What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking some actual football - very quick start for UCF v Georgia Tech.

Thanks for steering it back, GB. The legal chitchat is getting old.
We need to get back to how Michigan deserves the death penalty for scouting teams on their schedule.

Win a playoff game first. I think that's what I'd like to see from such a "vaunted" program. Can Michigan win even one of those?
No full national title since a few years after WW2 ended.

We need to get back to how Michigan deserves the death penalty for scouting teams on their schedule.

Win a playoff game first. I think that's what I'd like to see from such a "vaunted" program. Can Michigan win even one of those?
Who's labeled them such? I sure as hell havent. Though i will say not many schools get as much out of the talent they get as Michigan. Alabama should boat race them.

Just checking in to see how some of us still feel about the incredibly impenetrable super duper ironclad ACC magical GOR that would never be broken or challenged?

I don't think anyone posted that it wouldn't be challenged. It was posted that it hadn't been to date, nor was the Big 12 GOR ever challenged.

Check back in when FSU defeats the GOR in court.

Who's labeled them such? I sure as hell havent. Though i will say not many schools get as much out of the talent they get as Michigan. Alabama should boat race them.

I just desperately want to steer this thread back to discussing actual football and not legal maneuvering and TV contracts. Feel like we need separate threads. So, am I poking the bear? I am. Do I think Michigan can beat Alabama? I do not.

The Thursday and Friday games featured four 6-6 teams. Six of the 14 teams playing today are 6-6 going into those games. Four more are 7-5. One of the games on Tuesday features 5-7 Minnesota. A hearty tip o' the cap to any neutrals watching college football this week.

Alabama should boat race them.
That seems to be the consensus of all the "experts" I see on tv. Plus most of the bettors are taking Bama. Yet the odds seem to be holding steady with Bama still getting points.
I mean, they have WAY better players...all those four and five stars....better coaches. All of it. Have no idea what the "experts" are saying. Can't remember the last time I watched/listened to sports TV/radio....it's always annoyed me.

That seems to be the consensus of all the "experts" I see on tv. Plus most of the bettors are taking Bama. Yet the odds seem to be holding steady with Bama still getting points.
I mean, they have WAY better players...all those four and five stars....better coaches. All of it. Have no idea what the "experts" are saying. Can't remember the last time I watched/listened to sports TV/radio....it's always annoyed me.
I'm just making the point that despite all those advantages that Bama has, they are oddly not the favorite, even with all that money on them.

I just desperately want to steer this thread back to discussing actual football and not legal maneuvering and TV contracts. Feel like we need separate threads. So, am I poking the bear? I am. Do I think Michigan can beat Alabama? I do not.
sorry....didn't pick up on that. Several teams have been in the playoff and not won a game so I was sorta puzzled with the comment. Seemed like a pretty arbitrary line of "success" at first. Now i understand your context.

I'm just making the point that despite all those advantages that Bama has, they are oddly not the favorite, even with all that money on them.
It's weird for sure

CFB Nerds and some others have been pointing out for roughly 6 weeks that this Bama team's Jeckyl and Hyde season is influencing models. They picked LSU over Bama, an UGA easy win, etc. I haven't seen a Michigan version yet but I'm pretty sure U-M will be the model's pick. Lots of metrics are either close to even or lean to Michigan. I'm guessing that's impacting bettors/Vegas to date. Will be an interesting line to watch over the next week.

The Thursday and Friday games featured four 6-6 teams. Six of the 14 teams playing today are 6-6 going into those games. Four more are 7-5. One of the games on Tuesday features 5-7 Minnesota. A hearty tip o' the cap to any neutrals watching college football this week.
And I'm taking in every last one of them, though since I didn't have time to watch yesterday some of that will be 'key plays' via YouTube TV (the blowout mentioned above for sure). "better" teams are just around the bend.

Tate Rodemaker is tired of waiting for the ACC exit, so he’s making his own. Georgia is depleted, but FSU now has to start the freshman who threw for 55 yards in his first start. Yikes.

I’m usually one to not pick my own team, but ND has little excuse. Yes, like most teams, we’re missing some key pieces (Hartman, Estime), but the majority of our top 10 defense is playing.

Oregon State has been gashed by the PAC12 fallout and their coach leaving. Even Damien Martinez is now doubtful to play. Yes the Irish start Angeli and have guys like Alt out, but the backup OL looked solid and they still have Love and Price to run back there. I’d bet you see one of the WRs step up, a TE like Raridon shines as well, but Love shows why he was a top recruit as the defense gives them good position most of the day.

5-7 University of Minnesota is engaged in a tough battle today - currently losing 7-6 after one quarter to Bowling Green (7-5) in the Quick Lane Bowl. The Quick Lane Bowl is the successor to the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, which historically involved the 8th place team in the Big Ten against the Mid-American champion. Quick Lane has dropped the admissions standards somewhat this year in featuring the last place team from the Big Ten West against the 3rd place team from the MAC East.

Tate Rodemaker is tired of waiting for the ACC exit, so he’s making his own. Georgia is depleted, but FSU now has to start the freshman who threw for 55 yards in his first start. Yikes.
Other than obligation there is no reason to play this game.

I cannot imagine a more unsatisfying conclusion to an amazing season. Sucks.

5-7 University of Minnesota is engaged in a tough battle today - currently losing 7-6 after one quarter to Bowling Green (7-5) in the Quick Lane Bowl. The Quick Lane Bowl is the successor to the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, which historically involved the 8th place team in the Big Ten against the Mid-American champion. Quick Lane has dropped the admissions standards somewhat this year in featuring the last place team from the Big Ten West against the 3rd place team from the MAC East.
Minnesota only got to play because there weren’t enough +.500 teams, even after taking Troy & JMU. It’s hardly the bowl’s fault.

Other than obligation there is no reason to play this game.

I cannot imagine a more unsatisfying conclusion to an amazing season. Sucks.
Agreed. It’s like 95% of bowl games nowadays between the NFL and transfer portal.

I’m intellectually curious what happens next year. Next year Ohio State is in, FSU is in, LSU is in, etc. Does McCord still transfer? Rodemaker? Do the NFL ready guys on a non top-4 teams stay or do guys like Verse or Wilson or Daniels still opt out?

I really think the transfer window is going to mess with the playoffs or vice versa for a few years as teams and players navigate the schedule. I’m kinda hoping we see more in tact teams for the playoffs, so we get better bowls like we used to, but don’t want to see the players hurt by scheduling anomalies.

About a third of my old fantasy league went to Texas State. They are saying the stadium ran out of beer in the first quarter. And all the other concessions are out by now too except popcorn and water they said.

Man, someone gotta lose a job over that. I googled it, and NFL teams sell about a half a million dollars of beer per game. Talk about a loss in revenue.

CFB Nerds and some others have been pointing out for roughly 6 weeks that this Bama team's Jeckyl and Hyde season is influencing models. They picked LSU over Bama, an UGA easy win, etc. I haven't seen a Michigan version yet but I'm pretty sure U-M will be the model's pick. Lots of metrics are either close to even or lean to Michigan. I'm guessing that's impacting bettors/Vegas to date. Will be an interesting line to watch over the next week.
CFB Nerds Rose Bowl video is out....their model has Michigan by 10. But they both pick Bama in a close game.

CFB Nerds Rose Bowl video is out....their model has Michigan by 10. But they both pick Bama in a close game.
The only way this is close to possible is if the Auburn game Bama shows up and forgets how to stop the run.

The only way this is close to possible is if the Auburn game Bama shows up and forgets how to stop the run.
Different schemes…will be interesting to see how much U-M varies their run game.

Different schemes…will be interesting to see how much U-M varies their run game.
They likely wont. Corum inside the tackles and Edwards outside/passing. Both backs can do either, but those are their comfort zones.

They likely wont. Corum inside the tackles and Edwards outside/passing. Both backs can do either, but those are their comfort zones.

JJ will run enough to keep Alabama's DEs honest.

JJ will run enough to keep Alabama's DEs honest.
That’s a key…and WRs making 1-on-1 plays. Two common characteristics of teams beating Bama.

To me they coached scared all year. They knew the only team that beat them was Ohio State and the only thing stopping them this year was J.J. getting hurt. They also didn’t want to put anything on tape with Edwards as a receiver. It’s time to empty the playbook

To me they coached scared all year. They knew the only team that beat them was Ohio State and the only thing stopping them this year was J.J. getting hurt. They also didn’t want to put anything on tape with Edwards as a receiver. It’s time to empty the playbook
The only time I felt they were "scared" was at the beginning of the PSU game when they realized the ends were going to be a problem. I think they addressed that surprisingly well even if it was labeled boring or whatever. Come to find out, at the beginning of that week, McCarthy could barely walk, so in hindsight, it made sense. I'm relatively confident we haven't seen the full potential of McCarthy either. I guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread