What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Official Dallas Cowboys thread (1 Viewer)

That seems like a lot of hometown discounts and team friendly deals, @STEADYMOBBIN 22. Jerry's been kicking the can down the road for years now, it's going to catch up to him eventually. I'm sure there will be some cuts. The cap should still move up some too I believe, but that may have already happened or is taken into account. But it will be hard to keep the guys you want to resign, let alone sign any sort of impact free agent. They always seem to get it done though, and they look to contend for at least the near future so it they could get their discounts.

That seems like a lot of hometown discounts and team friendly deals, @STEADYMOBBIN 22. Jerry's been kicking the can down the road for years now, it's going to catch up to him eventually. I'm sure there will be some cuts. The cap should still move up some too I believe, but that may have already happened or is taken into account. But it will be hard to keep the guys you want to resign, let alone sign any sort of impact free agent. They always seem to get it done though, and they look to contend for at least the near future so it they could get their discounts.

I understand what you are saying but unlike past years they aren't over paying people and have a strategy going forward.  They arent over the cap because they don't know what they are doing, they are up against the cap because they are stretching every dollar.  

You should expect to see the exact same process as the past several years going forward. They re-signed their core guys and fill in the gap's with a bunch of two your deals that incentivize the players to play hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
 I understand what you are saying but unlike past years they aren't over paying people and have a strategy going forward.  They are of the gifts the Because they don't know what they are doing, they are up against the cat because they are stretching every dollar.  

You should expect to see the exact same process as the past several years going forward. They re-signed their core guys and fill in the gap's with a bunch of two your deals that incentivize the players to play hard.
Hate when my team runs out of cat room?

Players are less likely to sign hometown discounts when there are plenty of other teams with excess cap dollars who will overpay. Not saying the Cowboys won't sign all of their own players that they want, but I think it is likely that at least a couple will bolt to make the most money they can right now.

17 million freed up...just re-did Fred Beard and Smith. 6 million under the cap

All depends on the market... 

Carr doesn't get interceptions but is a sure tackler and hasn't missed a game in his entire career. I think he gets more interceptions if we get a pass rush just once to start his career.

MorClaiborne can't stay healthy. 

Williams is a body catcher but oddly enough has several clutch toe drags  in his short career. He is not a burner though.  He's a number two receiver through and through. 

Church is a team leader, short tackler and good cover guy but not a big hitter. He is working on his third or fourth contract so he will likely take the highest bid, but what will that be? Eric Barry was paid $10 million last year and the second highest paid safety made 3 million.

Lately the Cowboys MO is to make reasonable offers to all free agents so they are always looking for the bargains. I'm not sure any of those guys are worth breaking the bank for.

ugly enough has made someAll depends on the market... 

Carr doesn't get interceptions but is a sure tackler and hasn't missed a game in his entire career. I think he gets more interceptions if we get a pass rush just once to start his career.

MorClaiborne can't stay healthy. 

Williams is a body catcher but oddly enough has several clutch toe drags  in his short career. He is not a burner though.  He's a number two receiver through and through. 

Church is a team leader, short tackler and good cover guy but not a big hitter. He is working on his third or fourth contract so he will likely take the highest bid, but what will that be? Eric Barry was paid $10 million last year and the second highest paid safety made 3 million.

Lately the Cowboys MO is to make reasonable offers to all free agents so they are always looking for the bargains. I'm not sure any of those guys are worth breaking the bank for.
Agreed. I'd like to keep Carr Church and Williams but there will take be enough money to go around. 

Gimme Carr for a reasonable price, Williams would be 2nd on my list but someone will over pay him

Source: Washington Redskins have agreed to a 4-year deal with Cowboys free agent DT Terrell McClain that will pay him more than $21 million.

Tex

Broncos to sign G Ronald Leary to a four-year deal worth $35m with $20m gtd, source says. Big money for a guy once lost in the shuffle.

Tex

Twill back on 4 for 17. Seems like a bargain compared to some deals shelled out. He has his faults but it'll be nice to have the same O around Dak so he knows where to expect everyone.  Signed Paea as well.

now let's just get a DB back.

Happy getting Williams dirt cheap. He isn't perfect but he's ours. Williams has made a fair amount of clutch plays for us in key moments of games despite his bonehead play in the season opener last year against the Giants. 

Doug Free to retire: https://twitter.com/nfltrade_rumors/status/840633947822346241

Rappaport speculating Collins to replace: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/840637469561360385

Will be interesting to see if that happens,  and if any impact to Zeke. Zeke is so good I don't think this moves the needle too much.

If Chaz Green's body would cooperate, that could be a net gain. Unfortunately that isn't very likely based on his college and pro injury history. 

I have to think Marinelli is going crazy about now....Whole defense getting decimated..
We are locked and loaded on drafting a week 1 starting CB at 28. Best CB class in maybe ever so we'll probably get another viable corner before round 5. Scandy will rebound to his 2014 form and Anthony Brown was a nice pick from last year. No worries. Jerry's alcohol soaked brain is no longer in control. 

