What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 12 Tuesday (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice said:
Opinions on pick schedule?

1 per day any time after noon Eastern/9 Pacific, as we did today

or

2 per day, 1 before and 1 after 3 Eastern/Noon Pacific, as we did last year.

1 per day gives more time to listen to and digest the picks but will we lose momentum with only 10 or so total picks per day? We could obviously start with one a day and change as needed.
I support the 1/day option.  I enjoy the opportunity to digest what's been offered and would likely overlook some songs if we went 2/day.  As you said, we can always change it up later if necessary.

J

I'm not really one to listen to singles very often.  I tend to digest my music by albums (not actual albums, mind  you, I'm completely digital).  Thus, many of my favorite songs of this year happen to come off the same dozen or so albums that have tickled my fancy.  If I were being absolutely genuine with you, my first half-dozen picks would likely all be Badflower songs, but I don't want to be THAT GUY, so I'm going to try to spread things out.  Those of you who have been participating in the "Best Albums of 2019" topic will probably recognize a number of my upcoming selections as many of these albums were culled from others suggestions in that thread. 

For my 2nd pick I'm going with a delightfully bad-### instrumental jam that never fails to get me bobbing and weaving.

2.xx - Almost Free by FIDLAR

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Northern Voice said:
Opinions on pick schedule?

1 per day any time after noon Eastern/9 Pacific, as we did today

or

2 per day, 1 before and 1 after 3 Eastern/Noon Pacific, as we did last year.

1 per day gives more time to listen to and digest the picks but will we lose momentum with only 10 or so total picks per day? We could obviously start with one a day and change as needed.
How many rounds are we talking?

I'm OK with the current pace.. currently

Fun little banger that I haven't even started getting sick of yet.  And an oddball quote from a band member that has stuck with me along with the song

2.jz Van Dale - Numbskull

When I was younger my family took a road trip to South Dakota. We saw Mount Rushmore. We visited Black Hills and Badlands. We toured the Corn Palace and Wall Drug. We even shot over into Wyoming to see Devil’s Tower. But the most vivid memory I have of that entire trip is some kid spitting pool water into my face at the Dakota Cowboy Inn. I didn’t know this kid at all. I’m not sure I even knew there was anyone else in the pool. He just emerged like a dang midwestern submarine, launched a mouthful of chlorine at my head and took off toward the other end of the pool. Truly dazed and confused, I left the pool and told my dad what happened. I don’t remember what he said, but I think we both knew life would never be the same. This song is definitely not about that trip and probably not about that kid, but I’ll remember him forever. Some people are like that. They just won’t leave.

loving the picks today- new and familiar.

thought I was going to go with any oldy/goody/garage-post-guitar thing here, but in the playlist I generated for this (super-scientific culling from my 2019 catch-all playlist involving algorithms, extensive research and randomly pulling out tunes that seemed familiar) - this song popped up just now... and it just felt right, right now.

I'm really hit or miss with the band- find them to be embarrassingly derivative and all over the map. but every now and then, they hit it right for me-  this one has the feel of bowie's let's dance era... and I guess I was in the mood for something light, nostalgic and happy.

2- little smart houses- sundara karma

nice! two in the 1st round... great album, great tune.
Aww, if is saw Marco's pick I would have went another way. Listening this morning. Y'all rock harder than I do these days. I think my kid has a ticket for me to see Fontaines in late September. I do love the album. I will feel so old at the show.

Aww, if is saw Marco's pick I would have went another way. Listening this morning. Y'all rock harder than I do these days. I think my kid has a ticket for me to see Fontaines in late September. I do love the album. I will feel so old at the show.
I saw them open for IDLES (my favorite) a few months ago. they were good, but I didn't enjoy the singer's pacing, stop & glare style of performing. I definitely felt old- especially when I got head-butted a split-second into Fontaine's first chords and subsequent crowd mosh-pit. but there were a bunch of other geezers there too.

except you. we still the same. got 2019 jazz ready? i do.
Yes I do, I aways wait on that since I am unlikely to get sniped. I don'talways love the real hard rock anymore myself. 

Also I first read your post without reading the one above it and it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about 

I saw them open for IDLES (my favorite) a few months ago. they were good, but I didn't enjoy the singer's pacing, stop & glare style of performing. I definitely felt old- especially when I got head-butted a split-second into Fontaine's first chords and subsequent crowd mosh-pit. but there were a bunch of other geezers there too.
Saw this lineup on the west coast too and we enjoyed it, but at the same time I'm in no rush to see either band again.  Fontaines blasted right thru it like the nervous kids they are and while the IDLES set felt more spontaneous, a little research showed they did all the same stuff in every city. 

Saw this lineup on the west coast too and we enjoyed it, but at the same time I'm in no rush to see either band again.  Fontaines blasted right thru it like the nervous kids they are and while the IDLES set felt more spontaneous, a little research showed they did all the same stuff in every city. 
yeah- the IDLES set is pretty consistent... just watched their Glastonbury set last night (joe gets really emotional, which was touching). even their riffing is a bit consistent. I still love watching their youtube live sets... but like you, I don't think I need to see them again- even though I genuinely love the band. also, I got the tinnitus something bad.

I could see fontaines growing into performing a bit more... but I also don't know that they'll have the songwriting legs that IDLES do to keep producing quality stuff past this first effort. 

I could see fontaines growing into performing a bit more... but I also don't know that they'll have the songwriting legs that IDLES do to keep producing quality stuff past this first effort. 
Reminded me of seeing Tame Impala early in their career.. you could sense the nerves but with the sound and the tunes you knew the sky was the limit.  These cats have obviously struck a chord..

As for me I'll try to take it easy on you ladies for the rest of the week   :shiny:

I was wondering when they were going off the board. There’s another song on there that I still might draft. 
P good album imo

My list is just going to be a bunch of popular stuff for the first half and then some wild picks on the back half.

'm really hit or miss with the band- find them to be embarrassingly derivative and all over the map. but every now and then, they hit it right for me-  this one has the feel of bowie's let's dance era... and I guess I was in the mood for something light, nostalgic and happy.

2- little smart houses- sundara karma
I had another song of theirs long listed.

never heard this.. unless you've posted them before and I've forgotten (high likelihood of probability). really like it.
Footsteps is a new song that came out last week.  It's a supergroup of sorts with members from Ultimate Painting, Beak> and Woods.

They released a four track EP earlier this year that's worth a listen although the 12 minute song is full of noodles.

Also not one song drafted is a disappointment. I have been familiar with less than half. Enjoying. Thanks for doing this. 

What exactly is a tropical #### storm? On this morning's shuffle, that one and the Modern Nature song stood out (I haven't made it through the full list yet). 

Oh and 'Scorpion Hill' is so incredibly good, of course. There's almost no chance I don't draft some PUP in here at some point even though that's one already been taken. 

I'm going to make @El Floppo's computer go bonkers. I think FONTAINES D.C. Dogrel is more complexly done than IDLES's Brutalism and that they're a better band than IDLES.

Ruh roh. 

Users who are viewing this thread