What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Green Bay Packers thread (2 Viewers)

As of this morning, there were still 2,000 tickets available on Ticketmaster. Its probably even cheaper to go to the secondary market, where face value and below seems to be the rule. I expect most anyone in Wisconsin is experiencing the same thing I am - texts and emails all day from friends trying to dump tickets. The problem is that season ticket holders were asked to pony up for playoff tickets in late November when the team was 4-6. Many just blow it off due to low expectations, then are later disinclined to go because they can't get "their" seats, which either went to the Milwaukee ticket holders of the same seats or went up for general sale.

One of the main memories I have from the past two Giants playoff games at Lambeau is the massive support they got from travelling Giants fans. I really hope that isn't the case again on Sunday, but it seems likely.

Go get him Ted!  Tillman has more talent in his left nut than Randall.
Disagree.

Randall likes to peek in the backfield & bait QB's then close on the ball for an INT. He did it successfully vs. Russell Wilson. Not so much vs. Stafford then ended up hurting his knee vs. the Lions

Anonymous members of the exec committee need to shut their traps.

And im thinking more and more Ball is their succession plan.  Why else would Wolf interview elsewhere?

Bruce Leroy said:
Disagree.

Randall likes to peek in the backfield & bait QB's then close on the ball for an INT. He did it successfully vs. Russell Wilson. Not so much vs. Stafford then ended up hurting his knee vs. the Lions
He also likes to allow teams to score touchdowns.  And doesn't like to tackle.  He's rated 116 out of 119 according to PFF apparently.  Which is abysmal.  I mean that means he's a 4 on the worst teams in the NFL. 

Well now we got that converted WR rookie Herb Waters playing CB, OBJ is now on lockdown. Thank goodness for contingency plans. Hey it worked for our RB, maybe that WAS the plan, just make guys play new positions to fill voids. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How's the secondary looking?  Seriously?  Who is even playing this weekend?  I expect a high scoring affair.  
Randall was a full participant. So basically everyone but Shields and Rollins will be playing I believe. Rollins is still a possibility to play but I would doubt it... 

Cobb returned to practice

JPP is going to be inactive for the Giants, so that's good. 

I think we pound the Giants to be honest.  I'm guessing 31-21 something like that with the Giants scoring late to make it that close.  

I think we pound the Giants to be honest.  I'm guessing 31-21 something like that with the Giants scoring late to make it that close.  
That would be the most the Giants have scored since Thanksgiving. But you're probably right on the game flow... Pack up big and the Giants getting a garbage time TD to make the final score look closer

From your keyboard to God's ear.  I am nervous.  I would at least hope that Joe Thomas was not having back issues, and that Rollins and Gunther did not have question marks.  I will be interested to see if Pennel is activated and makes the roster.  He certainly helped their run defense get out to a good start in the early season. I would also hope that Elliot is fully recovered to play special teams.

Eli has had some post season success, but it has, in my mind, been much about luck, desperation plays that happened to pay off not so much due to him as receivers playing above their heads.   That can't hold.  

From your keyboard to God's ear.  I am nervous.  I would at least hope that Joe Thomas was not having back issues, and that Rollins and Gunther did not have question marks.  I will be interested to see if Pennel is activated and makes the roster.  He certainly helped their run defense get out to a good start in the early season. I would also hope that Elliot is fully recovered to play special teams.

Eli has had some post season success, but it has, in my mind, been much about luck, desperation plays that happened to pay off not so much due to him as receivers playing above their heads.   That can't hold.  
literally...

https://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/tyreecatch08pf-1.jpg

If Giants have no success running the ball, I can also see a double digit win by GB against my beloved Giants.  In their week 5 match up, there was NO reason for the Green Bay defense to fear Darkwa and Rainey and were able to play nickle and dime packages the whole game.  Green Bay seemed to have 5 or 6 defensive backs in on every snap.  They dared the NY Giants RB duo to try and beat them.  They played perfect bend don't break defense thus holding them to field goals.  Any way you slice it, the NY Giants Achilles heel is still their offensive line.  Nothing has changed there since week 5.  The Green Bay front four were able to pressure Eli on nearly 50% of his drop backs, all while NOT blitzing.  That is just crazy.  I am not taking anything away from GB pass rush, I am well aware they are great at getting pressure.  Problem is our OL can't hold protection for very long.  The week link, IMHO, is Flowers and I expect Capers to throw everything his way.  That being said, I fully expect a healthy dose of Perkins and Jennings come Sunday.  They will need to find a way to move the chains via the run in an effort to bring some of that secondary personnel closer to the line of scrimmage.  For the NY Giants to have any chance to win this game they CANNOT be one dimensional on offense come Sunday night!  Xanax and honey turkey will be on the menu come Sunday for me.

