What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Green Bay Packers thread (2 Viewers)

Except both you and SB would be wrong. Rodgers was not upset at McCarthy and the conservative play calling. Rodgers was upset at the miscommunication at the line. Half the line was blocking as a pass play and half were blocking as if a run play. 
Well calling half a run play is even worse.  

Dave Bakatari signing a 4 year extension. Huge move by Ted to keep one of the younger OL men on the team and maybe the key one being the left tackle. IMO Tretter is the next lineman to resign with the Packers.

Except both you and SB would be wrong. Rodgers was not upset at McCarthy and the conservative play calling. Rodgers was upset at the miscommunication at the line. Half the line was blocking as a pass play and half were blocking as if a run play. 
I used to be a big MM defender but have done a complete 180 since the Seattle collapse 2 years ago.  I really hope he turns it around and maybe the offense was a little rusty but the offensive performance was very disappointing on Sunday.  MM and Rodgers have seemed out of sync for quite some time now.  Nice win though but will need to play much better offensively to win this week.

Dave Bakatari signing a 4 year extension. Huge move by Ted to keep one of the younger OL men on the team and maybe the key one being the left tackle. IMO Tretter is the next lineman to resign with the Packers.
Have not seen the numbers.  He has had his ups and downs, but certainly not just some turnstile.  If Spriggs works out...that gives them depth at long as they have Bulaga or a building block at the tackle position.  Tretter and Linsley being interior depth at this point and will see how Taylor works out...not a bad start for him this past weekend.

Oh, and color rush for GB...all white apparently.  At least they didn't try some all yellow crap.

sho nuff said:
Have not seen the numbers.  He has had his ups and downs, but certainly not just some turnstile.  If Spriggs works out...that gives them depth at long as they have Bulaga or a building block at the tackle position.  Tretter and Linsley being interior depth at this point and will see how Taylor works out...not a bad start for him this past weekend.

Oh, and color rush for GB...all white apparently.  At least they didn't try some all yellow crap.
Ups and downs... not sure about that. The only weakness in his game is against elite bull-rushers.

Despite playing against Matthews, Peppers, Jones, Daniels, Martinez... lots of talented linebackers and lineman... reports were that Bahktiari stoned everything in training camp. That's high praise and pretty impressive. His extension is well deserved.

Ups and downs... not sure about that. The only weakness in his game is against elite bull-rushers.

Despite playing against Matthews, Peppers, Jones, Daniels, Martinez... lots of talented linebackers and lineman... reports were that Bahktiari stoned everything in training camp. That's high praise and pretty impressive. His extension is well deserved.
Oh, I like him...solid LT and Im not knocking him too much.  He isn't some stud...but is certainly a solid young player worthy of extending.

Oh, I like him...solid LT and Im not knocking him too much.  He isn't some stud...but is certainly a solid young player worthy of extending.
That's how I feel.  It was an overpay, there is no doubting that, but they needed to do it and getting some of it on this year's cap helps.  He is not a top 5 LT but he's getting paid like one.  I'd assume Bulaga will be gone after this year and Spriggs will play RT.  

Wow, only $51M for four years. That's fantastic. He was making peanuts this year (300k) so if you think about it as a five year contract starting now it's $10M per year but only $17M guaranteed.  Another wonderfully team-friendly deal from Ted Thompson (think Jordy's 2nd extension many years ago when we got him for below the price of a top-end WR). This is a good deal right now but a steal if the cap goes up any further.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how I feel.  It was an overpay, there is no doubting that, but they needed to do it and getting some of it on this year's cap helps.  He is not a top 5 LT but he's getting paid like one.  I'd assume Bulaga will be gone after this year and Spriggs will play RT.  
I rarely look at where some of the contracts rank unless they are just off the charts high.  Within a few months, other guys will sign and he will likely be in line with where he ranks talent wise.  Just the nature of when the deal gets done which puts his contract in that spot.

