What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Summer Football Tournament- Tournament cancelled, everyone go home (1 Viewer)

I have tickets to NYC games including the Finals though I have no idea how many I'll actually use.   Hoping to take my son to the hotly contested Ecuador-Haiti match and would love to take him to the QF match if Brazil makes it and Willian plays, but that start time is problematic especially since we leave for a vacation the next morning.  I'm then probably going to come back from said vacation on the day of the Finals. 

Net-net, if anyone is looking for tickets to the QF or Finals let me know.  Grrr. 

Two giants released their provisional rosters:

Spain --> https://twitter.com/SeFutbol/status/732513960197521408

Germany --> http://www.dfb.de/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_103225-Kaderbekanntgabe_Vorlage_1360_765_vorlaeufig_171be14479.jpg

Any surprises? I don't follow closely enough to know, but note that Spain called Saul, but did not include Diego Costa, Juan Mata or Santi Cazorla.

The criticism I've seen from Deutschland is mostly focused on Rudy, but the Germans have an irrational hatred of Hoffenheim imo.

I think the England team looks strong.  IN the WC, they didn't have an in-form Vardy and Harry Kane.  In my eyes, Vardy, Kane and Sturridge are three really good strikers that should allow  England to score some goals.  Rashford and Rooney don't have any business on the field in meaningful games. 

I think England could make a run to the semis.  

Germany --> http://www.dfb.de/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_103225-Kaderbekanntgabe_Vorlage_1360_765_vorlaeufig_171be14479.jpg

Any surprises? I don't follow closely enough to know, but note that Spain called Saul, but did not include Diego Costa, Juan Mata or Santi Cazorla.

The criticism I've seen from Deutschland is mostly focused on Rudy, but the Germans have an irrational hatred of Hoffenheim imo.
JFC, those German mids 

Said in the other thread that I'm a bit surprised that Spain left Paco Alcacer (who led them in scoring in qualifying) out.  I'm not surprised they've moved on from Costa and we know Spain is swimming in great midfielders. 

The winners are announced later today :popcorn:  

Expect to Sanchez called up and hope Bernardo Silva stays in

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally missed this thread until some one mentioned it in the main soccer thread.  Nice work!

If anyone sees or is interested in fantasy games for one or both tournaments, please post here.

I think the England team looks strong.  IN the WC, they didn't have an in-form Vardy and Harry Kane.  In my eyes, Vardy, Kane and Sturridge are three really good strikers that should allow  England to score some goals.  Rashford and Rooney don't have any business on the field in meaningful games. 

I think England could make a run to the semis.  
They do look strong but they tend to under perform at the international level given their talent and resources when not hosting.

England has qualified for 19* Euro's and WC that they did not host.   In those 19 tournaments, they made the semi finals just once, finishing 4th in WC 1990.

*I am ignoring Euro 68 as only 4 teams took part.

Enough footy talk, let's get down to the important stuff - alcohol!  With apologies to Scooby who is better at this than me, I'm going to start with where I left off with WC2014.  I will do better this time and promise to have recipes for all countries.

Euro Cup Drinking

Group A
 Albania - TBD
 France - Champagne
 Romania - 
 Switzerland

Group B
 England - Pimms Cup (Pimms)
 Russia - TBD (Vodka)
 Slovakia - TBD
 Wales - TBD

Group C
 Germany - Scooby had a drink in 2014 but I'm having trouble searching in the archived thread
 Northern Ireland - TBD
 Poland - TBD
 Ukraine - TBD

Group D
 Croatia - TBD
 Czech Republic - TBD
 Spain - Sangria
 Turkey - TBD

Group E
 Belgium - Black Russian
 Italy - Bellini (Sparking Wine; Peach Schnapps)
 Republic of Ireland - TBD
 Sweden - TBD

Group F
 Austria - TBD
 Hungary - TBD
 Iceland - TBD
 Portugal - TBD

COPA America Drinking

GROUP A
 USA - Manhattan
 COLOMBIA - Aquardiente Sour (Aquardiente)
 COSTA RICA - TBD
 PARAGUAY - TBD

GROUP B
 BRAZIL - Caipirinha (Cachaca)
 ECUADOR - Aquardiente and Orange Juice (Aquardiente)
 HAITI - TBD
 PERU - TBD

GROUP C
 MEXICO - Paloma (Tequila)
 URUGUAY - TBD (looking at Clerico – white wine Sangria)
 JAMAICA - TBD
 VENEZUELA - TBD

GROUP D
 ARGENTINA - Fernet and Cola (Fernet)
 CHILE - Pisco Sour (Pisco)
 PANAMA - TBD
 BOLIVIA - TBD

Here were my unofficial (and incomplete) rankings - I need to look harder because I think I had more drinks/rankings but the search sucks.

Here are my rankings through the first 11 games:

1. Caipirinha (Brazil) – fantastic, always a favorite
  2. Bellini (Italy) – I love peaches so this gets a higher ranking than it probably deserves
  3. Paloma (Mexico) – very refreshing, liked it better than I expected as I’m not a huge citrus person but I like Margaritas (read Tequila) so this was good
  4. Pisco Sour (Chile) – enjoyed this one
  5. Pimms (England) – with a low ABV this was very drinkable for those who are not heavy drinkers – it was
  6. Champagne (France) – bought cheap stuff
  7. Sangria (Spain) – I’m not a big wine drinker so take that for what it’s worth; I’ve had good Sangria (supposedly) and I’d still rank it middle of the pack I think
  8. Sake (Japan) – Sake has little taste to me so this basically is the delineation of stuff I like and would drink again (many times even)
  9. Fernet and Cola (Argentina) – I couldn’t decide if I liked this or not; decided it was too mint/medicinal tasting for me to drink it often
  10. Greek Tiger/Greek Doctor (Greece) – this wasn’t bad, Ouza is anise-based and that’s not my thing – I don’t like licorice and anise has a similar taste
  11. Aquardiente and Orange Juice (Ecuador) – the Aquardiente I bought was Cristal Aquardiente from Colombia – it is anised-based also so rinse and repeat from above
  12. Aquardiente Sour (Colombia) – ditto the last two

Euro Cup Drinking

Group A
 Albania - TBD
 France - Champagne
 Romania - 
 Switzerland

Group B
 England - Pimms Cup (Pimms)
 Russia - TBD (Vodka)
 Slovakia - TBD
 Wales - TBD

Group C
 Germany - Scooby had a drink in 2014 but I'm having trouble searching in the archived thread
 Northern Ireland - TBD
 Poland - TBD
 Ukraine - TBD

Group D
 Croatia - TBD
 Czech Republic - TBD
 Spain - Sangria
 Turkey - TBD

Group E
 Belgium - Black Russian
 Italy - Bellini (Sparking Wine; Peach Schnapps)
 Republic of Ireland - TBD
 Sweden - TBD

Group F
 Austria - TBD
 Hungary - TBD
 Iceland - TBD
 Portugal - PONCHA

Mexico's Copa squad.  Giovani Dos Santos declines a spot on the team

http://www.espnfc.com/mexico/story/2875106/giovani-dos-santos-declines-spot-on-mexico-squad-for-copa-america

Goalkeepers: Guillermo Ochoa (Malaga), Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca)

Defenders: Paul Aguilar (Club America), Miguel Layun (Porto), Rafael Marquez (Atlas), Diego Reyes (Real Sociedad), Nestor Araujo (Santos Laguna), Hector Moreno (PSV), Yasser Corona (Queretaro), Jorge Torres Nilo (Tigres)

Midfielders: Jesus Manuel Corona (Porto), Hector Herrera (Porto), Jesus Molina (Santos Laguna), Hirving Lozano (Pachuca), Andres Guardado (PSV), Carlos Pena (Chivas), Candido Ramirez (Monterrey), Javier Aquino (Tigres), Jesus Duenas (Tigres)

Forwards: Javier Hernandez (Bayer Leverkeusen), Raul Jimenez (Benfica), Oribe Peralta (Club America)

If we're not don't cocktails then USA should be America

#### Budweiser. Not even an American company. I had a list for the World Cup too. Been keeping up with the USA ones. We do shots of bourbon for every USA goal. Been going with Maker's Mark lately. 

I don't like the Fernet and cola mix either, so I switched that to just Fernet shots for Argentina. 

Jameson or Guinness for Ireland. 

I like Negronis for Italy. Probably my favorite drink all together at the moment. 

I've run in to a lot of Polish Meads lately.

Lambic when possible for Belgium. The real stuff. Not that sweetened crap. Definitely beer though.

Austria needs Stroh 80. The 80 isn't the proof. It's the abv. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh Be ####### careful with it. Or be an idiot like me summer of 2006 when we were mixing it with 5hr energies and doing shots. And using it for strikeouts. 

Croatia is probably last in term drinks.  Rajika is literally liquid fire and the cause and cure of many ailments:

Uses for rakija

While we are talking rakija, what else can this magic liquor do? Lots, let me list just a few:

• Rub on mosquito bites. Itch be gone!
  • Drink to help a sore throat
  • Rub on your forehead to cure a headache
  • Lightly soak a cloth with rakija, and place the cloth over your (insert any type of pain here) & fevers
  • Use rakija to wounds that need disinfecting
  • Removes limescale from tap ware and glasses
  • Drink to help relieve a toothache
  • Also many believe it to help depression, anxiety and even menstrual cramps.
Warning: This drink is lethal. No seriously, it’s so potent, I recommend only using rakija under the guidance of a fully fledged Croatian, such as your Baba or Dido (Grandma & Grandpa). No expats such as myself should administer it. Stay safe people.

Bolivian cocktail is a Shoofly. Singani and sprite with healthy squeezes of fresh lemon and lime. Singani is basically the Bolivian version of the booze every wine country starts to make with leftover grape stuff. Grappa, Pisco, etc... 

Final 23 man roster for Mexico for the Copa

Goalkeepers: Guillermo Ochoa (Malaga), Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca)

Defenders: Paul Aguilar (Club America), Miguel Layun (Porto), Rafa Marquez (Atlas), Diego Reyes (Real Sociedad), Nestor Araujo (Santos Laguna), Hector Moreno (PSV), Yasser Corona (Queretaro), Jorge Torres Nilo (Tigres), Jesus Molina (Santos Laguna)

Midfielders: Jesus Manuel Corona (Porto), Hector Herrera (Porto), Hirving Lozano (Pachuca), Andres Guardado (PSV), Carlos Pena (Chivas), Jurgen Damm (Tigres), Javier Aquino (Tigres), Jesus Duenas (Tigres)

Forwards: Javier Hernandez (Bayer Leverkeusen), Raul Jimenez (Benfica), Oribe Peralta (Club America)

The Gator said:
Hungary and Ivory Coast kick off the EURO friendlies today.
I realize it took expansion to do it but it's nice to see the Magyars in the finals of a major tournament for the first time since Mexico '86.  I don't expect much although beating Norway in both legs of the playoff was a good result. 

Their roster is mostly unfamiliar to me with a lot of double acute accented a's.  Captain Balazs Dzsudzsak has played in Holland, Russia and Turkey.  Starting goalkeeper Gabor Kiraly was on the roster of the 86 WC team and is still the likely #1 at age 40.  Zoltan Gera was a rotation player for Fulham during the latter part of their EPL stay.  One-time Liverpool prospect Krisztián Németh had a stint at Sporting KC.  

They've been drawn in group F along with Portugal, Iceland and Austria so advancing to the knockouts isn't an impossibility.  They're +24900 to win it all with only Albania and Northern Ireland as longer shots.

ETA: Kiraly couldn't have possibly been on the WC 86 roster at the age of 10. He earned his first cap in 1998. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolivian cocktail is a Shoofly. Singani and sprite with healthy squeezes of fresh lemon and lime. Singani is basically the Bolivian version of the booze every wine country starts to make with leftover grape stuff. Grappa, Pisco, etc... 
Any Marching Powder added?

I'm going to try to balance family, work, and soccer, which probably means one game per night.  I hope there will be recap shows I can get to easily.

Looking at the schedule, I'm starting to put together an itinerary:

• Fri 3: 21:30 USA-COL
  • Sat 4: 22:00 BRA-ECU
  • Sun 5: 20:00 MEX-URU
  • Mon 6: 22:00 ARG-CHI
  • Tue 7: 20:00 USA-CRC
  • Wed 8: 22:00 ECU-PER
  • Thu 9: 19:30 URU-VEN
  • Fri 10: 21:30 ARG-PAN
  • Sat 11: 15:00: ENG-RUS, 19:00 USA-PAR (cheating here)
  • Sun 12: 15:00 GER-UKR
  • Mon 13: BEL-ITA*
  • Tue 14: 20:00 CHI-PAN
  • Wed 15: ROU-SUI*
  • Thu 16: 21:30 Copa QF
  • Fri 17: 20:00 Copa QF
  • Sat 18: 15:00 POR-AUT, see if I can sneak in a second game for a Copa QF
  • (19-24: Traveling and a couple of dead days, probably no soccer)
  • Sat 25: Matchup-dependent - Euro knockouts and Copa Consolation
  • Sun 26: 20:00 Copa final
  • Mon 27: Matchup dependent Euro knockouts*
  • (28-29 dead)
  • Thu 30: Euro QF*
  • Fri July 1: Euro QF*
  • Sat 2: 15:00 Euro QF
  • Sun 3: 15:00 Euro QF
  • (4-5 dead)
  • Wed 6: Euro SF*
  • Thu 7: Euro SF*
  • (8-9 dead)
  • Sun 10: 15:00 Euro final
* I assume that if I have Sling or Vue, I will have access to Watch ESPN, and they'll have replays available in the evening.  I can avoid hearing scores during the day.

Ditto, I am hazy on Italian nationals. I'll just ask the same question some other people did in response to the tweet -- who got left out?
That team looks short on offensive talent and the way Giovinco has been playing it seems like an odd exclusion especially when he was a part of the qualifying teams just last year.

Balotelli is obviously a VERY loose cannon but the guy does seem to rise to the occasion in these type of short form tournaments so I thought they might take a flyer on him as well.

That team looks short on offensive talent and the way Giovinco has been playing it seems like an odd exclusion especially when he was a part of the qualifying teams just last year.

Balotelli is obviously a VERY loose cannon but the guy does seem to rise to the occasion in these type of short form tournaments so I thought they might take a flyer on him as well.
Wahl said he had a big falling out with Conte at Juventus which explains some things.  In the same tweet, he said that Yedlin wants to move permanently to Sunderland. 

Users who are viewing this thread