What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 NY Giants Offseason (1 Viewer)

Snee played in the Pro Bowl. Chances are that he wouldn't be retiring.
Had surgery right after and had delayed that procedure till after. Maybe he wanted to attend one last Pro Bowl before he hung the cleats up. I think he'll play, but it could be a thing where he needs to see how his hip responds this off-season.

Evan Roberts radio show

Lots of good insight. Says the Cruz deal is mainly being held up on the amount of guaranteed money. Bradshaw decided to see what the market had to offer rather than accepting a pay-cut and 3rd RB role with the Giants at this time.

Jenny Vrentas ‏:DB Terrell Thomas has signed a new contract for 2013, as his tweet indicates. #nyg-------------------------No details yet as to the dollars. Thomas's old deal would have paid him in 2013: $750,000 + $6 million option bonus + $1.5 million roster bonus. Could be a lot of cap room gained by the new deal.

Jenny Vrentas:Thomas' base salary is $630,000, the minimum for his experience level, which also includes a split of $358,000, i.e. a lesser value to be earned if he lands on injured reserve for a third straight year. Thomas received a $35,000 signing bonus and has a $35,000 workout bonus, and he can earn up to $500,000 in playing-time incentives -- though it's unclear what the triggers are for that money.To summarize: Thomas signed a one-year deal worth $700,000, with a max value of $1.2 million and just $35,000 guaranteed.----------------------------------------------------Puts the Giants around $5 million under the cap.

I'll be rooting for Thomas to make it back. If we get 85% of what he once was, he'll help out the backend of our D.

I expect Thomas will be on the PUP for the half the season. I really hope he'll have the ability to still play CB. The Giants have a glut of talent at the safety spots.

Granted I haven't thought it through at all, but I think Freeney and Woodson would make great additions to the defense. Freeney doesn't have to play every down and keeps the D-line rotation scheme in pretty solid footing without Osi and Woodson can't do anything but help this secondary.

Granted I haven't thought it through at all, but I think Freeney and Woodson would make great additions to the defense. Freeney doesn't have to play every down and keeps the D-line rotation scheme in pretty solid footing without Osi and Woodson can't do anything but help this secondary.
I can see Freeney being able to contribute to the DL rotation. I’m not so sure that Woodson helps the secondary much at all. The Giants seem to be in pretty good shape at safety (assuming they keep either Phillips or Brown)

I can see Freeney being able to contribute to the DL rotation. I’m not so sure that Woodson helps the secondary much at all. The Giants seem to be in pretty good shape at safety (assuming they keep either Phillips or Brown)
I don't see Woodson being able to help either. The Giants have a ton of talent at the safety spot. Great for insurance against injuries, but how will they keep them all happy?Freeney could contribute, but the Giants can't afford him. I also think the team is looking for DE talent that will eventually replace Tuck so I don't think they will pursue an older vet.

woodson would be an excellent pickup but theres no denying it, this team will probably be a first round exit if they make it to the tournament -- unless our dline gets better talent and plays far better than they did last year.

My link
Beatty's contract is worth $37.5 million -- and up to $38.75 million, with incentives -- including $19 million fully guaranteed and a $12.5 million signing bonus, according to a person with knowledge of the terms of the deal. That person requested anonymity because the Giants do not disclose contract specifics

Looks like Baas and Webster restructured their contracts. Webster and Baas both down by ca. $3 mil each. Good news for the Gmen.

Looks like Baas and Webster restructured their contracts. Webster and Baas both down by ca. $3 mil each. Good news for the Gmen.
Webster will return at a reduced salary of $4 million in the final year of his contract, according to the original NFL Network report -- saving the Giants $3 million in both cash and cap, from what was his sizable cap number of $9.845 million.
Center David Baas also helped the cap-tight Giants, but without losing any money. He recently signed a simple restructure, converting $3 million of his base salary into a signing bonus, thus saving the Giants $2 million in salary-cap space for 2013.. His base salary for 2013 is now $1.25 million (changed from $4.25 million), and his cap number for 2013 is $4.725 million (down from $6.725 million).
My link

Rumors from various sources say the Giants are currently working on signing Bennett.

Some claims that Cruz will get offers from other teams even if the Giants give him a 1st round tenure. I don't see teams giving Cruz a huge contract and giving up a first to the Giants. Particularly when you look at how FA from the Giants have performed for their new teams. Grant did ok and the DT that went to Washington but other than them the ones in recent years haven't done anything.

Giants are rumored to have contacted the agents of Josh Cribbs, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman and Dominique Rodgers Cromartie.

Rumors from various sources say the Giants are currently working on signing Bennett. Some claims that Cruz will get offers from other teams even if the Giants give him a 1st round tenure. I don't see teams giving Cruz a huge contract and giving up a first to the Giants. Particularly when you look at how FA from the Giants have performed for their new teams. Grant did ok and the DT that went to Washington but other than them the ones in recent years haven't done anything.Giants are rumored to have contacted the agents of Josh Cribbs, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman and Dominique Rodgers Cromartie.
I really want Cruz & Bennett back

Giants sign Cullen Jenkins to a 3 year 8 million deal

My link

I think his cap hit for 2013 is just over 1 million
Good replacement for Canty. Would have liked someone younger but at a price much less than Canty would have been and only two years older than Canty. Can't argue with that.

Any word on what Cruz is looking for in a long term deal?
I haven't heard anything but here is quote from Mara
We've made him a very substantial offer but his agent feels like he wants to test the market a little bit and that's his right to do that. Again, we'd love to have Victor back. He's been a great player."

Any word on what Cruz is looking for in a long term deal?
I haven't heard anything but here is quote from Mara
We've made him a very substantial offer but his agent feels like he wants to test the market a little bit and that's his right to do that. Again, we'd love to have Victor back. He's been a great player."
The problem, according to several NFL sources, is that Cruz and his agents believe he should be paid like a No. 1 NFL receiver, and the going rate for that is a contract in the range of $11 million per year. Cruz, a former undrafted free agent, certainly can back up his case with his numbers over the last two seasons. He’s become a star for the Giants, catching 168 passes for 2,628 yards and 19 touchdowns.
My link

Looks like Martellus Bennett is going to sign with the Bears. I'd like to have kept him and had hopes what he could develop into. But I'm confident the Giants can adequately fill the hole.

Aaron Ross has been brought back to the Giants after a year with Jacksonville. Good depth.

Giants bringing in S Ryan Mundy, a former Steeler for a visit. He's young and can play both safety spots.

Signed K Josh Brown, so it will be Brown and Beuhler battling for the kicking job thus far. For fantasy purposes the Giants kicker has been great in recent years and can usually be gotten after several other kickers are off the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love dansby, but wanted us to get some speedy linebackers
More speed would be nice, but a vet like Dansby with some good skills still would be nice in the mike position. Williams is speedy and so is Rivers if he re-signs and can stay healthy.

I love dansby, but wanted us to get some speedy linebackers
More speed would be nice, but a vet like Dansby with some good skills still would be nice in the mike position. Williams is speedy and so is Rivers if he re-signs and can stay healthy.
rivers is two years injured, we already have Terrell Thomas, we can't be hoarding so many questionable health guys
Vrentas confirms Keith Rivers re-signs with the Giants. He's had nagging injuries, I wonder if it's an issue of his offseason conditioning. In comparisson Terrell Thomas, the question is what will he have left after a 3rd ACL. I hope this last one wasn't as severe as the others.

tara sullivan @Record_Tara

David Diehl to stay w/Giants after reaching agreement to restructure deal, per source. Down from $4.8; checking into how big reduction is.

According to Vrentras, Giants have discussed Justin Durant. LB from DET, known for His Run-Stuffing.

I'm happy they didn't sign Keller, he seems very one dimensional. As long as Mike Pope is on the staff, I have complete confidence that they will develop Adrien Robinson or pick up a Kevin Boss and be fine.

I'm happy they didn't sign Keller, he seems berybone dimensional. As long as Mike Pope is on the staff, I have complete confidence that they will develop Adrien Robinson or pick up a Kevin Boss and be fine.
I have confidence in Pope too. Boss I believe has retired due to concussions.

Giants quietly doing what they do best. Putting together a team of solid players with solid depth while not breaking the bank.

The signings so far have pretty much offset their loses.

Another great move by the Giantshttp://www.nfl.com/freeagencyIan RapoportTE Brandon Myers agreed to a deal with the #Giants, I'm told. Solid. Signing expected soon.
GREAT pickup. Had a really nice season last year for an inconsistent raiders team. As I recall, he can block well and last year showed some surprising receiving skills. I was bummed when Bennett wasn't re-upped, but this plus that need very nicely.

Another great move by the Giantshttp://www.nfl.com/freeagencyIan RapoportTE Brandon Myers agreed to a deal with the #Giants, I'm told. Solid. Signing expected soon.
GREAT pickup. Had a really nice season last year for an inconsistent raiders team. As I recall, he can block well and last year showed some surprising receiving skills. I was bummed when Bennett wasn't re-upped, but this plus that need very nicely.
He's a poor run blocker I think, but has terrific hands. I believe he had the best catch ratio of any TE last season (?), so he should be a strong addiction for Eli.

He's a poor run blocker I think, but has terrific hands. I believe he had the best catch ratio of any TE last season (?), so he should be a strong addiction for Eli.
I thought that he had not caught much prior to last year because they used him primarily for blocking, but I won't admit to knowing that much more about him other than his surprise fantasy relevance last year.ETA: Indeed, looks like he is not a strong blocker, so my bad there. Will be good to see him with Pope though, and perhaps the Giants mix it us or use some two TE formations to provide for what weakness he has in the blocking game.

I thought that he had not caught much prior to last year because they used him primarily for blocking, but I won't admit to knowing that much more about him other than his surprise fantasy relevance last year.ETA: Indeed, looks like he is not a strong blocker, so my bad there. Will be good to see him with Pope though, and perhaps the Giants mix it us or use some two TE formations to provide for what weakness he has in the blocking game.
He graded out as a poor run blocker last year. But I am not too concerned. He was with the Raiders and that organization still seems to a bit of a mess. I think it is something that is fixable. Like how Bennett turned his career around after getting out of the underachieving environment of the Cowboys.Same with the Conner signing. I think he hasn't been in the right situation to fully display his abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread