What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Oakland Raiders Regular Season Thread (1 Viewer)

So you came around, then?

Holmes is on his 4th team in 4 years. There's usually a reason teams give up on a player. When 3 teams do it, that's a pretty big red flag. He looked awful in the first preseason game when Schaub threw a backhsoulder throw and he was clueless of it coming, his body and hands were completely unprepared for the ball. He's been inconsistent at best in training camp and some of the beats openly questioned whether his roster spot was secure. Now it seems he's at least locked up a roster spot, but doghouse guys like Denarius are outperfoming him in games where it matters. We haven't seen much of Streater this preseason, and that's a good thing if you haven't drafted yet. I agree with cstu's prediction for Streater. He's put on a lot of muscle to his frame and still has the 4.4 speed. He now looks like an Andre Johnson clone. A poor man's Johnson, no doubt, but Schaub is going to vapor lock on him a lot. I think 1000 yards is a baseline assuming he doesn't get hurt. Holmes is JAG. Lot of hype built off a nationally televised breakout performance with Matt McGloin throwing to him often on Thanksgiving. As a Raider, I'm rooting for him to be a stud, but I'll be putting my fantasy chips on Streater when money is on the line.
:)

Hey I deserve that. I was wrong. But I cleared my head, quietly jumped on the Holmes train when he was still for free over his bye week. Carr is a helluva QB and has a strong connection with Holmes. Back shoulder throws are money. Now if Holmes could just clean up the dropsies...hey, what am I complaining about 28 points in PPR, right?

:excited:

Everybody seems focused on Holmes but I think Butler deserves some praise as well. He showed great wheels on the TD and I think he is a play maker.

Will Reggie twiddle his thumbs and let another core player walk? Wis is in the last year of his contract and I haven't heard a peep from the front office about their intentions.

What will it take for Sparano to move to the top of the list as the Raider's next coach? 4 wins and all the losses are within 7 points? More W's? Less?

The Raiders should have won that game last week--a little better throw by Carr and we likely scored the go ahead TD with less than a minute left.

Will Reggie twiddle his thumbs and let another core player walk? Wis is in the last year of his contract and I haven't heard a peep from the front office about their intentions.

What will it take for Sparano to move to the top of the list as the Raider's next coach? 4 wins and all the losses are within 7 points? More W's? Less?

The Raiders should have won that game last week--a little better throw by Carr and we likely scored the go ahead TD with less than a minute left.
Hate to break it to you, but if Reggie ever had any intention of extending Wiz, he'd have done so by now. Unless Reggie is fired, I think he's just playing out his Raider stint. As if we needed another reason to ####can Reggie.

As for Carr's late INT, he threw into double coverage late against his body, ignoring James Jones breaking free on the opposite side against blown coverage. He had a great game, but he made a rookie mistake that gave away a game we should have won. It's the painful truth and I don't think there's a bigger Carr fan than me.

Hate to break it to you, but if Reggie ever had any intention of extending Wiz, he'd have done so by now. Unless Reggie is fired, I think he's just playing out his Raider stint. As if we needed another reason to ####can Reggie.

As for Carr's late INT, he threw into double coverage late against his body, ignoring James Jones breaking free on the opposite side against blown coverage. He had a great game, but he made a rookie mistake that gave away a game we should have won. It's the painful truth and I don't think there's a bigger Carr fan than me.
There is still plenty of time to sign Wis, and maybe the next GM will be smart enough to use a tag on him.

I agree, Carr's throw was late and he should have taken the underneath route. Disappointing? certainly. But overall I am encouraged thus far in Carr. He just has to show he can leRn from his mistakes.

There is still plenty of time to sign Wis, and maybe the next GM will be smart enough to use a tag on him.

I agree, Carr's throw was late and he should have taken the underneath route. Disappointing? certainly. But overall I am encouraged thus far in Carr. He just has to show he can leRn from his mistakes.
Boy o Boy....we Raider fans will take any crumb we can get lol

Are we shopping the #1 overall pick yet?
Do you think they will trade it? It's almost certain they get it. Only a couple winnable games on the schedule. At Browns, at Seahawks and vs the Bills are their 3 best chances and they'll likely only win one of those.
:lol:

Do I think they will trade it? Yes. Do I hope they will trade it? Yes.
I just hope Reggie is not the person making the decision.

For all the complaining about losing Veldheer it is interesting to note that the Raiders have given up the fewest sacks in the NFL with only 5. By comparison Arizona has given up 11 on 5 fewer pass attempts.

The Raiders are the worst rushing team in the league at 69.3 yards/game and 26th in Y/A at 3.7 but Arizona is 26th in yards at 91.8 but 30th in Y/A at 3.4

Maybe losing Veldheer wasn't the big deal everyone thought it would be.

For all the complaining about losing Veldheer it is interesting to note that the Raiders have given up the fewest sacks in the NFL with only 5. By comparison Arizona has given up 11 on 5 fewer pass attempts.

The Raiders are the worst rushing team in the league at 69.3 yards/game and 26th in Y/A at 3.7 but Arizona is 26th in yards at 91.8 but 30th in Y/A at 3.4

The Cards seem pretty happy with Veldheer from what I have read and I don't believe he has given up a sack this year. He is also 4 or 5 years younger than Penn. The whole offseason plan of letting guys that could contribute for the next 5-6 years walk and signing guys that are either already done or can contribute for 1-2 more years was completely moronic.

Agreed, and if Reggie's not fired at the end of the season, say goodbye to Wiz too. He probably jumps ship anyway, but with Reggie in charge, forget it!

The Cards seem pretty happy with Veldheer from what I have read and I don't believe he has given up a sack this year. He is also 4 or 5 years younger than Penn. The whole offseason plan of letting guys that could contribute for the next 5-6 years walk and signing guys that are either already done or can contribute for 1-2 more years was completely moronic.
He may not have given up a lot of sacks. I do remember reading somewhere though that he has given up a lot of QB pressures.

Veldheer already called out by Arians, and Bears are terrible excited about Houston.

Solid players that may not be worth the money.

Reports are that Winston is definitely coming out this year. Despite his issues, all it takes is one team to be head-over-heels with him, and we could get a King's ransom.

Of course, the Raiders will probably take him instead, which is like hiring Kevin Harvick to drive a Yugo.

Reports are that Winston is definitely coming out this year. Despite his issues, all it takes is one team to be head-over-heels with him, and we could get a King's ransom.

Of course, the Raiders will probably take him instead, which is like hiring Kevin Harvick to drive a Yugo.
I think the only bright spot this season is Carr. And to a lesser extent Mack. I say build around these two guys and trade the pick to the team that covets Winston or Mariota

Last edited by a moderator:

Veldheer already called out by Arians, and Bears are terrible excited about Houston.

Solid players that may not be worth the money.
Veldheer has been struggling in through the first part of the season. In each of the four Card games I have watched he has been called for at least one holding penalty, and in one game he gave up a sack. That said, it sends a very bad message to the team when you let what is considered a core player walk for nothing, and the management does not even use a tag on him. Player's know that they are playing in the minors and need to wait until their next contract for more money and better opportunity to win.

commitment to failure

BTW, the Raiders could have kept Veldheer without over paying by simply using the transition tag. Instead we heard that Veldheer "didn't want to be here." Good message to send the remaining players. You want out of this $hitty situation, just ask.

Granted, Penn has played decent, but it is still a piss poor message to the team.

Reggie has to go. Mark Davis can't put back the words that came out of his mouth in the preseason. This team had to improve with a full set of draft picks and over $60 million in cap space to go out and recruit the best free agents. Reggie sat on his hands when the Saffold fiasco blew up in his face, and watched top free agent talent fly off the board. His backup plan was to hire on as many old washed up scrubs and still overpay them to come here. Oh and leave ~$13 million unspent to bring in anyone worth a lick. Mark said it, and if he keeps his word, Reggie has no excuses or alibis at the close of this season to save his job. He's been a total failure.

Bruno2 said:
Raider Nation said:

I think the only bright spot this season is Carr. And to a lesser extent Mack. I say build around these two guys and trade the pick to the team that covets Winston or Mariota
I would also like to add Moore to Carr and Mack. Sio Moore has looked really good this year. We have a good young OLB group in Mack and Moore. Now we just need a solid MLB to complete the linebacker core. I would be concerned about Roach's future with his concussions and Burris just plain sucks. I don't want to go into next season with Burris as the main backup to Roach again.

You just counted 3 players out of 53. I could probably add 4 or 5 more. That's not a core to build on, that's a disaster. Thanks Reggie.
I could add more also. I would put Gabe Jackson in there. I think he will be a stud G for the Raiders. I would put Carrie in there. I don't know how far he will go on the CB depth chart it may take a few years to find out, however he has been a real nice returner for the Raiders.

I'm still not closing the door yet on Hayden and Watson.

But yea the Raiders have a ways to go before we even start considering talking about playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playoffs and Raiders have no business being in the same sentence together. This team lacks so much in talent. Seems like it is the same questions year after year.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Reggie has to go. Mark Davis can't put back the words that came out of his mouth in the preseason. This team had to improve with a full set of draft picks and over $60 million in cap space to go out and recruit the best free agents. Reggie sat on his hands when the Saffold fiasco blew up in his face, and watched top free agent talent fly off the board. His backup plan was to hire on as many old washed up scrubs and still overpay them to come here. Oh and leave ~$13 million unspent to bring in anyone worth a lick. Mark said it, and if he keeps his word, Reggie has no excuses or alibis at the close of this season to save his job. He's been a total failure.
The fact that he brought in perennially hurt, never was, scrub WR V. Brown tells me he has no capacity to learn.

Raiderfan32904 said:
The fact that he brought in perennially hurt, never was, scrub WR V. Brown tells me he has no capacity to learn.
Tuck and Woodley were good signings.

Users who are viewing this thread