What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021: Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional? (2 Viewers)

Which NFL Team gets your vote as the #4 dysfunctional organization?

• New York Jets

Votes: 31 14.5%
  • Washington Football Team

Votes: 26 12.1%
  • Detroit Lions

Votes: 44 20.6%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Houston Texans

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 33 15.4%
  • Cincinnati Bengals

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Chicago Bears

Votes: 24 11.2%
  • Other Team (please post which team)

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters
Quick, name a cold weather NFL franchise without a practice facility.

Hint: it’s seriously underrepresented in these polls.

Oof. Definitely in the running if not for scattered Wild Card appearances here and there.
IDK that scattered is the precise word here; 5 straight WC losses and 6/7 2009-15. Last 5: 25-53-2. Last playoff win was 1990 (one year longer drought than my beloved.)

Pretty sure they have the second least wealthy owner in the league - Mark Davis is also the rare NFL non-billionaire - and that pretty much sets the tone.

Washington Football Team owner Dan Snyder is buying out the team's minority owners. 

The New York Times reports NFL owners next week are expected to approve a waiver that would let Snyder take on an additional $450 million in debt in order to buy out the Football Team's minority owners, who would get around $875 million for 40.5 percent of the team. This would end one of the ugliest, most protracted ownership battles in league history. The buyout comes as an investigation into sexual misconduct within the organization concludes. The team in 2009 paid a female former employee $1.6 million in a confidential settlement after the woman accused Snyder of sexual misconduct. Many women who have worked for the team have said Snyder regularly denigrated women employees. He will have to repay the $450 million by March 2028, according to the Times. Washington fans can look forward to many years -- perhaps decades -- of Snyder, 56, owning 100 percent of the storied franchise. 

SOURCE: NYTimes.com 

Mar 24, 2021, 8:39 AM ET

The sister of Chargers owner Dean Spanos has filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles County Superior Court to force the sale of the team because of alleged "mounting debt that has imperiled the family’s finances. 

Dea Spanos Berberian, who actually owns as much of the team as Dean, alleges that the family trust’s debts and expenses "exceed $353 million," and that "the trust doesn’t have a plan to pay more than $22 million it has pledged to charities." Owners of the team since 1984, the Spanos family has encountered frequent financial difficulties, at least by the standards of NFL owners. Dean and two other siblings issued a statement saying they have no plans to sell. “For the three of us, the Chargers is one of our family’s most important legacies, just as it was for our parents. Unfortunately, our sister Dea seems to have a different and misguided personal agenda.” Obviously we have not heard the last of this. 

SOURCE: Los Angeles Times 

Apr 1, 2021, 5:04 PM ET

NBC Sports' Peter King said he was "told the [Washington Football Team] is intended to be passed down to the next generation of Snyders."

Longtime team owner Daniel Snyder recently took on $450 million in debt to buy out the Football Team's minority owners, with whom he had feuded for years. He now owns 100 percent of the franchise. That could conceivably make it easier for Snyder to sell the team, but King reports there are no such plans. King said Snyder "could face significant league sanctions" if the NFL's report on the Football Team's toxic culture and various sexual harassment scandals is particularly damning. "I don’t believe he would be forced to sell the team, but we’ll see how serious the findings are," King said. If Snyder has his way, his family will own the franchise for decades -- maybe centuries -- to come. 

SOURCE: FMIA 

Apr 5, 2021, 8:26 AM ET

Washington Football Team owner Dan Snyder is buying out the team's minority owners. 

The New York Times reports NFL owners next week are expected to approve a waiver that would let Snyder take on an additional $450 million in debt in order to buy out the Football Team's minority owners, who would get around $875 million for 40.5 percent of the team. This would end one of the ugliest, most protracted ownership battles in league history. The buyout comes as an investigation into sexual misconduct within the organization concludes. The team in 2009 paid a female former employee $1.6 million in a confidential settlement after the woman accused Snyder of sexual misconduct. Many women who have worked for the team have said Snyder regularly denigrated women employees. He will have to repay the $450 million by March 2028, according to the Times. Washington fans can look forward to many years -- perhaps decades -- of Snyder, 56, owning 100 percent of the storied franchise. 

SOURCE: NYTimes.com 

Mar 24, 2021, 8:39 AM ET
I follow a lot of NFL news, first I am hearing about this, wow wow wow...good stuff Faust, thanks for keeping all of us in the loop on this. 

The sister of Chargers owner Dean Spanos has filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles County Superior Court to force the sale of the team because of alleged "mounting debt that has imperiled the family’s finances. 

Dea Spanos Berberian, who actually owns as much of the team as Dean, alleges that the family trust’s debts and expenses "exceed $353 million," and that "the trust doesn’t have a plan to pay more than $22 million it has pledged to charities." Owners of the team since 1984, the Spanos family has encountered frequent financial difficulties, at least by the standards of NFL owners. Dean and two other siblings issued a statement saying they have no plans to sell. “For the three of us, the Chargers is one of our family’s most important legacies, just as it was for our parents. Unfortunately, our sister Dea seems to have a different and misguided personal agenda.” Obviously we have not heard the last of this. 

