What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (1 Viewer)

gump said:
Congrats DeVonta...cements his place in the debate of best College WR career ever.
Very deserving of the Heisman for sure.  I'll be curious to see if he goes ahead of Chase in the draft.  I think Chase may be the superior talent, but not playing this year will probably cause him to drop a little.  

Could the national championship game get postponed until later?

According to AL.com, Ohio State, Alabama, the Big Ten, the SEC and College Football Playoff officials have had discussions about possibly postponing the game by a week, from January 11 to January 18.

The report says Ohio State could be without an entire position group because of COVID-19 testing and contact tracing. Similar issues have come up in the NFL, with the Broncos’ quarterbacks and the Saints’ running backs, and the NFL forced the teams to play their games anyway.

The report says Ohio State could be without an entire position group because of COVID-19 testing and contact tracing. Similar issues have come up in the NFL, with the Broncos’ quarterbacks and the Saints’ running backs, and the NFL forced the teams to play their games anyway.
Still find it interesting that all of this "news" is coming from Alabama.  Nothing coming out of Columbus, other than scheduled practices and that the game will go on as scheduled.  We likely won't know if any players have tested positive until it's time to announce such information prior to the game.  Usually we would hear something out of Columbus, from someone, yet it's all quiet.  Yet the folks in AL are chirping about OSU daily.

Fields’ ribs and Waddle’s leg will be big stories over the next week.
Shannon B. Terry⁦‪@sbterry247‬⁩

From two highly credible sources this morning. Justin Fields is fine. Ribs are going to be a non factor.  1/6/21, 10:24 AM

Still find it interesting that all of this "news" is coming from Alabama.  Nothing coming out of Columbus, other than scheduled practices and that the game will go on as scheduled.  We likely won't know if any players have tested positive until it's time to announce such information prior to the game.  Usually we would hear something out of Columbus, from someone, yet it's all quiet.  Yet the folks in AL are chirping about OSU daily.
I dunno GB. :shrug:  Somehow this has made the national news. It seems rather odd. 
I hope nobody on either team has it. I’ve had it and it sucks. 

Despite being retained by Beamer at South Carolina and even hiring an OL coach, it seems Bobo (and said OL) is going to go take the OC job at Auburn. Personally, I never understood keeping him around despite the very strong rushing attack he had.

@andrewperloff: Dan says that he's heard from source that Tennessee football will face a serious investigation. He also said that Georgia could be next. "I was told Georgia got sloppy in recruiting." @dpshow

I don’t get the Urban Meyer shtick. This is a guy who got too stressed out going 11-1 every year and beating teams by 35 points at Florida and Ohio State so he’s going to go coach the [checks again] ... Jacksonville Jaguars? In the freaking NFL??  He can’t sad eat Papa John’s 13 times a year. 
Hint: He wasn't really stressed out.  He's a ####### ##### who doesn't like to face the music and just reap the rewards and not handle anything negative at all and uses stress as an excuse. 

Helluva college coach though (seriously)

too corporate an event. it's so expensive that regular people get priced out.

still on my bucket list, but i don't expect it to be an exciting fan experience.
Only way I'd ever go to the Super Bowl is if I got free tickets or I'd pay something reasonable to go if the Saints were playing.  

I passed up face value ($750) in 2011, b/c I wanted to be in the city to experience the celebration if we won.  Was the right decision.  My friends that went to the game (in Miami) said it was horrible after the game.  Game experience was good though.

Neutral site games aren't in and of themselves boring, Texas/OU and similar games where the crowd is 50/50 is still fun to attend.
LSU/Wisconsin in Lambeau was freaking awesome.  While not technically a true neutral site, it's all about the experience.  Two fan bases that love to eat and drink and don't hate each other....throw in a unique venue...was one of my favorite road trips ever...even though we lost.

LSU/Wisconsin in Lambeau was freaking awesome.  While not technically a true neutral site, it's all about the experience.  Two fan bases that love to eat and drink and don't hate each other....throw in a unique venue...was one of my favorite road trips ever...even though we lost.
i was literally 8 minutes away :(

Marcus Freeman to Notre Dame as DC. Chose ND last minute over LSU. Texas apparently in the conversation as well. Kelly needed a relentless recruiter so this looks like a great hire. 

Marcus Freeman to Notre Dame as DC. Chose ND last minute over LSU. Texas apparently in the conversation as well. Kelly needed a relentless recruiter so this looks like a great hire. 
Does Fickell not want to leave? How is he still there? 

Does anybody else loathe (at least online-loathe) a lot of people in their team's/alma mater's fanbase?  I swear, and this is something I'm sure @Capellawill agree with, Gator fans are the worst.  Or maybe every team's message board is like this:

- The pretty dang successful, if not somewhat annoying and stubborn, head coach has to go.

- Keyboard warriors, half of whom never even took a class at the school, ranting that players that opted out of the bowl game or leave early aren't real Gators.

-  The NFL sucks, is a horrible product, and has ruined college football.

-  The only reason 'Bama, OSU, Clemson, and UGA are consistently better is because they all cheat and we don't.

-  Our player that was accused of a crime is innocent, but rival schools are full of "thugs" that should never be allowed to suit up.

-  And my favorite, that administration has focused too much on raising the school's academic reputation (UF is up to the #6 public in 2020, for whatever that's worth)* and it's come at the expense of the football team.

The last one actually has dozens of posters agreeing that football should trump academics and that UF "just admits too many smart kids that don't care about football and ruin the gameday atmosphere."  The same people that believe the football team should only get 4- and 5-star recruits think that UF should dumb down admissions for regular students b/c too many smart kids go there now.

I've got the double-whammy of being an Eagles fan too, but at least most of them are somewhat knowledgeable and really funny - at least when they're not being drunken a-holes.  

Sorry to rant - just needed to get this off my chest.  It sucks to root for a team but think that half of the fanbase doesn't deserve to enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody else loathe (at least online-loathe) a lot of people in their team's/alma mater's fanbase?  I swear, and this something I'm sure @Capellawill agree with, Gator fans are the worst.  Or maybe every team's message board is like this:

- The pretty dang successful, if not somewhat annoying and stubborn, head coach has to go.

- Keyboard warriors, half of whom never even took a class at the school, ranting that players that opted out of the bowl game or leave early aren't real Gators.

-  The only reason 'Bama, OSU, Clemson, and UGA are consistently better is because they all cheat and we don't.

-  Our player that was accused of a crime is innocent, but rival schools are full of "thugs" that should never be allowed to suit up.

-  And my favorite, that administration has focused too much on raising the school's academic reputation (UF is up to the #6 public in 2020, for whatever that's worth)* and it's come at the expense of the football team.

The last one actually has dozens of posters agreeing that football should trump academics and that UF "just admits too many smart kids that don't care about football and ruin the gameday atmosphere."  The same people that believe the football team should only get 4- and 5-star recruits think that UF should dumb down admissions for regular students b/c too many smart kids go there now.

I've got the double-whammy of being an Eagles fan too, but at least most of them are somewhat knowledgeable and really funny - at least when they're not being drunken a-holes.  

Sorry to rant - just needed to get this off my chest.  It sucks to root for a team but think that half of the fanbase doesn't deserve to enjoy it.
of course, but that's what makes it fun

OSU 247 board says:

OUT:
Antwuan Jackson
Taron Vincent
Tyreke Smith

FALSE POSITIVE:
Tommy Togiai”

If accurate and it doesn’t worsen, its 3 players out and we should be playing on Mon.

scorchy said:
Does anybody else loathe (at least online-loathe) a lot of people in their team's/alma mater's fanbase?  I swear, and this something I'm sure @Capellawill agree with, Gator fans are the worst.  Or maybe every team's message board is like this:

I don’t know many reasonable college football fans in general but yea UF fans are rough. So are FSU fans though, to be sure. I don’t read much of Twitter or message boards anymore. Just follow journalists who cover the teams. 

My wife is a proud UF grad and I had a co-worker a few years ago who is a huge gator fan tell me he could have never married an FSU grad. I started laughing and said are you serious and he...was not laughing. I said what if you were in love and he said it would have never got to that point. I told him he wasn’t mentally well. Every single Facebook post of his is dismissing FSU somehow, they are really in his headspace. Totally bizarre to me. 

I don’t know many reasonable college football fans in general but yea UF fans are rough. So are FSU fans though, to be sure. I don’t read much of Twitter or message boards anymore. Just follow journalists who cover the teams. 

My wife is a proud UF grad and I had a co-worker a few years ago who is a huge gator fan tell me he could have never married an FSU grad. I started laughing and said are you serious and he...was not laughing. I said what if you were in love and he said it would have never got to that point. I told him he wasn’t mentally well. Every single Facebook post of his is dismissing FSU somehow, they are really in his headspace. Totally bizarre to me. 
I married someone who roots for duhOSU. But, she grew up in C-bus. 

