What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting back to the absurdity of the entire process let's look at "social media" today where groups of uninformed idiots are using the score of this FSU vs UGA game as a "I told you so" moment. How stupid does one have to be to go there? Really? They need to get back to objective metrics ASAP where the previous year(s) aren't part of the ranking equation. It's a fresh slate for everyone every single year.

Just curious what are your choice for the top 4 using objective metrics with a clean slate and previous years ignored?

I actually think it's Texas that benefited from that more than Bama. Bama at least had easily the best objective resume among 1 loss teams.

Getting back to the absurdity of the entire process let's look at "social media" today where groups of uninformed idiots are using the score of this FSU vs UGA game as a "I told you so" moment. How stupid does one have to be to go there? Really? They need to get back to objective metrics ASAP where the previous year(s) aren't part of the ranking equation. It's a fresh slate for everyone every single year.

Just curious what are your choice for the top 4 using objective metrics with a clean slate and previous years ignored?

I actually think it's Texas that benefited from that more than Bama. Bama at least had easily the best objective resume among 1 loss teams.
This would take a lot for me to put together and weigh and I don't pretend to be objective. I am in the "deserve to be" philosophical group with the current setup up given how subjective they've made it. The reality FSU ran into this year was they were part of a conference the committee didn't think very highly of. One can say you can't control your conference schedule, but that's false. You can and FSU plans to. Either way, SOS is completely circular. The SEC SOS is going to be strong because people think the SEC is strong. They think it's strong because everyone has tough SOS. Objective observation says it is really Bama and UGA and everyone else. Then they go into these bowl games where teams are shells of themselves because of sitting outs, transfers etc and use the bowl games to say "see, we told you". Then that carries to the next year. You'll have the "way to early" polls fired off before the team who wins the "championship" can get home and in their beds and those WILL be a factor in next year's rankings....rinse and repeat. People were pissing and moaning that the "two time" champions didn't get an opportunity as if prior year results matter in the current. It's all a joke and has been since forever.

ETA: To answer your question...I'd have had Michigan, Texas, Washington, and FSU in, but that's not because I'm objective. I put a lot of weight on the entirety of the season and winning your conference championship. The question for me was between Texas and Alabama and I have a result from earlier in the year that decided for me.

Last edited:
Like, play a couple good P5 teams instead of Southern Miss and North Alabama.
Are you being for real lol. They literally scheduled freaking LSU and Florida.

Yes, and those games were positive for their SOS.

They also literally scheduled freaking North Alabama and Southern Miss, and literally ended up with a regular season SOS of 55.

Suppose they scheduled another P5 game instead of North Alabama, and, say, a game against UCF instead of Southern Miss. Their record would have presumably still been 13-0, but their SOS would have been much closer to the other teams under serious consideration for the playoff.

That is hindsight, obviously. The point I made was simply that it is a potential lesson for the future, for teams that expect to contend but are not already in the SEC or B1G, and thus are not already getting strong SOS regardless of who they schedule OOC.

With the playoff expanding, a team like 2023 FSU won't have to worry about this, since they obviously would have been in a 12 team playoff field. But there will be other teams on the bubble for the last 2-3 playoff spots. SOS will matter for those teams.

Like, play a couple good P5 teams instead of Southern Miss and North Alabama.
Are you being for real lol. They literally scheduled freaking LSU and Florida.

Yes, and those games were positive for their SOS.

They also literally scheduled freaking North Alabama and Southern Miss, and literally ended up with a regular season SOS of 55.

Suppose they scheduled another P5 game instead of North Alabama, and, say, a game against UCF instead of Southern Miss. Their record would have presumably still been 13-0, but their SOS would have been much closer to the other teams under serious consideration for the playoff.

That is hindsight, obviously. The point I made was simply that it is a potential lesson for the future, for teams that expect to contend but are not already in the SEC or B1G, and thus are not already getting strong SOS regardless of who they schedule OOC.

With the playoff expanding, a team like 2023 FSU won't have to worry about this, since they obviously would have been in a 12 team playoff field. But there will be other teams on the bubble for the last 2-3 playoff spots. SOS will matter for those teams.
Their strength of record, which the committee allegedly uses and which includes SOS was 3. None of this matters and nobody is scheduling 3 power 5 games OOC. Travis got hurt the committee didn’t want them in and that was that.

Georgia wanted to send a very loud message and they did
That’s the thing. Different reactions from two teams who would have made be playoffs if next year’s system was in place. Either reaction is understandable for college kids, but one coaching staff was able to motivate and had most of their team playing except their two biggest stars. The other let his players give up. Take that however you want, but there’s no doubt in my mind that the bulldogs will be back in contention quick.
There's zero shame in losing to Georgia; they're good and were back to back champs for a reason.
There's ALL the shame in going out there and going through the motions just to get your swag bag. That FSU performance was embarrassing because they're capable of more...much more.

People are addicted to wanting to be right on the internet, yo.

Travis got hurt the committee didn’t want them in and that was that.
And they weren't going to leave the SEC out, which caused a problem because Texas beat Alabama. It's rather obvious the committee didn't want to do the hard part of their job and didn't. Prior to this, things just kind of worked themselves out. They weren't bailed out this year and crapped the bed.