I have to think Marinelli is going crazy about now....Whole defense getting decimated..
Exactly the opposite, the drafts have been mainly offensive since Marinelle got in the building, this year Marinelli is getting his kind of personnel on the roster. He's licking his chops thinking about guys that can score TDs as a unit on defense.

I hope you are all right and Ill hold judgement till after the draft.

I just don't want to see another regression back to 8-8 or 9-7.

While I agree that they were not worth the $ they got paid, I don't think JJ, Church, Carr, and Mo can all be replaced in 1 draft.

Hope last year wasn't just a tease of what we can become.

Side note -- Think we are going to plan a trip to Denver this year depending on the game date....

We are locked and loaded on drafting a week 1 starting CB at 28. Best CB class in maybe ever so we'll probably get another viable corner before round 5. Scandy will rebound to his 2014 form and Anthony Brown was a nice pick from last year. No worries. Jerry's alcohol soaked brain is no longer in control. 
Yup. 

Heath with likely play safety along with Jones. Scandrick might stay in the slot, Brown and Carrol on the outside with a rookie or two in the fold. 

What we STILL need is a war daddy at DE.

I disagree with a definite CB in the 1st. I think that'll take whoever is highest on their board regardless of position. We'll see

DreamTheater said:
I hope you are all right and Ill hold judgement till after the draft.

I just don't want to see another regression back to 8-8 or 9-7.

While I agree that they were not worth the $ they got paid, I don't think JJ, Church, Carr, and Mo can all be replaced in 1 draft.

Hope last year wasn't just a tease of what we can become.

Side note -- Think we are going to plan a trip to Denver this year depending on the game date....

We've replaced Mo every year since his rookie campaign. Has he really ever played for us? Last year he had 7 pretty good regular season games. That's about it.  I have nothing against Mo but I'm glad he's someone else's problem especially at a higher salary. Last year we were 6-1 with Mo and 7-1 without him. Brown will be a fine replacement once again.

Yeah, we didn't have any defensive playmakers outside of Lee last year and we didn't lose any in FA. 

Assuming Collins slides to RT, the only real downgrade is Leary and that can be rectified in the draft. I see the Cowboys investing in that line each and every year. 

Believe it or not they've planned for the post Free and Leary days, it's just that Green can't stay healthy. 

I also don't buy the corner in the first round bit. It's more likely a DE, followed by OL, then DB.

I see us moving around a bit in this draft day 1 and day 3. 

I'll be watching to see if we draft a TE in the first 4 rounds. I think that will speak volumes about the Cowboys future plans for Rico Gathers. I'm thinking if they draft a guy high they aren't seeing a hidden gem in Gathers. If Gathers has been wowing them they can just use their poor mans Witten in Swaine or find another blocking TE somewhere else. 

On DL we lost 2 guys and signed 2 guys on DBs lost 3 and signed 1.

Here's the guys we had more than one visit with

K.D. Cannon, Takkarist McKinley (3X), Obi Melifonwu (3X), Fabian Moreau, Seth Russell, Cordrea Tankersley, T.J. Watt (3X)

Week 1 - vs. New York Giants (Sunday, Sept. 10, 7:30pm CST, NBC)

Week 2 - at Denver Broncos (Sunday, Sept. 17, 3:25pm CST  FOX)

Week 3 -  at Arizona Cardinals (Monday, Sept. 25, 7:30pm ESPN)
Week 4 -  vs. LA Rams (Sunday, Oct. 1, 12noon CST, FOX)

Week 5: vs. Green Bay Packers (Sunday, Oct. 8, 3:25pm CST, FOX)

Week 6: BYE

Week 7:  at San Francisco 49ers (Sunday, Oct 22, 3:25pm CST, FOX)
Week 8:  at Washington Redskins (Sunday, Oct. 29, 3:25pm CST, NBC)

Week 9: vs. Kansas City Chiefs (Sunday, Nov. 5, 3:25pm CST, CBS)

Week 10: at Atlanta Falcons (Sunday, Nov. 12, 3:25pm CST, FOX)

Week 11: vs. Philadelphia Eagles  (Sunday, Nov. 19, 7:30pm CST, NBC)
Week 12 (Thanksgiving): vs. Los Angeles Chargers (Thursday, Nov. 23, 3:25pm CST, CBS)

Week 13: vs. Washington Redskins (Thursday, Nov. 30, 7:30pm CST, NBC)

Week 14: at New York Giants (Sunday, Dec. 10, 3:25pm CST, FOX)

Week 15: at Oakland Raiders (Sunday, Dec. 17, 7:30pm CST, NBC)

Week 16: vs. Seattle Seahawks (Sunday, Dec. 24, 3:25pm CST, FOX)

Week 17: at Philadelphia Eagles (Sunday, Dec. 31, 12noon CST, FOX)

Only two noon games and the 2nd one is W17 @PHI which might get flexed to a night game. We're prime time baby!!!

Users who are viewing this thread