If Giants have no success running the ball, I can also see a double digit win by GB against my beloved Giants.  In their week 5 match up, there was NO reason for the Green Bay defense to fear Darkwa and Rainey and were able to play nickle and dime packages the whole game.  Green Bay seemed to have 5 or 6 defensive backs in on every snap.  They dared the NY Giants RB duo to try and beat them.  They played perfect bend don't break defense thus holding them to field goals.  Any way you slice it, the NY Giants Achilles heel is still their offensive line.  Nothing has changed there since week 5.  The Green Bay front four were able to pressure Eli on nearly 50% of his drop backs, all while NOT blitzing.  That is just crazy.  I am not taking anything away from GB pass rush, I am well aware they are great at getting pressure.  Problem is out OL can't hold protection for very long.  The week link, IMHO, is Flowers and I expect Capers to throw everything his way.  That being said, I fully expect a healthy dose of Perkins and Jennings come Sunday.  They will need to find a way to move the chains via the run in an effort to bring some of that secondary personnel closer to the line of scrimmage.  For the NY Giants to have any chance to win this game they CANNOT be one dimensional on offense come Sunday night!  Xanax and honey turkey will be on the menu come Sunday for me.
If Eli-Odell gets going, the Packer could give up 70 points.  Capers defense has allowed more career and NFL record games than I care to remember.  I could actually see Beckham breaking the single game record for a receiver if the stars line up for him.  

So a lot depends on that.  Giants did not have Perkins in the other matchup.  

If Eli-Odell gets going, the Packer could give up 70 points.  Capers defense has allowed more career and NFL record games than I care to remember.  I could actually see Beckham breaking the single game record for a receiver if the stars line up for him.  

So a lot depends on that.  Giants did not have Perkins in the other matchup.  
Although, Perkins, was active he was a NON FACTOR for the Giants during the early portion of the season.  Jennings was also inactive for that game with a hand injury and Vereen was on IR with a torn tricep.  The Giants also came into that game banged up in the secondary after getting beat up in Minny.  They were also playing on six days rest compared to the 14 days Green Bay had coming off of a bye.  Like I said in my previous post, that Giants OL has NOT improved at the least bit since that week 5 match up.

Christine Michael, act like you have been in a game before.  Love the energy, now focus it properly.  You are moments away from hurting your team with your celebrations of every time you simply take the field.  Oh, continue to work on which direction is left and which is right.

McCarty, no problem with a 4th and 1 call, but consider running an experienced back to the right, behind Lang and Bulaga or put Aaron on a bootleg with some pass/run options.

Hail Mary, loved the receivers quite literally jogging down the field.  That caused the Giants to set up towards the goal line as it looked like the receivers were going to barely get there.  Then a bit of a burst and Aaron drops it straight out of the sky on the backline, a position the Packers got to after lulling the Giants to sleep.

Randall, I saw your game.  You tightened coverage and made some tackles, good for you.  Too bad your inside help disappeared when you had outside leverage.  Need to nail down that communication.  In any matter you showed me some good stuff, along with the one glaring play. Keep working kid, you can get this.

Gunther, great progress this season, watch the guy getting behind you.

Mathews, good alertness.

Perry and Peppers, a bit more impact would be nice, Mathews too.  Peppers, this is your last chance to experience the ultimate football high, dig back in time and find a little something.

Jordy, get well. That goes for everybody else as well.

Aaron, thank you for the wood, I put it to good use.

Capers, nice scheme, nice scheme in light of injuries.  Nice scheme for several weeks now juggling the injuries.  Your unnatural hair still freaks me out. 

McCarthy, remember, remember, remember that slants and W.R. screens are part of the offensive package.  Scrambles are nice, but good things happen when throwing on rhythm and in quick throws.

Go Pack.

Oh, Pennel, if you get activated pay us back for your problem child ways by stuffing Elliot this next week. 

Clay Matthews made a great play on the strip sack + fumble recovery. Other than that, did he do anything? Its a concern for me, but I'm probably not seeing the things he does. Every time I watched him on a play last night, he was well-blocked. For all the weak spots in their roster, the Packers need their special players to be special.

