What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 STOCK CONTEST (2 Viewers)

Oclaro (OCLR) - Makes equipment for optical networks, so can benefit from growth in streaming, cloud computing, data centers

S&P- 2288

Happy new year!

Andrew74 said:
Yep prices are set and you are good on Gazprom.

Today is the last day for entries.  Let's go everybody.
Cutoff should be the morning of the 3rd.  Market is off on the 2nd, so trading for the new year will commence the 3rd.

What was the reason for the price change? Leaves alot of microcap speculative plays off the contest.

S&P 1790 - 20% drop

Since no reply about the change, NBIX.

Prob a better trading stock than all year keeper, will range up to high 40's.

What was the reason for the price change? Leaves alot of microcap speculative plays off the contest.

S&P 1790 - 20% drop
There was some talk of eliminating the penny stocks a year or two ago, so it's not who can get the best dice roll.  So I thought we'd give it a shot. 

Tomorrow's the last day.  Get those picks in!

No penny stocks. but everyone picking a biotech.  Not so different of a dice roll.

PFE.

Big player that could benefit from multiple tax scenarios.

There was some talk of eliminating the penny stocks a year or two ago, so it's not who can get the best dice roll.  So I thought we'd give it a shot. 

Tomorrow's the last day.  Get those picks in!

No penny stocks. but everyone picking a biotech.  Not so different of a dice roll.

PFE.

Big player that could benefit from multiple tax scenarios.
Guess I understand the premise. Just seems in the grand scheme, if asked to enter a contest, people will put their most speculative stock (Likely Bio, Tech or Energy) in here with the hopes it doubles or triples. It is nice to see what some people do throw out and their sentiment. Good Luck everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been looking at TEVA and really like it. Looking for some advice:

If I was going to put say 10K into this stock and hold it long term, would you just buy it first thing tomorrow? Or does the market typically dip at the start of the year so wait a couple days, or is it mostly a guessing game?

I'll take Noble Corporation (Ticker: NE).  Might not have the upside of some of the biotechs but closing thing to a $5 lottery ticket in energy.  Offshore drillers have gotten crushed and don't think its necessarily over.  Might start to see the rebound in the back-half of the year especially if the forward curve creeps up at all.  Decently shorted but probably won't get a giant short squeeze. Recent tender offer should alleviate some RX concerns.  

ETA: S&P 2340

Jed said:
So I've been looking at TEVA and really like it. Looking for some advice:

If I was going to put say 10K into this stock and hold it long term, would you just buy it first thing tomorrow? Or does the market typically dip at the start of the year so wait a couple days, or is it mostly a guessing game?
The last bit.   :D   But the S&P 500 hasn't opened the year up since 2013.

Please check  your entries.  I think I got everything right.  Good luck everyone.

ragincajun said:
Crap to late to join up?

SIRI Sirus XM

S&P 2625
Stock has to be above $5 (new twist this year).  If you can get me something ASAP, I'll plug it in.

My pick, ADPT, is up 11% already on day one. Is there anywhere I can go and see myself in the lead of this august competition, even if it just for today?

pecorino said:
My pick, ADPT, is up 11% already on day one. Is there anywhere I can go and see myself in the lead of this august competition, even if it just for today?
There is a link to a real time pricing spreadsheet in the original post where you can see how you are doing.

Maybe I should have let you have TEVA.  Woof.

At least I can look down on jamny.
I bought a little TEVA.  Honestly not so worried about it - generics should do well going forward.  

Right now, though, yeah, woof.

I've been wandering between black and red, but I'm not hurting the FBG total return too badly right now.  :oldunsure:

Train is about to leave the station on VRX.  If the FDA will ever get off their butt, they will launch the best psoriasis drug on the planet later this month.  Earnings FEB 28th.  Good chance this doubles up or down by the end of March. 

Train is about to leave the station on VRX.  If the FDA will ever get off their butt, they will launch the best psoriasis drug on the planet later this month.  Earnings FEB 28th.  Good chance this doubles up or down by the end of March. 
Do you feel all the bad stuff that happened last year is behind them now? Do you feel like earnings are going to be good?

Putin's oil company no match for my prowess at picking stocks that go down. :boxing: :bowtie:

-QG

Do you feel all the bad stuff that happened last year is behind them now? Do you feel like earnings are going to be good?
Well 4Q earnings really aren't going to matter that much, but 2017 guidance will be huge.  I'm not sure how concerned people are about the debt that actually know the stock well, but many people (and rightfully so) are concerned with the growth rate.  This thing has been tying to stop the bleeding for a while now.  They've kitchen sinked a couple of quarters.  They've missed so bad the last few times and lowered guidance so much this one truly would be disappointing to miss here, so I'm thinking a beat.  Pearson and the previous regime basically had stocked inventory in warehouses and already claimed it as "revenue".  But a lot of that seems to have gone.  Salix is really picking up and B&L is truly a great company.  Joseph Papa has sounded very confident (much different than a few months ago) over the last month.  He mentioned stock price today for the first time ever. Earnings are Feb 28th, and this is almost guaranteed to move +\- 20% or more that day.  

Well 4Q earnings really aren't going to matter that much, but 2017 guidance will be huge.  I'm not sure how concerned people are about the debt that actually know the stock well, but many people (and rightfully so) are concerned with the growth rate.  This thing has been tying to stop the bleeding for a while now.  They've kitchen sinked a couple of quarters.  They've missed so bad the last few times and lowered guidance so much this one truly would be disappointing to miss here, so I'm thinking a beat.  Pearson and the previous regime basically had stocked inventory in warehouses and already claimed it as "revenue".  But a lot of that seems to have gone.  Salix is really picking up and B&L is truly a great company.  Joseph Papa has sounded very confident (much different than a few months ago) over the last month.  He mentioned stock price today for the first time ever. Earnings are Feb 28th, and this is almost guaranteed to move +\- 20% or more that day.  
I bought 500 shares yesterday because you say your in the industry and sound like you know what you're talking about. Don't let me down man!

I bought 500 shares yesterday because you say your in the industry and sound like you know what you're talking about. Don't let me down man!
I don't work for a medical provider, but I consider myself informed and researched as this is currently become the only sector I am invested in for all accounts.  I feel it is that highly undervalued.  If you can stomach this for a few months, you should be rewarded handsomely for it in the future.  

GBT continues to go higher and higher. Feels good to be so far ahead. 

Don't care that it's only March. Could be a different story next month after they report earnings.

Wow Pecorino just blew me out of the water for Em Award!

-QG
Before the end of the first quarter, I have led this entire competition and then, more recently, not so much. Is being down 60% in one day bad? BTW, I do not literally own ADPT. Very glad I wussed out.

pecorino said:
Before the end of the first quarter, I have led this entire competition and then, more recently, not so much. Is being down 60% in one day bad? BTW, I do not literally own ADPT. Very glad I wussed out.
seems like a stock not for the faint of heart :)

-QG

As we close out Q1, it looks like TMWNN has separated himself from the pack. My pick (KPTI) is up 36% which looks to be good for Top 10 but we are all going to need GBT to tank I think.

Very pleasantly surprised to be in 10th place with a holding company for strip clubs and breastaurants. Shoulda bought the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread