What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Official Dallas Cowboys Thread (1 Viewer)

After last night I'm officially moving to the dark side with Culdeus and Cobolt.

I REALLY like the hustle Kiffin has brought to the team but I also fear he doesn't know how to handle modern passing offenses.

I have always hated Garrett's relationship with romo and the other players. He's way too buddy buddy with them and still acts like he's one of them, rather then the guy who will cut their asses or scold them after a bad play.

We have some nice pieces but we lack in the most important areas, offensive and defensive line.

Oh and another thing - this whole conservative/game manager Romo is crap. He's a gunslinger for good or bad.
This is about as dead on as anything you will ever read. Why for the love of all creatures great and small do people NEVER seem to learn that with Romo, you're most effective play is to let him go out there and attack defenses? He is sharper, Witten is more effective, Dez is more into it. THis is a team that...every once in a while...when they are playing like that, they actually seem to emit that cockiness that the old Cowboys did. That "Yeah, i'm doing this..what you gonna do about it?" kind of vibe. But they get cute/stupid too often.

We get it..It is hard to win down in New Orleans and we know that keeping Brees off the field is a good plan but sometimes you just have to dance with the girl you brought and let these guys do their things. I would much rather lose an exciting game like they did vs. The Broncos than look so poor as they did last night. At least with the Broncos, they had an honest chance to win that game. When they do this stuff, its over early and everyone knows it and then all you have to look forward to is an hour of the announcers panning their cameras on Dez to see if he's going to erupt.

ETA: I'm not even a Dallas Cowboys fan and this stuff torques me. I feel empathy for all the Cowboys fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Embarrassing to see them roll over like that, when are they going to get a real coach?
Given their history over the past 20 years or so, I would say "at the same time they lose their best players like Ware, Witten, Romo, Etc." They are going to ride this group until it breaks and squander legitimate chances.

Like I said a minute a go, I'm not a Cowboys fan and I'm not a Cowboys hater. I just hate to see good resources get squandered. I just have to think that there is a coach out there that could have gotten a better result of this group than what they have rolled out there the last 4-5 years.

After last night I'm officially moving to the dark side with Culdeus and Cobolt.

I REALLY like the hustle Kiffin has brought to the team but I also fear he doesn't know how to handle modern passing offenses.

I have always hated Garrett's relationship with romo and the other players. He's way too buddy buddy with them and still acts like he's one of them, rather then the guy who will cut their asses or scold them after a bad play.

We have some nice pieces but we lack in the most important areas, offensive and defensive line.
This defines someone who should be a coordinator and not a head coach. See Kubiak, G. or Phillips, W.

Turned it off when NO went up 35-10............Agree that Romo needs to be let loose. Add that this team is always so reactionary. one week we dont run the ball well, so the next week we force it. One week Dez gets 3 for 30 or whatever. Next week we force feed him. Its the sign of a team that still doesnt know its identity. Same 'ol situation.

Then theres the D. I mean wow! The injuries have been brutal. But injuries or not, this is an NFL defense............isnt it? That was flat out embarassing.

1st place!.........hahaha! what a joke.

This will be long...apologies in advance. This is how I see things.

First, I don't care if we are first in our crappy division, it's meaningless. We aren't Arizona who is happy to just make the playoffs. We are Cowboys fans, we are about wanting to see our team winning championships. The Cowboys are not even close right now.

Offense

This is my biggest problem at the moment.

-Under Garrett, complete lack of running game.

- No identity.

-Terrible play calling.

-Shameful waste of talent that we have had over the years.

-Years of ignoring the Oline.

Romo...not the problem and likely not going anywhere.

Murray...shows that he is decent if you give him lanes, his durability is a concern.

Dez. His nagging injuries worry me. He looks less explosive then last year. Our coaches have no idea have to scheme him. Bunch or stack formations...no. Motion...no. Moving him around...only when Romo moves him to the slot.

Williams. Good pick.. Wr2 of the future. Gotta work on those drops.

Beasley....love him in the slot.

Witten. Warrior love him, but it's time to move on. I would look at trading or cutting and saving cap.

Hanna...JAG

Escobar...these are the picks that kill this team. JAG.

Smith. Solid LT. Not dominant, but he is more then solid.

Leary. Solid with a wonky knee.

Fred. Fear the beard. Good player, needs help beside him.

Berny...RG needs to be upgraded.

Free...most improved player. Solid but struggles against speed rushers.

Depth is a problem for the entire offense.

The entire coaching staff for the offense needs to be shown the door with Garrett.

Defense

For me it's hard to be upset with this group. Playing with 3-4 starters is something no team can survive.

Still transitioning to the 4-3.

What I don't like is playing so much zone with the corners we have.

Aside from Kiffen, I really like the staff. I'm good with making Marinelli the new DC in the offseason.

I like the hustle and focus on turnovers.

The problem is age, depth and a bunch of holes to fill.

Ware. Too bad we wasted this guys career. We need to think about his replacement soon.

Hatcher. Needs to learn to shut his mouth, but needs to be resigned.

DT opposite Hatch is team need 1a or 1b.

Spencer...see ya.

Selvie...great depth player

Carter. Rough year but I haven't given up on him yet.

Lee. Love him, but health always a problem. Not sure what to think. Just resigned so he s not going anywhere

Durant. Below average. Poor in coverage. Upgrade needed.

Claiborne. You all know how I feel. He gets 1 more year to get his #### together.

Church is a JAG.

Safety...both spots are a need.

Carr. Probably our best player on def. please play more man to man.

Special Teams

Been a pleasant surprise.

They seem well coached and prepared.

Kicking game is great.

No changes needed.

My Dallas Cowboys priorities:

Fire Garrett and the offensive coaches.

Find an offensive minded HC. One who will install an identity hopefully surrounding a run game.

Hopefully the new HC is okay with Marinelli as DC. Fire Kiffen. Continue to run a 4-3. If not, bring in a whole new staff.

Draft and build the offensive and defensive lines. Seriously, stop ####### around with TE's in the second round.

Time to thank some of our vet leaders for their service as the move on. Ware, Witten, Austin.

Find a way to get some noise and atmosphere for home games. Did you hear the Superdome last night. Start making visitors uncomfortable in our house. Right now it's like playing on a neutral field.

I know some of my views are upsetting to other fans as I am not hoping for the playoffs. I actually think it would do more harm then good. It's time to get honest about this team, swallow some pride and go back to the drawing board. Now as painful as it might be...it's the right thing to do for the teams long term success.

I agree with you almost totally. I just feel that playoffs or not this team will never get honest with itself. Jerry lives in a bubble where his team is relevant.

First, I don't care if we are first in our crappy division, it's meaningless. We aren't Arizona who is happy to just make the playoffs. We are Cowboys fans, we are about wanting to see our team winning championships. The Cowboys are not even close right now.

Offense

- No identity.

-Terrible play calling.

Murray...shows that he is decent if you give him lanes, his durability is a concern.

Dez. His nagging injuries worry me. He looks less explosive then last year. Our coaches have no idea have to scheme him. Bunch or stack formations...no. Motion...no. Moving him around...only when Romo moves him to the slot.

Witten. Warrior love him, but it's time to move on. I would look at trading or cutting and saving cap.

Hanna...JAG

The entire coaching staff for the offense needs to be shown the door with Garrett.

Defense

For me it's hard to be upset with this group. Playing with 3-4 starters is something no team can survive.

Aside from Kiffen, I really like the staff. I'm good with making Marinelli the new DC in the offseason.

Ware. Too bad we wasted this guys career. We need to think about his replacement soon.

Spencer...see ya.

Lee. Love him, but health always a problem. Not sure what to think. Just resigned so he s not going anywhere

Claiborne. You all know how I feel. He gets 1 more year to get his #### together.

Church is a JAG.

Special Teams

Kicking game is great.

No changes needed.

Find an offensive minded HC. One who will install an identity hopefully surrounding a run game.

Hopefully the new HC is okay with Marinelli as DC. Fire Kiffen. Continue to run a 4-3. If not, bring in a whole new staff.

Draft and build the offensive and defensive lines. Seriously, stop ####### around with TE's in the second round.

Time to thank some of our vet leaders for their service as the move on. Ware, Witten, Austin.

Find a way to get some noise and atmosphere for home games. Did you hear the Superdome last night. Start making visitors uncomfortable in our house. Right now it's like playing on a neutral field.

I know some of my views are upsetting to other fans as I am not hoping for the playoffs. I actually think it would do more harm then good. It's time to get honest about this team, swallow some pride and go back to the drawing board. Now as painful as it might be...it's the right thing to do for the teams long term success.
No argument here.

They are in salary cap hell for 2014.

2014 Free Agents:

Spencer :bye:

Sims :bye:

Bailey :bye:

Hatcher :bye:

Tanner :bye:

Punter :bye:

And.........

2014 is the final year of Dez Bryant rookie contract.

2014 is the final year of DeMarco Murray rookie contract.

2014 is the final year of Bruce Carter rookie contract.

2014 is the final year of Tyrone Smith rookie contract.

2014 Free Agents:

And.........

Only ones I would try to keep on list A are Hatcher and Bailey..good riddens to the rest

Routilla said:
Bankerguy said:

Offense

- No identity.

-Terrible play calling.

Hanna...JAG

Defense

Spencer...see ya.

Church is a JAG.

Special Teams

Kicking game is great.

No changes needed.

No argument here.
It's hard to argue with any of this. Trouble is, none of it is happening right now. It's offseason stuff. For the rest of this year, the defense is obviously a write-off, so, in order to win games, we'll have to outscore teams. The offense was clicking pretty well the first few weeks. What has happened since the Denver game to turn things so bad?

The offense should be getting better with Murray back and the emergence of Williams and Beasley. I just don't get the mind-boggling gameplans. Why were they successful in the first few weeks and then futile since?

The Man With No Name said:

2014 Free Agents:

And.........

Yup 2014 its time to finally pay for all the bad contracts given to older players. I hope Dallas can find a way to keep Hatcher and Bailey. The punter is nothing special and all the other guys listed will not be signed to big contracts by other teams so there is a chance they could comeback on team friendly contracts. I would gladly say goodbye to Carter but Bryant and Smith have to be resigned. Demarco Murray is an average running back so if he leaves its not the end of the world.

On another note I was shocked at how well Doug Free had been playing based upon his blocking metrics. He is among tops in the league for right tackle. Assuming you can count on him (huge assumption I know since he has tendency to yo-yo each year) the offensive line would be set in 4/5 positions with only right guard position lacking. Furthermore on offense you could likely roll with Dez, Witten, Williams, Harris, and Beasley. Leaving only the RB position in question.

Defense on the other hand............I don't even know where to start.

Ware and hopefully Hatcher

Lee, Durant at LB

Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, and Church

So you likely another DT, DE, LB, FS

Hopefully this draft will have a defensive focus.

I agree with most of what's been said, to varying degrees.

One thing that keeps coming up in my mind, however, is the lack of overall depth. And I look at the 2006 to 2009 drafts and there are only 2 players on the roster now. These guys should be in the prime of their careers. And we've got a big bagel. Its a hole that is too difficult to overcome once attrition takes away the pillars and patches that were there to cover that hole and creates new ones.

I don't fully get why the offense is sucking as bad as it is. The defense is easy to see the problems.

Sigh. This team may hold on and squeak into the playoffs. But its clear that they are a ways away from real competitiveness.

I know that this comment won't be popular, but I do think Garrett has done a lot to upgrade the overall talent and depth that was on this team when he took over. He has changed the attitude of the franchise and gotten guys who fight hard. It is a step in the right direction. But clearly not as big of one as most would like.

2014 Free Agents:

And.........

Over the cap.com already has the Cowboys over the $126 million cap by $19 million for 2014. The only player they could cut which would save significant cap room is Ware which would save about $7 million in cap space. No one else would save more that $2 million by cutting them.

Now I don't know how accurate the $126 million cap number is for next year. If it goes up that will help, but the Cowboys are either going to have to keep deferring salary cap $ through bonuses (which forces them to keep veterans they may not want to keep) or they are going to have to bite the bullet and cut a bunch of veterans and go with a lot of cheap young players for a few years.

I agree with most of what's been said, to varying degrees.

One thing that keeps coming up in my mind, however, is the lack of overall depth. And I look at the 2006 to 2009 drafts and there are only 2 players on the roster now. These guys should be in the prime of their careers. And we've got a big bagel. Its a hole that is too difficult to overcome once attrition takes away the pillars and patches that were there to cover that hole and creates new ones.

I don't fully get why the offense is sucking as bad as it is. The defense is easy to see the problems.

Sigh. This team may hold on and squeak into the playoffs. But its clear that they are a ways away from real competitiveness.

I know that this comment won't be popular, but I do think Garrett has done a lot to upgrade the overall talent and depth that was on this team when he took over. He has changed the attitude of the franchise and gotten guys who fight hard. It is a step in the right direction. But clearly not as big of one as most would like.
Injuries definately show your depth, or lack-there-of............I really dont think this team knows how to approach a full NFL season.

I know its been said over and over, but this starts at the top. The GM is not held accountable cuz he's the owner. Bad drafts. Ignoring personnel needs. etc.........at least jerrah gets big name concerts and crap at the deathstar! The Cowboys will continue to put bandaids on wounds, and be reactive instead of proactive. I dont see anything but .500 football for the forseeable future.

As a sidenote, I thought the Rob Ryan storyline was interesting. How ####### embarrassing. Our offense looked hapless. Beyond hapless! And its not like NO has a world beater defense. But leave it red jesus and co. to make look that way and put a big ####### grin on rob ryans fat face!!!

Im just pissed off right now! losing is one thing, but we didnt belong on the field with NO last night. Injuries are not an excuse!

We're going to continue our mediocre ways until our offense is let loose. I'm sick to death of our scared ### play-calling. It's bad enough that Romo is forever linked to the 4th quarter "choke angle" by the media, but now it seems that our coaching staff believes it. The only reason he was "let loose" last week vs Minnesota was because we were down with barely any time left and they had no choice. I still can't get over how passive we were vs Detroit.

I wish Sean Payton was still in Dallas. If what I've seen all year is an indication, this game will come down to an important series where Dallas will play conservative instead of going for the kill. Said series will result in a punt and Brees will drive for a last second win. But the fan in me is hoping maybe they learned from their mistakes.
They're calling the offense the way they are for two reasons:

One, to try and minimize the dumb moves by Romo.

Two, and more importantly, to protect the defense and keep it off the field. They want to chew up clock, but have no rush offense to speak of, so we get the dink and dunk.

2014 Free Agents:

And.........

who has all their money tied up?

Someone Like Witten or Ware?

Cut!

Bankerguy said:

Offense

- No identity.

-Terrible play calling.

Hanna...JAG

Defense

Spencer...see ya.

Church is a JAG.

Special Teams

Kicking game is great.

No changes needed.

Solid posting, but where is Jerry on this list? With him in control, it seems to make most of this moot.

something is wrong with dez. something with his vertical. He is not getting up for the ball like normal. Is it just me?

2014 Free Agents:

And.........

who has all their money tied up?

Someone Like Witten or Ware?

Cut!
http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Cowboys&Year=2014

Oh and another thing - this whole conservative/game manager Romo is crap. He's a gunslinger for good or bad.
you are spot on. The only way the cowboys make the playoffs is if they turn Tony loose. Down 18 to the saints are you are running the ball, it's not over for the boys, but please turn the lights on and open up the passing game

Funny you mention the agree to disagree, I almost just posted that on my last one.. :)

Cheers man, an yep we'll have to wait to see what happens down the road for those 2.

Revisit this in a few, with a beer on the line.. ;)
Any thoughts now about Dallas' defense?

It is a bit unfair due to the injuries they have had, but just for the record, they are ranked 23rd in points allowed and 32nd (last) in yards allowed.

Meanwhile, Philly's D is actually improving and are ranked 20th in points allowed and 31st (2nd to last) in yards allowed.

After the defense defense I saw last night, winning the division will not happen. Teams will throw all over us with Lee out the next month or so. If we lose the next 3 out of 4 or something like that, I would shut him down till next year.

something is wrong with dez. something with his vertical. He is not getting up for the ball like normal. Is it just me?
I didn't see him jump on his two targets yesterday so I can't agree - If the deep ball that went incomplete is thrown better, I think that's 6. The only other target and he makes a nice grab in double coverage and bounced up real quick try to get extra yardage, and he looked healthy enough. I think the true problem is in the play calling / QB play, not the elite talent who is being out-targeted by Cole Beasly.

After the defense defense I saw last night, winning the division will not happen. Teams will throw all over us with Lee out the next month or so. If we lose the next 3 out of 4 or something like that, I would shut him down till next year.
I guarantee you if you took a teams starting SS and CB and then surrounded them with 9 back ups (2 defensive line starters not on the roster at the start of the season and a late round rookie FS) the results would be similar to last night especially against an elite QB like Brees. The defense was subpar prior to the injuries but is now decimated. They are certainly fighting an uphill battle with Lee out 3-4 weeks, Ware not likely to be 100% etc.

The money quote in BG's excellent post above is that making the playoffs now does more bad than good. I suppose that best captures my feelings at this point. I don't care that we are tied for the division lead because we have demonstrated quite convincingly that we cannot beat a .500 or better team, let alone beat 4 in a row. I'm not interested in accumulating pyrrhic playoff births and tell my kids about the time we backed into the 2013 postseason and lost.

I'd like to see the mindset of building a dynasty, which requires radical change.

Now, we can't get rid of Jerry, of course. But, I do hope the suffering is painful enough that it encourages some soul searching and re-evaluation. Making the playoffs delays that process. So, as a fan, the best thing for this team is to finish 5-11, not 8-8 and win the division.

I would go beyond firing Garrett and his staff, which should be a foregone conclusion. Our window to trade Ware has virtually closed, but maybe someone would be interested in a situational pass rusher. Same with Witten in a similar vein as Gonzo going to ATL. If the right deal came along for Romo, then I would support considering that.

Gut it. Cleanse. Start anew. Go 1-15 next year, I'm fine with that. I'm not going anywhere as a fan. I'll keep buying season tickets, as this team is as much a part of my life as anything outside of my closest friends and family. But, this is a team screaming to be rebuilt from top to bottom, so let's actually get busy doing exactly that. It starts with revamping the coaching staff, but that alone won't do it. I've maintained since before the draft that our primary problem is a talent deficit and second is our cap situation that prevents us from addressing the talent issue. Rebuilding has to address these core issues, otherwise we are simply handing over a broken system to hamstring the new regime that comes in next year.

I hope Ginger lands a good college gig. He has a lot to learn about being a head coach, and what better place to learn than the college game. I wish him the best. But he has to go, as this is beyond his current ability level.

The money quote in BG's excellent post above is that making the playoffs now does more bad than good. I suppose that best captures my feelings at this point. I don't care that we are tied for the division lead because we have demonstrated quite convincingly that we cannot beat a .500 or better team, let alone beat 4 in a row. I'm not interested in accumulating pyrrhic playoff births and tell my kids about the time we backed into the 2013 postseason and lost.

I'd like to see the mindset of building a dynasty, which requires radical change.

Now, we can't get rid of Jerry, of course. But, I do hope the suffering is painful enough that it encourages some soul searching and re-evaluation. Making the playoffs delays that process. So, as a fan, the best thing for this team is to finish 5-11, not 8-8 and win the division.

I would go beyond firing Garrett and his staff, which should be a foregone conclusion. Our window to trade Ware has virtually closed, but maybe someone would be interested in a situational pass rusher. Same with Witten in a similar vein as Gonzo going to ATL. If the right deal came along for Romo, then I would support considering that.

Gut it. Cleanse. Start anew. Go 1-15 next year, I'm fine with that. I'm not going anywhere as a fan. I'll keep buying season tickets, as this team is as much a part of my life as anything outside of my closest friends and family. But, this is a team screaming to be rebuilt from top to bottom, so let's actually get busy doing exactly that. It starts with revamping the coaching staff, but that alone won't do it. I've maintained since before the draft that our primary problem is a talent deficit and second is our cap situation that prevents us from addressing the talent issue. Rebuilding has to address these core issues, otherwise we are simply handing over a broken system to hamstring the new regime that comes in next year.

I hope Ginger lands a good college gig. He has a lot to learn about being a head coach, and what better place to learn than the college game. I wish him the best. But he has to go, as this is beyond his current ability level.
I thought we had discussed unrealistic options and how ridiculous they make you look. Great call to blow up the whole team for pennies on the dollar. You do not simply find a qb after going 1-15 and then expect to compete for the superbowl (since as you mentioned a playoff berth means nothing) the following year. Do you not remember the pre Romo years? Is your vision that clouded? Try rooting for Quincy Carter for a couple of years again before suggesting selling Romo (top 12 QB). For the sake of argument lets look at the Panthers they got a GREAT QB in Cam Newton (certainly not the norm) and now in his THIRD year he is finally starting to put it together so your 1-15 plan needs to be adjusted for a least 2-4 years. Are you serious? Also what is so puzzling to me is that you have been highly critical of Jerry Jones and his acquisitions through the draft and free agency (rightfully so at times) and yet you are trusting him in your rebuild plan to suddenly become a guru because of soul searching after a bad season?

I thought we had discussed unrealistic options and how ridiculous they make you look. Great call to blow up the whole team for pennies on the dollar. You do not simply find a qb after going 1-15 and then expect to compete for the superbowl (since as you mentioned a playoff berth means nothing) the following year. Do you not remember the pre Romo years? Is your vision that clouded? Try rooting for Quincy Carter for a couple of years again before suggesting selling Romo (top 12 QB). For the sake of argument lets look at the Panthers they got a GREAT QB in Cam Newton (certainly not the norm) and now in his THIRD year he is finally starting to put it together so your 1-15 plan needs to be adjusted for a least 2-4 years. Are you serious? Also what is so puzzling to me is that you have been highly critical of Jerry Jones and his acquisitions through the draft and free agency (rightfully so at times) and yet you are trusting him in your rebuild plan to suddenly become a guru because of soul searching after a bad season?
Serious question: How old are you?

serious answer 33

serious answer 33
Ok, so that's actually surprising to me, since it means you were old enough to have lived through our 1-15 season in 1989. I'm older than you by nearly 10 years, and I certainly remember the era before Quincy Carter. What I recall is that a team mired in mediocrity (seasons of 9, 10, 7, 7, 3 wins respectively between 84-88) traded the then-27-year-old stud workhorse RB in the middle of the 89 season (the best player on its team) to the Vikings for a slew of picks. Dallas went on to lose 15 games that year. They fared a little better but still had a losing record in 90. And even the next year lost in the divisional round. But, by that point, the new culture and players had taken root and formed the beginning of its little mini-dynasty.

This team is nowhere close to building a SB contender, and Romo (who already has a penchant for injury) is soon going to be on the wrong end of 35. Like Herschel 25 years ago, I would not advocate trading our best player for pennies on the dollar, but if the right deal came along, one that sets up the foundation for the future, it would be irresponsible to pass on a deal for Romo. Moreover, you have an even worse argument for retaining Witten and Ware who clearly are in the twilight of their careers. We can ride these next couple years out with 5-to-8-win seasons and bid them farewell to retirement and get nothing from them, or we could try to salvage something of value and work toward correcting a broken financial model by moving forward without them.

Or we can choose to continue to tinker around the margins, as we have for what seems like an eternity.

serious answer 33
Ok, so that's actually surprising to me, since it means you were old enough to have lived through our 1-15 season in 1989. I'm older than you by nearly 10 years, and I certainly remember the era before Quincy Carter. What I recall is that a team mired in mediocrity (seasons of 9, 10, 7, 7, 3 wins respectively between 84-88) traded the then-27-year-old stud workhorse RB in the middle of the 89 season (the best player on its team) to the Vikings for a slew of picks. Dallas went on to lose 15 games that year. They fared a little better but still had a losing record in 90. And even the next year lost in the divisional round. But, by that point, the new culture and players had taken root and formed the beginning of its little mini-dynasty.

This team is nowhere close to building a SB contender, and Romo (who already has a penchant for injury) is soon going to be on the wrong end of 35. Like Herschel 25 years ago, I would not advocate trading our best player for pennies on the dollar, but if the right deal came along, one that sets up the foundation for the future, it would be irresponsible to pass on a deal for Romo. Moreover, you have an even worse argument for retaining Witten and Ware who clearly are in the twilight of their careers. We can ride these next couple years out with 5-to-8-win seasons and bid them farewell to retirement and get nothing from them, or we could try to salvage something of value and work toward correcting a broken financial model by moving forward without them.

Or we can choose to continue to tinker around the margins, as we have for what seems like an eternity.
In all fairness I was 9 years old and didn't really understand the NFL. Also that team was served by the fact there was no salary cap. Feel free to call me a homer but I think a team with better depth and a healthy Ware, Ratliff, Spencer, and Hatcher, Claiborne, as well as Miles Austin and Waters would be a superbowl contender. I mean they took Denver, Kansas City to the wire missing a lot of the aforementioned guys. This team needs change in the form of retooling not rebuilding. Jerry's biggest downfall is his loyalty which compels him to overpay older players. In doing so it severely restricts the quality of depth. In todays NFL injuries are going to happen and you have to have depth. With that being said if injuries stack up like the defensive line this year there is pretty much nothing you can do. I still want Garrett. Hope he doesn't get fired.

serious answer 33
Ok, so that's actually surprising to me, since it means you were old enough to have lived through our 1-15 season in 1989. I'm older than you by nearly 10 years, and I certainly remember the era before Quincy Carter. What I recall is that a team mired in mediocrity (seasons of 9, 10, 7, 7, 3 wins respectively between 84-88) traded the then-27-year-old stud workhorse RB in the middle of the 89 season (the best player on its team) to the Vikings for a slew of picks. Dallas went on to lose 15 games that year. They fared a little better but still had a losing record in 90. And even the next year lost in the divisional round. But, by that point, the new culture and players had taken root and formed the beginning of its little mini-dynasty.This team is nowhere close to building a SB contender, and Romo (who already has a penchant for injury) is soon going to be on the wrong end of 35. Like Herschel 25 years ago, I would not advocate trading our best player for pennies on the dollar, but if the right deal came along, one that sets up the foundation for the future, it would be irresponsible to pass on a deal for Romo. Moreover, you have an even worse argument for retaining Witten and Ware who clearly are in the twilight of their careers. We can ride these next couple years out with 5-to-8-win seasons and bid them farewell to retirement and get nothing from them, or we could try to salvage something of value and work toward correcting a broken financial model by moving forward without them.

In all fairness I was 9 years old and didn't really understand the NFL. Also that team was served by the fact there was no salary cap. Feel free to call me a homer but I think a team with better depth and a healthy Ware, Ratliff, Spencer, and Hatcher, Claiborne, as well as Miles Austin and Waters would be a superbowl contender. I mean they took Denver, Kansas City to the wire missing a lot of the aforementioned guys. This team needs change in the form of retooling not rebuilding. Jerry's biggest downfall is his loyalty which compels him to overpay older players. In doing so it severely restricts the quality of depth. In todays NFL injuries are going to happen and you have to have depth. With that being said if injuries stack up like the defensive line this year there is pretty much nothing you can do. I still want Garrett. Hope he doesn't get fired.
Well Ratliff has already been released - which isn't a bad thing. DTs are usually only elite for about 6 years.

Question- are you not concerned that since Garrett has taken charge the offense has gotten worse each year ?

Are you not concerned that he's all buddy buddy with the players?

serious answer 33
Ok, so that's actually surprising to me, since it means you were old enough to have lived through our 1-15 season in 1989. I'm older than you by nearly 10 years, and I certainly remember the era before Quincy Carter. What I recall is that a team mired in mediocrity (seasons of 9, 10, 7, 7, 3 wins respectively between 84-88) traded the then-27-year-old stud workhorse RB in the middle of the 89 season (the best player on its team) to the Vikings for a slew of picks. Dallas went on to lose 15 games that year. They fared a little better but still had a losing record in 90. And even the next year lost in the divisional round. But, by that point, the new culture and players had taken root and formed the beginning of its little mini-dynasty.This team is nowhere close to building a SB contender, and Romo (who already has a penchant for injury) is soon going to be on the wrong end of 35. Like Herschel 25 years ago, I would not advocate trading our best player for pennies on the dollar, but if the right deal came along, one that sets up the foundation for the future, it would be irresponsible to pass on a deal for Romo. Moreover, you have an even worse argument for retaining Witten and Ware who clearly are in the twilight of their careers. We can ride these next couple years out with 5-to-8-win seasons and bid them farewell to retirement and get nothing from them, or we could try to salvage something of value and work toward correcting a broken financial model by moving forward without them.

Well Ratliff has already been released - which isn't a bad thing. DTs are usually only elite for about 6 years.

Question- are you not concerned that since Garrett has taken charge the offense has gotten worse each year ?

Dallas is still #4 overall in the entire league in points scored pretty much the most important stat. I preach patience with coaches and think that constant turnover is not conducive to success. For the record I did not want Rob Ryan let go but I do concede that our team does seem better suited to run 4-3 rather than the 3-4

ious

serious answer 33

Dallas is still #4 overall in the entire league in points scored pretty much the most important stat. I preach patience with coaches and think that constant turnover is not conducive to success. For the record I did not want Rob Ryan let go but I do concede that our team does seem better suited to run 4-3 rather than the 3-4
All the sudden everyone thinks RR is a good coach again. Well, he's at least good enough to stick around the NFL I guess. Maybe he wasnt the problem in Dallas. The common denominator is our defensive personnel. Our D is not that intimidating with a healthy Ware, Lee, and Hatcher. Without them, well, it aint good.

Obviously coaching turnover doesnt help in the short term. But, I'm becoming convinced that Red isnt cut out to be an HC. Sure he's smart. He says smart things. Whats he done as an HC? He's .500. The Cowboys have had historic meltdowns on his watch. Clock management. Playcalling. In-game adjustments. Reactionary game plans week to week.

That said, the Cowboys troubles start at the top. Since he's not goin anywhere, the only chance I see is if he steps back some and allows good football people to do what they do. I aint holdin my breath

ious

serious answer 33

All the sudden everyone thinks RR is a good coach again. Well, he's at least good enough to stick around the NFL I guess. Maybe he wasnt the problem in Dallas. The common denominator is our defensive personnel. Our D is not that intimidating with a healthy Ware, Lee, and Hatcher. Without them, well, it aint good.

Obviously coaching turnover doesnt help in the short term. But, I'm becoming convinced that Red isnt cut out to be an HC. Sure he's smart. He says smart things. Whats he done as an HC? He's .500. The Cowboys have had historic meltdowns on his watch. Clock management. Playcalling. In-game adjustments. Reactionary game plans week to week.

That said, the Cowboys troubles start at the top. Since he's not goin anywhere, the only chance I see is if he steps back some and allows good football people to do what they do. I aint holdin my breath
Don't put words in my mouth, I never said RR was anything special but I do think him having continuity would have performed better than Monte Kiffin and the transition from 3-4 to 4-3. Also your earlier point of being buddy buddy with the players seems to have worked well for Pete Carroll and the Harbaughs.

Simmon, my comment was more geared toward the fact that most would say RR was overrated and was unsuccessfull in Big D. Now, his D is playing well in NO. So the opinions of RR will change. Hey, winning changes everything! I'm really not sure if it has to do with RR's coaching or NO is a better franchise than Dallas. The answer is prolly somewhere in the middle.

I dont disagree about keeping continuity. I wasnt super psyched about bringing Kiffin in. I mean I get it, he's the Tampa 2 guy, but he's ancient, and his D at USC was HORRIBLE. And its not like they were lacking talent. Maybe less talent because of the sanctions, but still.........I thought Lovie Smith woulda been nice maybe.

Anyway, not trying to disrespect ya man! I just like to come on here and have a lil Cowboys discussion. Lately its mostly venting.

All good man this season took a turn for the worse with the loss of both Sean Lee and Durant. I would be shocked if the Cowboys held the Giants to under 35 points.

All good man this season took a turn for the worse with the loss of both Sean Lee and Durant. I would be shocked if the Cowboys held the Giants to under 35 points.
We allowed 31 to the Giants to begin the season. The same team who hasn't scored above 24 since.As much as I know you are averse to say anything negative about the Cowboys front office, coaches, or players and instead choose to blame injuries, luck, the refs, weather, or anything else for our misfortunes, I'm pretty certain our season took a turn for the worse long, long before the losses of Lee and Durant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread