What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Free Agency (1 Viewer)

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Former Panthers’ G Andrew Norwell intends to sign with the Jaguars on a 5-year deal for $66.5 million, including $30M fully guaranteed, source tells ESPN. He is going to become NFL’s highest paid guard - $13.3 million average.

Jags weren't even linked to Norwell before this news, Coughlin really sticking it to the Giants there.

KC is busy:

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

The #Chiefs are now adding a big weapon on defense: They plan to sign former #Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens to a deal worth $9M per year, sources tell me and @TomPelissero.

5:14 AM - 13 Mar 2018

KC is busy:

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

The #Chiefs are now adding a big weapon on defense: They plan to sign former #Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens to a deal worth $9M per year, sources tell me and @TomPelissero.

5:14 AM - 13 Mar 2018
So much for their backs being against the wall for the cap.

So much for their backs being against the wall for the cap.
Yeah, they used the cap space from the Hali/Johnson/Parker cuts pretty quickly. They had 23MM in space prior to the Watkins and Hitchens deals, they can't have much left at this point.

To no one’s surprise, the Saints and quarterback Drew Brees have struck a deal to keep the 39-year-old future Hall of Famer in New Orleans. According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, the two sides have agreed to a two-year, $50 million deal with $27 million guaranteed.

Brees was eligible for unrestricted free agency Wednesday, but he has long said that he wanted to remain with the Saints and the team has expressed confidence that it would keep him. Brees has spent the past 12 seasons with the Saints and led the team to a Super Bowl title.

Brees remained productive last season, completing 72 percent of his passes and throwing for 4,334 yards and 23 touchdowns, even as the Saints used a more balanced offensive approach with an increased focus on a running game led by Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara. They won the NFC South and beat the Carolina Panthers in a first-round playoff game before losing in dramatic fashion at Minnesota in a conference semifinal.

I guess in theory they still have Paxton Lynch as a potential long term option behind Keenum - should Keenum show that last year was an aberation.
Would be interesting to know what they think of Lynch...to date he doesn't look like a long term answer but if they do hold out hope for him this move makes sense...I find it hard to believe Keenum would sign so quickly with Denver if they plan on using the #5 pick on a QB...that is not the spot he wants to be in...gotta believe that #5 pick just put up a for sale sign if they do think Keenum is a longer term answer (which I am skeptical about)...this is an interesting move because if they don't use their #1 on a QB or really like one of those second tier QBs I don't see this getting Denver close to a championship anytime soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Former Giants’ C-G Weston Richburg intends to sign a 5-year deal with the SF 49ers when free agency opens, per source.

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23

Falcons one of the teams that have already expressed a ``strong'' interest in veteran tight end Ed Dickson, source tells me. Dickson (6-4, 255) averaged a career-best 14.6 yards per catch last season for Carolina and started 12 games with Greg Olsen... https://t.co/4sHU4U69Rj

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Redskins signed K Dustin Hopkins to a 3-year deal worth $6.875M. He gets a $1,201,072 signing bonus, source said,

Man, I'm a pretty ambivalent Chiefs fan at this point thanks to all the disappointment over the years, but it's hard to not be excited at the pieces on this offense.

Mahomes throwing to Hill, Kelce, Watkins with Hunt in the backfield? Niiiiiiiice. It looks like they're going "Greatest Show on Grass" instead of fixing that awful D. In this day and age, whatever, I'll take it. Tired of playoff performances where they don't score a single point in the 2nd half. 

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago

The #Vikings are in the driver’s seat for free agent QB Kirk Cousins. They offered him a 3-year, $28M per year deal. It is not over. But if the visit goes well, he is likely to sign there.

Saints Tender WR Willie Snead

Teams can still offer deals, but New Orleans has the right of first refusal, which allows the Saints to match a proposal.

Tender for Saints’ WR Willie Snead will be the right of first refusal only, per source, and there will be a market for him. No draft pick compensation to sign Snead.

Jeff Zrebiec @jeffzrebiecsun

The Ravens are picking up CB Brandon Carr's option, per source. So he'll be back. Team didn't want to leave itself thin at cornerback

Former Lions’ DT Haloti Ngata intends to sign a one-year deal with Eagles, per @mortreport and me.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago

The #Vikings are in the driver’s seat for free agent QB Kirk Cousins. They offered him a 3-year, $28M per year deal. It is not over. But if the visit goes well, he is likely to sign there.
Considering what Garappolo got for a much more limited body of work, that's a bargain for the Vikes if true.

Considering what Garappolo got for a much more limited body of work, that's a bargain for the Vikes if true.
You don't pay for body of work, you pay for potential. Body of work is what they got paid previously. I'd much rather pay Garro huge money than Cousins personally. I've seen what Cousins can do and I'm not a fan. 

You don't pay for body of work, you pay for potential. Body of work is what they got paid previously. I'd much rather pay Garro huge money than Cousins personally. I've seen what Cousins can do and I'm not a fan. 
Also depends on guarantee's, lots of reports the last few days that teams were willing to fully guarantee Cousins all 3 years, which is crazy IMO.

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 5m5 minutes ago

Former Eagles TE (and sometimes trick-play QB) Trey Burton is expected to sign with the Bears, source says.

Ugh, and another 2nd year TE (Shaheen) gets torpedo'ed.

Also depends on guarantee's, lots of reports the last few days that teams were willing to fully guarantee Cousins all 3 years, which is crazy IMO.
I'm not a huge Cousins fan, but why is a 3 year guarantee that crazy? He's going to turn 30 right before the season starts. He's been a starter for 3 years. I would not expect a drop off in play from ages 30-32. If you've seen his film and you are comfortable with that, then why not guarantee 3 years? It seems a lot crazier to guarantee Garoppolo $74M than to guarantee Cousins $84M. I mean, I genuinely won't be surprised if JG is the better QB, but he's a much riskier proposition. 

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 5m5 minutes ago

Former Eagles TE (and sometimes trick-play QB) Trey Burton is expected to sign with the Bears, source says.

Ugh, and another 2nd year TE (Shaheen) gets torpedo'ed.
Damn. That's bad news for Burton and Shaheen owners. I was thinking Burton could've been an interesting play in 2018. I'll pass now.

I'm not a huge Cousins fan, but why is a 3 year guarantee that crazy? He's going to turn 30 right before the season starts. He's been a starter for 3 years. I would not expect a drop off in play from ages 30-32. If you've seen his film and you are comfortable with that, then why not guarantee 3 years? It seems a lot crazier to guarantee Garoppolo $74M than to guarantee Cousins $84M. I mean, I genuinely won't be surprised if JG is the better QB, but he's a much riskier proposition. 
A fully guaranteed contract in the NFL would be very foolish, it won't result in the NFL turning into Baseball, but it sets a very bad precedent. I'm one of the few people that supported your stance in the JG trade but at least SF has money to burn, Vikings have some nice space, but also have some key pieces they need to resign in the next few years.

Also, Cousins sucks. :P

Damn. That's bad news for Burton and Shaheen owners. I was thinking Burton could've been an interesting play in 2018. I'll pass now.
Why is it bad new for Burton?  Shaheen has potential but he also only caught 12 passes on 14 targets last year (with 5 targets being in week 17)...the kid definitely has some nice upside but he is still more project than definite...Burton has a great opportunity right now...I would be far more concerned by a lot of other situations he could have landed in... 

Agreed, I was hoping Burton landed somewhere like NO. Think it hurts Shaheen more than Burton though. Bears now have added ARob & Burton, getting some much improved weapons around Trubisky.

Peter Schrager @PSchrags

LB Devon Kennard signing with Lions. Versatile OLB is the right fit in Matt Patricia's defense. @gmfb @nflnetwork @NFL

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 45s45 seconds ago

Kirk Cousins plans to sign a three-year, fully-guaranteed contract from the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday, sources tell ESPN.

A fully guaranteed contract in the NFL would be very foolish, it won't result in the NFL turning into Baseball, but it sets a very bad precedent. I'm one of the few people that supported your stance in the JG trade but at least SF has money to burn, Vikings have some nice space, but also have some key pieces they need to resign in the next few years.

Also, Cousins sucks. :P
Yeah, it's a bad precedent, but given his age and durability I won't fault a team for guaranteeing 3 years. And I wouldn't go so far as to say Cousins sucks, but he's at best a middle of the road QB. I wouldn't want my team to break the bank for him. I'm mainly just talking about the contract so I'm kind of throwing my own feelings about Cousins out. Just saying if a team is a believer, his age, durability, and experience make him one of the safer players to guarantee 3 years to.

They aren’t paying Burton $32 mil to sit the bench or inline block.
They didn't drop an early 2nd on Shaheen to sit on the bench or inline block, either. There's going to be a split. Plus, how many points through the air is Trubisky going to provide? AR15 should be getting a lot of targets.

Why is it bad new for Burton?  Shaheen has potential but he also only caught 12 passes on 14 targets last year (with 5 targets being in week 17)...the kid definitely has some nice upside but he is still more project than definite...Burton has a great opportunity right now...I would be far more concerned by a lot of other situations he could have landed in... 
Well, it's free agency. The hope was certainly for him to go somewhere without competition. I don't own him anywhere, but I do consider Shaheen to have a lot of potential. If I owned Burton (I don't), I would not want Shaheen as competition. I'd have preferred he signed somewhere like NO, SEA, or DET (assuming Ebron traded). 

Agreed, I was hoping Burton landed somewhere like NO. Think it hurts Shaheen more than Burton though. Bears now have added ARob & Burton, getting some much improved weapons around Trubisky.
Yeah, the financial commitment indicates Burton will be getting a larger piece of the pie initially, so Shaheen is hurt the most, but I don't think the pie will be all that large to begin with and Shaheen will still be getting a piece. So IMO it hurts them both enough that I no longer really want either one. 

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Former Bears’ LB Christian Jones plans to sign a two-year deal with the Lions, per source.

11:12 AM · Mar 13, 2018

Dianna Russini @diannaESPN

Reached out to sources with the Jets, told if they don't get Cousins, then they will turn their attention to Teddy Bridgewater.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Former Bears’ LB Christian Jones plans to sign a two-year deal with the Lions, per source.

11:12 AM · Mar 13, 2018
that's a nice pick up. he's a hustle player on defense that is pretty versatile.

Kevin Patra @kpatra

.@RapSheet says on @nflnetwork that Mike Glennon will be on the Arizona Cardinals' radar when he’s officially released by the Bears tomorrow.

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

Redskins are expected to sign WR Paul Richardson to a five-year, $40 million deal with $20 million in guarantees, sources say.

12:10 PM · Mar 13, 2018

Users who are viewing this thread