What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-2024 NBA Salary Cap Draft - SECOND Annual Battle for the Wikkid Cup - Preseason Rankings are In! (2 Viewers)

Team Trader Jake
NOP PG Jose Alvarado $1.8 mil

"Grand Theft Alvarado" is bench depth here at the right price.

Alvarado can competently run the point on offense and improved his shot last year. Where he really shines is on defense though. He's an absolute terror that never stops. Just a joy to watch compete.
Also on my short list.

@dunfee555 sup

So, with Brunson as my starting PG, I need a guy to back him that is a good defender. Pesky, ball-stealing type of dude with a very good 3pt shooter. For that, I present:

De'Anthony Melton - PG/SG, Philly, $8,000,000​

That's who I was going back and forth on with Xavier. I THINK X was cheaper, but I'm just guessing at this point honestly. Trying to figure out which guy might make it back also. That dude is a great transition defender. Just don't ask him to dribble at all 😉 I was gonna use him to spell Bruce Brown and get him spot up three minutes with Trae or Ball. Oh well. Good pick.

That's who I was going back and forth on with Xavier. I THINK X was cheaper, but I'm just guessing at this point honestly. Trying to figure out which guy might make it back also. That dude is a great transition defender. Just don't ask him to dribble at all 😉 I was gonna use him to spell Bruce Brown and get him spot up three minutes with Trae or Ball. Oh well. Good pick.
Yes, $8M is more than $2M. Let me know if you need me to relink the google spreadsheet that everyone else is using.

This pick could make or break my squad for this much money, but I can't pass him up ...

6.19 - Tyler Herro, SG, MIA $27,000,000

Lockdown defen.....j/k @the moops . Yes he is not good defensively (did improve last season), but his offensive game is elite and he has come out the gate scoring well and is motivated to give the league the middle finger on the court after he was maligned all off-season as someone not worthy of being traded for Lillard or not good enough to stay with Miami. Spo said all the right things to start the season and Tyler has responded well. He's a very expensive 6th man, but a luxury I think I can afford with how cheap Maxey & Wagner were.

Now crossing my fingers for a specific player to make it past @Chemical X on the turn...

Last edited:
This pick could make or break my squad for this much money, but I can't pass him up ...

6.19 - Tyler Herro, SG, MIA $27,000,000

Lockdown defen.....j/k @the moops . Yes he is not good defensively (did improve last season), but his offensive game is elite and he has come out the gate scoring well and is motivated to give the league the middle finger on the court after he was maligned all off-season as someone not worthy of being traded for Lillard or not good enough to stay with Miami. Spo said all the right things to start the season and Tyler has responded well. He's a very expensive 6th man, but a luxury I think I can afford with how cheap Maxey & Wagner were.

Now crossing my fingers for a specific player to make it past @Chemical X on the turn...
He was the 4th guy in my que, counting Simmons. That's a great one really.

6.20 - D'Angelo Russell, $17,307,693
7.1 - Zach Collins, $7,700,00

Russell has gotten a bit more efficient in LA second time around. Hits the 3 ball, >80% ft, dishes 6-7 assists per game and can play off the ball.
I hate hate Collins, but Pop seems to like him and $7,700,000 is a bargain for a big does a little of everything and gets 30 minutes a night.

7.02 - Dereck Lively II, C, DAL $4,775,628

Been holding off on him for 3 rounds now and am ecstatic to land him. If Dallas trusts him as their starter this season, then so do I. Guy has defensive and finishing potential galore and will help me with rim protection, rebounding and has a potential to put up good numbers starting with Luka and Kyrie.

He came off the bench and went toe to toe with Wemby in game 1 (16pts/10rbs in 30 min), then found himself out of the rotation after starting game 2 (9pts/2rbs in 17 min) and started game 3 but got in foul trouble and only had 2pts/6rbs in 14 minutes. I expect that roller coaster to continue this season, but with Portis on my roster already as his backup, I'm not concerned.

Back to @dunfee555

7.03 - Markelle Fultz, ORL, PG, $17,000,000

Great defender and passer, especially as a secondary creator around LeBron. Can't and won't shoot, but will be surrounded by shooting at every other position in the starting lineup.

@trader jake is up

Team Trader Jake
7.04 BOS C/PF Al Horford $10 mil

Long-time personal fav of mine, mainly because of his high bball IQ. Plus he occasionally ducks after the first free throw is missed to keep it loose. 😄

On the court he can stretch defenses with his ability to hit from deep (45% last year!) and he's a great fit around a mix of other higher volume players due to his passing. On defense he's still a decent shot blocker and defender that now gets by more on positional awareness than athleticism.

Here he's a great big to pull off the bench and play 20-25 min a game or as an occasional fill-in starter.

Team Trader Jake

Long-time personal fav of mine, mainly because of his high bball IQ. Plus he occasionally ducks after the first free throw is missed to keep it loose. 😄

On the court he can stretch defenses with his ability to hit from deep (45% last year!) and he's a great fit around a mix of other higher volume players due to his passing. On defense he's still a decent shot blocker and defender that now gets by more on positional awareness than athleticism.

Here he's a great big to pull off the bench and play 20-25 min a game or as an occasional fill-in starter.
Nice pick and he can play a little along side both your other bigs too.

Been holding off on him for 3 rounds now and am ecstatic to land him. If Dallas trusts him as their starter this season, then so do I. Guy has defensive and finishing potential galore and will help me with rim protection, rebounding and has a potential to put up good numbers starting with Luka and Kyrie.

He came off the bench and went toe to toe with Wemby in game 1 (16pts/10rbs in 30 min), then found himself out of the rotation after starting game 2 (9pts/2rbs in 17 min) and started game 3 but got in foul trouble and only had 2pts/6rbs in 14 minutes. I expect that roller coaster to continue this season, but with Portis on my roster already as his backup, I'm not concerned.

Back to @dunfee555
That dude can DUNK. Jr had him next.

So, Josh Okogie. I almost took him when I took Sharpe but went with the upside of a potential breakout so I'm thrilled Okogie made it back to me 2 rounds later. I can make Sharpe my sixth man and roll out a starting lineup with 2 defensive POY candidates, 2 plus defenders, and Devin Booker now.

That dude can DUNK. Jr had him next.
I'm actually shocked he made it back around to me. I almost took him instead of Portis, but I hoped he was under the radar enough to get past anyone looking at centers and it worked. I also rolled the dice because I thought chemX could take Herro, so I put him off one more pick, but had to grab him finally. As far as value at the center position goes, I think he will produce the most for the lowest salary. Dallas is already showing some trust in him and he showcased really well in the opener against Wemby and the Spurs.

Team Trader Jake

I think he is actually a little under market value at $10M because of what he brings on both ends. Kind of a poor man's Lopez. He won't give you a ton of stats for the fantasy side of things, but in real world basketball he's a tremendous asset off the bench.

Sorry was on a call.

7.05 - Terance Mann - G/F, Clips
$10,576,923

Yeah, there are lots of mouths to feed here (insert Harden fat suit joke), but there are lots of knees and ankles to cause missed games, and there is a reason they protected him from trade discussions.

Solid youngish glue guy who can play multiple positions.

Yeah, he's got some weaknesses. He doesn't give you much scoring and he makes Shaq look like Steph Curry at the free throw line. But he does rebound really well, and protects the rim. There are not going to be any easy buckets in the paint when you're playing my squad.

Mitchell Robinson, C, Knicks, $15,681,818​

There are so many bad contracts in the 17 to 35 million dollar range
They are getting hoovered up like they are great deals here though.
That's why the underpriced guys are so important, so you can still take some of these overpriced players. Beause while they are over-priced, they are better for your team than bottom dollar scrubs.
Wise words from somebody that just drafted Tyler Herro for $27M.

Team Trader Jake
NOP PG Jose Alvarado $1.8 mil

"Grand Theft Alvarado" is bench depth here at the right price.

Alvarado can competently run the point on offense and improved his shot last year. Where he really shines is on defense though. He's an absolute terror that never stops. Just a joy to watch compete.
Thought he'd slip back to me with the injuries.

Back to @dunfee555
Damn it.

Does @PIK95 know he's up?

I texted him
He said he would pick in about an hour, 54 minutes ago.
I'm so excited! I gotta make more picks or we won't have anything to make fun of.

On a serious note, Simmons looked damn good against Dallas. And again last night. In the flow of the game, in command, bodying people down low, and if they had just decided to put him on Luka the whole night instead of just the start of the third, I think they win the game. He had some actual competitive fire, which surprised me, and holy **** can he defend.

Felt like every time we got something going, it was like "Ben Simmons makes a play or "Cam Thomas scores again" and some of those were Simmons assisting...it made me go "Ah, yes, that's why other NBA GMs are heavily like "but it could work for me..."

Also, this team is going to be extremely difficult to score against.

Simmons-Anunoby-Dort-Paolo-Turner

Paolo is the clear weak spot, but he's totally covered up by the other four. Simmons, Dort, and Anunoby can all guard 1-4. Dorian off the bench is really a 2-4 guy but can switch to 1s when needed.

Then add the fact that Paolo, Turner, Anunoby, DFS can all shoot, and Dort is serviceable (34% career - he'd be on the can shoot list if his 38% this year holds). So the biggest Simmons weakness (floor spacing) is obviated. Plus, Paolo is the main initiator, Turner is a floor spacer, and that allows Simmons to be in the dunker spot if needed, where he thrives.

I'm actually really excited by this squad. Now to fight with Kev for some recent second rounders...btw our list is missing some two-way guys!

Paolo is the clear weak spot, but he's totally covered up by the other four. Simmons, Dort, and Anunoby can all guard 1-4. Dorian off the bench is really a 2-4 guy but can switch to 1s when needed.

Then add the fact that Paolo, Turner, Anunoby, DFS can all shoot, and Dort is serviceable (34% career - he'd be on the can shoot list if his 38% this year holds). So the biggest Simmons weakness (floor spacing) is obviated. Plus, Paolo is the main initiator, Turner is a floor spacer, and that allows Simmons to be in the dunker spot if needed, where he thrives.

I'm actually really excited by this squad. Now to fight with Kev for some recent second rounders...btw our list is missing some two-way guys!
I was actually calculating how long I could let FVV fall based on his salary, but he seemed like such a great fit on your team and you had the salary to pull the trigger if you wanted to. Decided not to risk it.

I was actually calculating how long I could let FVV fall based on his salary, but he seemed like such a great fit on your team and you had the salary to pull the trigger if you wanted to. Decided not to risk it.
I did consider him, but since you took I did not have to make the decision.

I also considered Kyrie but I had him at a "as long as FVV, Simmons, Kyrie, and another $35M player are available, take value guys until round 10 at least" grade LOL. He was my least favorite in that price range. Watching too start the year (with missed games too) i feel justified.

Two way contracts are not full nba contracts and don’t count towards the nba cap, so we don’t include them here.

@PIK95 you’ve been on the clock for over 3 hours.

In the future if you know you’re going to be away for a while and you’re not far away in the order please send someone a list.

I don’t want to start skipping people but I’m getting pretty close here.

Users who are viewing this thread