What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Green Bay Packers thread (1 Viewer)

The past few weeks, I wake up every morning expecting to open the paper and read that Thompson, McCarthy and his staff have all signed long term extensions. WTF Murphy, get it done now!! Its unbelievable what these guys have accomplished.

Talk about adding insult to injury. I couldn't get to Chicago last weekend due to various unavoidable obligations (meaning, my wife had a ton of #### for me to do). Now my son gets invited to the Vikings game because his friend's mom is afraid of the cold. Its going to be in the 40s on Saturday. He'll probably we wearing shorts.

The past few weeks, I wake up every morning expecting to open the paper and read that Thompson, McCarthy and his staff have all signed long term extensions. WTF Murphy, get it done now!! Its unbelievable what these guys have accomplished.
Unbelievable?  Not really.  They got the best player in the NFL at quarterback.  

Talk about adding insult to injury. I couldn't get to Chicago last weekend due to various unavoidable obligations (meaning, my wife had a ton of #### for me to do). Now my son gets invited to the Vikings game because his friend's mom is afraid of the cold. Its going to be in the 40s on Saturday. He'll probably we wearing shorts.
It's going to be a high of 34 on Saturday.

Yeah, its like a heat wave sweeping through the state. Will probably be raining on Christmas.  The only good news is I'll be firing up the grill all weekend.

Packers will win.

Gunter out today now...Randall came up gimpy too.

D struggling at times...though Clay looks great.

Jordy is freaking awesome

Not talked about much...Schum has had a decent year punting and has been very good so far today

Merry Christmas Packer fans. Let's hope Thompson, McCarthy, Capers, Bennett and their staffs find shiny new long term contracts under their trees this morning. If Murphy lets any of these guys get away, the Board will surely have to reconsider his continued employment with the club.

If Capers leaves (fired...retires...whatever)...who would you go after?

Is Rex Ryan too tarnished now?  Not that he would necessarily want to ever step back to DC anymore.

Winston Moss seems ready to step in if Capers retires, and Darren Perry is also very experienced.

It's more fun to think about outside hires of course... change to a 4-3 under Gus Bradley? Alright, that's not the most exciting pitch.

sho nuff said:

Is Rex Ryan too tarnished now?  Not that he would necessarily want to ever step back to DC anymore.
Might be good with anyone new, but I see that as a PR nightmare... you get rid of the legendary Capers and bring in some shlub!?  Rex would be a good candidate but who knows if he couldn't swallow his pride and go back to being a DC. 

I'm more concerned about getting rid of TT honestly. Maybe if we have a GM who brings in more vets to supplement the defense Capers system will work better as that's what it's designed for. 

CletiusMaximus said:
Merry Christmas Packer fans. Let's hope Thompson, McCarthy, Capers, Bennett and their staffs find shiny new long term contracts under their trees this morning. If Murphy lets any of these guys get away, the Board will surely have to reconsider his continued employment with the club.
Hopefully this was trolling... because the only one worthy of a contract is Bennett of that list. McCarthy at this point will be back at least 1 more season. Capers likely too. Thompson has to go. The fact that he was able to stumble upon a good fix at RB for now (Montgomery) is not due to his genius. Without that the Packers aren't looking at a winning season/playoff trip/divisional title

Winston Moss seems ready to step in if Capers retires, and Darren Perry is also very experienced.

It's more fun to think about outside hires of course... change to a 4-3 under Gus Bradley? Alright, that's not the most exciting pitch.
I like Moss but I'm not sure. If Capers retires I think it's Moss' job and that makes sense. If Capers is fired I don't think they go internal- if you fire you need to find someone better and proven. Not unproven and potentialy way worse

sho nuff said:

I would be extremely disappointed if the Packers welcomed that sideshow to town.  His press always exceeded his ability and he is an instant distraction, and he would be constantly advocating for the top job sowing dissent and instability.  he is an ### clown.  He is all mouth and no results.  As the Texans say he is all hat and no cattle.

Me, I like to win championships at the end of the year, not the bluster contest in the off season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be extremely disappointed if the packers welcomed that sideshow to town.  His press always exceeded his ability and he is an instant distraction, and he would be constantly advocating for the top job sowing dissent and instability.  he is an ### clown.  He is all mouth and no results.  As the Texans say he is all hat and no cattle.

Me, I like to win championships at the end of the year, not the bluster contest in the off season.
Tell us how you really feel...

Haha, no I agree with you completely. None of his defenses have been as good as they were in Baltimore, except the Jets initially but IMO Revis made that defense, not the other way around.

he would be a sideshow. I think he's a good coach that when he gets in the spotlight makes an ### hat out of himself. But at the end of the day I think if you fire Capers you need to bring in a DC with a reputation. However, most DC aren't looking to make a lateral move unles they are unemployed. Not a lot of big names out there except for Ryan. 

Again, I think Moss is likeliest to get the position. GB likes to promote from within. Edgar Bennett is a HC in the making. Not sure he's ready yet though. I prefer Josh McDaniels myself. DC is a more hazy situation. 

I really think with the recent play, McCarthy and Capers have saved their jobs for next season. TT needs to retire. 

Hopefully this was trolling... because the only one worthy of a contract is Bennett of that list. McCarthy at this point will be back at least 1 more season. Capers likely too. Thompson has to go. The fact that he was able to stumble upon a good fix at RB for now (Montgomery) is not due to his genius. Without that the Packers aren't looking at a winning season/playoff trip/divisional title
I don't consider myself a sophisticated fan and don't claim to be able to judge how well a coach is performing from my view on the couch, other than just looking at Ws and Ls. The team has had incredible success over the past 10 years, certainly at or near the top of the 32 teams all gunning for the same trophy. My joe-six-pack opinion is that the staff has worked wonders to be in contention once again this year, despite all they've gone through. Filling a gap at RB with a guy wearing #88 and making it work strikes me as a sign of great coaching. I guess I can see how one would view it as failure in terms of preparation, but you have to have a strong personal bias to claim they "stubmled" into this solution rather than giving credit where its due. That's like folks who claim Rodgers "fell into Thompson's lap" rather than crediting him for making one of the most successful draft picks of the decade.

I don't consider myself a sophisticated fan and don't claim to be able to judge how well a coach is performing from my view on the couch, other than just looking at Ws and Ls. The team has had incredible success over the past 10 years, certainly at or near the top of the 32 teams all gunning for the same trophy. My joe-six-pack opinion is that the staff has worked wonders to be in contention once again this year, despite all they've gone through. Filling a gap at RB with a guy wearing #88 and making it work strikes me as a sign of great coaching. I guess I can see how one would view it as failure in terms of preparation, but you have to have a strong personal bias to claim they "stubmled" into this solution rather than giving credit where its due. That's like folks who claim Rodgers "fell into Thompson's lap" rather than crediting him for making one of the most successful draft picks of the decade.
Yes, coaching has resulted in this team making something out of nothing. Thompson failed in preparing this team, so I think he needs to go. I do agree that with the way this season has seemed to end McCarthy and Capers have earned another year... 

Might be good with anyone new, but I see that as a PR nightmare... you get rid of the legendary Capers and bring in some shlub!?  Rex would be a good candidate but who knows if he couldn't swallow his pride and go back to being a DC. 

I'm more concerned about getting rid of TT honestly. Maybe if we have a GM who brings in more vets to supplement the defense Capers system will work better as that's what it's designed for. 

Thompson isn't going anywhere unless he resigns.  McCarthy is either and will get more than one more year.

I would be extremely disappointed if the Packers welcomed that sideshow to town.  His press always exceeded his ability and he is an instant distraction, and he would be constantly advocating for the top job sowing dissent and instability.  he is an ### clown.  He is all mouth and no results.  As the Texans say he is all hat and no cattle.

As a HC I agreeandI wouldn't want the sideshow. As a DC...I thought no he is very good.  Similar to WadePhillips

Thompson isn't going anywhere unless he resigns.  McCarthy is either and will get more than one more year.
I'm kind of hoping he retires. But nothing has really pointed to that... 

I think McCarthy's fate is tied to what TT does. If he is let go or retires then Wolf would obviously be the logical next man up... so I am not so sure he just extends McCarthy right away. If TT sticks around I do believe McCarthy gets an extension this offseason, but that depends how this season ends. As of now, this season looks awfully familiar to 2010... 

Yes, coaching has resulted in this team making something out of nothing. Thompson failed in preparing this team, so I think he needs to go. I do agree that with the way this season has seemed to end McCarthy and Capers have earned another year... 
I have a feeling the club will tie Thompson, McCarthy and Rodgers together in terms of their sundown in Green Bay. Rodgers' contract runs through 2019, when he'll be 36. The last two years are almost all base salary with a small amount of bonus money. They might bring in a new guy to manage the transition from Rodgers to the next QB, kind of similar to what Thompson and McCarthy had to do, or they'll just cut ties with the whole group when Rodgers' contract ends and start new in 2020. I don't think they're going to fire anyone up there, unless something crazy happens.

I have a feeling the club will tie Thompson, McCarthy and Rodgers together in terms of their sundown in Green Bay. Rodgers' contract runs through 2019, when he'll be 36. The last two years are almost all base salary with a small amount of bonus money. They might bring in a new guy to manage the transition from Rodgers to the next QB, kind of similar to what Thompson and McCarthy had to do, or they'll just cut ties with the whole group when Rodgers' contract ends and start new in 2020. I don't think they're going to fire anyone up there, unless something crazy happens.
I think he will play past 36... Brady is an AARP member and he's still playing. I don't see a reason Rodgers couldn't. What you predict makes sense though. 

I'm kind of hoping he retires. But nothing has really pointed to that... 

I think McCarthy's fate is tied to what TT does. If he is let go or retires then Wolf would obviously be the logical next man up... so I am not so sure he just extends McCarthy right away. If TT sticks around I do believe McCarthy gets an extension this offseason, but that depends how this season ends. As of now, this season looks awfully familiar to 2010... 
So..,2010 they won it all...and if its that similar you want the GM and coaches fired

So..,2010 they won it all...and if its that similar you want the GM and coaches fired
No. I'm saying this started to look like 2010 lately, which yes they won it all then. Every year there is a team that gets hot at the right time and that team is a big threat in the playoffs. The last few years it's been Seattle. This year it looks like Green Bay. 

Before this stretch of wins I very much so wanted the coach and GM fired, yes. They looked terrible. Lately, not so much. 

I hope the GM retires because I think GB is winning in spite of his poor management. 

No. I'm saying this started to look like 2010 lately, which yes they won it all then. Every year there is a team that gets hot at the right time and that team is a big threat in the playoffs. The last few years it's been Seattle. This year it looks like Green Bay. 

Before this stretch of wins I very much so wanted the coach and GM fired, yes. They looked terrible. Lately, not so much. 

I hope the GM retires because I think GB is winning in spite of his poor management. 
Not sure how you win for this long inspire of Thompsonand not because of him.

Not sure how you win for this long inspire of Thompsonand not because of him.
Montgomery emerged in spite of Thompson. Unless you believe Thompson drafted Montgomery with the hope that one day he would transition to RB during a time of desperation and actually do well. 

Without Montgomery this team does not win the last 5 games or whatever it's been. Thompson really screwed the pooch on the RB situation this year, as well as depth at DB, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt regarding injuries there. But to only have an over the hill Starks as your backup RB... that's just not smart.

I am of the opinion without Montgomery this team does not win like they have the last month and TT is not responsible for Montgomery's switch to RB... if anything that's all on McCarthy. 

Montgomery emerged in spite of Thompson. Unless you believe Thompson drafted Montgomery with the hope that one day he would transition to RB during a time of desperation and actually do well. 

Without Montgomery this team does not win the last 5 games or whatever it's been. Thompson really screwed the pooch on the RB situation this year, as well as depth at DB, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt regarding injuries there. But to only have an over the hill Starks as your backup RB... that's just not smart.

I am of the opinion without Montgomery this team does not win like they have the last month and TT is not responsible for Montgomery's switch to RB... if anything that's all on McCarthy. 
Who drafted the depth at WR affording them the opportunity to put Montgomery back there?

Who drafted the versatile player able to do it?

Who drafted the Oline line that protects Rodgers and helps pave the way for Montgomery to be successful?  And too heat for letting Sitton go?

Its been a successful team for much of his tenure...I don't think that's just some accident 

Who drafted the depth at WR affording them the opportunity to put Montgomery back there?

Who drafted the Oline line that protects Rodgers and helps pave the way for Montgomery to be successful?  And too heat for letting Sitton go?

Its been a successful team for much of his tenure...I don't think that's just some accident 
Again, do you believe he drafted Montgomery with the intention to switch him to RB? Afterall, it was Montgomery who suggested and made a convincing case that he switch to RB. I have it on good authority Montgomery was reading the tea leaves and saw this as his best opportunity to get playing time. I don't give a GM credit. If he drafted him as a RB he would have switched him to RB right away. 

I have already given Thompson credit for getting rid of Sitton and not really seeing a drop in performance at all there. So he makes tough cuts... all GMs do this... doesn't make Thompson special. I wouldn't put GB's OL as one of the best in the league. If that was the case any RB would look great behind it. Montgomery has looked better lately because he has had much more practice time and film time at RB. Not because the OL suddenly decided to block recently. 

Yes, it has been a successful time under much of his tenure. We are very spoiled as Packer fans. I just think it's time to go. His strategy worked great when he inherited the team but when you have a solid group of guys and an MVP QB you don't keep trading the present for the future. You need to do more than sign FAs in their mid to late 30s to bolster your defense. 

I am a real big fan of Eliot Wolf and think he'd be a great combination of drafting and FA signings that this team needs to win now

He's been one of the best GM's in the NFL during his tenure however I do think he's stubborn at times when he doesn't need to be.  Just a more frequent dabble in the free agent market could be all it takes to take this team over the top.  He lack of RB foresight this year was disturbing as well.  All said he's still a great GM but he's also getting older and I wouldn't mind if they started giving Wolf more responsibilities with personnel decisions and letting TT ease into an advisor role.  Ted will be 64 soon so I wonder how much longer he's going to want the stress of being the GM.

Just thought I'd share this for those that think McCarthy should go.

Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Packers May Be as Good as We Thought They Were

Nice to see the high praise for Rodgers. But also an interesting perspective on McCarthy.
My problem with McCarthy is I think he is finally recovered from that NFC championship game collapse.  I saw the team and his offensive play calling turtle up like I have never seen it before and that hangover seemed to carry over to 2015.  Yes Jordy was injured but the offense never seemed to adjust.  Constantly sending Cobb on deep routes, fullback dives on short yardage.  I kept hearing from NFL people that McCarthy's offense was really basic, predictable and based on the results I agreed.

Fast forward to this year.  Season started and everyone was back healthy and this seemed like a breakout for them.  However the offense sputtered.  Constantly throwing deep without success, back shoulder throws on 3rd and short and not much of a running game.  Yeah he tried some things like Cobb in the backfield but everyone knew he was getting the ball.  What happened to the slant pass?  The whole offense was out of sync and based on the Colts and Titans game it appeared this team had quit.

However something changed.  McCarthy brilliantly put TY in the backfield and also started lining up Jordy in the slot on occasion.  They started throwing slant passes and the offense started clicking again.  They also seemed to get much of their swagger back...something I haven't seen since the 2014.  McCarthy has turned this team around and they are playing very well especially considering the injuries.  Hopefully coach Mac has learned, and it appears he has, from the last couple of years and I hope the team continues to do well.  I'm still not a huge fan of his but I have to give him credit for how the team has responded especially since how miserable they looked 6 weeks ago.

He's been one of the best GM's in the NFL during his tenure however I do think he's stubborn at times when he doesn't need to be.  Just a more frequent dabble in the free agent market could be all it takes to take this team over the top.  He lack of RB foresight this year was disturbing as well.  All said he's still a great GM but he's also getting older and I wouldn't mind if they started giving Wolf more responsibilities with personnel decisions and letting TT ease into an advisor role.  Ted will be 64 soon so I wonder how much longer he's going to want the stress of being the GM.
I agree with this...but have no issue if he stays a few more years.  While I'd love to retain Wolf...also no guarantee that he can be what we think either.

My problem with McCarthy is I think he is finally recovered from that NFC championship game collapse.  I saw the team and his offensive play calling turtle up like I have never seen it before and that hangover seemed to carry over to 2015.  Yes Jordy was injured but the offense never seemed to adjust.  Constantly sending Cobb on deep routes, fullback dives on short yardage.  I kept hearing from NFL people that McCarthy's offense was really basic, predictable and based on the results I agreed.

Fast forward to this year.  Season started and everyone was back healthy and this seemed like a breakout for them.  However the offense sputtered.  Constantly throwing deep without success, back shoulder throws on 3rd and short and not much of a running game.  Yeah he tried some things like Cobb in the backfield but everyone knew he was getting the ball.  What happened to the slant pass?  The whole offense was out of sync and based on the Colts and Titans game it appeared this team had quit.

However something changed.  McCarthy brilliantly put TY in the backfield and also started lining up Jordy in the slot on occasion.  They started throwing slant passes and the offense started clicking again.  They also seemed to get much of their swagger back...something I haven't seen since the 2014.  McCarthy has turned this team around and they are playing very well especially considering the injuries.  Hopefully coach Mac has learned, and it appears he has, from the last couple of years and I hope the team continues to do well.  I'm still not a huge fan of his but I have to give him credit for how the team has responded especially since how miserable they looked 6 weeks ago.
He also has gotten away from being conservative late.  Take the Bears game...Chicago came back...but the Packers were still throwing and not just tryouts no to run out the clock.  Sacks and incomplete passes stopped those drives.

Again, do you believe he drafted Montgomery with the intention to switch him to RB? Afterall, it was Montgomery who suggested and made a convincing case that he switch to RB. I have it on good authority Montgomery was reading the tea leaves and saw this as his best opportunity to get playing time. I don't give a GM credit. If he drafted him as a RB he would have switched him to RB right away. 

I have already given Thompson credit for getting rid of Sitton and not really seeing a drop in performance at all there. So he makes tough cuts... all GMs do this... doesn't make Thompson special. I wouldn't put GB's OL as one of the best in the league. If that was the case any RB would look great behind it. Montgomery has looked better lately because he has had much more practice time and film time at RB. Not because the OL suddenly decided to block recently. 

Yes, it has been a successful time under much of his tenure. We are very spoiled as Packer fans. I just think it's time to go. His strategy worked great when he inherited the team but when you have a solid group of guys and an MVP QB you don't keep trading the present for the future. You need to do more than sign FAs in their mid to late 30s to bolster your defense. 

I am a real big fan of Eliot Wolf and think he'd be a great combination of drafting and FA signings that this team needs to win now

Curious as to why you are a big fan of Eliot Wolf. What has he shown that makes you a big fan? How much influence has he had in the recent drafts that you want TT fired for?

And IIRC there were reports that the Packers drafted Montgomery with the thoughts he could be a RB/WR hybrid type player. They saw him as a 3rd down back. Many other GMs considered him one as well. And as to why they didn't try him there earlier? He was hurt most of last season, much more than the Packers let on as his off-season surgery showed. His rookie season was pretty much a lost season.

Every time I read anything by Pipes, in my head it is always in Lord Varys voice. 

Curious as to why you are a big fan of Eliot Wolf. What has he shown that makes you a big fan? How much influence has he had in the recent drafts that you want TT fired for?

And IIRC there were reports that the Packers drafted Montgomery with the thoughts he could be a RB/WR hybrid type player. They saw him as a 3rd down back. Many other GMs considered him one as well. And as to why they didn't try him there earlier? He was hurt most of last season, much more than the Packers let on as his off-season surgery showed. His rookie season was pretty much a lost season.
I am familiar with him more than the average fan for a variety of reasons I won't go into. He does well at evaluating talent. One big thing that I appreciate about him is that he is a fan of building through the draft but he understands the importance of sprinkling in some FAs to supplement poor draft picks. This is something Thompson does not do, so when he blows a 1st round DL pick, our DL hurts with a bad player or a street FA until he can fill that with a new draft pick. Eloit Wolf has had very minimal influence on recent drafts. Wolf and Thompson do not see eye to eye. Thompson does not want or take Wolf's advice. The recent draft busts are 100% on Thompson. 

Thompson is a good GM. He has had a great career with the Packers; perennial playoff team, divisional titles, etc. What is frustrating is that he absolutely refuses to sign significant FAs unless they are in their mid 30s or his hand is forced. He waits and waits and if the guy is still there then "I guess we should sign him." Thompson absolutely refuses to make some moves unless he is forced to. Julius Peppers is a good example. Drafting Eddie Lacy is a good example too... could it be more obvious that he tried everything he could to NOT draft Lacy? it was only when he slipped to us at the end of the 2nd round that he was pretty much forced to take him. On a side note... could you imagine if we had drafted Bell instead. WOW! Not a knock on Thompson, just playing the what-if game... Rodgers and Bell would be so incredibly ridiculous

I don't expect people without the know that I have to like him or see him as a better option than Thompson. The objective person/fan without extra information would look at this and say, you have a playoff team every season. You are in a superbowl conversation frequently. You know what you have in Thompson. Why would you risk all of that for an unknown? Yeah, it's a legitimate question. I am pleased that GB has a good history and good people involved. I don't think it's wrong to want more/better than a yearly playoff team that's out in round 1 or 2. Not when you have an MVP/HOF QB that is getting into his mid 30s very soon

Don't you know it seems to go that you don't know what you've got till its gone.
This is exactly the problem. I was discussing this with a patient yesterday. We were laughing at how spoiled us Packer fans are. To go from Favre to Rodgers. From Ron Wolf to Ted Thompson. 

To be divisional winners almost every season. Playoff team with realistic super bowl aspirations year in and year out. And yet we are complaining that our GM and HC aren't good enough. What a rough fan base to be a part of. I'm completely part of the problem here, and I realize that. Maybe I'm just a greedy fan that wants the unrealistic. Maybe Wolf would be a complete disaster. That's very possible. What can a 30 something know that a 60 something doesn't? Do we really want to sell the farm for a huge big name FA (Suh comes to mind). No... that's not what I want... those moves destroy franchises. Maybe that's what Wolf would do and 3 years into his tenure we're all screaming for Thompson to be back similar to how we were wanting McCarthy to take back the play calling when he gave it up after receiving flak for his play calling. 

I can openly admit that what I want is possibly unrealistic and maybe would be a complete disaster for the franchise. I just wish Thompson would show some fire and desire to win now and sign 1-2 moderately priced guys to help push us over the top. A CB, LB and DL would go a long way. I feel like there are always some decent LBs that would not break the bank and would provide us with an instant upgrade. But instead we are stuck with what we have, Matthews and 2 underwhelming (so far) 4th round draft choices. Maybe they can turn into something someday. The problem is it would be nice to be set now at LB and not in 2-3 seasons

This is exactly the problem. I was discussing this with a patient yesterday. We were laughing at how spoiled us Packer fans are. To go from Favre to Rodgers. From Ron Wolf to Ted Thompson. 

To be divisional winners almost every season. Playoff team with realistic super bowl aspirations year in and year out. And yet we are complaining that our GM and HC aren't good enough. What a rough fan base to be a part of. I'm completely part of the problem here, and I realize that. Maybe I'm just a greedy fan that wants the unrealistic. Maybe Wolf would be a complete disaster. That's very possible. What can a 30 something know that a 60 something doesn't? Do we really want to sell the farm for a huge big name FA (Suh comes to mind). No... that's not what I want... those moves destroy franchises. Maybe that's what Wolf would do and 3 years into his tenure we're all screaming for Thompson to be back similar to how we were wanting McCarthy to take back the play calling when he gave it up after receiving flak for his play calling. 

I can openly admit that what I want is possibly unrealistic and maybe would be a complete disaster for the franchise. I just wish Thompson would show some fire and desire to win now and sign 1-2 moderately priced guys to help push us over the top. A CB, LB and DL would go a long way. I feel like there are always some decent LBs that would not break the bank and would provide us with an instant upgrade. But instead we are stuck with what we have, Matthews and 2 underwhelming (so far) 4th round draft choices. Maybe they can turn into something someday. The problem is it would be nice to be set now at LB and not in 2-3 seasons
Some of us older guys (me and DW) are very much aware of how spoiled we are. Living through the years of Forrest Gregg, Starr, Bratz and others - those were brutal years on and off the field. One doesn't soon forget Dan Devine trading two 1sts and 2 2nds for John Hadl.  I also think its unfair to say Thompson NEVER trades up and NEVER signs FA's.  Charles Woodson and Ryan Picket helped bring us a Lombardi. Cook, Peppers, Guion and a few street guys are all pieces to the puzzle this season. Its not easy filling a roster with Rodgers/Mathews salaries on your books and a big free agent bust can kill a team for more than one season. Finally, I think it shows a strong bias not to credit Thompson for drafting a rookie of the year in the second round. To actually use that as a criticism of Thompson because he didn't draft Lacy earlier? You have to be able to see how silly that is.

Some of us older guys (me and DW) are very much aware of how spoiled we are. Living through the years of Forrest Gregg, Starr, Bratz and others - those were brutal years on and off the field. One doesn't soon forget Dan Devine trading two 1sts and 2 2nds for John Hadl.  I also think its unfair to say Thompson NEVER trades up and NEVER signs FA's.  Charles Woodson and Ryan Picket helped bring us a Lombardi. Cook, Peppers, Guion and a few street guys are all pieces to the puzzle this season. Its not easy filling a roster with Rodgers/Mathews salaries on your books and a big free agent bust can kill a team for more than one season. Finally, I think it shows a strong bias not to credit Thompson for drafting a rookie of the year in the second round. To actually use that as a criticism of Thompson because he didn't draft Lacy earlier? You have to be able to see how silly that is.
I was very happy with the pick at the time. But I couldn't help but feel like GB was trying to NOT draft Lacy. Many of my acquaintances were furious he didn't draft him in the 1st round. I remember specifically saying to them, he will be there in the second. And he was. But then Thomspon traded down out of 55 to 61. As if to say, someone else take this guy so I don't have to. Denver was an obvious potential landing spot, but they took Ball which I thought was odd. When he was there at 61 he kind of had to take him. 

This is obviously speculation, so maybe that was his intention and projection all along, that he could get Lacy at 61. I have no idea. But it was puzzling at the time and his actions seemed to suggest that he didn't want to take Lacy. I give him credit for finding a gem in round 2, but I have the opinion that he took him because he had to, not because he wanted to. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that Damarious Randall is going to play a big part in whether the Packers win or lose in the playoffs. 

That's what's so frustrating about Thompson essentially eschewing free agency.  His hit rate when he does dabble is very good. A little more of that would be great without breaking the bank with some monster moves. 

Man in the yellow hat said:
Anyone that thinks the Packers are successful despite Thompson and not because of him just ins't paying attention. He has built this team, for better or worse. 
I never said that. I said they are currently winning in spite of his poor preparation at RB. I have heard legitimate arguments stating that he drafted Montgomery as a hybrid player, and if that's a fact then I would say okay, great, I never knew that. I am not sure if he ever envisioned him being a bulk carrying guy but that's not a bad thing to have a player out perform your expectation. What I was saying is that without Montgomery they would not be in a playoff race, or even looking at making a run in the playoffs. I have knowledge that it was Montgomery that suggested getting some playing time at RB when they were in desperate need, not the other way around. And if Thompson drafted him as a potential RB then you'd think he'd have a coach or himself approach Montgomery to switch. That's why I hold my opinion. I am paying attention; I'm paying attention to people I know who are close to the situation. 

I do agree, Thompson built this team and it has been successful for so many years largely in part to his abilities. However, I don't think it's too much to ask a little more dabbling into the FA market since he has been so successful and those pieces he has grabbed have proven to be integral parts of playoff/super bowl teams. One could argue if he did it a tiny bit more we'd have more super bowl teams

I never said that. I said they are currently winning in spite of his poor preparation at RB. I have heard legitimate arguments stating that he drafted Montgomery as a hybrid player, and if that's a fact then I would say okay, great, I never knew that. I am not sure if he ever envisioned him being a bulk carrying guy but that's not a bad thing to have a player out perform your expectation. What I was saying is that without Montgomery they would not be in a playoff race, or even looking at making a run in the playoffs. I have knowledge that it was Montgomery that suggested getting some playing time at RB when they were in desperate need, not the other way around. And if Thompson drafted him as a potential RB then you'd think he'd have a coach or himself approach Montgomery to switch. That's why I hold my opinion. I am paying attention; I'm paying attention to people I know who are close to the situation. 

I do agree, Thompson built this team and it has been successful for so many years largely in part to his abilities. However, I don't think it's too much to ask a little more dabbling into the FA market since he has been so successful and those pieces he has grabbed have proven to be integral parts of playoff/super bowl teams. One could argue if he did it a tiny bit more we'd have more super bowl teams
No argument on the free agent side. I agree. He's been largely successful when he's done it, and three guys are playing key roles right now in Peppers, Guion, and Cook. It's a bit of a misnomer that he never uses free agency, as other suggest. But I do agree they could add more vets to plug some holes. 

I will also say the sentiment on poor running back preparation just doesn't hold water with me. What evidence was there that James Starks was going to nose dive this season? None. He had been productive leading up to this year, and was slotted to be a reliable backup running back. Eddie Lacy looked great before the injury, and you had Ripkowski for some beef as the lead blocker. It sure seems like the plan was to use Montgomery in the backfield all along. But likely not as much as they were forced to because of injury. The fact is, the Packers knew what they had. A hybrid player that showed skills out the backfield at Stanford. If this guy saw it, rest assured the NFL scouts saw it too:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2410048-how-ty-montgomery-can-avoid-becoming-nfls-next-cordarrelle-patterson#

Again, necessity forced Montgomery into a more prolific RB role, but I think the team knew what they had here.

It's likely the same reason they only kept 3 inside linebackers. Because they had a plan to use Burnett at ILB as a hybrid type player. The subsequent hammering of the secondary with injuries scuttled that plan a bit, but Burnett has played there in coverage situations and done well. 

Man in the yellow hat said:
Anyone that thinks the Packers are successful despite Thompson and not because of him just ins't paying attention. He has built this team, for better or worse. 
I don't think anyone here is saying that.

Users who are viewing this thread