Yeah, UGA is on a list of schools my son wants to visit because of their well-regarded Slavic Studies program (and because he's always heard me talk about how great Athens is).  A few of my IRL Gator friends roll their eyes a little, but there is one who said he would disown his daughter if she went to UGA or FSU - and he was dead serious.  Definitely needs help.

A couple of things I learned when I moved away from Florida (1) To the vast majority of folks in the northeast, there literally is no difference between most of the southern public schools and (2) pretty much no one cares that your college team won the national championship game the night before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capella said:
Does Fickell not want to leave? How is he still there? 
Some ND fans want Fickell for what it’s worth. At least after Kelly leaves if not sooner. I doubt Swarbrick is smart enough to set that stage, but this is a good move by Kelly either way even if there isn’t some ulterior motive here.  

scorchy said:

The people complaining that there's too many smart people kind of have a point.  College is the last place where you want to have smart people interested in learning about things.

Yeah, UGA is on a list of schools my son wants to visit because of their well-regarded Slavic Studies program (and because he's always heard me talk about how great Athens is).  A few of my IRL Gator friends roll their eyes a little, but there is one who said he would disown his daughter if she went to UGA or FSU - and he was dead serious.  Definitely needs help.

A couple of things I learned when I moved away from Florida (1) To the vast majority of folks in the northeast, there literally is no difference between most of the southern public schools and (2) pretty much no one cares that your college team won the national championship game the night before.
I always figure that SEC Shorts and Annie Agar's SEC videos pretty much sum up the attitude of southerners towards football.  I mean, we're serious about football here in PA, but the south?  That's a whole 'nuther level of crazy.

I always figure that SEC Shorts and Annie Agar's SEC videos pretty much sum up the attitude of southerners towards football.  I mean, we're serious about football here in PA, but the south?  That's a whole 'nuther level of crazy.
When I moved to Philly in 1997, I was distraught that there was virtually no college football talk on sports radio.  And whenever a host would discuss it, it would devolve into rants into the moral and intellectual superiority of the Big 10 (e.g., "Big 10 players are actually student athletes unlike those minor-league football factories down south" or "All those SEC schools cheat.  JoePa has more integrity in his little finger than in entire athletic departments.")  Probably explains why I still hate Penn State more than FSU or UGA.  😜

@Brett_McMurphy: Kirk Herbstreit just said Ohio State will be w/out a couple of huge contributors “when we’re allowed to talk about it.” He didn’t elaborate who the players were

@Brett_McMurphy: Kirk Herbstreit just said Ohio State will be w/out a couple of huge contributors “when we’re allowed to talk about it.” He didn’t elaborate who the players were
Ohio State board saying "there are rumors that there was another round of positive COVID tests at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, including a handful of starters on the defensive line".

Ohio State board saying "there are rumors that there was another round of positive COVID tests at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, including a handful of starters on the defensive line".
Would be a fitting end to a crap season if half the OSU defense can’t play.  I don’t want it for OSU and also hoping for a good game - would just go on the pile of crap that has been 2020-21.

Would be a fitting end to a crap season if half the OSU defense can’t play.  I don’t want it for OSU and also hoping for a good game - would just go on the pile of crap that has been 2020-21.
Yea, was hoping for a half decent game, but not even sure it is worth watching now. Half the starting D line out, and even some of their backups are out. Third string linemen playing against the best team in the CFB. Doesn't promise to stay entertaining for long.

Yea, was hoping for a half decent game, but not even sure it is worth watching now. Half the starting D line out, and even some of their backups are out. Third string linemen playing against the best team in the CFB. Doesn't promise to stay entertaining for long.
Depends on who you root for

For a guy with no dog in the fight, this game comes down to which team is the least unlikeable.

1. Alabama. Saban always treats sideline reporters like crap, runs away from the Gatorade bath, and just looks sour and angry all the time.

2. Ohio State. The most arrogant fan base in sports and the Big Ten changed a rule every week just so they could play in this game.

I’m rooting for a tie.

For a guy with no dog in the fight, this game comes down to which team is the least unlikeable.

1. Alabama. Saban always treats sideline reporters like crap, runs away from the Gatorade bath, and just looks sour and angry all the time.

2. Ohio State. The most arrogant fan base in sports and the Big Ten changed a rule every week just so they could play in this game.

I’m rooting for a tie.
You got saban all wrong.  Hes the man

Users who are viewing this thread