Now I'm curious who is prioritized next.  There are so many players coming up for extensions. I'm guessing Peppers will retire (or walk) so that frees up $10M right there. Tretter and Lang have to be up there in priority. Lacy is a good candidate since decent RBs can be had for <$5M/year lately.  Datone Jones and Nick Perry are both making solid cases. Hyde is definitely worth his current salary. So many good players.... they really need to take advantage this year.

Now I'm curious who is prioritized next.  There are so many players coming up for extensions. I'm guessing Peppers will retire (or walk) so that frees up $10M right there. Tretter and Lang have to be up there in priority. Lacy is a good candidate since decent RBs can be had for <$5M/year lately.  Datone Jones and Nick Perry are both making solid cases. Hyde is definitely worth his current salary. So many good players.... they really need to take advantage this year.
Tretter...I can see them waiting on Lang.  If Taylor works out, Linsley comes back and they have Tretter locked up.  Likely see Lang test FA and if they have the chance to match they might.  Though, id guess they let him walk if those other thigns rok out.

Not sure Lacy...unless he signs a very friendly deal for the Pack.

I just read somewhere that Bak graded out as the ninth best pass blocking tackle in the NFL last season, and 5th purely among left tackles. I'll see if I can find it. If that is true, I don't think this is an overpay all. I also have to believe the guy will still get better. He's young.

Tretter...I can see them waiting on Lang.  If Taylor works out, Linsley comes back and they have Tretter locked up.  Likely see Lang test FA and if they have the chance to match they might.  Though, id guess they let him walk if those other thigns rok out.

Not sure Lacy...unless he signs a very friendly deal for the Pack.
They will get 10M from Peppers and another 3-5M, based on the cap penalty, if they release Bulaga.  I assume the next priority is Tretter.  Wouldn't be surprised if they let Lang walk which clears up another 6M.  I could see the line next year being Bahk, Taylor/draft pick, Tretter, Linsley, Spriggs.  

I just read somewhere that Bak graded out as the ninth best pass blocking tackle in the NFL last season, and 5th purely among left tackles. I'll see if I can find it. If that is true, I don't think this is an overpay all. I also have to believe the guy will still get better. He's young.
He's solid.  He is not special. The Packers were 4th in the league with 29 holding calls against them, in 2015, (the average is 22) and he had 7 of them, along with 4 false starts and 1 illegal formation.  Those are just the calls accepted.  Bahktiari, alone, accounted for over 10% of all the penalties called against the Packers and was the 7th most penalized lineman in the league.  Now, I would much rather have him hold someone then let them hit Rodgers but the guy is a penalty machine

Pipes said:
I used to be a big MM defender but have done a complete 180 since the Seattle collapse 2 years ago.  I really hope he turns it around and maybe the offense was a little rusty but the offensive performance was very disappointing on Sunday.  MM and Rodgers have seemed out of sync for quite some time now.  Nice win though but will need to play much better offensively to win this week.
Me too. Used to love him.  But I soured after that game.  It was gutless.  He took the ball out of the best player in the NFLs hands.  

sho nuff said:

Except of course white isn't a color.  I think all green would have been cool.  

:bs:   Mike turtled up and thought he could withstand the storm.  He was wrong.  He never took any responsibility for it either.  He played not to lose... and lost the game for them.  

Last edited by a moderator:
They just needed to recover a crappy onside kick. Bostick blew that game-- not MM. 
We've gone over this before but they got way too conservative in the 2nd half.  The defense generated a boatload of turnovers and the offense could only get FG's out of them.  That game should've been out of reach long before the 4th quarter collapse...that's what championship teams do. There is a lot of blame for that game and Bostick is high on the list but the fact of the matter is the entire team played tight in the 4th quarter and in my mind that starts at with the coach.

It's not just MM but the entire offense stunk last year and yes Clement started off with the play calling but it didn't get any better once MM took over.  No creativity, same old boring play calling over and over.  To me getting rid of Kuhn was the best thing ever so MM is no longer tempted to run Kuhn up the gut in short yardage situations.

Anyway I'm done bagging on coach Mac as I'm looking forward to 2016.  There is a lot to be optimistic about.  Go Pack Go!

:bs:   Mike turtled up and thought he could withstand the storm.  He was wrong.  He never took any responsibility for it either.  He played not to lose... and lost the game for them.  
I think he took responsibility last year when he decided to give up playcalling because he didn't have enough oversight over the rest of what went on.

To claim any one person or thing lost that game is just so off base.

What is up with the quote function :unsure:

Anyone here defending MM think he should have gone for 2 after the Rodgers/Janis hailmary in AZ? He is the epitome of conservative play calling, IMO.
I can see both sides of 2.  Right away...heat of the moment I wanted him to.

They talked the other day about it...they didn't like anything without 3 WR sets to run a 2 pt conversion.  They had 2 WRs at that point because Janis was gassed...Rodgers too was gassed after celebrating the TD pass.  He made that decision based on that.

I think he took responsibility last year when he decided to give up playcalling because he didn't have enough oversight over the rest of what went on.

To claim any one person or thing lost that game is just so off base.
Plenty of blame to go around but the Buck stops with Mike.  If you want to give him credit for winning a super bowl, you have to acknowledge that he lost them opportunities at winning more.  

Can any GB fans give me an assessment of the TE position after week one?  I had high hopes for Cook but it looks like he's splitting time with Richard Rogers.  It did look like Cook was on the field in the red zone a couple times though. 

I think the Jags are a very up and coming team and wouldn't surprise me at all if they win their division. So I think it was a good win. I did hate how terrible we were on 4th down defense, but nice road win to start off the season. Rodgers the TE still looks slow but he's got fantastic hands. I personally expected us to work the middle of the field more, but rarely did. I said it last year and first game still missing those quick slants and Cook down the seam. Rodgers the QB was also on the move a lot, our Oline, is going to be a question mark all season I think. That Sitton move is going to loom over us, wasn't a good move and will continue to be an issue for us. Hopefully we improve quickly because Minny has a real D and they are going to bring the pressure. Definitely not trying to be a downer, but I am a realist and has great as Rodgers is if he's constantly under pressure he won't be as effective. Just mho. 

Didnt feel like he was in the move due to pressure...especially  quick pressure.  Seemedore the typical, nobody open so ill scramble a bit and look.

Taylor seemed to hold up quite well. 

Tretter hopefully is the next guy in line. I don't see Lang back unless he takes a deal in Packers favor. Bulaga stays around as he is a solid vet and they have cap room.

Next year line has many options. Bak/Taylor/Tretter/Buluga/Spriggs,     Bak/Taylor/Tretter/Spriggs/Bulaga;  Bak/Tretter/Lindsey/combo of Bulaga/Spriggs. They have some freedom to move guys around. Plus there will be another lineman that is drafted some where in the draft.

Hyde should be next they need to keep the depth and he is a huge weapon back there as he can move around to different spots.

Lacy should be resigned but it will be later after the other two are done.

One of Jones or Perry will be brought back, we need to be looking for a player that this spot. Claymaker is getting old, Peppers will be gone and really no person to carry the torch after them.

Tretter hopefully is the next guy in line. I don't see Lang back unless he takes a deal in Packers favor. Bulaga stays around as he is a solid vet and they have cap room.

Next year line has many options. Bak/Taylor/Tretter/Buluga/Spriggs,     Bak/Taylor/Tretter/Spriggs/Bulaga;  Bak/Tretter/Lindsey/combo of Bulaga/Spriggs. They have some freedom to move guys around. Plus there will be another lineman that is drafted some where in the draft.

Hyde should be next they need to keep the depth and he is a huge weapon back there as he can move around to different spots.

Lacy should be resigned but it will be later after the other two are done.

One of Jones or Perry will be brought back, we need to be looking for a player that this spot. Claymaker is getting old, Peppers will be gone and really no person to carry the torch after them.
Perry is starting to look better and better.  He shows up well in run support and puts pressure on the QB here and there too.

Perry is starting to look better and better.  He shows up well in run support and puts pressure on the QB here and there too.
Agreed he is looking better. Issue is Clay is going to soon start to show age and we don't have another outside rusher to pick up the production.

Agreed he is looking better. Issue is Clay is going to soon start to show age and we don't have another outside rusher to pick up the production.
First game moving back to outside linebacker Clay gets a big sack. Man, his sack numbers would be crazy if he hadn't been playing ILB the last two seasons. Another 15 at least. 

They just needed to recover a crappy onside kick. Bostick blew that game-- not MM. 
Yea 12 things had to go exactly wrong for them to lose that game, yet morons still blame McCarthy. I've never been a big McCarthy fan, but that game was not even close to being his fault.

sho nuff said:
Didnt feel like he was in the move due to pressure...especially  quick pressure.  Seemedore the typical, nobody open so ill scramble a bit and look.

Taylor seemed to hold up quite well. 
Quite right. He had plenty of time to throw, then bought himself and the receivers time time as needed. I never got the impression that overwhelming pressure was causing him to move. 

Bob McGinn rated the O line four stars, and had this to say about Taylor:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2016/09/13/mcginn-rating-packers-jaguars/90259854/

Lane Taylor was a portrait of intensity and focus as he took several final sets on the field moments before kickoff. It was his first game as the man at left guard, and he made a favorable impression. He passed off stunts two or three times with veteran aplomb. He moved people on a pair of short-yardage runs. He outmuscled some defenders, depositing them on the ground. Of 22 straight dropbacks, Taylor had help 12 times and was by himself 10 times. He faced five different rushers on those 10 one-on-one’s, with DE Jared Odrick the leader with three. He allowed 1 1/2 pressures of the mere four yielded by the unit; his only terrible play in pass pro was a whiff against DT Malik Jackson. His “bad” run count was two halves for a total of one.

The Sitton move may still hurt, but based on week 1, I don't know how anyone could say that.

I will also say...wtf is up with all these attempts at running outside.

That last drive. ..2nd and 2 and a slow developing shot gun toss play to lacy?

Power runs were having decemt success. ..didnt get that call at all.

Also those blamimg MM for being conservative. ..they mentioned on the broadcast that Rodgers audibled into the run to Starks and the OL didn't get call and were pass blocking.

Or it actually applies to the conversation.

What does the san fran Ds record against GB years ago have to do with Cutler against GB and last Thanksgiving being an outlier?
What do past defenses that aren't returning all 11 players against offenses not returning all 11 players have to do with anything? Even then, are all players playing at the same level they were previously? Same level of health? Then luck factors in.

If you want to, you can pick holes in any argument. 

While we're on it, not sure what a Charles Woodson or Tramon Williams or BJ Raji or etc led defense has to do with it either.

Fun game

Im sure i can pick holes in how tour defemse has anything to do with Cutlers bad record against a Capers run Packers defense.

You are struggling mightily...like Cutler has historically done against Capers defense in Green Bay.

What does a "Tour defemse" have to do with anything?

Packers fans in 2015 "Rodgers' weapons are at the problem."

Packers fans about Cutler "It's Cutler's fault, he sucks."

Ironic... 

Randall is a bust.  They need to get his ### out of there.  He's terrible.  Doesn't even look like he's trying when chasing Diggs down.   Garbage.  Get him out.  

Quite possibly his worst game yet.  Hope this opens the coaches eyes on him.  

The offensive line got owned badly in this one.  

Is McCarthy starting to sprout a Gin Blossom?  

Quite possibly his worst game yet.  Hope this opens the coaches eyes on him.  

The offensive line got owned badly in this one.  

Is McCarthy starting to sprout a Gin Blossom?  
You are still whining about Randall?  Rodgers was awful in this game.  Oline was not owned badly.  They had a few bad plays...but overall not nearly as bad as you are claiming.

Rodgers looked bad.  His passes were off...floated that INT, and fumbled twice.

MM needs to do something and it should start with being told feed Lacy the ball more and quit getting cute with these outside runs and shot gun inside runs to Starks near the goalline or 4th and short.

Users who are viewing this thread