What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Tax Returns (Meaning you file them this year) - Anyone have a long delay on their refund? (1 Viewer)

Insein

Footballguy
I usually file taxes begining of February and unless I owe, finish them right then. (If I owe I wait until the deadline). 

However this year I filed first week of February and received confirmation the filing was accepted but still no refund. Anyone know if there's major issues processing refunds this year? Anyone else had problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually file taxes begining of February and unless I owe, finish them right then. (If I owe I wait until the deadline). 

However this year I filed first week of February and received confirmation the filing was accepted but still no refund. Anyone know if there's major issues processing refunds this year? Anyone else had problems?

There was a thread last year where it took ages for stuff to get processed.  If you have legit any mismatch from a 1099 to what you put in it puts you on a "list" and they won't get around to it until a manual review.  There are other things that can hang you up, 1099 is not the only one that needs manual review.  

I had a problem with mine, they put it thru automated review after I called to complain and got a tax bill for $38,000.  I called in and was like WTF.  Was their error.  Still took 9 more weeks (38 in total) to get my 2020 refund.  All of it for a return that I did not have to re-file and went in late March.  

Double checked to make sure the routing and bank account numbers were correct and they are. Wouldn't be such a big deal if we weren't for the cost of everything going up suddenly. 

I always file mine on paper in my own hand. Refuse to do the online thing. I usually get my refund (if any) within 6 or 8 months, depending on the weather and the efficiency of the Pony Express. I don't mind waiting in order to stick-it-to-the-man and make them deal with actual paper.

Like a lot of things these days, there is a shortage of the special paper they use to print money. Once they can run off a few extra billion I'm sure they will have the money to pay everyone their refund.

Yeah, I was coming in to post this. I'm still waiting on my 2020, and I don't expect it any time soon. My father is a CPA, and the delays he's dealing with are staggering. 
Same boat. No 2020 return yet and I was due about 3k back. Haven't filed yet, but looks like I'll owe 1500ish this year and it just feels wrong to send the IRS a check. 

I need to make some phone calls soon. 

Same boat. No 2020 return yet and I was due about 3k back. Haven't filed yet, but looks like I'll owe 1500ish this year and it just feels wrong to send the IRS a check. 

I need to make some phone calls soon. 
Good luck. I have a sinking feeling you'll need more than luck and a phone call, though. They're so far behind. My father almost laughed at me when I asked about my return. Not gonna see it for a while. 

Good luck. I have a sinking feeling you'll need more than luck and a phone call, though. They're so far behind. My father almost laughed at me when I asked about my return. Not gonna see it for a while. 
Any chance I get some vig on this action? Government been owing me some money for about a year now... 

Any chance I get some vig on this action? Government been owing me some money for about a year now... 
IRS pays 3% currently on late refunds paid. Good luck backing into their gorilla math though when you actually get paid.

I only got my return in October after numerous calls. When I finally got a live person they couldn't tell me why they were sitting on my refund, just that it was flagged as held and they released the hold. Got the money a few weeks later plus the 3%. Read an article a month ago saying everyone should expect late returns this year as the IRS still wasn't done with 2020 returns and that the IRS answered only 11% of over 282 million phone calls last year.

We owe a butt-load this year. Basically 10% of my salary.  Ungood.

Thankfully, we put away the child tax credit money so that will offset a little bit. 

I have 0 on my withholdings and I need to make adjustments to my wife's w-4.  Might have to have them take out extra per paycheck too so I'm not in the hole more than 5 figures next year. 

I filed and got paid both state and federal in 2 weeks.  I was absolutely shocked.  Honestly never had it paid that fast.    The fed was surprising enough but the state?  Never goes that fast.

Got my state refund in four business days, federal refund in five. Last few years the state has been about a week and the feds about two weeks, so this was even faster than I was expecting. 

Was finally able to check "where's my refund." They changed my return amount. They basically stole my whole child tax credit from me. Going to be a long fight to get it back I'd imagine now. I had a feeling this would happen when we opted out of receiving the advance payments. 

Ugh.

Was finally able to check "where's my refund." They changed my return amount. They basically stole my whole child tax credit from me. Going to be a long fight to get it back I'd imagine now. I had a feeling this would happen when we opted out of receiving the advance payments. 

Ugh.
How do you do that?  I filed a month ago with Turbo Tax and it worked out to be about $3400.  A few days ago I got notice of a deposit of $240 from the IRS.  Eh?

How do you do that?  I filed a month ago with Turbo Tax and it worked out to be about $3400.  A few days ago I got notice of a deposit of $240 from the IRS.  Eh?
Here's the link. You'll have to fill in the information obviously. Any changes are supposed to come with a letter explaining what they changed though. I havent received my letter yet either. 

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Insein said:
Here's the link. You'll have to fill in the information obviously. Any changes are supposed to come with a letter explaining what they changed though. I havent received my letter yet either. 

Called them today. Aside from the hour plus wait on hold, it actually wasn't that bad to fix. The woman was very helpful and explained they were screwing up a lot of people's child tax credits. Apparently there's an issue when transferring from the form to the 1040 where instead of putting the amount it just puts zero. So they'll mail a check for the difference they owe me in about 2 months. Not ideal but at least I'm getting what is owed. 

Insein said:

I just checked.  They said this:

We made changes to your tax return that changed the amount of your refund.

The balance of your refund, $241.00, was sent to your bank on March 16, 2022 for direct deposit. You should receive a notice dated March 7, 2022 that explains the changes made to your tax return.
Given the details they provided, the only thing that changed is that my older son is now 20, which may be too old for the credit I was applying for.

I'm getting destroyed on my taxes this year.  My business took a PPP loan in 2020 and its costing me big time this year.  I'd love to unpack more if we have any tax professionals here.  I'm sure I'm wrong and he's right, but I'd love another set of eyes if anyone has time.  

I'm getting destroyed on my taxes this year.  My business took a PPP loan in 2020 and its costing me big time this year.  I'd love to unpack more if we have any tax professionals here.  I'm sure I'm wrong and he's right, but I'd love another set of eyes if anyone has time.  
I'm not an expert on business taxes but know enough to be dangerous.  It's my understanding that PPP foregiveness is a non taxable event so don't understand how a PPP loan would have any impact Postive or Negative on your tax return.  Below is a article summarizing that.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2022/feb/10/ppp-loans-do-not-need-be-reported-taxable-income-t/

I'm not an expert on business taxes but know enough to be dangerous.  It's my understanding that PPP foregiveness is a non taxable event so don't understand how a PPP loan would have any impact Postive or Negative on your tax return.  Below is a article summarizing that.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2022/feb/10/ppp-loans-do-not-need-be-reported-taxable-income-t/
Thats what I'm seeing too!

My business was hit hard in 2020, mostly by covid but there were other contributing factors.  We applied for the loan and it was later forgiven (like most).  We used that money to fund employees retirement, still give Christmas bonus, etc.  We kept business going as normal, despite the business really breaking even. 

I picked up my taxes this year and my CPA has the PPP loan coded as personal income.  By his work, my salary nearly tripled and I owe a small fortune in taxes.  

My business was hit hard in 2020, mostly by covid but there were other contributing factors.  We applied for the loan and it was later forgiven (like most).  We used that money to fund employees retirement, still give Christmas bonus, etc.  We kept business going as normal, despite the business really breaking even. 

I picked up my taxes this year and my CPA has the PPP loan coded as personal income.  By his work, my salary nearly tripled and I owe a small fortune in taxes.  
I'd question him on why he has that as income.  Again no expert here but I'm certain my current company didn't have to include our PPP forgiveness in our taxable income.  Definitely worth a conversation.

Sounds like time for a new accountant unless you misused the funds for your own income. 

Still never
Insein said:

Called them today. Aside from the hour plus wait on hold, it actually wasn't that bad to fix. The woman was very helpful and explained they were screwing up a lot of people's child tax credits. Apparently there's an issue when transferring from the form to the 1040 where instead of putting the amount it just puts zero. So they'll mail a check for the difference they owe me in about 2 months. Not ideal but at least I'm getting what is owed.
Update. Was not fixed. Never got the amount I was owed. Been trying to call almost every day for the last 3 months and I don't even get placed on hold now. It just says "Due to High call volume, we are unable to answer your call at this time. Goodbye." Click. Every ****ing time.

I've tried seeing if there's an office I can go to but there's nothing within 200 miles. Most years we just joke about the IRS stealing our money but they literally stole $8k from me this year. And it's getting a little rough out here now. $8k could sure ease some stress.

This is a ****ing nightmare to deal with because there's no backdoor in (unless I learn Spanish). They literally just take your call and hang up. That's it. I'd prefer sitting on hold for 5-6 hours. They won't even do that though.

Update. Was not fixed. Never got the amount I was owed. Been trying to call almost every day for the last 3 months and I don't even get placed on hold now. It just says "Due to High call volume, we are unable to answer your call at this time. Goodbye." Click. Every ****ing time.

I've tried seeing if there's an office I can go to but there's nothing within 200 miles. Most years we just joke about the IRS stealing our money but they literally stole $8k from me this year. And it's getting a little rough out here now. $8k could sure ease some stress.

This is a ****ing nightmare to deal with because there's no backdoor in (unless I learn Spanish). They literally just take your call and hang up. That's it. I'd prefer sitting on hold for 5-6 hours. They won't even do that though.
The IRS is horribly understaffed, and has been for years due to budget cuts and hiring freezes. They're just now (very recently) starting a hiring push. Their call centers are notoriously backed-up, and supposedly the IRS only answered 11% of phone calls made to them last year. As someone who calls the IRS pretty frequently, what you have described is not uncommon.

If this delayed refund is truly causing you financial hardship, and you have exhausted all other means of contacting the IRS, you can take your case to the Taxpayer Advocate. You need to apply for their representation, and they review your case to determine how much hardship it is causing you and what steps you have taken to have the matter resolved. If they take your case, they'll work the case for a pretty speedy resolution, in general. I've never had a bad experience working with the Advocate. The problem is that they're an IRS office and have the same understaffing and budgetary problems, so it has become increasingly more difficult to get them to take your case. From what I'm seeing recently, it needs to be a pretty extreme error on the IRS part to even get in the door at the Advocate. Good luck.

And just a note, the best times to call the IRS are literally the moment they open, or very late in the day after business hours. If they open at 7 AM ET, for example, if you call at 7:00 AM ET you have a shot of getting in the call queue. If you call at 7:01, it could be a 2-3 hour wait on hold, if you get in the queue at all. Sometimes you can get lucky in you call in the evening. If you try to call between like 9 AM and 3 PM, you've got essentially no shot of getting the call answered.

And just a note, the best times to call the IRS are literally the moment they open, or very late in the day after business hours. If they open at 7 AM ET, for example, if you call at 7:00 AM ET you have a shot of getting in the call queue. If you call at 7:01, it could be a 2-3 hour wait on hold, if you get in the queue at all. Sometimes you can get lucky in you call in the evening. If you try to call between like 9 AM and 3 PM, you've got essentially no shot of getting the call answered.
This. I call the IRS about once a month or so on mostly payroll tax related issues and found the best time to get through is after 3:00 C.S.T. Even then its usually a long hold. I've talked to the IRS more this past years than my previous 20 years in public/private accounting. The amount of mistakes they made and the issues are ERC filings are insane. Keep calling @Insein eventually you'll get through

Users who are viewing this thread