What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 NFL MVP race (1 Viewer)

Baltimore almost beat a desperate team trying to get into the playoffs with their backups (Pitt). They are a very talented roster
The Steelers might be the worst team to make the playoffs in, well, ever? I don’t know the time period but they are not a good team.
The ravens do have talent (although for offensive skill positions less than the bills imo), Lamar makes them that much better.

I think they have more talent than the bills. The bills have a declining Diggs and almost nobody else to throw the ball too. Cooks came on at the end of the year but wasn't great most of the year. The running game behind him is pathetic. The online is rated 23rd by PFF as well (compared to 1 for the ravens). But i get that's opinion and I'm not arguing with you

They are still a playoff team however and they almost won with the backups.
I said skill positions. This argument can go on forever but you take flowers, Edwards and Isiah likely over Diggs, Kincaid and cooks.

I do think 100% that OBJ, Flowers, Bateman, Andrews/Likely, Edwards/Hill/Mitchell over what the bills have 100%. Gabe davis is awful. He doesn't sniff the field on most teams. Two years ago this was debatable for me but I think Diggs has hit the cliff and there is nothing behind him...hopefully Kincaid works out for the bills but he hasn't shown much

Baltimore almost beat a desperate team trying to get into the playoffs with their backups (Pitt). They are a very talented roster
The Steelers might be the worst team to make the playoffs in, well, ever? I don’t know the time period but they are not a good team.
The ravens do have talent (although for offensive skill positions less than the bills imo), Lamar makes them that much better.

I think they have more talent than the bills. The bills have a declining Diggs and almost nobody else to throw the ball too. Cooks came on at the end of the year but wasn't great most of the year. The running game behind him is pathetic. The online is rated 23rd by PFF as well (compared to 1 for the ravens). But i get that's opinion and I'm not arguing with you

I said skill positions. This argument can go on forever but you take flowers, Edwards and Isiah likely over Diggs, Kincaid and cooks.

I do think 100% that OBJ, Flowers, Bateman, Andrews/Likely, Edwards/Hill/Mitchell over what the bills have 100%. Gabe davis is awful. He doesn't sniff the field on most teams. Two years ago this was debatable for me but I think Diggs has hit the cliff and there is nothing behind him...hopefully Kincaid works out for the bills but he hasn't shown much
If you’re being serious about Bateman being decent and Davis not, there isn’t much left to say here. OBJ had moments but at this point Shakir might be better.

If you’re being serious about Bateman being decent and Davis not, there isn’t much left to say here. OBJ had moments but at this point Shakir might be better.

Well I through Bateman in as the 3rd wr...so no real comparison. I agree they both kind of suck but davis is wr2 and Diggs is big time underperforming.

But no need to pollute the thread with back and forth

The MVP is Lamar's

Agreed but CJ Stroud deserves more love
You think he deserves it over Lamar?
Read my previous. I agreed Lamar is the MVP.
Right, so what love are you thinking CJ deserves if you think every voter should vote for Lamar?
Are you not familiar with the voting process? There's such thing as 2nd, 3rd, 4th place, etc.
So in the "NFL MVP RACE" we should be discussing how comes 3rd or 4th place and giving them love for that? lol

Sure, seems valid to list the worthy contenders or voters wouldn't have that option :shrug:
Not even a top 5 finalist.

The MVP is Lamar's

Right, so what love are you thinking CJ deserves if you think every voter should vote for Lamar?
Are you not familiar with the voting process? There's such thing as 2nd, 3rd, 4th place, etc.
So in the "NFL MVP RACE" we should be discussing how comes 3rd or 4th place and giving them love for that? lol

Sure, seems valid to list the worthy contenders or voters wouldn't have that option :shrug:

I'm shocked that a rookie QB in a smaller market wouldn't get serious consideration from media pundits....but why are you bringing up the finalists? You previously said those weren't worthy of discussion. Just asking for some consistency little fella.

The MVP is Lamar's

I'm shocked that a rookie QB in a smaller market wouldn't get serious consideration from media pundits....but why are you bringing up the finalists? You previously said those weren't worthy of discussion. Just asking for some consistency little fella.
Because you were saying that he should be getting more love. He never should have gotten consideration for MVP, but you pushed that he would get 2nd/3rd/4th place votes and that was clearly wrong too. Don't blame the media, he isn't and never was really in the MVP conversation. Maybe he will win OROY for you though.

Because you were saying that he should be getting more love. He never should have gotten consideration for MVP, but you pushed that he would get 2nd/3rd/4th place votes and that was clearly wrong too. Don't blame the media, he isn't and never was really in the MVP conversation. Maybe he will win OROY for you though.

Maybe? he's a lock for OROY much like Lamar for MVP. I'll let you have Dak and Purdy all day and I'll gladly take CJ. I'm just glad you realized the error in your ways and open for discussing worthy MVP candidates. Baby steps.

Maybe? he's a lock for OROY much like Lamar for MVP. I'll let you have Dak and Purdy all day and I'll gladly take CJ. I'm just glad you realized the error in your ways and open for discussing worthy MVP candidates. Baby steps.
Has nothing to do with that. Glad you realized how wrong you were bringing up CJ in the league MVP race. He wasn't even remotely close.

Has nothing to do with that. Glad you realized how wrong you were bringing up CJ in the league MVP race. He wasn't even remotely close.

You seem really hung up on this bumping an old post and all. CJ or not, there are 5 finalists listed for a reason and why I initially started this discussion. You scoffed at the notion about discussing other worthy contenders which I thought was silly. Just let it go.

Last edited:

You seem really hung up on this bumping an old post and all. CJ or not, there are 5 finalists listed for a reason and why I initially started this discussion. You scoffed at the notion about discussing other worthy contenders which I thought was silly. Just let it go.
Yeah, worthy. Stroud wasn't a worthy contender.

Anyways, moving on.

I still think this would have been a great year for a cool finalist like Penei Sewell or Parsons. CMC is great but I don’t think there’s a single NFL team that would take CMC over an all pro OT or Edge.

I thought this article was interesting. Some quotes below.

“While Jackson certainly had an MVP-caliber season, he didn’t become the betting favorite for the award until after the Ravens’ Week 16 win over the 49ers — hardly indicative of the type of dominance reserved for the rare unanimous MVP selection.”

“the whole point of having 50 different voters is to — ideally — get 50 different perspectives. Instead what we now have are awards largely based on groupthink, with most voters merely selecting the best-performing quarterback among the league’s top teams.”

Commending the lone non-Lamar voter

I thought this article was interesting. Some quotes below.

“While Jackson certainly had an MVP-caliber season, he didn’t become the betting favorite for the award until after the Ravens’ Week 16 win over the 49ers — hardly indicative of the type of dominance reserved for the rare unanimous MVP selection.”

“the whole point of having 50 different voters is to — ideally — get 50 different perspectives. Instead what we now have are awards largely based on groupthink, with most voters merely selecting the best-performing quarterback among the league’s top teams.”

Commending the lone non-Lamar voter
I would have voted for Allen too. I just keep thinking that if Josh Allen's 15 rushing TDs were passing TDs instead, he'd have run away with the award, and its stupid that they are somehow viewed differently. I saw Allen as the guy who led the league in yards and TDs on a team that ended with the #2 seed, despite losing half their defense to injuries.

Groupthink tends to lead to bad decisions every bit as much as good decisions.

Kudos to Schatz who has always been among the smarter, less reactionary, NFL personalities.

Users who are viewing this thread