What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 NY Giants Offseason (1 Viewer)

Rogers is how old? Jenkins isn't the healthiest player.

Hankins is gassed half the time because he was playing 70+ snaps a game. Perfectly fine with that pick where it was.

Moore was all value.

Interesting draft for the Giants.

Pugh was so classic Giants to me. Boring, not special, late first rounder with limited flash or upside. Will start for 10 years, and probably go to a handful of Pro Bowls.

Hankins and Moore were the interesting part to me.

I think both of those picks are the team relying on their system and their vets to whip these boys into shape, and realize their potential.

If my team had taken Moore, I would have considered it wasted. Guy doesn't work out, and he's playing in the SEC? WTF? But I could really see the Giants vets getting that kid on the right page.

interesting to see how it turns out.

Giants trade up and take a QB (Nassib )? Contradicting the "we will take the best player that falls to us" and also not drafting a need position?

Barrett Jones goes 3 picks later

Khaseem Greene goes 4 picks after that

Officially making this the most worst and weirdest Giant draft I can recall.

Disappointing to say the least

Last edited by a moderator:
Giants trade up and take a QB (Nassib )? Contradicting the "we will take the best player that falls to us" and also not drafting a need position? Barrett Jones goes 3 picks later Khaseem Greene goes 4 picks after that Officially making this the most worst and weirdest Giant draft I can recall. Disappointing to say the least
This seems to be the sentiment in the Giants board, but I'm not as pessimistic as others.The Nassib pick does make me wonder, but I see the logic in the first three rounds moreso than others I suppose. Solidify the line with a guy who seems really underrated and from what I've heard is not nearly the reach some state (2-3 other teams eyeing him in the next ten picks in a draft that admittedly was pretty flat talent wise). A DT in the second who has the size and big upside. Won't be asked to play every down and with our really good offense, we NEED to stop the run to get the defense off the field. Love the third rounder - we worked on stopping the run - free agency for some solid players and the draft for upside and a more forward looking view. Now we have a guy with huge upside that could become another monster pass rusher.Nassib I don't get as much, but all I can say is it's a forward thinking pick. As I stated in the draft thread, it's an insurance policy 2-3 years down the road with some upside. If Eli begins to age and can't play every game, we have a potential answer. Either way, he could show some growth over the coming year or two and at the least garner us a 3rd or even 2nd round pick for a team that likes Nassib and trades for him.In terms of guys we passed on like Greene, especially to move up and nab Nassib, obviously Reese and Co. Saw value in Nassib and weren't as enamoured with the other guys as we are since they obviously could have grabbed them. While I'm concerned about LB and DB, two last thoughts - in our SB winning seasons, we had issues at both of the positions - or at least question marks going in and even during the season. The answer? Great D Line play including and especially the ability to get to the QB. Now add the mobile QBs into the equation, and the Giants may feel that instead of taking a guy at LB or DB that doesn't give them enough of an improvement, stop the run to get the ball back while clogging up the middle. That opens our meh LBs to look a little better an they are and allows the edge rushers to keep to our philosophy of getting to the QB. Counter the running QBs, hit (and possibly injure) those superstar QBs and at the least, make our DBs look a lot better because the QBS are running for their lives, not as much for first downs.I see this as a very Giants draft. Not enamoured with stars nor names nor need but cognizant of need (ie Pugh). We're the talent is flat you take the need. You have the ability to be both patient and also pick guys with some issues that aren't "bad people" because of vet leadership, coughs in and the organization. Now you have upside that is also a need in the 2nd and huge upside that dropped to us in the third. We take a DE in the first or second we don't capitalize in that in the third.Nassib is a patient, long term, investment view and that's how we are going to be a solid organization 5 years from now and not end up like some of the weak franchises (raiders) or recently up and down franchises (bengals) who don't find the balance of building for today and insuring for tomorrow (and this is recognizing that there's a strong likelihood that Nassib won't really pan out and at best could be an ok backup, start a couple games here and there as Eli ages but some upside just in case)

Good take Koya. I agree with this. In hindsight I might have gone some different routes but I don't mind it. The safety they drafted sounds like a good fit for the Grant role S/LB hybrid. I'm wishing they didn't trade up though now seeing Da'Rick Rodgers fall. Bring back Boley if need be and finish the draft with some secondary help. Moore was a great value pick though and made this draft more tolerable. A guy many had top 15 earlier in the year to the third round, I'll take that and hope we can whip him in shape.

A guy on NFL radio graded Nassib as the most polished QB in this draft class. Also noted that he was "mechanically flawless". Sorry I don't have a name but I do remember

he wasn't some Bleacher Report slappy.

Ahhhh.... what a great time of year for a football fan.

Checked the "fan boards", and many armchair GMs are up in arms over the draft. They wanted "flash" picks. They wanted star players.

Being a casual college football fan at best, I would have been super-stoked to see a Giants drafts full of guys I never heard of. Guys who could fill, and provide depth, in the trenches. We got that on top of the draft plus added a QB that many had as a top prospect there. Some fans say its too early to draft Eli's replacement as he still has "at least 7 years of top performance left" (that's an actual quote from a fan on a fan board) but I'm happy to have real potential depth at that position when injuries can and do happen and careers can sadly end in a matter of seconds.

Overall, I put my trust in Reese and the Giants staff that they actually know better than me or the average armchair GM. Again, for those that bemoan the lack of LBs and CBs picked, remember how much better a great D-line can make an average secondary and LBs look. We won a Superbowl that way not too long ago.

As a Giants fan and football fan, my juices are flowing and I'm looking forward to 2013!

Koya's post makes a lot of sense. I agree this is a fine draft. OL attention was clearly a priority.

Nassib is a good pick. Giants have been fortunate that Eli has been relatively healthy, but there's no guarantee and here's a kid with excellent mechanics and a very strong arm that you can groom or even move in a few years. He's a significant upgrade to Carr and greatly improves depth.

Moore looks like he could be thug. The safety looks good and could provide a nice in the box run stopping presence the team has lacked, particularly with Phillips gone.

We need CB and Corey Webster scares me, he was bad last year. Let's hope the DBs stay healthy for a change.

Giants watch as top undrafted free agents are signed

Sorry but Giants GM seems unprepared this year

Yeah, they've clearly spent too much time playing Madden this offseason.

They're UFA's for a reason mostly...

I'm only 31 but I remember the Dave Brown, Kent Graham days. if spending a 4th round pick on Nassib this year helps us avoid going through that again then I'm all for it. My only annoyance so far is not taking Reddick or Da'Rick Rodgers, or Ray Graham with the 7th pick. Don't know anything about RB Cox but I'm betting we could have gotten him as a UFA. Reddick was probably a top guy that many teams were swarming after the draft.

Yeah, they've clearly spent too much time playing Madden this offseason.

They're UFA's for a reason mostly...
And while you may not agree with the direction, to say that the Giants of all teams are unprepared seems a bit, well - let's just say curious.

Giants trade up and take a QB (Nassib )? Contradicting the "we will take the best player that falls to us" and also not drafting a need position? Barrett Jones goes 3 picks laterKhaseem Greene goes 4 picks after thatOfficially making this the most worst and weirdest Giant draft I can recall. Disappointing to say the least
Few teams have shown love and been as successful as the Giants on draft day. Clearly they like Nassib and wanted him.

Didn't make sense to keep drafting DEs and no one liked the Kiwi pick and...they've been very successful with the players they went out of their way to get.

I think Accorsi instilled the proper mindset there and can still see it today.

Giants beat writer Jenny Vrentas is leaving the Star Ledger this week to work for Sports Illustrated.

This guy guy can't possibly crack the starting oline ...I'd be shocked if he makes the team

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/eric-herman?id=2540249
I don't think they expect him to crack the starting lineup this year

I'm guessing he was drafted because they think that they can development into a starter down the road
Well yeh he's a 7th rd. pick but looking at the combine video ... he'd have to put down the hamburgers and beer and get a hell of alot more athletic. The guys a mess!

Reports are coming in that David Wilson has improved his pass pro. Personally I don't see how Andre Brown impedes this kids breakout season. Stars are lining right up for him. I think we'll see a better version of Ahmad Bradshaw here.

Reports are coming in that David Wilson has improved his pass pro. Personally I don't see how Andre Brown impedes this kids breakout season. Stars are lining right up for him. I think we'll see a better version of Ahmad Bradshaw here.
I agree. If they felt Brown was something special and that he was an essential cog, they would have offered Brown an extension rather than the 1yr tender.

Curry signed to a 1 year deal.

Ohm Youngmisuk ‏@NotoriousOHM 1mJerry Reese confirms Aaron Curry signing and says Curry looked good in workout. Says Curry can play SAM and MLB spots.

Curry signed to a 1 year deal.

Ohm Youngmisuk ‏@NotoriousOHM 1mJerry Reese confirms Aaron Curry signing and says Curry looked good in workout. Says Curry can play SAM and MLB spots.
I'm psyched about this ... He may not be what was expected but he has started 39 of 46 games prior to last season when he was injured.

The fact that Oak cut him means nothing ... Oak has a history of bad personal moves. If Curry can get in shape and stay healthy and Rivers could stay healthy ... the Giants can have some nice LB talent.

Well now they have 2 LB's drafted in the top 10 of the 1st round on the roster

Both were busts with their previous teams so lets hope they can resurrect their careers and shed the bust label

from Rotoworld:

Hakeem Nicks was a no-show for Giants OTAs Wednesday.
Coach Tom Coughlin was steamed by Nicks' absence from the "voluntary" sessions. "He should be here," Coughlin said after professing ignorance as to why Nicks wasn't present. Recovering from a knee scope, Nicks wouldn't have been a full participant even if he showed. Going into the final year of his rookie contract, Nicks could be looking to avoid further injury, or perhaps signaling that the time to negotiate a new deal is now.

Source: New York Daily News

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ed Werder reported on NFL Live Friday that contract talks between the Giants and unsigned restricted free agent Victor Cruz have "stalemated."
"The issue here is that Cruz is one of the dominant slot receivers in football," Werder explained. "But none of the slot receivers in the NFL rank among the top-salaried receivers. It's all outside receivers. So he's put in a situation with his agent Tom Condon, they've gotta convince the Giants that he should make more money than say, Wes Welker." Welker is making $6 million a year in Denver. Cruz is believed to be seeking at least $8 million annually. With Cruz (contract) and Hakeem Nicks (knee, contract?) staying away from OTAs, Rueben Randle is working as the Giants' No. 1 receiver.

Rotoworld:

The Giants will use TE Bear Pascoe at fullback if Henry Hynoski (knee surgery) isn't ready for Week 1.
Hynoski will be in a race to get ready for the opener after surgery to repair a damaged left MCL and chip fracture. Lead blocker is an underrated position in Giants OC Kevin Gilbride's system, which at times looked dominant in I-formations last year with Hynoski clearing holes for Ahmad Bradshaw. New York finished the season seventh in the NFL in yards-per-carry average.

Source: giants.com

Rotoworld:

Unsigned restricted free agent Victor Cruz is in talks to star in a reality show.
No, the show is not about his contract. "It is going to be something that is very unique to me and very unique to what I like, and like to do," Cruz said. "We are still fielding some requests, so we will see how it goes — the timing has to be right, and I have got to squeeze in some training before the season starts." We can only imagine how "happy" coach Tom Coughlin will be for his No. 2 receiver if this show comes to fruition. Coughlin is already steamed at Hakeem Nicks.

Rotoworld:

Unsigned restricted free agent Victor Cruz is in talks to star in a reality show.
No, the show is not about his contract. "It is going to be something that is very unique to me and very unique to what I like, and like to do," Cruz said. "We are still fielding some requests, so we will see how it goes — the timing has to be right, and I have got to squeeze in some training before the season starts." We can only imagine how "happy" coach Tom Coughlin will be for his No. 2 receiver if this show comes to fruition. Coughlin is already steamed at Hakeem Nicks.

Rotoworld update:

Unsigned restricted free agent Victor Cruz has shot down reports he's in talks to star in his own reality show.
And so ends the latest offseason non-story. Just ignore the fact that it was Cruz himself who said a show was being developed. Cruz would have never been able to top Ndamukong Suh's appearance on Celebrity Diving, anyway.

Source: Victor Cruz on Twitter

http://m.nypost.com/p/pagesix/no_lights_no_bill_9BBoXyvRQ6AwHwBoeQFbtI

NY Giant Andre Brown and pals skip out on $1000 tab.

“It would be nice for Andre or his friends to come back in and pay,” says a club source. But a Giants rep tells us Brown was at the club for only 20 minutes and it wasn’t his bill: “Andre was invited to join a group of people . . . he arrived, and approximately 20 minutes after his arrival the power went out. At which point he left . . . it wasn’t anything Andre had organized.”

32 in 32: Hakeem Nicks faces prove-it year on Giants

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

"NFL Total Access" has launched its "32 in 32" series, breaking down the biggest subplots of every NFL team with training camp nearing. We here at Around The League are offering our own deep thoughts every night. Next up: The New York Giants

1. Contract stalemates dominate headlines in the offseason, and then are forgotten once the games start. Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks aren't under contract for 2014, but does it really matter? Cruz isn't going anywhere. It would be surprising if he entered the season without a new contract. The minute Cruz signs, we'll forget the whole "stalemate" ever happened.

Signing Nicks will be trickier, but that's what next offseason is for. His fluctuating production and injury history make this a prove-it year. The bigger story is if Nicks can fulfill his enormous potential for a passing attack that was too sporadic last season. The Giants boast one of the top receiver duos in the league with a top-10 quarterback in Eli Manning, so their passing game shouldn't be so streaky.

2. Jason Pierre-Paul's back surgery is a very big deal until proven otherwise. His readiness for Week 1 is less important than his ability to go full JPP this season. He was one of the best run defenders in the league last year, but his pass rush productivity somewhat tailed off. He has the ability to carry a defense on his back, but I didn't expect it to be a surgically repaired back so early in his career.

3. With Pierre-Paul hurt, the return of Mathias Kiwanuka to defensive end looms even larger. So does the hoped-for return to form by Justin Tuck and the arrival of rookie Damontre Moore. This defense was once defined by its pass rush, but there are a lot of questions now. Like so many Giants defenses under coordinator Perry Fewell, this group could range anywhere from awful to awesome.

4. Fantasy leaguers who draft running back Andre Brown early are expecting a big role alongside David Wilson. Those owners are a wee bit insane. Brown is a nice role player who's not necessarily a lock to make the Giants. It wouldn't be surprising if a free-agent-to-be-named-later is added to the running back mix.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

32 in 32: Hakeem Nicks faces prove-it year on Giants

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

"NFL Total Access" has launched its "32 in 32" series, breaking down the biggest subplots of every NFL team with training camp nearing. We here at Around The League are offering our own deep thoughts every night. Next up: The New York Giants

1. Contract stalemates dominate headlines in the offseason, and then are forgotten once the games start. Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks aren't under contract for 2014, but does it really matter? Cruz isn't going anywhere. It would be surprising if he entered the season without a new contract. The minute Cruz signs, we'll forget the whole "stalemate" ever happened.

Signing Nicks will be trickier, but that's what next offseason is for. His fluctuating production and injury history make this a prove-it year. The bigger story is if Nicks can fulfill his enormous potential for a passing attack that was too sporadic last season. The Giants boast one of the top receiver duos in the league with a top-10 quarterback in Eli Manning, so their passing game shouldn't be so streaky.

2. Jason Pierre-Paul's back surgery is a very big deal until proven otherwise. His readiness for Week 1 is less important than his ability to go full JPP this season. He was one of the best run defenders in the league last year, but his pass rush productivity somewhat tailed off. He has the ability to carry a defense on his back, but I didn't expect it to be a surgically repaired back so early in his career.

3. With Pierre-Paul hurt, the return of Mathias Kiwanuka to defensive end looms even larger. So does the hoped-for return to form by Justin Tuck and the arrival of rookie Damontre Moore. This defense was once defined by its pass rush, but there are a lot of questions now. Like so many Giants defenses under coordinator Perry Fewell, this group could range anywhere from awful to awesome.

4. Fantasy leaguers who draft running back Andre Brown early are expecting a big role alongside David Wilson. Those owners are a wee bit insane. Brown is a nice role player who's not necessarily a lock to make the Giants. It wouldn't be surprising if a free-agent-to-be-named-later is added to the running back mix.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Nicks left for Carolina in free agency

I think Brown is a lock to make the team (unless he gets injured)

Rotoworld:

The Daily News says it's a "pretty good bet" that Victor Cruz will either have a new contract or sign his RFA tender by June 17.
June 17 is the date that the Giants can reduce his tender offer from $2.879 million to $630,000. Deals often don't get done until deadlines, and this can certainly serve as one. Despite a ton of hand-wringing, Cruz is almost certainly going to be there for the Giants when it counts. The only question is if he'll have a lucrative long-term deal or a one-year contract.

New giants.com highlights feature NilayShah : 6/12/2013 4:21 pm
Hi fans

Want to let you know about our new practice highlights feature. We now will bring you the top plays from practice about two seconds after they happen.

No longer will you have to rely on tweets to know about top plays and read descriptions

We are working on this during mini camp and will be doing it extensively during traing camp and also during pregame warmups and exclusive items from road games

Highlights from practice are going up now

Sorry if someone already brought this to your attention. We think this will really bring you guys closer to the action in real time

Kudos to our production department on this new feature. You can watch the highlights on the link below

thanks

http://www.giants.com/mini-camp-highlights.html

Transcript: Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride

Q: Your impressions of some of these young kids trying to play with the veterans?
A: It is always an enjoyable time for me because you get a chance to see some of the young guys develop and grow and maybe starting to believe that down the road somewhere when things become familiar enough they are going to actually be able to contribute and help us win some games. So that was the good thing; that was the enjoyable thing to see. The absence of two of our receivers allowed some of the younger receiver corps – particularly – to get more play than they might normally have gotten; more repetitions. I think they certainly prospered and benefited because of that.

Q: Realistically speaking, once Victor (Cruz) comes back in – Hakeem (Nicks) only had a couple of days – how long do you think it will take for them to kind of get back on the same page with Eli as far as the timing goes?
A: That I hear you guys talk about. That is so, not unimportant, but it is just a relatively minor thing. The thing is they haven’t been working. They haven’t been listening. They haven’t been growing; they haven’t been developing. They haven’t been receiving the coaching that they need to get better. To be quite frank, they need it. And the absence and not being here has hurt them and because of that, it has hurt us. But the good thing is that Brandon Collins and some of the other young receivers have had a chance to get some reps. Now the Jerrel Jernigans, down the road, they may be coming into a more integral part of what we have been doing offensively because of that.

Q: How about Rueben Randall in that equation?
A: No question. Rueben benefitted. I would say that he and the guys in the slot position benefited the most. Rueben, you see emerge from a guy that showed flashes at times. He always caught the ball well but maybe didn’t always run the routes as precisely, as crisply, as you wanted. He didn’t have quite the understanding you wanted. He looked like a guy that has been here for five or six years. He really benefitted from the opportunity. His whole demeanor, his whole professionalism, was outstanding. Now is that because they weren’t here or just because he had more reps? I don’t know but he certainly stepped into a leadership role. Not only did he grow he kind of became the bell cow of the receiving corps. He was first in line. He did all of those things. That was not what we saw last year; not by a longshot. So to see him growing like that was a great step forward for him, which will help us down the road.

Q: Is this as versatile a group of tight ends as you've had in recent years?
A: There is one guy that can do that – that is Bear (Pascoe). The rest of them are tight ends, they are. The rest are just hopeful that they become tight ends. But Bear has been asked to do it before – be that ….. tight end and move back to the fullback position. He has had to do that for us whenever the fullback has been hurt. It hasn’t been Henry (Hynoski) but it was Madison Hedgecock before. And so he has done a great job with that. It is not an easy thing. He is not a natural fullback but he is one of those guys that just whatever you ask him to do, he goes out and does it with as much courage and determination as anybody. As a result of that he plays above – sometimes – what your expectations might be. We asked him to do a very difficult role – he does it very well.

Q: Assuming Henry is going to miss at least some of summer training camp, can you get by with what you have, or do you need to get a fullback?
A: We have had to do it before. Bear has done it before. So unless the powers that be bring a guy in, then we make do. As you know we have had to make do with a lot of things in a lot of different positions. That is just one of many that we have had to do in the past. And so far – knock on wood – we have been able to be pretty good with it.

Q: Last year at this time you were pretty vocal with your concerns about the offensive line. Where is your level of concern now?
A: The good thing is that we think they will be back and they will be fairly healthy, probably healthier than they have been the last few years, which is a very positive thing. Maybe more importantly we added some young blood that can come in and look like they have the skill set to be able to play and contribute down the road. There is no question, we needed an infusion of talent at that spot – young talent that would be able to come in and eventually assume starting roles. How soon that will be remains to be seen. I know that some of the veterans that we have are going to do whatever they can to hold onto that spot. But to see a Justin Pugh come in, for example, as one – it was very, very needed.

Q: With Pugh as the first round pick, obviously, eventually you want him to start. How tough is it going to be to unseat Diehl?
A: Just think of the man – the man is not going to give up the job. He doesn’t care who has been drafted – he was a low draft pick when he got here and no one ever expected a lot from him. What has he been playing now – 10 years? He has been a starter. I think it is going to be very difficult for someone to unseat him, but certainly Justin was brought in for just that reason – to earn a starting position. Not necessarily to unseat David, because David can move inside and be a guard for us. So it looks like Justin has enough ability – until you put the pads on, you know – but it looks like he moves well enough. He looks like he is intelligent enough – it looks like he is focused, professional, determined. So I would be surprised if he doesn’t come into play for us down the road.

Q: At this point in his career, is it ‘maintain’ for Eli?
A: There is no such thing as ‘maintain.’ You have to get better all of the time or you are going the wrong way. And you have heard it as a cliché, said many times, what I firmly believe and I think that good players all know it, as you physically get older, you have to compensate for that with continued growth with technique, continued growth in the deepening of understanding of what is taking place out there, so that you can compensate for whatever that loss of skill level is. So as a receiver, as a running back, as a lineman, if you are not doing that, then pretty soon you are going to be on the bench.

Q: Have you had a conversation with him about that?
A: Yeah. The good thing is that he knows that. He wants that. I have never been around a great player that doesn’t want to get better and isn’t focused on doing just that. He certainly fits in that mold.

Q: You don’t see his skills diminishing?
A: No. I would like to say that I still move like I used to. But that isn’t true. Eventually you start going the wrong way physically. But you can compensate. There is no question. Until you reach a certain point where there is just too much compensation. But that is a long way down the road for him.

Q: What are some things he needs to work on?
A: The same things as always, making better decisions. Sometimes he gets antsy trying to make a play. And as always, he will try to push the envelope beyond what it should have been pushed. Continuing to make better decisions in terms of recognition of how teams are trying to disguise coverages, doing the little things better in terms of carrying out his fakes. He still can grow in terms of understanding what we are looking for as a coaching staff because he is our spokesperson out there. He is our guy, he is our link that has to translate it or say it out on the field. So there is still a lot of room for him to get better. But the best part of about it is that he is going to roll up his sleeves and do everything he can to get that done.

Q: What have you seen from the running backs this spring?
A: That is another position – because of the fact that they are getting more reps – you see a guy like David Wilson who started with no clue on who to block, much less how to block, to a pretty good understanding of what it is that he has to do. Now it is a matter of doing it. And it is a matter of getting better at it. He is still not 100%. He still makes mistakes but there has certainly been some significant, some significant growth. Now until you get the pads on – and he has to show that he, as a smaller guy, can do the things necessary that other small backs in this league have done – you are still kind of holding your breath when you see him. But his approach has been great; his attitude in terms of trying to work on that aspect of the game. As a running back, what do you want to do? You want to run the ball. That is all you want to do. You don’t want to do anything else. But he realizes that in order to get the playing time that he wants to get that he is going to have to become a pass receiver; he is going to have to become a good pass protector. And he is going to have to do the things that maybe don’t fall into the strict definition of running the football. But the good thing is that he has been working his tail off.

Q: RE: Andre Brown
A: Same thing, but Andre had already made good strides in those areas. And Andre has continued to grow. And he has continued to get better. You feel more and more confident. He has actually gotten to a point where you feel better about third-down. First and second-down is one ….. step; one big step; one important step. But the next step is can you be a third-down back because of the complexity of what people are doing with their defensive schemes. And therefore what you do on offense to handle those things – the position that gets a lot asked of it is the running back position. So last year, as you saw, when Ahmad was getting injured, who did we put there? We wanted to put Henry back there. Henry became our third-down back. And now he is not here. So those other guys are going to have to step into the breach.

Q: A lot of the players are saying now that minicamp is over, you really don’t have time to take off because the season – it is a full time job. They also said that with the new CBA coaches don’t get a chance to see them that much. Do you have to work harder in the offseason………..?
A: I don’t know that you are working any harder. It is just an acknowledgement of the fact that you are not with them as much. So it is imperative that the time you have with them, that you are as efficient as you can possibly be. So whereas before, maybe you say, “Hey, I’m going to show all the cutups,” well, you don’t have enough time to show all of the cutups. So you are streamlining, streamlining, it. So you are deciding, “Okay, I want to show an example against Cover Two; I want to show an example against this blitz.” So you are selecting, maybe out of 50 plays on that particular play – whatever it is, maybe you are showing 15 of them. So you are spending a lot more time getting ready for your meeting because you only have limited exposure to them.

Q: One last thing on Randle – even if Cruz does come back -
A: Oh, he is going to play – he is going to play a lot. He will play first and second-downs. He will be an outside receiver for us. Whether he is at the ‘X’ or the ‘Z,” he is going to play. He is looking like he deserves to be out there a significant time.

Q: Do you think Rueben will take a step back in terms of the leadership he has displayed when Nicks and Cruz are here?
A: I think he will. I think his natural nature –he is going to let those guys – in terms of leading the drills, because I watched it just with Hakeem, but Hakeem stepped back, realizing that right now I don’t deserve it; he does. And let him run the drills. In terms of playing when the games start – he is going to be out on the field unless something disastrous happens. He looks pretty good right now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting to think Randle might be a sneaky play in redraft or the suscriber league. It wouldn't surprise me if Cruz has let his training slip by not being around the Giants training facility and with all his public apearances. I'm thinking Cruz might pull a hammy or something and end up hobbled most of the season.

Which player impressed you the most at veteran minicamp?

MICHAEL EISEN: Wide receiver

Rueben Randle was the best receiver in camp. Not only did he catch passes running a variety of routes, Rueben, as offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride noted, has a great understanding of his responsibilities and demonstrated more professionalism than he did as a rookie. Randle could join with Nicks and Cruz to give the Giants a lethal trio of wide receivers. - WATCH HIGHLIGHTS

JOHN SCHMEELK: Reuben Randle really took the reins as the leader of the WR core. He was first in all the drills and seemed very dedicated. Kevin GIlbride raved about him when he spoke to the media last Thursday. His position coach, Kevin Gilbride Jr also talked about his improved work ethic. I think he is poised for a breakout season. This could be the best set of WR’s in Giants history.

DAN SALOMONE: Rueben Randle was definitely the big winner of minicamp, but I was already pretty high on him. So I’m going to say tight end Brandon Myers. I’m skeptical of players having one good year – even great ones like Myers’ 79 catches last season. I need to see it on a year-to-year basis to fully buy in. But from the looks of it, there’s no reason he won’t have a very productive 2013 with Eli, who was going to him early and often in minicamp. The guy seems to catch everything.

Which undrafted free agent has the best chance to make the team?

MICHAEL EISEN: Safety Alonzo Tweedy The Giants need depth at that position and Tweedy could also help on special teams. - VIEW BIO

JOHN SCHMEELK: I’m going with Brandon Collinsfrom last season. He showed a lot in the slot at mandatory minicamp. He barely lost out to David Douglas least season, and has an outside shot of making the 53 as the fifth WR. If he doesn’t, he has a great shot at the practice squad. Charles James and Etienne Sabino are two other guys with a good shot. - VIEW BIO

DAN SALOMONE: Brandon Collins. If Randle benefitted the most from Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz being away, Collins was second on that list. Since his first go-around last year, he continues to show he can make plays in the slot. This year, he kept finding open ground to connect with Manning and the other quarterbacks.

Which position group will give the Giants the toughest roster decisions?

MICHAEL EISEN: Defensive tackle. Let’s assume the starters will be Linval Joseph and Cullen Jenkins The Giants still have veterans Shaun Rogers and Mike Patterson , youngsters Marvin Austin– a former second-round draft choice – and Markus Kuhn and this year’s second-round selection, Johnathan Hankins.

JOHN SCHMEELK: Defensive Line. The Giants have so many defensive linemen that can play and not enough roster spots for them all to fit. I don’t believe all of these DE’s will be on the active roster: Tuck, Kiwinuka, Jason Pierre Paul, Adrian Tracy, DaMontre Moore, Adewale Ojomo and Justin Trattou. Neither will all these defensive tackles: Linval Joseph, Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Johnathan Hankins, Mike Patterson, Marcus Kuhn, and Marvin Austin. Try making those decisions. Not easy.

DAN SALOMONE: In terms of straight cut ‘em or keep ‘em, it’s the safety position. Linebacker has the most open competition, but that’s more of who will play where and how much – not who makes the roster. At safety, things get interesting behind starters Antrel Rolle and Stevie Brown. Ryan Mundy has impressed coaches since he arrived, and Will Hill is definitely trending upward. Meanwhile, Terrell Thomas is also there to possibly play in the three-safety packages. It will be interesting to see how many the Giants decide to keep.

Which player has the most to prove heading into training camp

MICHAEL EISEN: Mark Herzlich. He played first-team middle linebacker throughout the OTAs and the minicamp. Now he must prove he’s worthy of keeping this important job once the pads go on.

JOHN SCHMEELK:This is a long list that includes Marvin Austin, Jerrel Jernigan, Mark Herzlick, Will Hill, Tyler Sash, Da’Rel Scott, Keith Rivers and Aaron Curry. The last two have to prove they can stay healthy if they want to be able to start. Hill and Sash will be competing for a roster spot at the end of the safety depth chart. One is a former draft pick and the other has a lot of untapped potential. Herzlich has a legit shot at being the starting middle linebacker if he can prove he can do it. Jerrel Jernigan missed much of minicamp with a hamstring, and it is time he showed why he was a third round pick. Then you have Marvin Austin who was a second round pick, and has a lot of proven players to compete with at defensive tackle. It should be a lot of fun.

DAN SALOMONE: Marvin Austin. A second-round selection is a big investment, and there have been little returns so far. With all the competition they’ve brought in, it’s clear the Giants will have little patience for Austin and other defensive tackles trying to get on the field.

NFL agent: Cruz’s only option to sign Giants' long-term offer

• By PAUL SCHWARTZ
  • Last Updated: 11:37 AM, June 18, 2013
  • Posted: 2:18 AM, June 18, 2013
  • Giants Blog
Victor Cruz has no choice between now and training camp but to sign the multi-year offer the Giants weeks ago put on the table, because playing for less than $3 million for this season makes absolutely no sense. So says a prominent NFL player agent who has done many lucrative deals throughout the league.

“I don’t see how he can’t [sign the deal] now, I don’t understand it, it’s just logic,’’ said the agent, who asked not to be identified.

Cruz walked into the Giants’ facility Friday and signed the one-year tender that will pay him $2.879 million for the 2013 season. Both the Giants and Cruz hope a long-term deal can be finalized before the July 26 reporting date for training camp, but for that to happen, Cruz is going to have to accept he will not be earning what he believes is his market value.

“I don’t see any scenario where he gets any more money than they have on the table right now,’’ the agent said, “unless out of the goodness of their heart they decide to throw him a couple extra million.

“If you’re Victor Cruz, you’re never getting paid by the Giants, ever. They’ve never had an $11 million receiver, you’re not gonna be it. They had every opportunity to lock you up — they’ve given you exactly what they feel you’re worth.You can disagree until the cows come home, it does not matter. And now you’re going to go out there and help make them better, which is going to make them stronger. If you can live with that, then that’s what you should do.’’

Cruz eyed a deal that averaged at least $10 million per year and the Giants countered with a contract that would pay him more than $7 million per year. It is believed the Giants are offering $12-15 million in guaranteed money and Cruz is seeking $15-18 million in guaranteed money.

If Cruz did not sign the tender he could have held out of training camp with no repercussions, as the Giants could not fine him because he would not have had a contract. That leverage is now gone for Cruz, who would incur fines of $30,000 for every day he held out of training camp.

“You look weak,’’ the agent said. “ ‘I want a long-term deal and I’m not going to play unless you give me one,’ and then I sign, which takes my leverage away from getting a long-term deal. There are some players who will come in and say, ‘I trust the team and hopefully they do the right thing,’ which is basically what Cruz is doing.’’

The Giants can prevent Cruz from hitting the open market until the 2015 season, as after this season they can designate him a franchise player, which would pay Cruz $10.5 million for the 2014 season. In that scenario, he would play the next two years for slightly more than $13 million, considerably less than what Cruz believes is his market value.

“This year doesn’t help him at all,’’ the agent said. “What’s Cruz going to do this year other than become overexposed? He could go out there and have 100 receptions for 1,300 yards and 12 touchdowns and be the hottest thing on the market next year and then they’ll just franchise him. That’s all he’s playing for.’’

Taking out a disability insurance policy for the season would not help Cruz, as the payoff is based only on a career-ending injuryand not income replacement.

If Cruz did not sign the tender, he could have sat out the season and then hit the open market, but would have burned his bridges with the Giants. Clearly, he wants to stay and get paid, and that desire likely will lead him to relent and accept the standing offer.

Nicks unsure of future: 'I enjoy being a Giant right now'

By BART HUBBUCH

Last Updated: 4:52 PM, June 19, 2013
Hakeem Nicks revealed Wednesday that he formally apologized to Giants coach Tom Coughlin for breaking his promise to attend voluntary workouts but isn’t sorry he skipped them, with the star receiver citing injury concerns -- not his contract -- for his high-profile absence.

In a lengthy and exclusive sitdown with The Post, Nicks also offered a cloudy outlook on his long-term future with the team beyond the final year of his contract, saying only that he enjoys being a Giant “right now.”

Nicks, who was making a promotional appearance for Procter & Gamble in Herald Square as part of a new marketing deal with the company, was asked if his goal ultimately is to retire a Giant.

“I really can’t speak for my whole career,” Nicks said. “I enjoy being a Giant right now. I’m going to take care of what I can take care of as long as I’m a Giant, but I do understand the business side of football, too.”

Nicks recently caused a stir by sitting out the Giants’ voluntary organized team activities (OTAs) despite promising Coughlin he would attend, prompting speculation that Nicks -- like fellow wideout Victor Cruz -- was unhappy about his contract.

Nicks attended Big Blue’s mandatory mini-camp last week and said his OTAs absence wasn’t due to his contract, and he reiterated that Wednesday while pointing to injury concerns -- he broke his foot during OTAs last year -- instead of money as his primary reason for not showing up to the voluntary workouts.

“At the end of the day, there’s stuff that’s mandatory and there’s things that are not mandatory,” he said. “From my eyes, anytime you can let your body rest [is good]. Football is a physical sport, and it’s a long season, too. Anytime you can let your body rest, I feel like that’s always a blessing.” Coughlin was openly frustrated with Nicks for missing OTAs only because the coach said Nicks had promised to attend.

Nicks confirmed Wednesday that he had indeed made that promise, and further revealed that he met with Coughlin behind closed doors last week to formally apologize. “I told him I would be there, but some things just took place and I had to take care of what I had to take care of,” Nicks told The Post. “As soon as I got back, we sat down and talked and got things squared away. I apologized, and everybody knew where I was coming from.” Nicks said he and Coughlin are now back on the same page.

“Me and Coach Coughlin have a great relationship,” Nicks said. “Like I’ve said, he’s one of the best coaches I’ve been around. I like our relationship, and I don’t think it could ever be soured.”

Ominously, though, Nicks wouldn’t say the same about his relationship with the Giants beyond the five-year, $12.54 million contract he signed as a rookie in 2009 that is about to enter its final season.

“As long as I’m here, I’m going to represent the Giants well,” Nicks said. “I’m just focused on this season.”

bhubbuch@nypost.com

http://m.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/nicks_unsure_of_future_enjoy_being_JcHeUcoNSL2HtBaY3mWARJ

netnalp said:
Nicks unsure of future: 'I enjoy being a Giant right now'

By BART HUBBUCH

Last Updated: 4:52 PM, June 19, 2013
Hakeem Nicks revealed Wednesday that he formally apologized to Giants coach Tom Coughlin for breaking his promise to attend voluntary workouts but isn’t sorry he skipped them, with the star receiver citing injury concerns -- not his contract -- for his high-profile absence.

In a lengthy and exclusive sitdown with The Post, Nicks also offered a cloudy outlook on his long-term future with the team beyond the final year of his contract, saying only that he enjoys being a Giant “right now.”

Nicks, who was making a promotional appearance for Procter & Gamble in Herald Square as part of a new marketing deal with the company, was asked if his goal ultimately is to retire a Giant.

“I really can’t speak for my whole career,” Nicks said. “I enjoy being a Giant right now. I’m going to take care of what I can take care of as long as I’m a Giant, but I do understand the business side of football, too.”

Nicks recently caused a stir by sitting out the Giants’ voluntary organized team activities (OTAs) despite promising Coughlin he would attend, prompting speculation that Nicks -- like fellow wideout Victor Cruz -- was unhappy about his contract.

Nicks attended Big Blue’s mandatory mini-camp last week and said his OTAs absence wasn’t due to his contract, and he reiterated that Wednesday while pointing to injury concerns -- he broke his foot during OTAs last year -- instead of money as his primary reason for not showing up to the voluntary workouts.

“At the end of the day, there’s stuff that’s mandatory and there’s things that are not mandatory,” he said. “From my eyes, anytime you can let your body rest [is good]. Football is a physical sport, and it’s a long season, too. Anytime you can let your body rest, I feel like that’s always a blessing.” Coughlin was openly frustrated with Nicks for missing OTAs only because the coach said Nicks had promised to attend.

Nicks confirmed Wednesday that he had indeed made that promise, and further revealed that he met with Coughlin behind closed doors last week to formally apologize. “I told him I would be there, but some things just took place and I had to take care of what I had to take care of,” Nicks told The Post. “As soon as I got back, we sat down and talked and got things squared away. I apologized, and everybody knew where I was coming from.” Nicks said he and Coughlin are now back on the same page.

“Me and Coach Coughlin have a great relationship,” Nicks said. “Like I’ve said, he’s one of the best coaches I’ve been around. I like our relationship, and I don’t think it could ever be soured.”

Ominously, though, Nicks wouldn’t say the same about his relationship with the Giants beyond the five-year, $12.54 million contract he signed as a rookie in 2009 that is about to enter its final season.

“As long as I’m here, I’m going to represent the Giants well,” Nicks said. “I’m just focused on this season.”

bhubbuch@nypost.com

http://m.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/nicks_unsure_of_future_enjoy_being_JcHeUcoNSL2HtBaY3mWARJ
I believe him. Coughlin is as good as it gets at getting his player's to focus on the job at hand over a long,tough NFL season. I'm not concerned about Nix OR Cruz this year as far as their commitment to the Giants. I'd be more concerned about the health of Nix than his attitude. If he can stay healthy all season alongside Cruz,with a tight end that can actually catch a pass thrown his way,David Wilson won't have to be "great" for the G-Men to have a VERY potent offense,and in today's NFL that makes you a contender.

Users who are viewing this thread