What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Dallas Cowboys — On to the offseason. Let’s Go Bucs! (2 Viewers)

Ugh.

It makes me so sad. Why does it seem so hard for them to make good decisions? Moore > McCarthy + Schottenheimer. Thank god we kept Quinn as DC.

Ugh.

It makes me so sad. Why does it seem so hard for them to make good decisions? Moore > McCarthy + Schottenheimer. Thank god we kept Quinn as DC.
It seems to be a wide ranging problem in the NFL. Many teams do a cursory search and superficial interview process, hires are mainly based on past relationships, nepotism, and a track record of previous NFL coaching experience regardless of actual performance. So we just end up with the same group of people, their kids, and former colleagues over and over again.

Ugh.

It seems to be a wide ranging problem in the NFL. Many teams do a cursory search and superficial interview process, hires are mainly based on past relationships, nepotism, and a track record of previous NFL coaching experience regardless of actual performance. So we just end up with the same group of people, their kids, and former colleagues over and over again.

So pretty much like every company ever.

Ugh.

So pretty much like every company ever.
Sure like a lot of mom 'n pop businesses and even large private companies. Public companies not so much. Nepotism only works if the people involved are actually talented. And in the NFL, it usually only works if you have a franchise QB.

This is a bit puzzling - I thought the word was that McCarthy wanted to call plays.

Cowboys announced Brian Schottenheimer as new offensive coordinator.​

Schottenheimer was signed to the team in March 2022 as an offensive consultant, charged with working with the offensive coaching staff in a game-planning role. He now gets the in-house promotion following the departure of Kellen Moore for a franchise that continues to commit to a run-balanced offense. This move should continue that trend after Schottenheimer ran the league's most run-heavy offense during his time in Seattle.
It was expected, I posted in this thread a few days ago he was the likely OC hire.

McCarthy will be the one calling plays.

Schottenheimer was already on staff but as consultant. For Quinn. Kind of cool idea that Dallas employed and offensive minded assistant to work with the defense.

🤔

This is a bit puzzling - I thought the word was that McCarthy wanted to call plays.

Schottenheimer was signed to the team in March 2022 as an offensive consultant, charged with working with the offensive coaching staff in a game-planning role. He now gets the in-house promotion following the departure of Kellen Moore for a franchise that continues to commit to a run-balanced offense. This move should continue that trend after Schottenheimer ran the league's most run-heavy offense during his time in Seattle.
It was expected, I posted in this thread a few days ago he was the likely OC hire.

Schottenheimer was already on staff but as consultant. For Quinn. Kind of cool idea that Dallas employed and offensive minded assistant to work with the defense.

🤔

Looks like that’s a pretty shallow take, especially the Seattle years. Most of those years he had dudes like Sam Bradford, Kelly Clemons, Tony the worst quarterback I’ve ever seen Banks.

Meh.

🤔

Looks like that’s a pretty shallow take, especially the Seattle years. Most of those years he had dudes like Sam Bradford, Kelly Clemons, Tony the worst quarterback I’ve ever seen Banks.

Meh.
Just saw it on Twitter and passed it along. Don’t shoot the messenger.

🤔
He just basically runs practice and helps install the offense. His resume

🤔
I don’t think it matters. His main role will be running practice for the offense, doing installs, etc.

Not all OC roles are created equal.

🤔

Meh.
Just saw it on Twitter and passed it along. Don’t shoot the messenger.
I wasn’t aiming at you GB!

Unrestricted free agents

Offense—

Tony Pollard
Dalton Schultz
Cooper Rush
Jason Peters
Connor McGovern
T.Y. Hilton
Noah Brown

Defense —

Donovan Wilson
Leighton Vander Esch
Anthony Brown
Dante Fowler Jr.
Anthony Barr
Johnathan Hankins
Carlos Watkins
C.J. Goodwin

Who are you hoping gets shown the door?

Who are you hoping gets a new deal?

If the price is right….
I want Wilson back. One of a few guys that likes to hit people on this team.
I want LVE back. Had a nice year this year, I’m hoping his neck brings his price down.
I want Brown back but he’s probably going to be too expensive.
I want Hankins back. The amount of yards teams ran for when he was out vs what they ran for when he was playing was big.
I want Goodwin back. Led team in special teams tackles for I believe 3 years in a row.