The main takeaway from last night? For me, it was a reflection of the entire season. Its a pretty simple rule - as goes Aaron Rodgers go the Packers. He played poorly until the second half of the second quarter, and the team was deservedly losing. He made some great plays near the end of the 2nd quarter and played incredible football most of the second half, when the Packers rolled.

I put some of the blame on Rodgers for Jordy's injury. It was a dirty hit to be sure, but that was what we used to call a "hospital pass" back in my rugby-playing days. I had to bite my tongue a bit when some of the fans sitting near me were blaming Nelson for not holding that ball.

Clay Matthews made a great play on the strip sack + fumble recovery. Other than that, did he do anything? Its a concern for me, but I'm probably not seeing the things he does. Every time I watched him on a play last night, he was well-blocked. For all the weak spots in their roster, the Packers need their special players to be special.
How much of this is a lack of a dynamic playmaker in front or across from him? Matthews' best seasons came with stellar play on the DL in front of him. While our DL is much better this year than in years past, there is still no one on that defense that offenses have to account for with extra attention. If you have a DL in front of him, or on the opposite side of the defense that the OL has to account for, then that frees up one of them to do well. 

The thing with special players is that they can be planned against quite well but they will wear you down and make plays when they matter the most. Matthews looks better at that this year than in previous

The main takeaway from last night? For me, it was a reflection of the entire season. Its a pretty simple rule - as goes Aaron Rodgers go the Packers. He played poorly until the second half of the second quarter, and the team was deservedly losing. He made some great plays near the end of the 2nd quarter and played incredible football most of the second half, when the Packers rolled.

I put some of the blame on Rodgers for Jordy's injury. It was a dirty hit to be sure, but that was what we used to call a "hospital pass" back in my rugby-playing days. I had to bite my tongue a bit when some of the fans sitting near me were blaming Nelson for not holding that ball.
Credit to our defense for not letting the game get out of hand. Earlier this year when Rodgers would play terrible the defense would give up 14-21 points. That game could have easily been out of hand by the time Rodgers got his groove. The defense has been leaps and bounds better since the start of December

Credit to our defense for not letting the game get out of hand. Earlier this year when Rodgers would play terrible the defense would give up 14-21 points. That game could have easily been out of hand by the time Rodgers got his groove. The defense has been leaps and bounds better since the start of December
Helped by drops for sure...but the D played a good game.  Guys were open...no pressure...but they kept fighting.  And Dom switched a few things up and said...forget this, we don't fear that run game...lets bracket Beckham and make Eli try to beat them other ways.

He takes a lot of heat...but the D down the stretch has done well holding teams from big scores and that helps the offense (and the offense helps them too).  Have to give those guys and Dom a lot of credit.

Sucks that it just doesn't look like we will have Jordy (nothing cofirmed but possible multiple broken ribs I just heard on 540...and they have said nothing confirmed too).  Seems there is always something when we get to the playoffs.  Rodgers calf or collar bone (coming back from it)...Jordy now.  Cobb going down making numbers thin against AZ last year.  Im not making excuses...just sucks when it seems to keep being something like that.

It appears the reports of Cobb's demise on this team by me and others were overstated.  He has a role and offers things other guys don't.  He is not a #1 outside guy...but man being able to do so many different things is big for the offense.  He was the last guy you expect to catch a hail mary too.  Just nuts.

CMike may be earning himself a spot if they give him the ball a bit more as hard as he runs.  Just needs to calm down (as others said).

Schum...had a very good day again...seems like the move to him this year has paid off.

Hope they can get Rollins back and at least have the guys they have left being healthy to go against Dallas.  That secondary will be tested as we can't play against Dallas like we did against NY or Zeke will kill us.  Have to try to force this into Dak's hands.

Depending on Jordy's fractures he may or may not be able to play at some point. If they beat Dallas I like his chances against ATL in a best case scenario. If his ribs are okay he may play this week. If they are fractured completely then he's done. If not he could play as long as he can tolerate that pain.
I don't blame anyone for sitting with broken or even bruised ribs. That is excruciating. What's worse is there's nothing you can do for it to make it feel better. Constant pain

Depending on Jordy's fractures he may or may not be able to play at some point. If they beat Dallas I like his chances against ATL in a best case scenario. If his ribs are okay he may play this week. If they are fractured completely then he's done. If not he could play as long as he can tolerate that pain.
I don't blame anyone for sitting with broken or even bruised ribs. That is excruciating. What's worse is there's nothing you can do for it to make it feel better. Constant pain
Outside of the pain...what are the long term risks there too?  I would think there would have to be something.

Outside of the pain...what are the long term risks there too?  I would think there would have to be something.
Well, the short term risk would include further breaking a rib and puncturing the lung, spleen (left side where he was hit). Both would be considered life and career threatening

Long term, as in next season... not sure there is a huge risk. I mean if he breaks it further it just means more time. Potentially surgical if they have to use plates/screws to get everything lined up again. That is very rare. Had a patient with that once. Motorcycle accident. I called him Wolverine because his left ribcage was all held together by metal. 

Well, the short term risk would include further breaking a rib and puncturing the lung, spleen (left side where he was hit). Both would be considered life and career threatening

Long term, as in next season... not sure there is a huge risk. I mean if he breaks it further it just means more time. Potentially surgical if they have to use plates/screws to get everything lined up again. That is very rare. Had a patient with that once. Motorcycle accident. I called him Wolverine because his left ribcage was all held together by metal. 
I think more the short term was my question (just worded that terribly)

Also...credit to McCarthy...he had his plan thinking how they could beat NY and it wasn't working.  Many were critical of the deep passing plays early and long developing stuff.  He admitted it after the game even that he had a plan and it wasn't working and that he was self aware enough to change things up back to the short passing game that had worked so well.

Wonder how much DRC going out influenced him trying to go deep after that so much?

And loved Clay on the forced fumble...then seeing the ball laying around and being alert enough to go get it.

also funny seeing Perkins like...WTF is he barreling into me for look too.

I have broken my ribs more than once.  Painful, difficult to sleep, and difficult to raise your arms above your head, as receivers often have to do.  Breathing or twisting can cause stabbing pain that makes one double over or curl up, sort of antithetical to a football posture. I remember one time the Doc telling me that I had a substantial pull or tear of my Intercostal (sp?, memory?) cartilage.  That injury was as painful, more so than the ribs, and seemed to take even longer to heal.  Ribs were 6 to 7 weeks for me and the cartilage thing maybe ten.  Of course I did not get shot up for the pain.

Oh, as I understand it that cartilege is between the ribs holding them in place, and extends also, maybe, from the ends of the ribs a bit.

Won't get the drop gifts this week in JerryWorld.   

Randall needs to play his best game as a pro.  Dallas is the best team left in this thing followed closely by New England.  

And loved Clay on the forced fumble...then seeing the ball laying around and being alert enough to go get it.

Loved seeing him pointing to his guys to get it, getting disgusted they didn't, and then restarting towards the play to the confusion of many.  I, myself, thought he had lost his cool and was about to get tossed.  I thought, given the play camera angle, that he knocked the ball out of an arm that was moving forward.  It wasn't until the follow up angle that it was clear he did indeed force a fumble.

And another thumbs up to special teams...good coverage...punting...and just no worries with Crosby back there.

And another thumbs up to special teams...good coverage...punting...and just no worries with Crosby back there.
Bobby Rainey catching that ball near the sideliness reminded me of the Republicans finally catching up to Obamacare....they caught it and instantly thought "oh ####...now what?"  

Loved seeing him pointing to his guys to get it, getting disgusted they didn't, and then restarting towards the play to the confusion of many.  I, myself, thought he had lost his cool and was about to get tossed.  I thought, given the play camera angle, that he knocked the ball out of an arm that was moving forward.  It wasn't until the follow up angle that it was clear he did indeed force a fumble.
I missed this play as my power was out but seeing it online today... what a great play

Also...credit to McCarthy...he had his plan thinking how they could beat NY and it wasn't working.  Many were critical of the deep passing plays early and long developing stuff.  He admitted it after the game even that he had a plan and it wasn't working and that he was self aware enough to change things up back to the short passing game that had worked so well.

Wonder how much DRC going out influenced him trying to go deep after that so much?
I think this is by far the most overlooked topic Monday morning

So many games we've sat through and (it seemed at least) McCarthy just stuck to his gameplan. Even if it wasn't working. Or tried to change it and by then it was way too late and predictable. Yesterday there was a clear change to the game plan and it worked. I agree, DRC going out was big. Even when that happened I made a comment how big that was. I give McCarthy a lot of flack on his gameplans when they don't work and when he plays to not lose, so I have to give him major credit. If he doesn't make that change we don't win that game. 

DRC going out sucked for the Giants but forgive me if I cannot find a tear to shed for them regarding defensive backfield injuries. 

