as well he did had the award wrapped up. Puca did great but this is easy.

Jackson is a LOCK now to win it. It will also put him in rarified territory.

The list of QBs to win at least 2 NFL MVPs (per the AP, which is always the one everyone cares about the most) is below:

Peyton Manning - 5
Aaron Rodgers - 4
Johnny Unitas - 3
Brett Favre - 3
Tom Brady - 3
Joe Montana - 2
Steve Young - 2
Kurt Warner - 2
Patrick Mahomes - 2

The list of QBs to win at least 2 NFL MVPs (per the AP, which is always the one everyone cares about the most) is below:

Peyton Manning - 5
Aaron Rodgers - 4
Johnny Unitas - 3
Brett Favre - 3
Tom Brady - 3
Joe Montana - 2
Steve Young - 2
Kurt Warner - 2
Patrick Mahomes - 2
Youngest qb to win MVP and will be the youngest qb to win his 2nd.

Peyton Manning - 5
Aaron Rodgers - 4
Johnny Unitas - 3
Brett Favre - 3
Tom Brady - 3
Joe Montana - 2
Steve Young - 2
Kurt Warner - 2
Patrick Mahomes - 2

They all have rings so he should probably go get his

It’s not close. The starting QB for the team that went from 1.02 to possibly playoffs, and played as well he did had the award wrapped up. Puca did great but this is easy.
As someone who had Puka, Stroud, and Dell I followed them closely all year.

Stroud was on pace for MVP consideration not just Rookie OPOY. Then Tank got hurt and Stroud hasn’t been the same since. Borderline awful, at least fantasy wise, which means probably not great or at least not “best rookie in the league “ in real football.

Meanwhile, Puka needs 28 yards to break the Rookie WR Receiving record that has stood since 1960.

I hate to penalize a guy for injuries, and I could see Stroud still getting it because QB is much more difficult to play than WR, but he had 10 weeks of greatness compared to a full season for Puka.

I find it hilarious when some people speak about Lamar solely in terms of his "passing numbers" and suggesting he falls short.

As if 67% completions, 3,700 yards 24 TDs, 7 INTs, 8.0 y/a leading the #2 scoring offense (#4 in yards) in 16 games doesn't even belong in the conversation.

I mean, with Gus Edwards, Zay Flowers & Mark Andrews (for some some of the season) it practically guarantees any QB automatic success.

If only Lamar could elevate his game in some other way...

Plenty of people owe this dude an apology.

They all have rings so he should probably go get his

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Greatest regular season quarterback to never come close to sniffing one?

Hahahaha

We'll see how good he really is when he has to face the Allens and Mahomeses.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Greatest regular season quarterback to never come close to sniffing one?

Hahahaha

We'll see how good he really is when he has to face the Allens and Mahomeses
Lol yeah! If he doesn't win one this year, all the hatred will be vindicated.
People will be able to come back in and say, I told you he couldn't throw the ball!!

Just like they do in the Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, and Joe Burrow threads.

Hahaha

Well, I know its an unpopular opinion, but with the regular season done, my MVP vote is for Josh Allen. #2 seed in the AFC, led the league in yards (4,830) and TDs (44)

My 2nd choice would be Dak Prescott. #2 seed in the NFC, 2nd in yards, (4,758) and 2nd in TDs (38), with half the turnovers Allen had (11), but also had best supporting cast of the top-3.

I'd have Lamar 3rd. 4,499 yards, 29 TDs, 13 turnovers.

Peyton Manning - 5
Aaron Rodgers - 4
Johnny Unitas - 3
Brett Favre - 3
Tom Brady - 3
Joe Montana - 2
Steve Young - 2
Kurt Warner - 2
Patrick Mahomes - 2
Nice to see stat compiler P Manning so high on the list.

I mentioned it earlier and now I'm being 100% legit on it...

Stroud should be the MVP of the 2023 season. He's overtaken Lamar for me, and it's not even close anymore.

I mentioned it earlier and now I'm being 100% legit on it...

Stroud should be the MVP of the 2023 season. He's overtaken Lamar for me, and it's not even close anymore.

I agree i like Stroud and Allen as my top 2. They have absolutely put mediocre/bad teams on their backs and made them great

agree i like Stroud and Allen as my top 2. They have absolutely put mediocre/bad teams on their backs and made them great
Stroud and Allen would be fine choices but Lamar is also working with an offense without great talent. Their defenses help all 3, ravens just a bit more.
I’d vote Lamar. Allen has been inconsistent and Stroud missed a couple games. I wouldn’t hold that against CJ if he were otherwise ahead of LJ.

agree i like Stroud and Allen as my top 2. They have absolutely put mediocre/bad teams on their backs and made them great
Stroud and Allen would be fine choices but Lamar is also working with an offense without great talent. Their defenses help all 3, ravens just a bit more.
I’d vote Lamar. Allen has been inconsistent and Stroud missed a couple games. I wouldn’t hold that against CJ if he were otherwise ahead of LJ.

Fair enough.

Everyone says Ravens have no talent but I think they have more talent than the bills but that's just me. At the start of the year people would have told you they had more talent than the Texans for sure. The #1 defense and offense line in the league in almost every measure on the ravens as well. They would have won 10 games running the ball and playing defense

Fair enough.

Everyone says Ravens have no talent but I think they have more talent than the bills but that's just me. At the start of the year people would have told you they had more talent than the Texans for sure. The #1 defense and offense line in the league in almost every measure on the ravens as well. They would have won 10 games running the ball and playing defense
This is gonna be a fuzzy argument by me, but I'd say that one of the reasons the defense is so good is because of Jackson and the offense.

Fair enough.

This is gonna be a fuzzy argument by me, but I'd say that one of the reasons the defense is so good is because of Jackson and the offense.

They were 10th in time of possession so the defense was on the field for the NFL average. 1st in opponent turnovers, however. 1st in sacks by a healthy margin as well. 1st in points allowed but only 4th in points scored.

Fair enough.

I wouldn’t bother with this Kface fella. He’s got some weird anyone but Lamar agenda and he’ll just make up things to support it. Like the OL being ranked 1 in almost every metric. And of course the OL is certainly elevated by Lamar’s talents.

Fair enough.

I wouldn’t bother with this Kface fella. He’s got some weird anyone but Lamar agenda and he’ll just make up things to support it. Like the OL being ranked 1 in almost every metric. And of course the OL is certainly elevated by Lamar’s talents.

No need to be a jerk. And you are a straight up homer and your opinion is clouded because he is 'your guy'. Feel free to never, ever respond or mention me in any of your posts. I think we would both prefer it that way.

Fair enough.

No need to be a jerk. And you are a straight up homer and your opinion is clouded because he is 'your guy'. Feel free to never, ever respond or mention me in any of your posts. I think we would both prefer it that way.
I won’t mention or respond to you anymore provided you don’t make things up and present them as facts. Weird that all the sports books are Lamar/Ravens homers too!

Fair enough.

Do you think I am a straight-up homer?

Fair enough.

Do you think I am a straight-up homer?

No reason to believe that. I know nothing about you.

I think LJ is a fair pick but i would lean Allen as I said above. That is all

Fair enough.

Lamar certainly helps the defense but I don’t think as much in years past with more of a passing game and less power running this year. His impact on the OL though I think is tremendous. His pocket manipulation this year has been great and obviously he has his athleticism to avoid pressures and sacks. And of course in the run game it’s like having an extra 1.5 blockers out there.

I said in this thread a couple of weeks ago that I think Tyreek Hill is the MVP. I also think the most important player to his team is Lamar Jackson. I don't know how to reconcile those two thoughts, as I am just a stupid human.

Stroud ain't gonna win it. But after watching him join a team that had the worst 3 year winning percentage in the league before he got there, and watching them play without him this year, I am glad he's in the conversation.

I like CMC for the award, because he had a really special year for one of the best teams, and none of the QBs really had an amazing year. Feels like Lamar is just people trying to find a QB to plug in. His numbers weren't insane. CMC had insane numbers--and no other RB even had great numbers, so I would love to see him win it.

But I don't even know if CMC will, because these guys feel like they have to put a QB in there.

Stroud ain't gonna win it. But after watching him join a team that had the worst 3 year winning percentage in the league before he got there, and watching them play without him this year, I am glad he's in the conversation.

I like CMC for the award, because he had a really special year for one of the best teams, and none of the QBs really had an amazing year. Feels like Lamar is just people trying to find a QB to plug in. His numbers weren't insane. CMC had insane numbers--and no other RB even had great numbers, so I would love to see him win it.

But I don't even know if CMC will, because these guys feel like they have to put a QB in there.

This is the truth for sure. People searching for a QB when there isn't an obvious one.

If it has to be a QB i lean Allen/Stroud because the teams are absolute garbage without them. Baltimore almost beat a desperate team trying to get into the playoffs with their backups (Pitt). They are a very talented roster

Heard yesterday on a per game basis Stroud lead the league in both passing yards and TD/INT ratio. That had only been accomplished twice before by Montana and maybe Brady (forget the second).
They said this on the broadcast yesterday. Stroud is a stud no doubt. I’m a proud owner in dynasty.

Never gonna convince me that a non QB is more valuable than the top QBs.

I'm not trying to convince you. They should change it to Most Outstanding Player, because people get get stuck on this 'valuable' word. Like, stuck forever, on this semantics arguments that QBs are more valuable.

Yes, they are.

We already have the Davey O'Brien award. Most Outstanding QB.

So is this just the same award twice? Why are RB and DE and WR eligible for this award?

I'm not trying to convince you. They should change it to Most Outstanding Player, because people get get stuck on this 'valuable' word. Like, stuck forever, on this semantics arguments that QBs are more valuable.

Yes, they are.

We already have the Davey O'Brien award. Most Outstanding QB.

So is this just the same award twice? Why are RB and DE and WR eligible for this award?
They should change the name and meaning of the award rather than some people change their mindsets? The award isn’t best player relative to their position or best stats relative to their position. It’s not semantics when it’s literally the key word in the award. Isn’t offensive player of the year essentially the award you’re looking for?

Baltimore almost beat a desperate team trying to get into the playoffs with their backups (Pitt). They are a very talented roster
The Steelers might be the worst team to make the playoffs in, well, ever? I don’t know the time period but they are not a good team.
The ravens do have talent (although for offensive skill positions less than the bills imo), Lamar makes them that much better.

Baltimore almost beat a desperate team trying to get into the playoffs with their backups (Pitt). They are a very talented roster
The Steelers might be the worst team to make the playoffs in, well, ever? I don’t know the time period but they are not a good team.
The ravens do have talent (although for offensive skill positions less than the bills imo), Lamar makes them that much better.
The Ravens also were on pace to win 11-12 games the previous 2 seasons then tanked without Lamar. Not quite as good as this year’s team but still very good before losing Lamar and going something like 3-8 the rest of the way. The notion that they would be a good team this year without him seems far fetched given that history.

I think they have more talent than the bills. The bills have a declining Diggs and almost nobody else to throw the ball too. Cooks came on at the end of the year but wasn't great most of the year. The running game behind him is pathetic. The online is rated middle of the pack by PFF as well . But i get that's opinion and I'm not arguing with you

They are still a playoff team however and they almost won with the backups.

Users who are viewing this thread