Unrestricted free agents

Offense—

Tony Pollard
Dalton Schultz
Cooper Rush
Jason Peters
Connor McGovern
T.Y. Hilton
Noah Brown

Defense —

Donovan Wilson
Leighton Vander Esch
Anthony Brown
Dante Fowler Jr.
Anthony Barr
Johnathan Hankins
Carlos Watkins
C.J. Goodwin

Who are you hoping gets shown the door?

Who are you hoping gets a new deal?

If the price is right….
I want Wilson back. One of a few guys that likes to hit people on this team.
I want LVE back. Had a nice year this year, I’m hoping his neck brings his price down.
I want Brown back but he’s probably going to be too expensive.
I want Hankins back. The amount of yards teams ran for when he was out vs what they ran for when he was playing was big.
I want Goodwin back. Led team in special teams tackles for I believe 3 years in a row.

With you lock and step. Wilson being the most desirable. He is hands down our best /most willing tackler. He’s always flying in out of nowhere and he’s really good at reading plays as they develop.

Also, Shultz is gone. REALLY looking forward to the combo of Fergison and Hendershot.

I want to draft OL or DL, focus on defense and a RB
I dont want Pollard back. Hes going to lose a small step and thats his most valuable asset. Just keep churning the RBs.
Im cool with a cheap Zeke and a rookie or FA to be the COP back.

We need at least two more WRs via FA.

So is the plan for the offseason *really* going to be something like
Franchise tag a Running back that is coming off a pretty bad ankle break and then double down and extend the QB that led the league in interceptions, in 5 less games than Davis Mills.
Cowboys have a unique philosophy with paying running backs, but with the draft supposed to be sorta deep at the position, would you want them to let both backs walk and go cheap at RB?

Franchise tag a Running back that is coming off a pretty bad ankle break and then double down and extend the QB that led the league in interceptions, in 5 less games than Davis Mills.
Cowboys have a unique philosophy with paying running backs, but with the draft supposed to be sorta deep at the position, would you want them to let both backs walk and go cheap at RB?

I think the plan involves a lot less passive aggressive takes but we have thick skin around here so no biggie….

Some of us think those picks were due to an outdated and predictable offensive scheme. It will be interesting to see how that works out in SD.

I think they extend the QB because that frees up cap space. They haven’t really paid the piper on Dak yet but that’s besides the point. When he signed his contract he was the second most paid and by the time the offseason is over he will be like the 15th highest paid QB and that deal will look better every year after.

They won’t need to franchise pollard nor should they.

I think the plan involves a lot less passive aggressive takes but we have thick skin around here so no biggie….

Some of us think those picks were due to an outdated and predictable offensive scheme. It will be interesting to see how that works out in SD.

I think they extend the QB because that frees up cap space. They haven’t really paid the piper on Dak yet but that’s besides the point. When he signed his contract he was the second most paid and by the time the offseason is over he will be like the 15th highest paid QB and that deal will look better every year after.

Agree there. But Dallas operates sometimes counterintuitively from an objective standpoint, like trading Amari Cooper without a real backup plan.
While I get extending Dak makes sense, maybe other players will start asking for extensions coming of subpar/OK years. Could be something that backfires, maybe maybe not.
Some of think the picks are made due to an outdated and scheme, but Jerry only knows how he won his titles before and seems to keep trying to duplicate that. Just a totally different game now than 1995. Not sure he will every adapt/catch up enough in time for the success fans are looking for.

Agree there. But Dallas operates sometimes counterintuitively from an objective standpoint, like trading Amari Cooper without a real backup plan.
While I get extending Dak makes sense, maybe other players will start asking for extensions coming of subpar/OK years. Could be something that backfires, maybe maybe not.
Some of think the picks are made due to an outdated and scheme, but Jerry only knows how he won his titles before and seems to keep trying to duplicate that. Just a totally different game now than 1995. Not sure he will every adapt/catch up enough in time for the success fans are looking for.

A lot of what they do is cap planning. From the best I can tell Amari would ***** and moan a lot. He got annoyed at running the same routs over and over, complained and ran his own routs sometimes. Dak strikes me as the soldier type. He runs what’s called and doesn’t want to hear that noise. Just run it.

Dak didn’t request an extension.

As far as you’re slimy, Ben Shapiro-esk comment about it being a sub par or down year - none of that has any relevance to the discussion since it isn’t about the Cowboys. If that’s how you do things, go for it. If you think I’m going to get defensive and start talking about your team, that isn’t how we are.

Nobody here thinks Dak Prescott is Joe Montana.

A lot of what they do is cap planning. From the best I can tell Amari would ***** and moan a lot. He got annoyed at running the same routs over and over, complained and ran his own routs sometimes. Dak strikes me as the soldier type. He runs what’s called and doesn’t want to hear that noise. Just run it.