SOURCE: Los Angeles Times 

Apr 1, 2021, 5:04 PM ET

Wonder where the team moves next?  
This one is interesting and at the same time very depressing and sad. I think the Los Angeles Dodgers got into a situation with McCourt and his wife where the team couldn't meet payroll or live up to their obligations and were forced to sell. I see no reason the Spanos should be able to keep ownership of the team if these accusations and findings are true in any way. The Chargers have long been held back by poor ownership, it's that simple. We suffer in Miami from something similar although our owner is loaded with cash and assts, but he certainly is a good part of the reason the Miami Dolphins suck year in and year out...don't let a 10 win non Playoff year fool you, think 56-26 in Buffalo Week 17. 

The allegations about the Spanos family, while quite possibly true (we know they've had trouble financially compared to the Rams), are just allegations. Dea could be staring at a massive financial windfall from a sale and may not want to stomach the long-term costs coming from the L.A. move. That might be motivating her suit.

FMIA: Roger Goodell’s Successor And 8 Issues Facing NFL In Near Future

Excerpt:

Numbers Game

The early betting lines on Houston Texans games show them to be every bit the expansion team they are. The lines set by Westgate Las Vegas for the 17 regular-season games of the Texans show the wise guys think Houston could go 0-17. Game-by-game:

September: Jacksonville by 3 over Houston, Cleveland by 13.5, Carolina by 4.
October: Buffalo by 14, New England by 6, Indianapolis by 11.5, Arizona by 10.5, L.A. Rams by 8.5.
November: Miami by 7.5, Tennessee by 8.5, N.Y. Jets by 1.
December: Indianapolis by 7, Seattle by 7, Jacksonville by 4, L.A. Chargers by 4.5.
January: San Francisco by 13.5, Tennessee by 6.
Average line: Foes by 7.8 points per game over Houston.

Lines can change and certainly will change as the season goes on. But imagine the precipitous drop your team has taken if, in the span of one short offseason, you’re posted as the underdog twice to a 1-15 team.

Quite a comedown for a team that has won the AFC South in four of the last six years. Reminds me of that classic NFL Films line by the former Houston Oilers head coach, Jerry Glanville, when he said to an official he thought had just blown a call: “You know what NFL stands for? Not For Long, if you keep making calls like that.” This is probably the most precipitous drop in recent memory by a franchise to rock-bottomville.

Average line: Foes by 7.8 points per game over Houston.

Jets by 1.

:doh:

They really think we're gonna stink again, huh? I don't know about that. I think we're a fighting five-win team here! Heck, we won two games with Adam Gase coaching the team last year and we get a shot at an extra game. What's not to love?

Average line: Foes by 7.8 points per game over Houston.

Jets by 1.

:doh:

They really think we're gonna stink again, huh? I don't know about that. I think we're a fighting five-win team here! Heck, we won two games with Adam Gase coaching the team last year and we get a shot at an extra game. What's not to love?
Probably just because the jets drafted him but Zach Wilson.

Detroit, NYJ, NYG, Houston.
Detroit was dysfunctional for 60 years and you would be 100 percent correct.  Since Sheila Ford Hemp took over about a year ago, the franchise finally has really good leadership and is coming together.  The Lions are going to seriously shock people how quickly an organization can turn.   The media thinks Dan Campbell is crazy for talking about biting off knee caps, but the players and the fans love him.  He has assembled a top notch coaching staff and people are actually starting to want to come play for Detroit.  Brad Holmes helped execute a near-perfect draft this year and the Lions have a stockpile of picks the next two seasons.  The Lions have historically drafted pathetically with the exception of a few studs who were obvious picks (Simms, Sanders, Calvin, Stafford) at the top of the draft.  But finally we have someone who can execute an entire draft and build a team.    The 2021 Lions are no longer dysfunctional.  Under Sheila the Lions have:

- Fired Patricia and Quinn

- Brought on-board Chris Speilman for advise

- Made terric hires in Campbell and Holmes.

- Gracefully handled the Stafford situation and created a win-win for everyone involved.

- Repaired relations with Megatron.

There excitement brewing in Detroit about the direction of the team.  I am rarely excited about this team, but am now.  This is not the same old Lions of the last 60 years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit was dysfunctional for 60 years and you would be 100 percent correct.  Since Sheila Ford Hemp took over about a year ago, the franchise finally has really good leadership and is coming together.  The Lions are going to seriously shock people how quickly an organization can turn.   The media thinks Dan Campbell is crazy for talking about biting off knee caps, but the players and the fans love him.  He has assembled a top notch coaching staff and people are actually starting to want to come play for Detroit.  Brad Holmes helped execute a near-perfect draft this year and the Lions have a stockpile of picks the next two seasons.  The Lions have historically drafted pathetically with the exception of a few studs who were obvious picks (Simms, Sanders, Calvin, Stafford) at the top of the draft.  But finally we have someone who can execute an entire draft and build a team.    The 2021 Lions are no longer dysfunctional.  Under Sheila the Lions have:

- Fired Patricia and Quinn

- Brought on-board Chris Speilman for advise

- Made terric hires in Campbell and Holmes.

- Gracefully handled the Stafford situation and created a win-win for everyone involved.

- Repaired relations with Megatron.

There excitement brewing in Detroit about the direction of the team.  I am rarely excited about this team, but am now.  This is not the same old Lions of the last 60 years. 
You got me all excited! lol. Hope it all works out for ya. 

Detroit will be really bad this year but no where near the most dysfunctional organizations at this moment in time. They seem to have a plan right now and have been aggressive in changing the culture of the team. 

The Washington Football Team has been fined $10 million following a league investigation into the franchise's workplace culture. 

The investigation came after at least 15 former employees alleged sexual misconduct in the workplace. Owner Daniel Snyder's wife Tanya will assume leadership of day-to-day operations while Daniel supposedly focuses "on the stadium and 'other matters.'" Although an unprecedented sum for an NFL fine, it still amounts to a slap on the wrist for the billionaire owner. The league's report has also set forth 10 specific recommendations the nameless football team is supposed to follow. In theory, there will be consequences if not. The club has "semi-annual reporting obligations through July 31, 2023."  

SOURCE: NFL

Jul 1, 2021, 3:37 PM ET

Detroit will be really bad this year but no where near the most dysfunctional organizations at this moment in time. They seem to have a plan right now and have been aggressive in changing the culture of the team. 
Yeah, I like the coaching hire and thought they had a good draft.

The clear answer for a long time has been the Jets. I am not sure if they are in the top 5 now though. I would have probably have given Darnold a year and traded down if I were GM, but their strategy makes sense and is defensible. I like their coaching staff now. If they are right on Wilson, they could be an up and coming team soon. 

The Texans have to be number 1. I had Detroit,  Atlanta, and Las Vegas as my next 3.

The clear answer for a long time has been the Jets. I am not sure if they are in the top 5 now though. I would have probably have given Darnold a year and traded down if I were GM, but their strategy makes sense and is defensible. I like their coaching staff now. If they are right on Wilson, they could be an up and coming team soon. 

The Texans have to be number 1. I had Detroit,  Atlanta, and Las Vegas as my next 3.
Everybody is wrong on the Lions.  Their organization has been superb since Sheila Ford took over last year.    

The NFL was not able to get St. Louis authorities' lawsuit dismissed, meaning there will be a trial in January over a dispute in which the city is seeking $1 billion or more.

The state-created entity that owns the Rams' old St. Louis stadium alleges that the team – namely Rams owner Stan Kroenke – failed to follow relocation protocols. They are seeking $1 billion dollars or more in a lawsuit that St. Louis Circuit Court Judge Christopher McGraugh chose not to dismiss when the NFL asked him to in August. As a result, the dispute will go to jury court next January.

SOURCE: St. Louis Business Journal

Sep 15, 2021, 12:17 AM ET

Add Miami to the poll choices.  The offense is a complete mess and we don't know who to blame.

>>When Frye relays the play choice (perhaps made by Godsey) to Tua or Brissett, co-offensive coordinator Studesville (who is not calling plays) said Frye is also permitted to offer “any kind of tips and reminders that they’ve gone over in meetings."<<

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1445417673240760320?s=19

Michael Lombardi reports the Jaguars have held "many closed-door meetings ... over the last two days in the football offices and none of them have anything to do with the Titans."  

It's likely Urban Meyer's disastrous eight months as Jacksonville's head coach, capped off by an embarrassing video of Meyer in an Ohio bar last week, prompted the closed-door discussions. Meyer offered a muted apology on Monday for the video, which caught fire on social media and raised questions about Meyer not traveling with the Jaguars after a Thursday night loss to the Bengals. Sports Illustrated's Mike Silver quoted an anonymous player Monday who said Meyer "has zero credibility in that stadium. He had very little to begin with." Maybe Jaguars brass wants more contrition from their head coach, or maybe they're ready to cut ties in a decidedly failed experiment. The ensuing chaos of Meyer's potential departure would surely trickle down to the team's players, many of whom complained about Meyers' tactics this summer. 

RELATED: 

Trevor Lawrence

SOURCE: Michael Lombardi on Twitter 

Oct 5, 2021, 9:48 AM ET

Clearly Jacksonville has come out of the gates fast and distanced themselves from the rest of the pack but it's a long season and things could bunch up when we go to make the turn around Week 8 or 9 so you might want to check back but so far Jacksonville is taking a blowtorch to the field winning this award in 2021. 

I do wonder though how many 1st round picks a team can waste over a 3-4-5 year run before they could sweep this award away from the Jags but Miami is doing a dam good job of it right now in terms of wasted draft capital. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty impressive for Jacksonville to lap Houston on this one.  They've come a long way in a short period of time.
Very true. Jax has come out of the gates hot this season after they staked a big lead to Houston over the summer. And if you told me two summers ago that any team would be able to take back the Porcelain Throne from House Snyder, I would have called you insane. But here we are. 

Users who are viewing this thread