Also, I don't ever recall McCarthy and Rodgers sitting on the bench together between plays.   That was awesome to see.  And obviously it worked.  Getting two of the very best offensive minds in the NFL to cast ego aside and truly work together was devastating to the Giants D.  This is why I think Belichick and Brady are so strong together.  Remember watching the Belichick Football life when those two would just sit and riff on offense?  Aaron and Mike sitting together on the bench reminded me of that.  

DRC going out sucked for the Giants but forgive me if I cannot find a tear to shed for them regarding defensive backfield injuries. 

Also, I don't ever recall McCarthy and Rodgers sitting on the bench together between plays.   That was awesome to see.  And obviously it worked.  Getting two of the very best offensive minds in the NFL to cast ego aside and truly work together was devastating to the Giants D.  This is why I think Belichick and Brady are so strong together.  Remember watching the Belichick Football life when those two would just sit and riff on offense?  Aaron and Mike sitting together on the bench reminded me of that.  
I think over the last month there was a couple times that McCarthy was shown talking to Rodgers at the bench. I think the big change came when Rodgers got hurt and they started to call short routes to protect Rodgers even in the shotgun. About that time Cook was also healthy to give that big target over the middle, which this team so lacks.

Personally not a big fan of McCarthy I have seen him waste a ton of talent and loose too many playoff games that should have been one. Yesterday I could not believe he went for it on 4th down, but it showed he had confidence in his team. It backfired for a while but the team came back and made it a mute point, and team showed why McCarthy believed in them. He might have this team ready for a deep run again in the playoffs.

Well, we are going to find out.  If they beat Dallas, I think they are Super Bowl bound.   The only other teams that scare me are New England and Houston.  

Well, we are going to find out.  If they beat Dallas, I think they are Super Bowl bound.   The only other teams that scare me are New England and Houston.  
I would be quite scared of Atlanta.  In a dome that offense would be extremely challenging for the Packers defense.  If the Packers made it to the Super Bowl, I believe I read that they would have the worst defense in the history of the league to make it there    

I would be quite scared of Atlanta.  In a dome that offense would be extremely challenging for the Packers defense.  If the Packers made it to the Super Bowl, I believe I read that they would have the worst defense in the history of the league to make it there    
Records are made to be broken GB.  

ETA:  Just looked it up.  Not sure how they rank defense but going by Yards Per Game the Packers were 22nd.  The 2011 Giants ranked 25th.  

Records are made to be broken GB.  

ETA:  Just looked it up.  Not sure how they rank defense but going by Yards Per Game the Packers were 22nd.  The 2011 Giants ranked 25th.  
Yeah I am not sure how true that really is... I hear this the last few years and I'm not exactly sure how true it is. This year's GB defense is not that bad... 

Jordy update from my buddy... won't practice until Saturday. If he can go he will play. No word yet on specifics of the injury. Says they are keeping it hush for now. He suspects no broken ribs but rather internal injuries considering the chance he could practice Saturday and play Sunday. 

They are 31st against the pass.  That sounds even worse when you consider how bad the Browns and 49ers were
SF was actually 14th against the pass (It helps when each QB  in your division is playing awful), Cleveland 21. 

They're 8th against the run, which is why I like this improved Packers team vs Dallas this weekend

GB is ranked 21st in total yards, however Kansas City is ranked 24 and when I think KC I definitely don't think great offense... I think stout defense. Yet this doesn't stop people from stating KC as a favorite for the superbowl. 

Not very concerned about this

Expect to hear Jordy will be out indefinitely but we'll see.

I have been waiting to hear something on Jordy too.  It doesn't sound good.

Dr. Brew said:
Jordy update from my buddy... won't practice until Saturday. If he can go he will play. No word yet on specifics of the injury. Says they are keeping it hush for now. He suspects no broken ribs but rather internal injuries considering the chance he could practice Saturday and play Sunday. 
You won't get any word until Saturday...

Dr. Brew said:
Is your buddy McCarthy?  That was pretty much what he said already today.

Anonymous members of the exec committee need to shut their traps.

And im thinking more and more Ball is their succession plan.  Why else would Wolf interview elsewhere?
Did anyone see the Rappaport report that John Dorsey from KC would be the likely successor to TT? Dorsey did not sign his extension yet which ends this year. Also, Dorsey's assistant turned down an offer to interview in SF because he wants to stay in KC.

Dorsey emerges as Packers GM candidate

Users who are viewing this thread