Dak didn’t request an extension.

As far as you’re slimy, Ben Shapiro-esk comment about it being a sub par or down year - none of that has any relevance to the discussion since it isn’t about the Cowboys. If that’s how you do things, go for it. If you think I’m going to get defensive and start talking about your team, that isn’t how we are.

Nobody here thinks Dak Prescott is Joe Montana.
I have hear the same about Amari, just seems a bit odd to do that move and not have a backup plan. And judging by the amount of people excusing a large portion of Dak's interceptions due to it being a WR running a bad route or it bouncing off his hands, etc, seems the plan was not either well thought out or executed.

I do realize Dak didn't ask for an extension, but as you eluded to with cap planning, seems it would be prudent to do so, and reading various sources, this seems to be something in play.

I don't know what being "Ben Shapiro-esk" means, but I am sure its not a compliment haha. Not sure why saying objectively "Dak had a subpar year" for his standards is slimy. But OK.

I guess my point it "if he gets paid while leading the league in INT's" it would be funny, considering how long Jerry held out to pay him a big contract initially until he "proved it" and then the 2nd contract coming off this year. Maybe it was not subpar? But I feel his past season, out of the 8 he's played, not counting the compound fracture injury, this past year had to be a bottom 2 season to date. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel most Cowboys fan would agree with me.

I have hear the same about Amari, just seems a bit odd to do that move and not have a backup plan. And judging by the amount of people excusing a large portion of Dak's interceptions due to it being a WR running a bad route or it bouncing off his hands, etc, seems the plan was not either well thought out or executed.

I guess my point it "if he gets paid while leading the league in INT's" it would be funny, considering how long Jerry held out to pay him a big contract initially until he "proved it" and then the 2nd contract coming off this year. Maybe it was not subpar? But
I feel his past season, out of the 8 he's played, not counting the compound fracture injury, this past year had to be a bottom 2 season to date. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel most Cowboys fan would agree with me.

I agree with what I didnt strike out or delete.

but Jerry only knows how he won his titles before and seems to keep trying to duplicate that.
This is simply not true
I guess you got a point. I don't remember him trading Alvin Harper or Michael Irvin while also still trying to contend for championships.

But to the degree "Run the ball with a good line, control the clock" seems to be about the same philosophy. Its an opinion and you are free to disagree.

but Jerry only knows how he won his titles before and seems to keep trying to duplicate that.
This is simply not true
I guess you got a point. I don't remember him trading Alvin Harper or Michael Irvin while also still trying to contend for championships.

But to the degree "Run the ball with a good line, control the clock" seems to be about the same philosophy. Its an opinion and you are free to disagree.
No

He used to sign splashy names in FA. That rarely if ever happens now.

They’ve been building through the draft lately and done a pretty good job of it. I credit Will McClay for the drafting, but Jerry has changed his ways.

They won 12 games again this year, 3 with Cooper Rush! at QB. How many games did Philly win this year without their starting QB?

No one here ever mentions it, but the Cowboys had some season killing injuries this year.

Their All Pro left tackle missed the first 12 games of the season, then when he came back he played right tackle because the starting right tackle was lost for the year in week 12.
The guy that played left tackle all season was a rookie that was supposed to play left guard.
They lost a starting corner for the year in week 12 and their nickel corner in week 7, also for the year.
A defensive tackle they traded for mid season actually played great run defense then missed
5 of their last 6 games.
Gallup didn’t come back as healthy as was expected and their FA WR got hurt in August and never played.

Their OCs playing calling was stale and predictable and teams were commenting after the games that they knew what was coming all day. He’s gone.

These are also some of the reasons I chuckle when I see Eagles fans saying that the East is theirs for the foreseeable future.

Stephen Jones talking about "having to have a plan to extend Dak"

Anyone care to guess where an extension would land? Would the Jone's want to, this time, do it early to save money or do you think they will wait to see what the other players at the position get first?

McCarthy on Kellen Moore:

“I’ve been where Kellen has been: Kellen wants to light the scoreboard up,” McCarthy told reporters at the NFL combine.
“But I want to run the damn ball* so I can rest my defense. I don’t desire to be the No. 1 offense in the league.

*Cowboys were sixth in the league in rushing attempts in 2022. Seems Moore ran it quite a bit.

“I’ve been where Kellen has been: Kellen wants to light the scoreboard up,” McCarthy told reporters at the NFL combine.
“But I want to run the damn ball* so I can rest my defense. I don’t desire to be the No. 1 offense in the league.

*Cowboys were sixth in the league in rushing attempts in 2022. Seems Moore ran it quite a bit.
Can't wait to see what his playcalling looks like next year with comments like this.

Can't wait to see what his playcalling looks like next year with comments like this.
Strange comment, some might even say "classless".

:coffee:

Not quite as classless as being a sore loser and shoving a cameraman away by the camera and all after you lose in the playoffs, but I digress.

But back to just talking about football - I keep seeing on the twitters a "big move" is expected from the Cowboys shortly, some speculating a trading for Amari Cooper. I wish I was joking when I typed this, but it seems to be a possibility. I do think the Cowboys will try to acquire a WR - Cooks and Hopkins are names that make sense to me though.

I’d say nice try, but it wasn’t even that

So you don’t see the difference between a coach talking about a different mind set in game planning, play calling and a player calling out an ex coach on social media?

So you don’t see the difference between a coach talking about a different mind set in game planning, play calling and a player calling out an ex coach on social media?
Splitting hairs really. You really want CJ to be a bad guy here, and I get it. I used to hate on Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith, and it was never about their play on the field, more about antics and white powder. Sometimes we grasp at anything we can do make a great player look tarnished. What else is there to really hate on with him? He a star player and will be tormenting your team for the next half decade and I'm sure he'll get a couple Dak picks at some point. You are welcome to your opinion as we are welcome to the opinion that Mike McCarthy is a sore loser, and its a fact that Kellen Moore loves to run up the score, a la the last game of the 2021 season against 3rd stringers.

I see a coach calling out his former OC (after letting him go) for not running enough and being more concerned about having the number one offense. I mean, he literally says it.

The Cowboys had the 6th most rushing attempts, yet he criticized Moore for not running enough.

But whatever, sure, CJGJ is classless for answering a question.

I see a coach calling out his former OC (after letting him go) for not running enough and being more concerned about having the number one offense. I mean, he literally says it.

The Cowboys had the 6th most rushing attempts, yet he criticized Moore for not running enough.

The #s don’t always tell the whole story. But I’m sure you know that already.
There were many times that Dallas should have been running the ball (and the clock) but Moore was throwing it and giving the ball back to the other team.
Maybe I’m giving you too much credit actually …

I'd encourage Cowboy's fans or those interested to hear this explanation on what McCarthy really meant by his "run the ball more" comments. PIc up this podcast at the 40:30 mark. The source on this one is good, Michael Lombardi, and I say that because for over a year now he's been saying this is exactly McCarthy feels and said weeks before it happened that McCarthy wanted Moore gone and replaced with Schottenheimer. Obviously, he has some quality sources on this one: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...unk-nflpa-report/id1458884463?i=1000602550622

There were many times that Dallas should have been running the ball (and the clock) but Moore was throwing it and giving the ball back to the other team.
Cool, cool...Good talking to you.

Step 1 is complete!

I could have sworn it was Dak throwing those INTs.

Odds Zeke is on the team next year now that Tony is franchised? As a Pollard owner I hope Zeke goes. If they do keep him, what type of dollar amount per year would make sense for both teams? I do wonder if he'd take significantly less than Pollard, and if he doesn't, that's a hell of a lot of RB money.

Odds Zeke is on the team next year now that Tony is franchised? As a Pollard owner I hope Zeke goes. If they do keep him, what type of dollar amount per year would make sense for both teams? I do wonder if he'd take significantly less than Pollard, and if he doesn't, that's a hell of a lot of RB money.
1 million dollars

So with 2 years left on Dak's contract, do you guys think the Cowboys should take Hendon Hooker in the 3rd round if he is available? I actually think this would be a good move because his rookie year will most likely be a red shirt year recovering from his injury, and the Cowboys would have another year of Dak to decide if they want to extend him or move on from him.

So with 2 years left on Dak's contract, do you guys think the Cowboys should take Hendon Hooker in the 3rd round if he is available? I actually think this would be a good move because his rookie year will most likely be a red shirt year recovering from his injury, and the Cowboys would have another year of Dak to decide if they want to extend him or move on from him.
I like it! But that would require the coaching staff to look past 2023. Jerry might block the window for long view

A good read imo

I really hope they can bring back Wilson at reasonable price.

I think they’ll be able to bring back LVE at a decent price because of his neck, we’ll see.

I’d like to see Hankins and Watkins back also because God knows they’re not going to draft a decent DT 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread