What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Pittsburgh Steelers Off & ON Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

this needs to get out of the Steelers system quick. Ben knee surgery. Adams gets knifed, and now Justin King to IR. not a great start.

Id love to get McGahee. I think because of those years in BAL backing up Rice, he's fresher than most 31yr old RBs of his talent level. 4.6 YPC avg the last couple years, and really his knee injury last yr was his 1st major injury as a pro. He's been surprisingly durable, and he is good all around, which is something you cant say about any Steelers RB besides Bell.

Here is a player I will be watching.

Brian Arnfelt. Undrafted DE from Northwestern.

thirty-eight repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press (tied with SMU’s Margus Hunt for the highest number recorded at this year’s NFL combine) would have made a noteworthy workout on their own, were they not paired with a 4.43 short shuttle run, a 31-inch vertical leap and a 4.81 40-yd dash
http://www.insidenu.com/2013/05/10/former-northwestern-defensive-tackle-brian-arnfelt-pushes-himself-to-new-physical-heights-at-the-next-level/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't too excited...then read the latest issue of Steelers Digest and listened to Black and Gold radio on the way in to work. EXCITED!! :excited:

Just gotta hope the first 6 OL stay healthy. Pretty bad after that. Think Golic Jr stands a chance of sticking because of his versatility.

Bouchette thinks Beachum could win a starting job. With Adams still recovering from the gunshot wound I wonder if that gives Beachum a leg up?

Bouchette thinks Beachum could win a starting job. With Adams still recovering from the gunshot wound I wonder if that gives Beachum a leg up?
It wasnt a GSW, he was stabbed, and they said 6 week recovery. Its been nearly 8 weeks, and I dont think this is the type of thing where it should take longer for the actual injury (or surgery/incision if there was any) to heal. At this point he likely just needs to continue strengthening his core and he likely wont be a full participant in camp until thats the case. Id guess he's a full participant by the 3rd preseason game. If Beachum plays good enough to win a starting job, he'll be starting over Foster not Adams I believe.

Wasn't too excited...then read the latest issue of Steelers Digest and listened to Black and Gold radio on the way in to work. EXCITED!! :excited:

Just gotta hope the first 6 OL stay healthy. Pretty bad after that. Think Golic Jr stands a chance of sticking because of his versatility.
huh didnt know this existed. will have to check in out.

It wasnt a GSW, he was stabbed, and they said 6 week recovery. Its been nearly 8 weeks, and I dont think this is the type of thing where it should take longer for the actual injury (or surgery/incision if there was any) to heal. At this point he likely just needs to continue strengthening his core and he likely wont be a full participant in camp until thats the case. Id guess he's a full participant by the 3rd preseason game. If Beachum plays good enough to win a starting job, he'll be starting over Foster not Adams I believe.
right, stabbing. too many things going on. he won't be ready at the start of camp (which is pretty much now of course). your timetable could be right. As far as Foster vs Adams, I wouldn't bet on it. Foster has proven capable whereas Adams has not. And Tomlin gives benefit of the doubt to known entities.

From Lolley:

On the good news front, offensive tackle Mike Adams passed the run test Friday and is ready to go. Adams has been given full clearance to play after being the victim of a stabbing in front of his home about six weeks ago.
:towelwave:

JoeSteeler said:
3C said:
Guess we won't be seeing much (any) of Ebernasty out there.
What happened?
Rookie offensive guard Nik Embernate suffered a serious knee injury during Thursday's one-on-one practice drills, getting rolled up by defensive end Cordian Hagans.

Embernate, who had a serious chance to make the roster, immediately grabbed for his knee upon going down and was on the ground for several minutes before being taken from the field on a cart.

A number of veteran players, including Brett Keisel and Maurkice Pouncey, stopped by while drills were continuing - they just moved the drill over while trainers worked on Embernate - to give some words of encouragement to the young man.

How about a little good news via Labriola: In the RB vs LB pass drill, Le'Veon cannot be covered. And Prisuta: Steelers also took a look at RB Le'Veon Bell as a slot receiver in a no-huddle, empty set with the first-team offense. Also hearing good things about Justin Brown and Shamarko is coming along nicely. Again from Labs: Last guy off the field Wed. AM: @justinbrown19 Rookie WR has some soft hands. When the ball hits his hands, sounds like hitting a pillow.

Brown might make Plaxico expendable.

How about a little good news via Labriola: In the RB vs LB pass drill, Le'Veon cannot be covered. And Prisuta: Steelers also took a look at RB Le'Veon Bell as a slot receiver in a no-huddle, empty set with the first-team offense. Also hearing good things about Justin Brown and Shamarko is coming along nicely. Again from Labs: Last guy off the field Wed. AM: @justinbrown19 Rookie WR has some soft hands. When the ball hits his hands, sounds like hitting a pillow.

I find that unlikely. Burress and Ben have a good chemistry and he will be utilized down by the goal line. I expect Burress to have a bit of a re-emergence to the tune of about 8 TD's.

I find that unlikely. Burress and Ben have a good chemistry and he will be utilized down by the goal line. I expect Burress to have a bit of a re-emergence to the tune of about 8 TD's.
Depends on how many receivers they keep and who can do returns. JBrown is a decent returner. Of course Dunn is a very good returner but can't even catch a cold. Think they'd like to avoid having the top 2 WR do returns. Plax sure won't. Cotchery won't. :shrug:

Cortez Allen had "minor knee surgery" today. They expect him back in a few weeks, should be ready for the opener.

This hurts - as a first-time full-time starter, he needed all the reps he can get. With Van Dyke injured as well - they basically are down to Taylor, Curtis Brown, and Josh Victorian as far as guys who have actually seen NFL snaps? A weak position group gets weaker.

Here is a player I will be watching.

Brian Arnfelt. Undrafted DE from Northwestern.

thirty-eight repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press (tied with SMU’s Margus Hunt for the highest number recorded at this year’s NFL combine) would have made a noteworthy workout on their own, were they not paired with a 4.43 short shuttle run, a 31-inch vertical leap and a 4.81 40-yd dash
http://www.insidenu.com/2013/05/10/former-northwestern-defensive-tackle-brian-arnfelt-pushes-himself-to-new-physical-heights-at-the-next-level/
LATROBE – The first day of contact football was a big day for a couple of Steelers rookies.

And while Jarvis Jones will go on to at least see spot duty with the first team this season, and Le’Veon Bell will probably go on to become a starter by the end of camp, only one rookie is consistently playing on the second team right now.

And you’ve probably never heard of Brian Arnfelt.

“I’m just doing what I’m told,” the undrafted Arnfelt said when asked how, who, what, or why the Steelers installed him as the second-team left defensive end on the first day of spring practice.

He’s stayed there ever since, so it couldn’t have just been a case of going in alphabetical order.

Arnfelt played defensive tackle at Northwestern, like Corbin Bryant before him. Of course, the Steelers had Bryant on their practice squad the last two years before losing him to Buffalo.

Arnfelt was a team captain at Northwestern as a senior, his only year as a starter. That’s because a broken right foot cost him his junior year, and he came back at the end of the season to start the bowl game against Texas A&M. Arnfelt had 5 tackles in the game and was later voted the “Ultimate Wildcat” Award for the way he overcame adversity.

As a senior, Arnfelt had 3 sacks, and at his pro day ran a 4.81 40 with 38 reps on the bench press and a 31-inch vertical jump. Those are numbers that would’ve fit with any and all of the combine athletes, but the 6-4¾, 303-pounder wasn’t bothered by the snub.

“I ended up being in a great situation so there are no complaints here,” he said.

Arnfelt was born and raised in Lake Elmo, Minnesota, a northeast suburb of St. Paul. He didn’t do a lot of ice fishing, but “I did a lot of ice hockey. I played hockey up until my junior year. Spending all game in the penalty box isn’t too fun.”

Arnfelt was an “enforcer” in high school, like his hero, the late Derek Boogaard. The position was thrust upon him because he got so big. And then he got too big for the game and concentrated on football.

He went to Northwestern, another ice box, this one on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago. He earned a degree in communications and a Masters in Sports Administration. He finished the work from Pittsburgh during spring practices, but isn’t too worried about where it’s taking him.

“Who knows where it’ll go?” he said. “I’m just focusing on being a Pittsburgh Steeler for now.”

He also doesn’t know where that will go. While he’s big, strong, quick and on Monday was spotted pushing David DeCastro into the backfield to slow a sweep, Arnfelt realizes he’s still a long shot here in Pittsburgh.

Line coach John Mitchell is keeping his young nose tackles hungry by installing the overachieving Arnfelt on the second team. In doing so, Mitchell’s giving veteran defensive end Al Woods some game-day flexibility by working Woods at second-team nose tackle. But while Arnfelt might be temporary filler, Mitchell hasn’t felt inclined to use any of the other rookies at LDE. So Arnfelt plugs away.

“It’s a great opportunity here in Pittsburgh,” he said. “I think Pittsburgh’s a class act organization. The coaching here is great. The veteran players have been phenomenal, helping out. So I really do feel happy to be here and blessed to be in a great situation.”

No pranks from the wily vets? Only wisdom?

“No pranks yet, but don’t hold me to that throughout camp,” Arnfelt said with a laugh. “But, yeah, I think it’s just the fundamentals. When you see guys like Brett (Keisel) and Ziggy (Hood), you see their fundamentals are so good, their hands are always inside, how quick they are with their feet, their footwork, their pad level. I think that’s what it really comes down to. You look at their consistent play. It’s just phenomenal. It’s awesome.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1311551.html

Sup with Bell.... sell me on him as a 5.01 pick.
FWIW he's basically been the star of training camp so far. Really earning the respect of the Steelers D and the local beat writers have been gushing over him. Looks like he's on track to be the opening day starter, but of course that all depends on how the preseason goes as well.

bell...let's see. best so far with the zone read, catches everything, is nimble enough to avoid tacklers and big enough to run over them. biggest concern is pass protection and he's done pretty well there too.

Cortez Allen had "minor knee surgery" today. They expect him back in a few weeks, should be ready for the opener.

This hurts - as a first-time full-time starter, he needed all the reps he can get. With Van Dyke injured as well - they basically are down to Taylor, Curtis Brown, and Josh Victorian as far as guys who have actually seen NFL snaps? A weak position group gets weaker.
This is why I thought it was very important to re-sign Keenan Lewis and was pushing hard for it (not like I had any influence on it getting done though!). I like a starting duo of Ike and Cortez the Killer, but if one goes down, it doesnt look pretty...at all. Our CB position, or lack of depth, might honestly be the thing that prevents us from making the playoffs IMO, or not going far in the playoffs if we get there.

That said, youre forgetting about Willie Gay. I tend to enjoy forgetting that he is a Steeler again as well, but he is at least better than Brown, Victorian, et al.

Don't know much about him but can't be worse than Whimper and the other backups.

Caplan: Former Cardinals LT/RT D'Anthony Batiste scheduled to work out for the Steelers, source confirms. He started 10 games last season for Cards.

Don't know much about him but can't be worse than Whimper and the other backups.

Caplan: Former Cardinals LT/RT D'Anthony Batiste scheduled to work out for the Steelers, source confirms. He started 10 games last season for Cards.
Or maybe he can be worse. :mellow:

Second-worst pass blocking efficiency of all tackles who played more than 20 snaps last year (Michael Harris 1st).

Some tweets i was reading through today:

James C Wexell @jimwexell 2h
Wolfley told me Pouncey looked a LOT stronger this year. Pounce just said added 15 lbs to 300. No wonder.

Mike Prisuta @DVEMike 7h
Watching LaMarr Woodley Saturday, LBs coach Keith Butler thought "that's probably the old Woodley I'm used to seeing." More at 730 on DVE

David Todd @DavidMTodd 2h
RT @BobLabriola: 2 standouts in backs-on-backers pass: FB Will Johnson as a receiver; ILB Vince Williams in coverage. #Steelers

Users who are viewing this thread