And they weren't going to leave the SEC out, which caused a problem because Texas beat Alabama. It's rather obvious the committee didn't want to do the hard part of their job and didn't. Prior to this, things just kind of worked themselves out. They weren't bailed out this year and crapped the bed.

I 100% disagree - we just saw exactly why they did do their job. FSU isn’t one of the four best teams in the country. I don’t care how many players they had sit out - they just got the absolute **** beat out of them.

Another record....FSU now holds the record for largest margin of defeat ever by an AP top 5 ranked team. That surpassed the pasting Notre Dame took in 1944 at the hands of Army. Let's also just say that in 1944 Notre Dame (and Army) were a little short handed as well.

I 100% disagree - we just saw exactly why they did do their job. FSU isn’t one of the four best teams in the country. I don’t care how many players they had sit out - they just got the absolute **** beat out of them.
You should care because that team that was on the field for FSU wasn't anywhere close to the team that went undefeated this season. And you can't have it both ways. If you think UGA was one of the four best teams, you can't say they did their job.

You should care because that team that was on the field for FSU wasn't anywhere close to the team that went undefeated this season. And you can't have it both ways. If you think UGA was one of the four best teams, you can't say they did their job.

If the committee's charter is to select the 4 best teams, IMO those were Michigan, Washington, Georgia, and Alabama.

If the committee's charter was to select the 4 most deserving teams, IMO those were Michigan, Washington, Alabama, and FSU. I think most people think this is the charter.

The committee did neither of those, so I don't really understand what their charter is.

If the committee's charter is to select the 4 best teams, IMO those were Michigan, Washington, Georgia, and Alabama.

If the committee's charter was to select the 4 most deserving teams, IMO those were Michigan, Washington, Alabama, and FSU. I think most people think this is the charter.

The committee did neither of those, so I don't really understand what their charter is.
If it was solely most deserving, Alabama was likely going to get left out in favor of Texas. Both were conference champs and Texas won head to head so they were more deserving.

What they did was lean into the injury clause because they found themselves in a most deserving position with the SEC on the outside looking in.

Committee says it was the best four teams....by their own standard they crapped the bed (failed). And I'd replace Alabama with Texas in the "best four".

If it was solely most deserving, Alabama was likely going to get left out in favor of Texas. Both were conference champs and Texas won head to head so they were more deserving.

What they did was lean into the injury clause because they found themselves in a most deserving position with the SEC on the outside looking in.

IMO the most impressive win of the season was Alabama over Georgia in the SEC championship game, and Alabama played a tougher schedule and had more quality wins than Texas. Yes, both were conference champs, but the SEC was obviously the better conference, so being SEC conference champ is more impressive.

There aren't many "SOS" calculations that don't include garbage like recruiting classes, who was lost/gained etc, but here's one. It's straightforward and calculates the team's difficulty based on their opponents and who they played and how they faired in those contests.

Yeah, it uses their power rankings as a point of reference, so not perfect, but it cuts out a lot of that other garbage. I'll never understand the "stronger conference" stuff since most don't even play all the teams in the conference. The schedule is what matters. You'll notice in this ranking that the point spread between 1 and 50 is 14 points roughly. There isn't a huge gap like one might think when it comes to "SOS" if you take a bunch of the subjective nonsense away. Even ESPN's "strength of record" calculation has the two incredibly similar. I have no idea what goes into their numbers either. I just know that's what they allegedly use.

IMO the most impressive win of the season was Alabama over Georgia in the SEC championship game, and Alabama played a tougher schedule and had more quality wins than Texas. Yes, both were conference champs, but the SEC was obviously the better conference, so being SEC conference champ is more impressive.
And yet, they played and Texas was better. It’s why they are 3 and Bama was 4. They simply could not let subjective thought win out over head to head.

And yet, they played and Texas was better. It’s why they are 3 and Bama was 4. They simply could not let subjective thought win out over head to head.

I get that argument, I just don't agree with it, given the situation as it existed. IMO Alabama had the best win, and Texas also had a worse loss than any of the other teams under consideration for the playoff field. Alabama's win over Georgia was also the last game of the season, while Texas's win over Alabama was at the beginning of the season... things change over the course of a full college football season.

If it's most deserving, Alabama definitely had a better resume than Texas. The only thing Texas had going for it is that their big win happened to be against the team right in front of them. But if H2H is a dealbreaker and trumps a moderately better resume, then why not Oklahoma over Texas? Because an extra loss is too important? Then why not FSU over Texas?

Texas was the one that got the benefit of the doubt due to their name, even moreso than Bama. If you swapped out their name with Baylor, FSU/Bama would have gotten in and Baylor would have been the one left out.

I guess we'll see where LSU ends up after their bowl game but there's a fairly good chance that Bama will have ended up playing 4 teams that finished in the top 10 of the final rankings, while Texas played 1.

If it's most deserving, Alabama definitely had a better resume than Texas. The only thing Texas had going for it is that their big win happened to be against the team right in front of them. But if H2H is a dealbreaker and trumps a moderately better resume, then why not Oklahoma over Texas? Because an extra loss is too important? Then why not FSU over Texas?

Texas was the one that got the benefit of the doubt due to their name, even moreso than Bama. If you swapped out their name with Baylor, FSU/Bama would have gotten in and Baylor would have been the one left out.

I guess we'll see where LSU ends up after their bowl game but there's a fairly good chance that Bama will have ended up playing 4 teams that finished in the top 10 of the final rankings, while Texas played 1.
And the one they played, they beat.

I get that folks want to debate the entire resume, and they should, but H2H has to carry the biggest weight of all IMO. They played and we know who was better.

Your question on FSU I answered as well if it was most deserving - the three undefeated conference champions + Texas.

Now, do I think Bama is more deserving than a Travis-less FSU? Yes. That’s why I get what they did. But I think Texas is more deserving since their SOS wasn’t crazy far apart (look at Commish’s link above), they were both 1 loss conference champions, and most importantly of all…they beat Bama. At Bama.

If we go down the route of “I think….” More than what results on the field, there’s no point in playing the regular season games. It’d also tell teams to schedule garbage teams because it becomes an I think exercise. Texas is in because Bama won and they beat Bama. I’d bet if Georgia won, they’d have had Georgia and FSU. Texas is in because of the H2H and that’s a good thing for college football IMO.

I’m not on the committee. I think Georgia is one of the four best and FSU isn’t. They agreed with me on the latter but not the former - they did their job.

ETA: just to be clear - doing their job <> getting it right because there is no right when something is subjective.

Last edited:

I’m not on the committee. I think Georgia is one of the four best and FSU isn’t. They agreed with me on the latter but not the former - they did their job.

ETA: just to be clear - doing their job <> getting it right because there is no right when something is subjective.
The committee screwed up.

If they are taking the most deserving, FSU absolutely belonged.

If they are taking the four best teams, Georgia absolutely belonged. Ask Vegas if you don't believe me.

Regardless, the committee is full of **** and caved to ESPN's demands I'm sure.

This is where we disagree. There are plenty of ways to keep it all objective. They chose not to. Their job is to get it right and they didn't by their professed objective. Not a single objective measure would suggest that UGA is NOT one of the best four teams in the country.

The committee screwed up.

If they are taking the most deserving, FSU absolutely belonged.

If they are taking the four best teams, Georgia absolutely belonged. Ask Vegas if you don't believe me.

Regardless, the committee is full of **** and caved to ESPN's demands I'm sure.

This is where we disagree. There are plenty of ways to keep it all objective. They chose not to. Their job is to get it right and they didn't by their professed objective. Not a single objective measure would suggest that UGA is NOT one of the best four teams in the country.

I agree with both of you that UGA is one of the four best. I do think it’s possible to not to come to that conclusion though. I think the committee got it wrong, I just think they did their job (MO) - in particular I’m personally very happy they kept FSU out when their QB got hurt. I have no dog in this fight - I hate UGA and don’t root for any of these teams. I want to see good games - I can see the logic in what they did. Hell, I would probably leave Michigan out of the top 4 in favor of UGA - people’s minds would be blowing if they did that too.

So I have a parlay cooking. All money lines:

Mizzou WIN
Tennessee
Alabama
Washington

+2008

What do you guys think? I'm probably gonna hedge Iowa +185. That will cover my initial bet if Tennessee loses that game.

Mizzou WIN
Tennessee
Alabama
Washington

+2008

What do you guys think? I'm probably gonna hedge Iowa +185. That will cover my initial bet if Tennessee loses that game.
I like Iowa today but all these games are close and bowl games can go either way. Michigan is probably better on paper than Bama but Saban with a month to prepare should pick Harbaugh apart.

Mizzou WIN
Tennessee
Alabama
Washington

+2008

I like Iowa today but all these games are close and bowl games can go either way. Michigan is probably better on paper than Bama but Saban with a month to prepare should pick Harbaugh apart.
They aren't. There's no objective stat/metric where Michigan is better.

Ok time to go on the record….

Bama over Michigan - wouldn’t surprise me if this is a Bama blowout or a close Michigan win. What concerns me about Bama is their OL vs Michigan’s front 7. If they can give Milroe time, it’ll be a long day for Michigan.

What hurts Michigan most is their schedule was complete garbage this year. McCarthy has been off for weeks. They might be the best team this year or they might be a paper tiger about to be exposed. If McCarthy returns to form and they can maintain a semblance of a running game, they’ll keep it closer than most think. Michigan just feels like it needs too much to go right.

——

Texas over Washington - I live in Longhorn country and this team has a quiet confidence to it. My hunch is their defense is what shines through today.

What will be most telling is whether Washington can find a run game against a stout Texas DL. If they can, it could easily tip things to Washington. I think Texas aims to make them one dimensional and it’ll be down to Penix/Odunze to overcome things if Washington is to win.

I really like Washington and I expect this to be the best bowl game of the year. Going with my gut to pick Texas, but this one is a toss up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread