What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lanning told players last night including newly signed recruits he wasn't going. It would be a shock if he now decided to go.

I think Norvell, Kiffin and Debour are the best bets.

Lanning told players last night including newly signed recruits he wasn't going. It would be a shock if he now decided to go.

I think Norvell, Kiffin and Debour are the best bets.
Football coaches are full of ****
Agreed. It would be way out of character for Lanning though. Alabama had to have had their guy for some time now. Lanning would have to be an idiot to publicly state he isn't going anywhere two weeks ago.

Oregon insiders still extremely confident he stays

Why Lanning? Help me understand that one. What's his signature win? He's 0-3 against Washington and was THE reason for two of those losses with inexcusable coaching decisions (plural). He got curbstomped by Georgia. He lost a Civil War game to an inferior team that attempted 6 (SIX) total passes.

And this is the top target for the best college football program in the history of the sport? I don't get it.

Per ESPN this am (news scroll) was upset with the direction college football is heading. With the coaching rumors, maybe ncaa can establish a coaches transfer portal...
sounds about right...playing field was leveling with the new rules....i'd not like that either if I had built up that sort of advantage.

What about DeMeco Ryans? I know he's living it up in Houston at the moment, but....
Hands off our coach. We Texans fans deserve a little happiness after suffering for years through one crappy coach after another.

Nobody in their right mind is walking away from CJ Stroud. He just concluded the greatest season ever by a rookie QB. The cap space, the draft capital, Will Anderson. Relax.....he ain't leaving.

Saban was always going to be the biggest domino. The question is how far the ripple will go and exactly how much chaos it takes with it. It's entirely possible Harbaugh jumps to the NFL and you have two premium jobs available and both institutions quite possibly grab name brand coaches from elsewhere and the chaos ensues.

Saban was always going to be the biggest domino. The question is how far the ripple will go and exactly how much chaos it takes with it. It's entirely possible Harbaugh jumps to the NFL and you have two premium jobs available and both institutions quite possibly grab name brand coaches from elsewhere and the chaos ensues.
Hopefully Michigan promotes from within.

And if I am Dan Lanning coaching in the jewel of the Willamette Valley, I check the coaching records of the last two guys who left the Oregon Ducks for greener pastures.

Willie Taggart lasted a season and a half at Florida State and was run out on rusty rails. He failed again in 2 seasons at some direction Florida commuter school and is a running backs coach today.

Mario Crustobal has been an abject disaster at Miami. He's not going to last much longer. He famously lost a game by not knowing how to kneel down. He's a laughing stock and the punch line to jokes.

I think you all will do that as well. Just noting maybe the powers that be look around and realize that a big name might be feasible in the chaos and decide instead of someone like Moore that they go after another big name in this environment.

And if I am Dan Lanning coaching in the jewel of the Willamette Valley, I check the coaching records of the last two guys who left the Oregon Ducks for greener pastures.

Willie Taggart lasted a season and a half at Florida State and was run out on rusty rails. He failed again in 2 seasons at some direction Florida commuter school and is a running backs coach today.

Mario Crustobal has been an abject disaster at Miami. He's not going to last much longer. He famously lost a game by not knowing how to kneel down. He's a laughing stock and the punch line to jokes.
I agree. Also, bet online has posted odds for next Bama coach and Lanning is far and away the lead at -300. Kiffin comes in next at +700

I believe these are low limit bets but still mildly interesting.

Totally. Lanning is 37, if he does want to go to Bama or get back to that area of the country he’ll have opportunities while he’s still in the prime of his career. Following Saban would be dumb as hell.

If Harbaugh leaves, then we'll have a 30 day portal opening for the Bama and Michigan players. Then 30 days for whatever team loses their coach when the replacement is picked. (Assuming of course that those teams don't promote from within)
It's like a 3rd portal window opening, but it might be full of 4 and 5 stars.

Lanning said he’s not leaving. Congrats Oregon fans.

Well.....yet.

It's only a matter of time. He's too big for Eugene. He has "IT" in droves. By far the most personable coach, the only head coach who had the room laughing at the Heisman presentation, owned the TV stage on Monday night. Guy is meant for a bigger stage, but we'll appreciate him while he's here.

Well.....yet.

It's only a matter of time. He's too big for Eugene. He has "IT" in droves. By far the most personable coach, the only head coach who had the room laughing at the Heisman presentation, owned the TV stage on Monday night. Guy is meant for a bigger stage, but we'll appreciate him while he's here.
Dude if he turns down Alabama I don't think he plans on going anywhere soon. I guess the NFL is possible, but if that happens he likely would have won a title with Oregon and I would be just fine with that.

Future is bright and just enjoy it!

Well.....yet.

Dude if he turns down Alabama I don't think he plans on going anywhere soon. I guess the NFL is possible, but if that happens he likely would have won a title with Oregon and I would be just fine with that.

I am. That's why I said I'm going to appreciate it while he's here.

Future is really bright for him and unlike the last two turkeys who bolted Eugene, I actually like Lanning and will be rooting for him wherever he goes....kind of like Dame Lillard. He's awesome.

If Harbaugh leaves, then we'll have a 30 day portal opening for the Bama and Michigan players. Then 30 days for whatever team loses their coach when the replacement is picked. (Assuming of course that those teams don't promote from within)
It's like a 3rd portal window opening, but it might be full of 4 and 5 stars.

I reckon Michigan will quickly promote Sherrone Moore and that will help keep most of the players. But who knows?

Well.....yet.

I think it's smart to not take THIS Alabama job.

There's a lot of pressure following the GOAT. Let someone else fail, do big things in the mean time, and then take the job in a few years if it opens back up.

It’ll be interesting to see how some newer Bama fans or those who forgot react to not being dominant anymore. Bama was not this Bama before he got there. Lot of bad hires and mediocre years.
* cough* Mike Shula *cough*

They had to fire a coach for soliciting a prostitute at a golf pro-am who stole his corporate AMEX....BEFORE HE EVEN COACHED A GAME!

Can you imagine telling that story to an 18 year old who just finished his or her first term there? They'd never believe it.

My bet is Kiffin
This is my thought as well. He and Sarkisian make the most sense. I think Sarkisian is already at a top 5-ish program with all the resources in the world and set up nicely for the future. It's a bigger step up for Kiffin who has turned around Ole Miss. He's shown he can win in the SEC. Put him at Bama and I think he can succeed big time.

Wait, what? What about the extension that’s been there for weeks?

Just busting your chops @The Commish. Congrats on the championship! A dominant team for sure! I agree with you that a promotion from within makes most sense.

I thought as soon as he announced it that it would be Kiffin.

I think if Saban vouches for or lobbies for anyone, he'll lobby for Kiffin or Sarkisian. I think they've both had high level success. Both were OC's under Saban.

Kiffin turned around Ole Miss. Mississippi finished 11 or 12 in the CFP. They would be in the CFP once the 12 teams start. He returns a ton of talent. I think they're a good bet to make the playoff this year. It's hard to walk away from that situation, BUT, Alabama is a pretty significant step up.

Sarkisian is fresh off a playoff appearance. With Arch Manning waiting in the wings, it feels like Texas is set up for a few more good years. Texas moves into the SEC. I think Texas is probably a top 5 job in College Football. I think he has everything he needs there to recruit and win at the highest level. I'm not sure he leaves that to have the pressure of following the GOAT.

I think it's a significant move up for Kiffin.

Well.....yet.

So stoked he's saying. His aggressiveness has obviously cost us a few times (4th and two times three, cough cough), but I'll take that over Mario punting on 4th and 1 from the opponent's 40 all day. He's only been a head coach at any level for two years, he'll keep getting better. And I love everything else about what he's done in his time here. The staff he's built, the recruiting and roster management, the connection to the city, his embrace of marketing with the videos and social media, all of it.

Wait, what? What about the extension that’s been there for weeks?

Just busting your chops @The Commish. Congrats on the championship! A dominant team for sure! I agree with you that a promotion from within makes most sense.
That would be ideal, but I am not holding my breath

I thought as soon as he announced it that it would be Kiffin.

I think if Saban vouches for or lobbies for anyone, he'll lobby for Kiffin or Sarkisian. I think they've both had high level success. Both were OC's under Saban.

Kiffin turned around Ole Miss. Mississippi finished 11 or 12 in the CFP. They would be in the CFP once the 12 teams start. He returns a ton of talent. I think they're a good bet to make the playoff this year. It's hard to walk away from that situation, BUT, Alabama is a pretty significant step up.

Sarkisian is fresh off a playoff appearance. With Arch Manning waiting in the wings, it feels like Texas is set up for a few more good years. Texas moves into the SEC. I think Texas is probably a top 5 job in College Football. I think he has everything he needs there to recruit and win at the highest level. I'm not sure he leaves that to have the pressure of following the GOAT.

I think it's a significant move up for Kiffin.

I think Arch Manning transfers to Bama and Kiffin coaches him to a Heisman.

Why Lanning? Help me understand that one. What's his signature win? He's 0-3 against Washington and was THE reason for two of those losses with inexcusable coaching decisions (plural). He got curbstomped by Georgia. He lost a Civil War game to an inferior team that attempted 6 (SIX) total passes.

And this is the top target for the best college football program in the history of the sport? I don't get it.

I too am interested in this. Can you guys fawning over Lanning elaborate?

He's young and I guess good looking. Had the cool soundbite taking shots at Deion Sanders and clicks.

I'm not sure I get the head over heels.

He's young and I guess good looking. Had the cool soundbite taking shots at Deion Sanders and clicks.

I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth on this one because as an Oregon fan, I don't want Lanning to go anywhere. I really like the guy. But he's YOUNG and he's still learning. There are better candidates with more seasoning than Lanning that Alabama should focus on right now. Lanning has a bright future, but he needs to win some big games and tighten up some of the coaching mistakes cost his teams dearly the last two seasons.

And he was absolutely right on Deion with those shots he took. Hindsight is perfect and he took some heat for them back then, but he was absolutely, 100% proven correct in what he said.

I hit on some of it above, he seems to be nailing everything outside of those 60 minutes on Saturdays. That's where you can absolutely question him. He's 0-3 against UW, and as I mentioned his aggressiveness cost him that game in Seattle this year. He lost to an OSU team last year that literally stopped even trying to complete a forward pass. But I give him the benefit of the doubt that he's learning from the mistakes he makes.

The other thing is that Oregon fans are still suffering from PTSD from all of the recent turnover. Sucks to keep having coaches use the program as a stepping stone, which Taggart and Mario absolutely did. So to have a young promising coach who is recruiting at this level turn down the biggest jobs and money in the country is just a refreshing relief!

Other consideration:

DeBoer just took Washington to the National Championship game. He doesn't have nearly the buget/resources Lanning does at Oregon. If he can take Washington to the National Title game, what can he do with Alabama level resources?

Hoo baby that would be an easy team to hate

Unless you're an Alabama fan.

Or a college football fan in general. How much fun would that be to watch?

Agreed. As a UT fan, I have a vested interest in Alabama not being dominant. But that would be fascinating to watch.

Kiffin to Alabama would be bad news for the rest of college football. He's already dangerous enough with the limited resources at Ole Miss.

Hoo baby that would be an easy team to hate

Unless you're an Alabama fan.

Or a college football fan in general. How much fun would that be to watch?

Agreed. As a UT fan, I have a vested interest in Alabama not being dominant. But that would be fascinating to watch.

Kiffin to Alabama would be bad news for the rest of college football. He's already dangerous enough with the limited resources at Ole Miss.
I am here in Birmingham and as I walk around work the taking heads on radio here are hysterical/apocalyptic.

I hate sports radio, but the screeching is extra unbearable today. I hope they find someone soon just to shut these pundits up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread