What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Off Season Dynasty Trade Thread (for completed trades) (1 Viewer)

Salary cap league...

QB, Start at least 1 RB, 1TE, 2WR, 1D, 1K and 2 Flex (9 starters total)

Team A gave

Russell Wilson $8 for 2 yrs

Cowboys D $4 for 3 yrs

Team B gave

2013 Round 1.4 pick $9 for 3 yrs

Bryce Brown $1 for 2 yrs

Leaves Team A with Eli Manning as starter...Team B didn't have a QB yet (expiring contracts).

they might be relatively close in rankings due to necessity, but i place a much higher value on spiller than charles. that is quite a steal in my book.

16 team .5 ppr start 1/2/3/1 and a flex

Kaunas Buckeyes gave up:

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB

Year 2015 Round 3 Draft Pick from Kaunas Buckeyes

Year 2015 Round 4 Draft Pick from Kaunas Buckeyes

Year 2015 Round 5 Draft Pick from Kaunas Buckeyes

Goldenacre Giants gave up:

Jones, Julio ATL WR

Year 2014 Round 1 Draft Pick from Melbourne Patriots

Year 2014 Round 2 Draft Pick from Queensferry Falcons

I'm taking a big risk here as my team is set to win now and in relying on RG3 getting healthy.

I would rather have Julio than Rodgers in most formats. Add in the high picks and I don't think it's much of a risk for you.

More like a spew for the other dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
16 team .5 ppr start 1/2/3/1 and a flexKaunas Buckeyes gave up:Rodgers, Aaron GBP QBYear 2015 Round 3 Draft Pick from Kaunas BuckeyesYear 2015 Round 4 Draft Pick from Kaunas BuckeyesYear 2015 Round 5 Draft Pick from Kaunas BuckeyesGoldenacre Giants gave up:Jones, Julio ATL WRYear 2014 Round 1 Draft Pick from Melbourne PatriotsYear 2014 Round 2 Draft Pick from Queensferry FalconsI'm taking a big risk here as my team is set to win now and in relying on RG3 getting healthy.
as i told you in ac... i would do this straight up. this here is phenomenal.

they might be relatively close in rankings due to necessity, but i place a much higher value on spiller than charles. that is quite a steal in my book.
Why, out of curiosity? There isn't a large age gap, and Charles now has Reid.
Yeah, I'd like some expounding on that line of thinking too. I know its trendy to just love Spiller and all but I think when the rubber meets the road, the team coached by Reid is far more stable, will be more competitive in their division and will be much more willing to use their RB in a FF-friendly manner. As promising as Spiller sometimes shows he is, at the end of the day, that team always finds itself in a situation where they defer to FJAX or have a couple of games where they just completely lose sight of themselves and lay fantasy eggs. There is nobody on the Chiefs roster than makes me worry about Charles being used situaitonally.

I would rather have Julio than Rodgers in most formats. Add in the high picks and I don't think it's much of a risk for you. More like a spew for the other dude.
It's a risk to my title this year though and we can only play for the year were in.I love the value and wouldn't make out I didn't win in those terms but I went back and forth on it a lot.

Charles is actually a few months younger. but he has a lot more carries on his body. also, spiller does not take hits.

but i've had this thing with spiller since his days at clemson. my love grew stronger for him as he entered the league and majority suggested he was reggie bush reincarnated or simply wasn't very talented and only an athlete. which is fine cause then got to own him in more leagues. i didn't have that same love for charles

Spiller's career to those who have followed closely has been catastrophic up until last season. an uber elite talent that was wasted for several years. but now he's got the keys and so i like that 350-400 pt upside you don't see too often.

Marrone is not an idiot and Spiller will be featured. assuming both backs are featured, i like my chips with spiller. Charles is a very nice back and capable of a lot under Reid but he has never had quite the "it" that i have seen in spiller over the years. to my eyes spiller pops like very, very few backs i've seen

to my eyes spiller pops like very, very few backs i've seen
I'd agree; Charles just happens to be one of those backs. He's on pace to retire with the career YPC record for a RB. As impressive as Spiller's 6.0 on 207 carries was - Charles put up 6.4 on 230. That's insane. And now he'll be getting 60+ receptions. I don't think it logical to suggest Charles is a tier behind anyone his age.

I'd agree; Charles just happens to be one of those backs. He's on pace to retire with the career YPC record for a RB. As impressive as Spiller's 6.0 on 207 carries was - Charles put up 6.4 on 230. That's insane. And now he'll be getting 60+ receptions. I don't think it logical to suggest Charles is a tier behind anyone his age.
as i stated above, charles and spiller are close in rankings due to necessity/by default. across positions, not so. apologies if this was not clear, i tend to type half or less of my thought and hope the jist comes through.

is this illogical? i guess we will see. i don't think there will be a huge gap in production over the next 3 years, and for that, i might not pay charles/1.3 for spiller/1.9 (if we flipped the above deal), but i did do charles/1.7 for spiller/2.1 a couple years ago for reference. i do just like to own guys that are extremely elite to me, and spiller's fibers are made of something charles supplements his breakfast with.

12 team non-PPRTeam A gives:2 2014 1st rd picks (one late one in the 1.04-1.06 range)Dwayne AllenTeam B gives:Andre JohnsonTony GonzalezFred Jackson (spiller owner)
Looks like a fantastic deal to get Andre and Gonzo if you have a good team and those two guys put you over the top to be a top contender. Andre isn't done for a few years also

This is where I stand.I know JPeso isn't one of these guys I'm about to describe, just to get that out there.But is it weird that I for some reason have the distinct feeling that a lot of dynasty owners don't actually realize Spiller is 26? That's a fine age for what he can give you. But the way he's talked about, I sometimes get the impression that there are people out there who think he's 24 or younger. He's not regarded as a vet. Maybe it's just a strange impression I get. But he's not young.And I worry more about age than I do carries, so that matters in the Charles vs. Spiller debate. Charles workload so far doesn't bother me. So I see no reason to value them too far apart. And it's also why Wilson is so enticing to some. He's 21, maybe 22 now, and could be a younger Spiller.

as i stated above, charles and spiller are close in rankings due to necessity/by default. across positions, not so. apologies if this was not clear, i tend to type half or less of my thought and hope the jist comes through.

is this illogical? i guess we will see. i don't think there will be a huge gap in production over the next 3 years, and for that, i might not pay charles/1.3 for spiller/1.9 (if we flipped the above deal), but i did do charles/1.7 for spiller/2.1 a couple years ago for reference. i do just like to own guys that are extremely elite to me, and spiller's fibers are made of something charles supplements his breakfast with.
I think I understood you. Maybe I mistook or placed too much value in the "much higher" part of your post. I personally see two elite guys around the same age. I just don't see what makes Spiller extremely elite that doesn't also apply to Charles. As great as Spiller's year was, per touch, Charles has bested it and did so on greater volume.

We'll see; nothing wrong with being very high on Spiller. I just think you're selling Charles short. Just my opinion.

I think I understood you. Maybe I mistook or placed too much value in the "much higher" part of your post. I personally see two elite guys around the same age. I just don't see what makes Spiller extremely elite that doesn't also apply to Charles. As great as Spiller's year was, per touch, Charles has bested it and did so on greater volume.

We'll see; nothing wrong with being very high on Spiller. I just think you're selling Charles short. Just my opinion.
I actually prefer Charles straight up over Spiller.

Charles is actually a few months younger. but he has a lot more carries on his body. also, spiller does not take hits.

but i've had this thing with spiller since his days at clemson. my love grew stronger for him as he entered the league and majority suggested he was reggie bush reincarnated or simply wasn't very talented and only an athlete. which is fine cause then got to own him in more leagues. i didn't have that same love for charles

Spiller's career to those who have followed closely has been catastrophic up until last season. an uber elite talent that was wasted for several years. but now he's got the keys and so i like that 350-400 pt upside you don't see too often.

Marrone is not an idiot and Spiller will be featured. assuming both backs are featured, i like my chips with spiller. Charles is a very nice back and capable of a lot under Reid but he has never had quite the "it" that i have seen in spiller over the years. to my eyes spiller pops like very, very few backs i've seen
I agree with your take but Spiller is actually younger then Charles.

Charles

Dec 27, 1986

Spiller

Aug 15, 1987

Everyone was excited about Turner when he went to the Falcons and here he is out of the league at 31 like everyone else. Still a HUGE Spiller fan, but to suggest he's a steal over Jamaal Charles? There doesn't seem much to base that off of, even if it turns out to be the case.

Everyone was excited about Turner when he went to the Falcons and here he is out of the league at 31 like everyone else. Still a HUGE Spiller fan, but to suggest he's a steal over Jamaal Charles? There doesn't seem much to base that off of, even if it turns out to be the case.
The trade wasn't Spiller for Charles. The Spiller side got the 1.3 for 1.9/DX as well. That's what made it a steal.

The trade wasn't Spiller for Charles. The Spiller side got the 1.3 for 1.9/DX as well. That's what made it a steal.
Wow, I thought it was the other way around and assumed the guy getting Spiller downgraded to 1.9.

Not following the connection between Spiller and Turner. Both Spiller and Charles are roughly the same age in any case.

Team A gave Mathews/Hunter®/2014 2ndTeam B gave Ingram/S.Hill/2014 1st
Give me Ingram/Hill/1st - I have slight preference for Hill over Hunter and I guess I'd rather have Ingram + 1st over Mathews + 2nd. This assumes that the 1st at least has a chance of being high.

Team A gave Mathews/Hunter®/2014 2ndTeam B gave Ingram/S.Hill/2014 1st
Give me Ingram/Hill/1st - I have slight preference for Hill over Hunter and I guess I'd rather have Ingram + 1st over Mathews + 2nd. This assumes that the 1st at least has a chance of being high.
1st > Mathews (at this point I'm willing to take a chance on someone next year)

Hill > Hunter

Ingram > 2nd (don't like Ingram much but he's worth more than a 2nd)

Sold a likely late 2014 1st to get a high 2nd in this rookie draft and took Tyler Eifert.

Did the exact same thing over for the next pick and took Lattimore.

*10 team league with 4 practice squad spots for drafted rookies.

In a particularly dumb trade I just saw in my IDP league, some dude just traded Jordan Cameron for the 5.11 pick and selected Sheldon Richardson.

Yeah. You read that right.

I had the 5.12 pick and he made me the same offer, but I was in bed so didn't see it until the morning by which time he'd already made that trade.

Team A gave Mathews/Hunter®/2014 2nd

Team B gave Ingram/S.Hill/2014 1st
1st > Mathews (at this point I'm willing to take a chance on someone next year)

Hill > Hunter

Ingram > 2nd (don't like Ingram much but he's worth more than a 2nd)
I think this is reasonable. But I'd take Mathews over the first and like Hunter a lot more than Hill.

It's a sell low to move Mathews for a 1st, assuming the team is not a lock to finish in the bottom 3. I'm not sold on him either, but move him after week 1 or 2. He's a 25 YO starting RB in a solid offense. One 80 yard/1 TD game and owners will be willing to pay more than a future 1st, in my opinion. Thus, I'd take the other side. Ingram is not a guy I would be looking to move right now, however. You were burned and held him to this point - might as well see what he can do with Ivory out of the picture and Peyton back.

Really? Why would you give up Wilson for Patterson... Surely you could have gotten more for Wilson.
I agree. I'd be willing to add a good deal to Patterson to get Wilson. Perhaps double Patterson's value, even.
*shrugs*

I got my guy. I drafted both Tavon Austin + DeAndre Hopkins earlier in the draft and recently lost my starting WR (Michael Crabtree) to an Achilles injury. My other Running Backs in this league are Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.

I need to hit a homerun at Receiver in this league, desperately. I'm not a believer in Wilson, he's not a super-great pass-catching threat and besides the few big runs he busted off last year (and kick-returns), nothing he really did impressed me. Leon Washington could have made the same plays he made last-year. Add to the fact he's NOT going to see Goalline and short-yardage work and I'll pass.

Came down to David Wilson for the 1.06 (Cordarelle Patterson). Coincidentally, David Wilson was taken at the 1.06 position (by me) last year so it pretty much became a "do-over" for me and considering I'm in desperate need of Wide Receivers it was an easy move to make.

Really? Why would you give up Wilson for Patterson... Surely you could have gotten more for Wilson.
I agree. I'd be willing to add a good deal to Patterson to get Wilson. Perhaps double Patterson's value, even.
*shrugs*

I got my guy. I drafted both Tavon Austin + DeAndre Hopkins earlier in the draft and recently lost my starting WR (Michael Crabtree) to an Achilles injury. My other Running Backs in this league are Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.

I need to hit a homerun at Receiver in this league, desperately. I'm not a believer in Wilson, he's not a super-great pass-catching threat and besides the few big runs he busted off last year (and kick-returns), nothing he really did impressed me. Leon Washington could have made the same plays he made last-year. Add to the fact he's NOT going to see Goalline and short-yardage work and I'll pass.

Came down to David Wilson for the 1.06 (Cordarelle Patterson). Coincidentally, David Wilson was taken at the 1.06 position (by me) last year so it pretty much became a "do-over" for me and considering I'm in desperate need of Wide Receivers it was an easy move to make.
Make your move, get your guy. Good job. Patterson has some great potential.

Only thing I don't like is losing perceived value. Almost anyone out there would value Wilson higher, so you probably could have gotten 2nd round rookie or another throw-in for him.

*shrugs*

So if you personally think that Monte Ball is going to be better than Trent Richardson, do you trade Richardson straight up for Ball???? Jesus no.

This way of thinking will kill a team. So what if you think Patterson will be better for your team. Since you are in the GIANT minority there, it's a bad deal cause you should easily get 2-3 times the value of Patterson even from a Patterson lover.

In fact, there are enough Wilson lovers out there to get a good/great proven young WR. Wilson is going in like the 2nd and 3rd round of startup drafts. Patterson is going like 5 round later than that. You got KILLED in value there, real, real bad. If you needed a homerun at WR, why not just deal WIlson for an already proven homerun??

*shrugs*

So if you personally think that Monte Ball is going to be better than Trent Richardson, do you trade Richardson straight up for Ball???? Jesus no.

This way of thinking will kill a team. So what if you think Patterson will be better for your team. Since you are in the GIANT minority there, it's a bad deal cause you should easily get 2-3 times the value of Patterson even from a Patterson lover.

In fact, there are enough Wilson lovers out there to get a good/great proven young WR. Wilson is going in like the 2nd and 3rd round of startup drafts. Patterson is going like 5 round later than that. You got KILLED in value there, real, real bad. If you needed a homerun at WR, why not just deal WIlson for an already proven homerun??
I agree with Wilson > Patterson just on the basis of my personal player evaluation but disagree with the sweeping generalizations you are making.

Regarding your extreme Montee Ball example, the only thing that kills the team is incorrectly evaluating that Montee > Trent. If instead you were correct all along in your evaluation, then you didnt kill the team at all. You simply put yourself in the exact same situation (or better) as the scenario where you kept Trent (since Ball equaled or exceeded Trent).

What you may have lost is the opportunity to maximize value of your team by instead selling Trent for a piece the Montee finds even more valuable than Montee and then selling that piece to that owner for Ball and another player. Missing out on that opportunity, however, did nothing to "kill" your team since you ended being no worse off than had you kept Trent all along (if you are correct in your evaluation). You just may have left additional value on the table.

In addition, that opportunity to maximize value, although sounding good in theory, doesn't always materialize and by the time you realize that, the opportunity to buy the player you wanted in the first place could now be gone. That said, I can understand the need to feel like you are maximizing value and I fall into that trap from time to time as well (and have been burned in the process).

As for Patterson vs. Wilson, if I thought Patterson was better than Wilson and also better than the "proven" homerun that I could have acquired with Wilson (which would not be that unusual), then I'd go Patterson and lose no sleep over the fact that the masses value Wilson over Patterson.

In the end, it all comes down to your evaluation of a player and how much you trust that evaluation even when everyone else is saying you are wrong. If you are right, then trading a worse player that the market values more for a better player that the market values less is a good thing.

*shrugs*

That's not even a valid comparison:

Trent Richardson posted 950 Yards and 11 Touchdowns last season.David Wilson posted 358 Yards and 4 Touchdowns.

You act like David Wilson has proven himself or something. He's a decent talent but the majority of his "long runs" are plays that change-of-pace guys like Leon Washington or Jerious Norwood could have made. Wilson doesn't even have the upside of being a great pass-catcher.

"This way of thinking will kill a team. So what if you think Patterson will be better for your team. Since you are in the GIANT minority there, it's a bad deal cause you should easily get 2-3 times the value of Patterson even from a Patterson lover."

So what if I think Patterson will be better for me team? Isn't that EXACTLY WHAT DOES MATTER? Should I have avoided Adrian Peterson last-year like everyone else in my leagues did because of injury? Should I have not have drafted Russell Wilson as well?

At the end of the day, I value Patterson more than Wilson. They've both proven essentially nothing at the NFL level, besides that David Wilson is an above average Kick Returner. I've soured on Wilson after last season, nothing he did really impressed me. I spent the 1.06 on him last-year, didn't like what I saw, and traded him for the 1.06 this year for a prospect I like better.

A prospect at a position of need, homerun.

If you believe in a guy go get him, consensus value be damned IMO. I'd much rather make a mistake and go down with guys I truly believe in then watch a guy I could have had blow up on someone else's roster because I was holding out trying to get him at "market value."

That said, in this case, I see two issues with the trade. If you aren't a Wilson believer at all why did you take him in the 1st place? And how is Patterson "your guy" if you took not one but two separate WRs ahead of him in this year's rookie draft? Something doesn't add up here...

If you believe in a guy go get him, consensus value be damned IMO. I'd much rather make a mistake and go down with guys I truly believe in then watch a guy I could have had blow up on someone else's roster because I was holding out trying to get him at "market value."That said, in this case, I see two issues with the trade. If you aren't a Wilson believer at all why did you take him in the 1st place? And how is Patterson "your guy" if you took not one but two separate WRs ahead of him in this year's rookie draft? Something doesn't add up here...
Last year, Wilson was the best pick available at 1.06. But once how I saw his game in the NFL (his Rookie season), I've soured on him. He doesn't make anyone miss and really only has the ability to produce against ####ty defenses (2013 Saints). Relies heavily on his speed for production and while that's not terrible, I don't think he's the same kind of talent like CJ Spiller or LeSean McCoy. Nor is he a great receiving-threat (my league is .5PPR).

Best case scenario for Wilson, imo, is 1,200 Total Yards and 6 Touchdowns and I can replace that production in our Free Agent draft. No way does he exceed those numbers. Any type of leg-injury and we see him lose all explosiveness. Felix Jones, anyone?

I had Hopkins and Patterson ranked ridiculously close, to the point I was watching film for both of them before caving-in and taking Hopkins. When Patterson was taken two-picks later (like I expected), I knew I had to strike while the iron was hot and buy myself a year of watching Cordarelle Patterson progress as a player.

Users who are viewing this thread