What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Rookie RB Rankings (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
1.) Ezekiel Elliot, 6 ft, 225 lbs

Consensus #1 back.  Not much to say here.  He's got the talent, he'll get the opportunity.  He'll be the first back off the board.

It's a deep class and I'm sure somebody in your league likes Elliot more than you do.  Draft and trade, imo.

Benefited from excellent blocking but shows he has the tools to be a 3 down back.  Might be a learning curve because his blocking won't be as good as it was in college.

The other guys:

Devantae Booker-

We're all allowed to blindly hate a player.  I hated Carlos Hyde and feel a little justified (watch him have a big year).  Something about the way he runs just doesn't wow me.

Daniel Lasco-

Comes off extremely vanilla to me.  I can't see any team going over and above to give this guy carries.  If my feature back got hurt, I would love to give this guy carries ala Peyton Hillis.

Josh Ferguson-

Fun gadget type shifty player.  Furthest thing from a true 3 down back.  Love him as a 3rd down draw play guy.

Kenyan Drake-

Big fan of his physical size and pure athleticism.  His running style reminds me of Lamar Miller / Lamichael James.  Don't think any team is going to draft him for anything more than depth.

Want to get more excited about this guy but can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missing (just in a general sense);

Lasco, Drake, Howard, Jonathan Williams, Aaron Green, Ferguson 

Only because no RB should be draft in the 1st round.
I bet teams would like to draft Gurley or David Johnson in the 1st round. EE is not a special athlete and even though he has a 3 down skill set he's not going to overwhelm anybody. Meh

I bet teams would like to draft Gurley or David Johnson in the 1st round. EE is not a special athlete and even though he has a 3 down skill set he's not going to overwhelm anybody. Meh
Why draft Gurley in the 1st round when you can get David Johnson in the 3rd? 

Why draft Gurley in the 1st round when you can get David Johnson in the 3rd? 
Why draft Manning #1 when you can get Brady 5-6 rounds later? I mean we can do this all day. The point I was making is EE is not a 1st round RB talent. DJ and Gurley both are.

Why draft Manning #1 when you can get Brady 5-6 rounds later? I mean we can do this all day. The point I was making is EE is not a 1st round RB talent. DJ and Gurley both are.
Every year there is a handful of backs who blow up that aren't in picked in the 1st round, how often does that happen with QBs?  Completely different levels of scarcity. 

What precludes Zeke from being a 1st round talent in your opinion?

I know what you're saying but I think you're waving him off a bit too much. Think about him more like Emmitt Smith than AP. I don't really mean in terms of direct play styles but just in terms of what comes to your mind when you think of these backs. 

He's THE offense but he's a key part of a great offense. 

Every year there is a handful of backs who blow up that aren't in picked in the 1st round, how often does that happen with QBs?  Completely different levels of scarcity. 

What precludes Zeke from being a 1st round talent in your opinion?
I agree less RB should be picked in the 1st round but foundation backs like DJ and Gurley are perfectly fine RB talents to draft in the first round. EE didn't look great in the passing drills and he's not all that explosive. He's a solid back but he's exactly the type of back you are talking about. They are a dime a dozen. DJ level backs don't come around as much....HUGE, jump out of the gym, elite hands, great routes........

I agree less RB should be picked in the 1st round but foundation backs like DJ and Gurley are perfectly fine RB talents to draft in the first round. EE didn't look great in the passing drills and he's not all that explosive. He's a solid back but he's exactly the type of back you are talking about. They are a dime a dozen. DJ level backs don't come around as much....HUGE, jump out of the gym, elite hands, great routes........
DJ is 1 inch taller but the same weight (225lbs), they have same arm length, Zeke has bigger hands and ran a faster 40, identical 10 yard short.  DJ bested him in broad and vertical, and I'd bet EE will best him in the agility drills (short shuttle and 3 cone)

I'd say that's about a draw from a measurable's standpoint, but when you factor in Zeke is 3 years younger as a rookie and that he played against the best competition and dominated I don't think they are very close as prospects.   

Have you ever actually WATCHED an Ohio State game?

I also want to add Keith Marshall to the list.. 
You're right, he was the first guy on my list.  I watched every from lowest to highest combine time.

Anytime you get a guy that fast with respectable running back moves, you've got to get him on your team.

Putting him just below Kelvin Taylor.  Marshall be looking like Jamaal Charles.

You're right, he was the first guy on my list.  I watched every from lowest to highest combine time.

Anytime you get a guy that fast with respectable running back moves, you've got to get him on your team.

Putting him just below Kelvin Taylor.  Marshall be looking like Jamaal Charles.
I think landing spot will be huge with him.. If he ends up on a team with a good to great QB I could see myself using a 1st on him.

I think landing spot will be huge with him.. If he ends up on a team with a good to great QB I could see myself using a 1st on him.
Patriots would be amazing.  Doesn't seem Belichek's style though.  You know Andy Reid and Bruce Arians are all over this guy.

Green Bay?

Great. Another season where someone picks an elite guy to be contrarian about so they can beat the drum for two months in the hope they can say "Told you so. Look how awesome I am at player evaluations."

Great. Another season where someone picks an elite guy to be contrarian about so they can beat the drum for two months in the hope they can say "Told you so. Look how awesome I am at player evaluations."
Don't see you sticking your neck out there on anyone. I like elliot but don't think he's elite talent at the position either. He's good at everything but not elite at anything in particular. 

Don't see you sticking your neck out there on anyone. I like elliot but don't think he's elite talent at the position either. He's good at everything but not elite at anything in particular. 
You have 13 posts and are calling out a guy with over 55,000 who does full mock drafts. Maybe you should relax on calling someone out. 

It's one thing to stick your neck out and another to stick your Johnson out.

I like hearing dissenting opinions.  I really like hearing educated opinions.  Sometimes I'm not educated enough to distinguish between educated opinions and people offering dissenting opinions just to be controversial and say I told you so if they're right.  

I usually find Andy to have educated opinions even if I don't agree with all of them.  If he seems to stick close to the consensus it's a validation of his process because he starts posting  on this stuff as early as anyone.  

What does that even mean? 
I think he means he likes picking guys who are going to be successful in the NFL.

I may start doing that, too. 

Previously, I would mix it up and select a few guys I knew were going to be scrubs, but I think Eminence may be on to something.

I'll just go the other way and point out that when you nitpick a player and knock him for being "jack of all/master of none" then you miss out on guys like, just as an example off the top of my head, Le'veon Bell.

I think he means he likes picking guys who are going to be successful in the NFL.

I may start doing that, too. 

Previously, I would mix it up and select guys I knew were going to be scrubs, but I think Eminence may be on to something.
Oh, he's mostly right then, I tend to look more for the Marshall Faulk/Jamal Charles/Todd Gurley type running backs. 

You have 13 posts and are calling out a guy with over 55,000 who does full mock drafts. Maybe you should relax on calling someone out. 
I did not realize I couldn't "call someone out" until I had a certain amount of posts! My bad! I just think zeke is the best rb in a deepish class with not much high end talent. So hes being touted as a can't miss type of player. I'd take treadwell, doctson, boyd or thomas over zeke. 

He's not elite at anything other than dominating the big 10 as a teenager.. He hasn't even fully matured, he's 4 years younger than David Johnson!

I did not realize I couldn't "call someone out" until I had a certain amount of posts! My bad! I just think zeke is the best rb in a deepish class with not much high end talent. So hes being touted as a can't miss type of player. I'd take treadwell, doctson, boyd or thomas over zeke. 
Because those guys are surer things?

I'll just go the other way and point out that when you nitpick a player and knock him for being "jack of all/master of none" then you miss out on guys like, just as an example off the top of my head, Le'veon Bell.
6.75 3 cone yo. I was all over Bell and took him before Gio. He was just a tad slow but he was also 230. Once he dropped 10 pounds he's a 4.5 guy which is plenty fast. 6.75 3 cone is elite for a back that size. 

6.75 3 cone yo. I was all over Bell and took him before Gio. He was just a tad slow but he was also 230. Once he dropped 10 pounds he's a 4.5 guy which is plenty fast. 6.75 3 cone is elite for a back that size. 
Well maybe you ARE really good at this.

What if EE has a 6.8ish 3 cone drill and runs a 4.46 without having to lose weight? 

Kenneth Dixon is a guy who performed pretty solidly all-around judging by the times I'm seeing. Unfortunately I don't have NFL Network so any footage of the catching drills is lost on me. But I'm a bit surprised he isn't getting more talk with above average numbers across the board. 

The great thing is you can.  Do whatever you want.  But because someone things differently doesn't mean you need to be condescending and start a who's the better evaluator contest.

Kenneth Dixon is a guy who performed pretty solidly all-around judging by the times I'm seeing. Unfortunately I don't have NFL Network so any footage of the catching drills is lost on me. But I'm a bit surprised he isn't getting more talk with above average numbers across the board. 
He was getting a pretty good amount of love before today. I think DJ, Bucky and Mayock all had him somewhere in their top 5. I had didn't get to watch the RBs but I did see that they did a little segment on him before the 40s. There's different views on him DJ was talking him up as a complete back but Mayock see's him more as a 3rd down back. Unfortunately, I tend to agree with Mayock.

The great thing is you can.  Do whatever you want.  But because someone things differently doesn't mean you need to be condescending and start a who's the better evaluator contest.
I don't think anyone with less than a thousand posts should be allowed to post on the Football Guys message board. New guys, you want to dish on this message board with the sharks? Make a thousand posts and then come back here. 

Thoughts on Kenyan Drake? I know he got buried behind Henry, but he had a great combine. 
He's alright.  His feet always seem to be moving but he seems pretty raw.  Physical he reminds me of Latavius Murray.

His running style reminds me of Lamar Miller / Lamicael James.  If he's drafted by a team that intends to use him, I'd add him to my draft list.

Right now, he's a guy that will have to wait for an injury to see significant carries.

Kind of like Lasco.  Not a bad talent but I don't see any team falling head over heels with the guy.  Mewelde Moore esque.  Good enough to start in a pinch.

DJ is 1 inch taller but the same weight (225lbs), they have same arm length, Zeke has bigger hands and ran a faster 40, identical 10 yard short.  DJ bested him in broad and vertical, and I'd bet EE will best him in the agility drills (short shuttle and 3 cone)

I'd say that's about a draw from a measurable's standpoint, but when you factor in Zeke is 3 years younger as a rookie and that he played against the best competition and dominated I don't think they are very close as prospects.   
Meh EE got ate up in the jumps and showed he doesn't have the same hands. He''s just not as explosive. DJ is a special level of athlete that doesn't come around very often. 127 inch broad and 41.5 inch vert at 224 pounds? DJ ran a 6.82 three cone as well along with 24 bench press reps. DJ is an Elite athlete. EE is an above average athlete. EE didn't bench either did he? Hmmmm

He's alright.  His feet always seem to be moving but he seems pretty raw.  Physical he reminds me of Latavius Murray.

His running style reminds me of Lamar Miller / Lamicael James.  If he's drafted by a team that intends to use him, I'd add him to my draft list.

Right now, he's a guy that will have to wait for an injury to see significant carries.

Kind of like Lasco.  Not a bad talent but I don't see any team falling head over heels with the guy.  Mewelde Moore esque.  Good enough to start in a pinch.
Blast from the past. 

What if EE has a 6.8ish 3 cone drill and runs a 4.46 without having to lose weight? 
Bell ran that elite 3 cone at 230 pounds. He's faster than that at 221. I'm not saying EE isn't above average but I def don't see a special athlete. 

Andy Dufresne said:
I'm starting to see why David Johnson was a first rounder. :mellow:
Would he be now if they did a redraft? Lol wow what a terrible post. The fact is lots of teams were wrong on DJ. Think SD wants to do a redraft? 

Users who are viewing this thread