What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Oakland Raiders Regular Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on the Raiders taking Watson @ 5?

I feel we have bigger needs but if Watson's game translates to the NFL then he would solve a big need for an offensive playmaker.
Do you mean Sammy Watkins?

If so I woule love Sammy Watkins @5. I'm a HUGE fan of his.

Yes, sorry. I meant Watkins.

I am really warming up to the idea. Maybe it is a chance for a do over for picking Russell over CJo.

Boy that was a major gaffe.

32 Counter Pass said:
Yes, sorry. I meant Watkins.

I am really warming up to the idea. Maybe it is a chance for a do over for picking Russell over CJo.

Boy that was a major gaffe.
I'd love to draft Watkins and I wouldn't rule it out since my hunch is that we attack Defense in FA and Offense in the draft. However, I'd prefer to trade down and take Evans and an extra pick.

You mean Watkins? Well, it's much more important to draft good players than a certain position, for sure, so if he is the goods, heck yeah.

But Mann, I have a sneaking suspicion that a good QB would make Streater and Moore look good. Bridgewater and Clowney are my two favorites, but if both are gone, I might prefer Mack or Barr.

I also dont watch much college, and was fine with JaMarcus over Calvin, so that's the kind of dumbbarse you see posting before you.

How much of a possibility is it for Oak to draft Greg Robinson if the QB they want isn't there?

How much of a possibility is it for Oak to draft Greg Robinson if the QB they want isn't there?
I think it is definitely a possibility. I think the Rams will take him though if they do not trade the 2 pick. Of course this would not even be a question right now if Veldheer was franchised like he should have been and already had signed a long term deal which he likely would have done. Too early to tell though really depending on if the Raiders sign one of the good left tackles in FA. Hopefully that happens and then they can use the 5 pick on a QB, Watkins or a defensive player.

Arizona supposedly very interested in Veldheer. Fully expecting him to walk at this point. What an absolute joke that he was not tagged. I have zero confidence in this regime to do the right thing in almost any situation.

Yup, not tagging JV is baffeling. Could be a big step backwards for the Raiders, despite a pocket full of money.

Looks like we will loose Houston as well.

One player that may fit into Reggie's paradigm is Jarred Allen. Could come below market price and offers an immediate pass rush upgrade.

Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsider50 mins

Sources predict for tackle market: Albert to Dolphins, Veldheer to Cardinals, Saffold to Raiders,. Collins to Buccaneers, Monroe to Ravens

Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsider50 mins

Raiders have been talking with several tackles, including Monroe and Saffold. Buccaneers have talked with Saffold and Collins.

The Baltimore Sun reports the Raiders are expected to sign free agent T/G Rodger Saffold "for roughly $8 million per year."
The Raiders must value Saffold over in-house free agent LT Jared Veldheer, as the report states the Cardinals are expected to sign Veldheer for "between $7 million and $7.5 million." Saffold has generally been stretched as a starting left tackle in the league. He's fared better at right tackle and most productively at guard. Versatile but injury prone, Saffold would certainly be locked into the blindside in Oakland if they're going to shell out that kind of money.

What a disgrace if true.

Saffold great guard, meh LT, gets hurt a lot.

Good luck, would have liked to have kept him in STL, as a guard, but figured someone would pay him stupid money (just a figure of speech) as a LT. Surprised they didn't just keep Veldheer.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I have this right the Raiders got rid of Barksdale who took Saffold's tackle spot in St. Loius and are about to pay a ton of money to Saffold. Genius.

Barksdale was a blue chip recruit at LSU and OAK third rounder.

He could price his way out of an extension and reprise Saffold leaving in 2015.

In fairness, I think STL OL position coach Paul Boudreau is pretty good and may have coached up Barksdale.

* Paying Saffold $8 mil per season could be like $1 mil a game? :)

29. Reggie McKenzie - Raiders

“Just wait till the Raiders get cap space” has been the most common refrain from McKenzie’s (surprisingly numerous) defenders. Well now the Raiders have it. Roughly $65 million of it. What was McKenzie’s first move with it? Letting his two best free agents, LT Jared Veldheer and ascendant RE Lamarr Houston, reach the open market. It was a baffling decision from the overseer of by far the league’s least-talented roster, but McKenzie has made no shortage of baffling decisions since replacing Hue Jackson. McKenzie’s ineptitude has been most striking on draft weekend. If there’s one thing the Raiders had in 2013, it was available playing time for young players. That’s why it was simply stunning that of the 16 draft picks McKenzie made between 2012-13, two played more than 353 snaps last season, TE Mychal Rivera and LB Sio Moore. None played more than 622. Again, there wasn’t a team in the league with less veteran talent, but there wasn’t a team in the league giving less playing time to young talent. Fourth-round QB Tyler Wilson was released before Week 1. That’s simply unheard of for a mid-round quarterback. On the free agency front, let’s just say McKenzie literally signed Alex Barron, and that he almost made the team. McKenzie finally has cap space, but nothing he’s done in his first two years on the job suggests he has a clue.

Rotoworld ranked Reggie as the worst GM in the league. The reason they only ranked 29 is because there are 3 new GMs. I can not argue with the ranking.

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB:

The Raiders will be one of the most interesting teams in free agency. They have a league-record $65 million in cap space available as of this morning, and two very significant free agents, both of whom I hear are very interested in testing the market and getting a golden parachute out of Oakland: tackle Jared Veldheer and defensive end Lamarr Houston.

So if you’re looking for a team this week to throw wild money at a couple of players, look for Oakland to lead the parade. Why? The Raiders have to spend. I’ve written about this the past couple of weeks, but the Raiders illustrate the importance of the rule in the 2011 CBA about minimum spending. In the four seasons between 2013 and 2016, every team in the league has to spend at least 89 percent of its cap limit. So the Raiders must think about extending their own players and signing some from the outside so they account for most of that $65 million of space this year. That’s why Oakland, despite having a GM in Reggie McKenzie, who’s not a big fan of throwing around millions that aren’t his, could be a big player this week.

Would I like Veldheer back, sure. Houston, maybe. But if the GM of the Raiders, and the staff under him want to:

A. Take the risk of not signing them because of the available talent or replacements they can get in free agency or the draft.

B. Refuse to pay top dollar only because they have it in their pocket

C. Want to wait for the Free Agency market to set the value of the players for the season

or

D. Know something about these players and their potential that we as normal fans don't have a clue about....

Then, sobeit. Because someone has the money to spend doesn't mean they should spend it all on the first free agent they can get. Whether from their team or the next.

Most of us were the same guys complaining when Davis was handing out lottery ticket contracts to everybody that could run a sub 4.50 40.... Now we want the money to start flowing again when we have finally, for the firs time in over a decade, got out of salary cap hell. Patience is a hard word to swallow. But lets give the Raiders the opportunity to get through the offseason before we hold them to our '20/20 hindsight' standard for not signing or keeping certain players.

Would I like Veldheer back, sure. Houston, maybe. But if the GM of the Raiders, and the staff under him want to:

A. Take the risk of not signing them because of the available talent or replacements they can get in free agency or the draft.

C. Want to wait for the Free Agency market to set the value of the players for the season

or

D. Know something about these players and their potential that we as normal fans don't have a clue about....

Then, sobeit. Because someone has the money to spend doesn't mean they should spend it all on the first free agent they can get. Whether from their team or the next.

Most of us were the same guys complaining when Davis was handing out lottery ticket contracts to everybody that could run a sub 4.50 40.... Now we want the money to start flowing again when we have finally, for the firs time in over a decade, got out of salary cap hell. Patience is a hard word to swallow. But lets give the Raiders the opportunity to get through the offseason before we hold them to our '20/20 hindsight' standard for not signing or keeping certain players.
This is not hindsight. There is no excuse for Veldheer not being franchised. If his replacement is Saffold that is a disgrace. What has Reggie done in two years to earn the benefit of the doubt? His record so far is piss poor on talent evaluation.

or

This is not hindsight. There is no excuse for Veldheer not being franchised. If his replacement is Saffold that is a disgrace. What has Reggie done in two years to earn the benefit of the doubt? His record so far is piss poor on talent evaluation.
Was drafting something saying the same thing. I think Reggie has to answer for not tagging Houston and JV. The replacements are secondary.

or

Kaso, the common thread between Davis' wild spending sprees and Reggie's failure to tag Veldheer /Houston is that NFL front office people universally questioned the moves. When Davis was signing Javon Walker for stupid money every person with front office experience said it was foolish. Same with Reggie's actions here. Again, at least using the transition tag would have given the Raiders rights for first refusal.

Just letting two of the best players on a roster severely lacking in talent deserves an explanation. Even more egregious is that the Raiders have the cap space to compete for both players' services . This really makes Reggie appear like he is in over his head. I hope I am wrong.

or

Kaso, the common thread between Davis' wild spending sprees and Reggie's failure to tag Veldheer /Houston is that NFL front office people universally questioned the moves. When Davis was signing Javon Walker for stupid money every person with front office experience said it was foolish. Same with Reggie's actions here. Again, at least using the transition tag would have given the Raiders rights for first refusal.

Just letting two of the best players on a roster severely lacking in talent deserves an explanation. Even more egregious is that the Raiders have the cap space to compete for both players' services . This really makes Reggie appear like he is in over his head. I hope I am wrong.
Maybe I missed it (this sounds jerkish, but not my intent), but I don't recall reading anything from anybody with front office experience saying that not using the tags on Veldheer or Houtson was universally questioned.

And I think that's just the misconception. The lack of using the tags have been blown up by the media and forced everybody to believe that Reggie hasn't made solid offers to either of those players and their agents. But nobody knows the real reason that either player hasn't been retained. Is it a lack of offer, or strong hold position by the player/agent as they waited to hear how the salary cap would increase this season? There are far more to these negotiations then we will ever know.

The Raiders have always held their moves close to their chest and rarely release any real news. So the fanbase is left to draw conclusions on limited information. I land on the side that Reggie is still making the moves he feels is right for the team. Short term and long term. Regardless if you agree with all the moves or not, and I don't, he has earned credit with me for the pure fact that he both took the job, and got the Raiders out of their salary cap mess within just 2 years. I'll give him some time to run his system and plan now that he has some shackles removed.

And the argument of 'spend the money because you have the money to spend' doesn't make any sense to me. Do you know anybody that walked onto a used car lot and said, I have $25,000 to spend, give me the best car I can afford? or, I know that car is only worth $19,000 in today's market, but I'm willing to pay $25,000 because I have the money in the budget and the need for that vehicle?

<script language='javascript'> </script>

or

Maybe I missed it (this sounds jerkish, but not my intent), but I don't recall reading anything from anybody with front office experience saying that not using the tags on Veldheer or Houtson was universally questioned.

And I think that's just the misconception. The lack of using the tags have been blown up by the media and forced everybody to believe that Reggie hasn't made solid offers to either of those players and their agents. But nobody knows the real reason that either player hasn't been retained. Is it a lack of offer, or strong hold position by the player/agent as they waited to hear how the salary cap would increase this season? There are far more to these negotiations then we will ever know.

The Raiders have always held their moves close to their chest and rarely release any real news. So the fanbase is left to draw conclusions on limited information. I land on the side that Reggie is still making the moves he feels is right for the team. Short term and long term. Regardless if you agree with all the moves or not, and I don't, he has earned credit with me for the pure fact that he both took the job, and got the Raiders out of their salary cap mess within just 2 years. I'll give him some time to run his system and plan now that he has some shackles removed.

And the argument of 'spend the money because you have the money to spend' doesn't make any sense to me. Do you know anybody that walked onto a used car lot and said, I have $25,000 to spend, give me the best car I can afford? or, I know that car is only worth $19,000 in today's market, but I'm willing to pay $25,000 because I have the money in the budget and the need for that vehicle?
If he used the tag on Veldheer he probably would have signed a long term deal already. The tag would have given the Raiders a strong bargaining position as most players would prefer to sign a long term deal rather than play on a one year contract. It seems to me that he never had any intention of bringing back Veldheer or Houston because they were not guys he brought in. It also should be noted that not only is there a salary cap, but teams have to spend a certain percentage of that cap, so he has to spend money somewhere. That is scary given his track record so far in the talent evaluation department.

I was completely in wait and see mode. And I still am I guess.

But if the numbers I am reading for Veldheer and Saffold are right, I don't get it.

Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area reports the Giants have made an offer to free agent Rashad Jennings.
Per reporter Fallon Smith, Jennings is "waiting on Oakland to make their move now." The Giants re-signed Peyton Hillis to a two-year, $1.8 million contract Tuesday, but definitely need another body or two in their backfield. Depending on David Wilson's health, Jennings would have lots of touches at his disposal in New York.

Related: Giants

Source: Fallon Smith on Twitter

I was completely in wait and see mode. And I still am I guess.

But if the numbers I am reading for Veldheer and Saffold are right, I don't get it.
Reggie is great minority of GM's leaguewide that considers Saffold a tackle. To pay more for a guard and hope to convert him to a tackle and let one of your home grown go like that is disgraceful. I don't think there will be a good explanation if Veldheer joins the Cardinals.

not tagging JV was stupid. plain and simple. at least transition tag him.

i'll call it now, schaub to watkins with saffold letting in the blitz :X

Man I hate to pile on but I'm utterly fascinated by this story. The Raiders are the laughing stock of the league on NFL net and ESPN and twitter. They gave Roger fn Saffold more money than Veldheer got! Good friend of mine/Raider fan said it best....there is a reason Reggie McKenzie never got a GM job. The guy is completely clueless and clearly in way over his head.

I feel bad for you guys.

Twitter:

Retweeted by Vic Tafur

mary veldheer ‏@mommagolfer 24m
J is off to AZ. We're excited about the future. THANKYOU to Raider Nation for being so great to us! Sadly negotiations were not even close
Retweeted by Vic Tafur

mary veldheer ‏@mommagolfer 23m
@MichaelZipser sorry mike. We will miss Oakland. I don't think RM really wanted him back. The offer was nowhere near the Saffold deal.
Retweeted by Vic Tafur

mary veldheer ‏@mommagolfer 20m

@raiders343 A fair offer from the Raiders never happened. Nothing near the Saffold deal. We will always ❤️ Raider Nation.

I guess Reggie and Mark think they are in the comedy business and not the win business.

:kicksrock:

Reggie's offer to JV wasn't even close. Embarrassing.

L Murrey and K Sheets value with D McFadden on a one year deal?
I think the Raiders will see what they have with Murray, regardless of who they resigned. With it being DMC, Murray will likely get his shot sooner rather than later, but he's still a flier.

Sheets seems like a depth only guy to me. I'm not burning a roster spot to find out either way.

At the moment, M. Reece is probably still the best RB on their roster.

OK so both Veldheer and Houston walk. All I heard from some people is we could not overpay these guys. Well, the deals they got seem pretty reasonable to me, especially the Veldheer deal. As I said in an earlier post I do not think Reggie had any intention of bringing either player back.

We did, however, completely overpay for a guy who lost his right tackle job to a guy we got rid of (Barksdale) and who almost everyone in the NFL views as a guard. Oh and he is always hurt.

Through the last 11 years I was always excited for the season and always had optimism until last year heading into week 1. Well now I think this is rock bottom. Actually rock bottom will probably be when Reggie completely screws up the draft.

What was the point of burning the place to the ground over the last two years? To let our best players walk and overpay for Saffold?

It might take longer to dig out of the mistakes of the Reggie McKenzie era than it did at the end of Al.

I am completely and thoroughly disgusted today.

Users who are viewing this thread