What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: end of bench player on Knicks roster feeling self-conscious about not having crippling, season-ending injury (30 Viewers)

I love the fact the NBA claims the lottery is good to help tanking, but they probably have the worst tanking problem in all of sports.

Hornets, pistons and blazers fans should just remember that this top 10 is a crapshoot the likes of which we may have never seen before. The projected first round has been jumbled and revised an insane amount over the past year. So I wouldn’t worry too much about where you are picking.

Hornets, pistons and blazers fans should just remember that this top 10 is a crapshoot the likes of which we may have never seen before. The projected first round has been jumbled and revised an insane amount over the past year. So I wouldn’t worry too much about where you are picking.

That is true, but back to back years we had the worst possible outcome. The lottery is stupid.

That is true, but back to back years we had the worst possible outcome. The lottery is stupid.
I would like someone to figure out the odds of having the worst record and getting the fifth pick two straight years.

I love the fact the NBA claims the lottery is good to help tanking, but they probably have the worst tanking problem in all of sports.
Both things can be true. Finding the next All-NBA player in the draft is key to reversing your fortunes as a franchise, and when that player can play 75% of the team's minutes, their value magnified. How many teams have won a title without a definite top 5 player?

There is nobody in baseball that can individually change a franchise (see the Angles of the last 10 years). In the NFL and NHL, a top flight QB and goalie make a huge difference, but otherwise, it takes a lot of big pieces.

I would like someone to figure out the odds of having the worst record and getting the fifth pick two straight years.
If history is any indication, the odds are 2/2.

You shouldn’t be able to win the #1 pick after being in the play in tournament. Even if everything were above board, that would not make any sense.

You shouldn’t be able to win the #1 pick after being in the play in tournament. Even if everything were above board, that would not make any sense.
Eh. Losing the play in means not being in the playoffs. We literally just expanded it to include those 4 extra teams. Which have been a part of the lottery basically forever before now.

Poor Pistons, I guess, but this feels like exactly what the NBA intended - just being garbage all year doesn't mean high likelihood of a top 3 pick. Between the lottery and the playoffs, only 4 teams seemed like they were tanking, to me (Detroit, Washington, Portland, Charlotte) and you could argue Detroit and Washington both tried they just suck.

The worst team should never drop that far, it's ridiculous, should be no worse than dropping 2 spots
Eh. If you're really gonna go be radical about it, I'm a fan of the 30-year wheel, and I'm intrigued by economist arguments like not having the draft and instead doing a cap budget for each team to go after rookies or something. Give more money to the bottom but more of a free market.

100 percent.

If the worst record part is a given, it’s .479 * .479 = 22.9%.

That isn't right

Yeah, lots of people acting like that was some crazy occurrence, but Atlanta getting the first pick this year was way more unlikely than Detroit getting #5 two years in a row. And Detroit getting at least one #1 pick over the two years wouldn't be much more likely (something like 26% chance) than getting two #5s.

Users who are viewing this thread